• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Am I supposed to be seeing this? Is this what it looks like: the "mission" for the AI? Or is it somehow related to my own current plot to attack the Uesugi? This is from the marriage screen for one of my daughters.

marriageh.png

In the same vein, is there supposed to be a disconnect between what the stated reasoning for the response to diplomatic actions and what they actually want? Right now Osaki are inviting me into a plot to attack the Uesugi, all the while they don't want to join my plot to attack the Uesugi because they "have no intention of fighting them at the moment".

One more thing. The marriage interface seems to present a different selection of potential wives, dependent on Ifni-knows-what criteria. Very annoying to present a gift, and then go back to ask for marriage, but not be able to find the object of my wooing. What's going on here?

This has been reported as a bug. Probably just interface problems. Not all potential wives are shown at once.

Tips: 1) note down clan/dynasty of the woman you are wooing, if she is not present in marriage interface go directly to clan/dynasty to propose
2) exit from the marriage screen, open up something else (seems to need to clear itself or something I think) e.g. kori screen or ledger, then reopen marriage interface. this gets you a different selection of potential wives. repeat until wanted woman reappears.

Can Koukujin raise levies from their own provinces and can Daimyo raise levies from their own provinces and those of their vassals? I hope this feature isn't restricted solely to Clan Leaders. It could come down to whoever called them forward first would have control over them.

In the same vein, is there supposed to be a disconnect between what the stated reasoning for the response to diplomatic actions and what they actually want? Right now Osaki are inviting me into a plot to attack the Uesugi, all the while they don't want to join my plot to attack the Uesugi because they "have no intention of fighting them at the moment".

That is a bug that has been fixed for the patch.

Can Koukujin raise levies from their own provinces and can Daimyo raise levies from their own provinces and those of their vassals? I hope this feature isn't restricted solely to Clan Leaders. It could come down to whoever called them forward first would have control over them.

Only the clan leader can raise the levies, the original design was more fluent, but it could get really frustrating. KISS for the win. The vassals get their own retinue and ronin armies for this purpose.

This has been reported as a bug. Probably just interface problems. Not all potential wives are shown at once.
Okay, so long as it's noted. I can eventually work it around, but it's frustrating.

Tips: 1) note down clan/dynasty of the woman you are wooing, if she is not present in marriage interface go directly to clan/dynasty to propose
I tried doing a direct proposal, but it wouldn't work. Propose Marriage was greyed out for the intended bride because 'parents negotiate on behalf of the children', but I couldn't propose a marriage to the father because '[he] is the same gender as [my clan leader]'. It occurs to me now, after the fact that I might have been able to try the mother, but it would probably have been greyed out because she's already married.

2) exit from the marriage screen, open up something else (seems to need to clear itself or something I think) e.g. kori screen or ledger, then reopen marriage interface. this gets you a different selection of potential wives. repeat until wanted woman reappears.
Yeah, futzing around in different info panes did eventually refresh the list and allow the courtship to continue.

I tried doing a direct proposal, but it wouldn't work. Propose Marriage was greyed out for the intended bride because 'parents negotiate on behalf of the children', but I couldn't propose a marriage to the father because '[he] is the same gender as [my clan leader]'. It occurs to me now, after the fact that I might have been able to try the mother, but it would probably have been greyed out because she's already married.

I have found that if you go to the father and click marriage it will bring up his portrait and your portrait in the 'execute' window. You can then click on his portrait and replace it with another member of his family/court. Ditto for your portrait. It lets you bring up the proposal but not to ennact it if the genders are the same.

I have found that if you go to the father and click marriage it will bring up his portrait and your portrait in the 'execute' window. You can then click on his portrait and replace it with another member of his family/court. Ditto for your portrait. It lets you bring up the proposal but not to ennact it if the genders are the same.
Aha. It may have done that. It wasn't til the demo was nearly run through that I figured out how the actual marriage screen you get if you select a bride from the Marriage info pane is different to the diplomacy screen. I may give the demo another go at some point.

Am I correct to conclude that if Levy troops begin a siege, it counts as if the Clan Leader started it, and the province will belong to him once the siege is concluded?

Is there any way to determine who'll be assigned to lead any given army?

Hi,
I usually shy away from games as deep and subtle as this one, but I found myself hooked for once, despite a bit of difficulty to be successful, so I'd like to ask you guys a couple of quick questions if I may.

I've been wondering about Ronins, I know that when you hire a Ronin retinue, it works like your personal retinue, but costs more. I also noticed that you can make a ronin Kokujin of one of your provinces. What happens when you do? Technically, a Ronin with a kokujin title isn't a ronin anymore, but the retinue still seems to be available to me.
-Does it mean it's like a normal retinue?
-Does it still cost the same as any other ronin retinue to maintain?
-If it represents more than 5% of all military forces of your clan, do you still control it?
-What happens is you disband a Ronin retinue after you gave a landed title to their captain? Does the Ronin disappear or do you still have a vassal?
-If his retinue was still considered Ronin, after you disband it can he raise a personnal retinue like any other kokujin?

I had some Ikko Ikki take over a neighbouring province, and I thought I'd try to take it to get myself a second Daimyo title, and I started to look a little more closely at them. I'm not sur of the time frame, but in a couple of years they went from a standing army of 7k, to 14.5k, and in a province that can only support 4.5k. Also I tried an attack, and whittled them down to a couple of thousand (I lost however), and they were right back up at 14.5k in less than a month! Is those bugs or did I miss some crucial information on how Ikko Ikki work?

Thanks in advance

I read in someone's AAR that when they rescued hostages they joined their faction (and they used this to gain more women for marriages to other clans). When I rescue hostages they always seem to go back to their clan, is there a situation where they would join my family instead?

Could someone explain to me how hostages work in the game? I understand the real life idea (I take a guy from your family, if you piss me off, I kill him), but how does it work in the game? If my ninjas steal someone away and make them a hostage, then they attack me, does the hostage automatically get killed? How does that work?

Just did this in my first game actually, so when you make a Ronin character a kokujin:

You keep the Ronin retinue, with the kokujin in charge, and it acts like a normal ronin retinue. It still costs as much as any other ronin retinue. Not sure on the third point, but I would hazard to say that you would still control it.
I did disband the ronin retinue eventually, and the ronin vassal didn't disappear, and he has since raised a personal retinue.

So yes, yes, probably yes, still have a vassal, yes.

(Hope that helped?)

Also a question of my own:

Is it just me or is the general assigning interface /really/ buggy? I can't seem to choose who leads my armies, which does get on my nerves from time to time - am I missing something or wrong here?

Does who leads my armies even matter, and if so how do I control who leads 'em?

Can someone tell me what the weapon manufactures affect exactly? The in-game tooltip says only retinues are affected, but the manual seems to imply that all troops get a bonus, which seems more sensible to me. So which is it?

Is there any point in using regular infantry for my retinue? I notice that cavalry are overall better. Obviously they cost a little bit more, but the retinue won't normally be THAT big anyway. It also helps that you can focus your unit bonuses on one troop type.

Also, is there any point in getting Arquebusiers? What is special about them? Is it that they can also fight from the second row, or something? Will there be many situations where you have large enough armies that you have more than one line?

Is there any point in using regular infantry for my retinue? I notice that cavalry are overall better. Obviously they cost a little bit more, but the retinue won't normally be THAT big anyway. It also helps that you can focus your unit bonuses on one troop type.

Troops get diminishing bonuses if you have too many of only one type. You can see it when you hover up the strenghts of each type in the military screen.

Also, is there any point in getting Arquebusiers? What is special about them? Is it that they can also fight from the second row, or something? Will there be many situations where you have large enough armies that you have more than one line?

I'm not sure if they can fight from the second row, but they are able to attack diagonally just as cavalry, so multiple regiments can attack a single one. They also got a huge bonus on the first fire phase of any combat.

Oooh.. I guess I should have suspected that diminishing returns thing. Is it big? That is, how many du you have to have before it starts becoming a problem?

Also, where exactly did you say I could see it? What do you mean by strength?

Last edited:
Few questions. Is it possible to form an alliance? I understand you can plot, which is like a one time offensive alliance. But is it possible to form a defensive one or a lasting one?

And this one is an oddity to me. My son and heir is also the head of another clan, in a situation which I assume is like a personal union(don't remember marrying him of, though I guess I must have). What happens when I die? Do I get the few provinces he owns as well as well as my current ones? He also is at war with the Uesegi, will that carry over to me when he takes over?