• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hm, ok. The game feels more and more like a beta. Now my leader died, his eldest son became the successor. He has two brothers but I can't assign them as heir. If I do grant them land, I can assign them as heir but get the message that it's not the right successor of the clan.
Is there any way I can fix that? It's stupid and annoying, the brother of the current leader (same mother/father) should be valid as successor, shouldn't he?

Oh, also: I thought when exchanging hostages it would only be the young children. But now he took my eldest son 19 year old ...

Ah, I got a new guy at my court and he wants to be minister of diplomacy but when I want to reassign a new minister, there's noone to choose from (tried reloading the save). Is it a bug or did I miss something?

Been quite while since I played, but I think your eldest son normally inherits unless you are the clan leader, and in that case if you pick someone else you need to make sure the vassals like you and the chosen guy so they will vote for him. You may not have enough support yet but as time goes on (and gifts are sent, etc.) you may gain the votes.

Edit: it sounds like maybe the clan leader has a candidate and you are possibly voting for someone else? If you're his vassal it works the other way around, and maybe there's a way to help your guy get support like plots or diplomacy, I don't think I ever dabbled in that part of the politics.

the manual said:
During the Sengoku era, inheritance passed down
to the eldest male child. If you are a Kokujin or Daimyo, your oldest
son at the time of your character’s death will succeed him and assume
his landed titles. If you are Clan Leader, though, you must nominate an
Heir, and then maintain enough power within the Clan to ensure that
the other nobles in the Clan vote for him as the new Clan Leader when
your character dies.

The exchange of "honored guests" can be any unlanded people (relatives?) in your court I think, not just kids. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to appoint a new counselor.

As I started as the clanleader (I chose Ochi clan, had no vassals, so I was the leader from the very start), he died, now his eldest son is the successor which means: I'm playing the clanleader again.

Yes, the game always wants to set the eldest son (which is now a hostage for peace's sake ...) as the next successor but as the clanleader's other two brothers are older and have better stats I want one of them as successor.
I have two vassals:
- A guy that married the clanleader's sister (the previous clanleader's daughter ofc, he got to marry her before the old man died) and who was diplomacy counselor before.
- And the clanleader's youngest brother (as the eldest still works as watch captain [? I'm not playing in english, it's the third counselor position]) has been made a vassal to see if I could put him into successor's position as I couldn't do that before.

The relation to all of my counselors and vassals are above 80 (mostly near 100).

So, there's no way to choose which one will be the hostage? I doubt anyone would give his eldest (already married and 19 years old) son away if there are other two sons and daugthers.

So, there's no way to choose which one will be the hostage? I doubt anyone would give his eldest (already married and 19 years old) son away if there are other two sons and daugthers.

I do not remember very much about the hostage system, but I recall the AI always tries to make an exchange that's really to their advantage, but you may be able to refuse and counter offer? It may not be feasible, but if you get some new lands I believe you can give one to the son, then he's too important to be a hostage.

I think after a few years the 'honored guests' return to their homelands, but of course a lot can happen in that time.

So, when you hire ronins you see how much they cost at first but not how much their cost is over time. Currently I have too many ronin troops and I want to dismiss some of them but there seems to be no button for that.
I don't want to wait until my money is out and I don't want to start a war for nothing just to have them get killed. Is there any option I'm failing to see to get rid of some hired ronin troops?

So, when you hire ronins you see how much they cost at first but not how much their cost is over time. Currently I have too many ronin troops and I want to dismiss some of them but there seems to be no button for that.
I don't want to wait until my money is out and I don't want to start a war for nothing just to have them get killed. Is there any option I'm failing to see to get rid of some hired ronin troops?

I'm thinking there should be a dismiss button somewhere, either on the military page or someplace when you click on the troops, but I don't think I messed around much with ronin.

Whats the difference between Infantry, Calvalry and Arqubuises? Like what benefits does each give?

Infantry has some shock but no fire and has limited movement. Cavalry has more shock and still no fire and moves more. Arquebusieers have no shock but lots of fire. Infantry and arquebusieers are used for storming the walls while cavalry is not. I think in battle arqs are making better second line than infantry. So infantry in the center, arqs to the back and cavalry for the wings.

Reactions: