• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
i was a leader in my 50's. i gained the "leper" thing and gave myself 4 wifes just to make sure i had a heir. but it didnt work out.. is there a chance at all?

also if i build a teater does that mean i can get ninjas without searching for them?

i was a leader in my 50's. i gained the "leper" thing and gave myself 4 wifes just to make sure i had a heir. but it didnt work out.. is there a chance at all?

also if i build a teater does that mean i can get ninjas without searching for them?

There is very likely a chance but a small chance. Maybe if you marry a fertility trait wife...

I had the same but no luck for all the guy's life. Game is not over if you have a heir showing up in the window. You'll keep playing with this one but you will lose multiple benefits.

For ninjas, oh no. Not sure if building a theater really decreases the time to find a ninja group.

I noticed something too: at start of the game, ninjas are most quickly available to the player than towards the mid and end game, for master of the guard with same intrigue stat.

No, it means then when you are searching for them, you have a +200% chance of finding one. Again, this doesn't speed anything up. I think that when your Master of the Guard is searching there is a periodic evaluation of whether he finds a ninja or not, Theaters just increase his chances in that province when the periodic check comes up. Remember that his Intrigue value also impacts the success.

Why was this on page four!

Anyway, quick question... can anyone explain how the whole "vassals ask for titles" thing works? I've been getting these events, but I'm not really sure how to make good on my promises! So like... say Vassal A asks for a kokujin title... I promise him one. A few years later, I conquer a new province, what do I do? Do I simply Grant him the title and that's it? What if I have multiple people promised? Does it have to be the first new kori I conquer or can I put it off a little longer, if there's a large war, for example?

Also, there's been a recurring even for me about some person sending sucky soldiers and getting offended when I don't "reward" him... is this related at all to this or something completely different?

Anyway, quick question... can anyone explain how the whole "vassals ask for titles" thing works? I've been getting these events, but I'm not really sure how to make good on my promises! So like... say Vassal A asks for a kokujin title... I promise him one. A few years later, I conquer a new province, what do I do? Do I simply Grant him the title and that's it? What if I have multiple people promised? Does it have to be the first new kori I conquer or can I put it off a little longer, if there's a large war, for example?

Also, there's been a recurring even for me about some person sending sucky soldiers and getting offended when I don't "reward" him... is this related at all to this or something completely different?

I don't think there's any negative for not giving the guy the title that you actually promise him, it's just a periodic event with him asking for more titles and a relationship +/- depending on your response. I made the mistake of giving out more Kokujin titles when I started conquering territories, next thing I know I have two breakaway plots starting and some overzealous Kokujin to assassinate within my own vassalage.

As far as I can tell,

All your direct vassals will occasionally ask you for either a kokujin or daimyo. I believe certain traits increase and decrease the frequency of the requests.

To fulfill the promise, you grant the title like you would even if you did not make the promise. It also has to be the next title you grant to count. So if you have multiple people promised at once, you can only possibly satisfy one of them. The promises can also time out if you take too long to fulfill them.

In general, I deny most requests. It gives a -10 to relation for a time, but it is better than the permenant -20 to relation you get for breaking a promise. Making promises gives a +5 relation but only until you fulfill the promise. If you make sure that most of your vassals are of your same dynasty and you have given them at least one title sometime during your rule, the relations bonuses from that will counteract any -10 and still leave you positive.

As for the reoccuring event, it is a new random event from the 1.2 patch that is designed to lower your relations with a vassal and is unrelated to the requests for titles.

Thanks for the responses!

Another small question, regarding ronin this time. Is their upkeep significantly higher than that of regular retinues or is it about the same? Also, I noticed some ronin (old ones, I would guess) were led by my court masters... do they get reassigned if their leader dies or something?

In general, any info regarding ronin is appreciated! For example... does it matter much which province I have my master look for them?

Thanks for the responses!

Another small question, regarding ronin this time. Is their upkeep significantly higher than that of regular retinues or is it about the same? Also, I noticed some ronin (old ones, I would guess) were led by my court masters... do they get reassigned if their leader dies or something?

In general, any info regarding ronin is appreciated! For example... does it matter much which province I have my master look for them?

In terms of maintence cost,

Ronin > Retinue > Levy

Defines.lua specifically states that Ronin cost 25% of their recruit cost (if I am reading it right) whereas Retinue cost 20% and Levy 10%.

When a leader dies, his personal retinue become ronin for his heir. I believe his coutier with the highest martial score takes over the unit.

Ronin also take advantage of and count against your province impovements. If you build a swordsmith, that +2 to cavarly shock is divided not only between your cavalry retinue but also any cavalry ronin you may have. For example, if you have 4 cavalry retinue and 4 cavalry ronin, they will receive a +0.25 bonus to shock rather than the +0.50 bonus (max possible bonus) you would get if you only had just the 4 retinue. Of course, you can build a 2nd swordsmith in another province to get another +2 shock which I do since I love high shock cavarly armies.

As for finding Ronin, I am still not sure on it. It seems that the characters from defeated clans wander with armies after their clan is destroyed, and that they go in random directions. It also seems that they have a "chance" of being detected when they are in one of your provinces and that having your master search only increases the odds that you would find a ronin that was already in yoru territory. I think this is why finding Ronin very early in the game is difficult while finding them later in the game is somewhat easier. Of course, I cannot confirm anything on the ronin finding mechanic myself, but it seems accurate from my testing.

How does "-2 health" (trait: 'wounded') influence the character?

Probably shortening his life and/or making him more vulnerable to disease like pneumonia.

This. Wounded is a prerequisite for certain other illnesses (ie, wounded can get worse). Also, I think (not sure) that fertility is somehow weighted by health, but don't take my word on it.

No, it means then when you are searching for them, you have a +200% chance of finding one. Again, this doesn't speed anything up. I think that when your Master of the Guard is searching there is a periodic evaluation of whether he finds a ninja or not, Theaters just increase his chances in that province when the periodic check comes up. Remember that his Intrigue value also impacts the success.

Actually there are a limited set of ninja clans, and when they're done with whatever they've been doing, they look for new work. All MoG looking for Ninja will then compete for the contract, using their intrigue and the bonus from all the theaters in your demesne. The longer he's been looking, the higher chance he has of signing the clan. When signing a clan, the time investment will be reset.

I have a question about how the heir system works. Does your clan heir have to be your direct heir, or can you nominate someone else from your family(ie hojo). In other words, what if my brother became the new clan leader instead of my son. Would I then play as my brother, be subjugated to an ai brother clan leader, or would the game end?

What's the point of martial + intrigue on your main character?

Martial gives you bonuses when commanding armies, since it is yourself who commands your retinue, it can be quite powerful in the right hands. Not sure about intrigue though.

I have a question about how the heir system works. Does your clan heir have to be your direct heir, or can you nominate someone else from your family(ie hojo). In other words, what if my brother became the new clan leader instead of my son. Would I then play as my brother, be subjugated to an ai brother clan leader, or would the game end?

You can nominate someone else from your family to be clan leader, HOWEVER, when you die, you will play as your oldest son, and not the clan heir. What you can do is nominate your brother, and once he inherits the clan save and load choosing him instead of your previous character's son.

I noticed in some of my games since 1.2 that I am getting new vassals when I'm conquering provinces, even though I didn't grant a title. It can't be a title one of my own vassals granted since then they would create a vassal of their own, right? So what explains these new vassals popping up? It's confusing and kinda annoying and I can't remember this sort of thing happening before in 1.1.

I noticed in some of my games since 1.2 that I am getting new vassals when I'm conquering provinces, even though I didn't grant a title. It can't be a title one of my own vassals granted since then they would create a vassal of their own, right? So what explains these new vassals popping up? It's confusing and kinda annoying and I can't remember this sort of thing happening before in 1.1.

I actually would like some clarification on this as well.

I believe the appearance of new vassals in your court is related to the death of one of your Daimyo. If my current understanding the system right, you inherit your daimyo's vassals on his death. I admit that I have not been paying it much attention, and I have a habit of just transfering the new Kokujin back to an existing Daimyo as soon as I notice them. If it does work like this, I wonder why the Kokujin who inherits the Daimyo title cannot also inherit all of his former lord's Kokujin as well.