• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quick Question:

- "Invite to clan" How does it work? What are the requirements? Even tho my Honor exceeds in 10.0 points to those I pretend to "Invite to my clan" the option is greyed-out. I'm sure I'm missing something but I don't know what.

Thanks in advance

Re-reading the manual changes thread I've found that "Invite to clan cannot be used on independents, only on direct vassals of another Clan leader" So I'm guessing that I can't invite any other weaker clan, only vassals right?

If you obliterate a clan to oblivion, they no longer exist and no hostages can be hold accordingly.

When at war, an option to settle peace allows an exchange of hostages from both sides. Hostages are AI chosen (for what I observed) and might be deprived of a social life (like reproducing) To be checked though.

Hostages are used to strengthen a peace deal and enforce a truce period of time. A clan can return a hostage before the time line for a small loss in honour. Hostages can be freed through ninja operations.

Declaring war on a clan holding one hostage of your clan gives a large penalty in honour (like 20 points) and the hostage (both sides) are immediately executed (to be considered if you have sent the heir for example)

Many clans start with hostages. They might be returned collaterally or unilaterally.

Screens (I think the court, the clan or individual profile) shows a small box list with a text like "has hostage from... Has sent hostage to...) Clicking on the line leads to the hostage.
Works for any clan as you might need to free hostage to favour plottings (due to the huge penalty, clan leaders are very unlikely to join a plot on a target if they have sent a hostage to them)

Okay, so there is a list of hostages that I can look at. But where do I keep getting hostages from clans that I've never had diplomatic contact with?

Please excuse me if it is already here, been reading and experimenting.
I have X levies that have arrived in a koki (or is it koku :( ). One has an "excellent" commander (Martial >= 12) - which is probably a vassal/courtier from the Levy "owner". What can I do, when/if I join the levies to get them all under a better martial commander, than what seems to be the default - worst case.

I can repair it a bit when it goes bad, but the great martial leader never seems to take command. Suggestions welcome.

Please excuse me if it is already here, been reading and experimenting.
I have X levies that have arrived in a koki (or is it koku :( ). One has an "excellent" commander (Martial >= 12) - which is probably a vassal/courtier from the Levy "owner". What can I do, when/if I join the levies to get them all under a better martial commander, than what seems to be the default - worst case.

I can repair it a bit when it goes bad, but the great martial leader never seems to take command. Suggestions welcome.

I've seen the question asked several times, but no answer as yet. Not that it really seems to matter. Pile 1000 more troops than the opposition into the fight and you'll win it.

I seem to be terrible at the game. My memory is too short to remember where the clans are. I would so much like a "back" key. While looking for a marriage partner, want to see location, then have to start all over again with back to leader, find marriage candidate, click marriage, hmm, they are gone, who to pick now, etc..
would also like a way to see when an army will arrive before sending it off, or changing orders.

but from what I read of people who are successful, I just don't seem to get the feel for it. Getting frustrating.

p.s. thanks for the advice - I read it mean dont worry about battles too much. Although my armies seem to lose more than they win, even with better numbers.
my bad luck, (if not bad skill :p @ me) but I think I'll try playing with plots next. Never been able to get anyone to invite me; never found a ronin; etc..

Huzid: sounds like you are on the same learning curve many of us have been facing. Personally when looking for marriage partners I now short list them with pen and paper and then go looking for their geography, etc. Then I can go straight to their clan to propose rather than through the marriage interface. Hopefully this will be patched up for us before too long, and a 'back' button thrown in to boot. (Still think I might use the pen and paper though... especially at the beginning of a game.)

For the next door kori you can send the army off, see how long it is going to take and then cancel the order without a problem. Close to home I will raise my levies just to find out travel times and disband them as soon as I have a rough time map down (...pen and paper). Doesn't cost you anything if you do it quick (or while paused). It would be nice to have real multi-kori travel times - must be too hard for the computer to calculate them :laugh:.

I've found out that over a few games I now know the mini areas near my starting positions somewhat. It's just like being in a new city really.

I seem to be terrible at the game. My memory is too short to remember where the clans are. I would so much like a "back" key. While looking for a marriage partner, want to see location, then have to start all over again with back to leader, find marriage candidate, click marriage, hmm, they are gone, who to pick now, etc..

Looking for a marriage with a purpose might solve it. If you look for good stats, look for absorbing another dynasty, look for appeasement etc, look for more children etc... Not really a big deal as so many women can serve a purpose in the game. Not really useful to focus on one woman especially.

When working from goals, you look most of the times at the father in order to see if you can seal that deal.

While looking for a marriage partner, want to see location, then have to start all over again with back to leader, find marriage candidate, click marriage, hmm, they are gone, who to pick now, etc..
This is also complicated by a current bug which fails to consistently show all potential marriage partners in the marriage interface, so the swquence you describe seems almost always to lead to losing track of the intended spouse.

my armies seem to lose more than they win, even with better numbers.
I don't think I've ever seen a significantly smaller army win except when they're defending a water crossing (or an Assault on a castle). Mountains help the defender too, so try and make sure you're not attacking across a river or strait into some mountains.

never found a ronin; etc..
Ronin just turn up randomly I beleive. My first run through the demo, when I never had any money, they were popping out the woodwork every couple of years. The second run through when I had plenty dosh I think one showed up in 15 years.

Why does it appear, and to me it is real, that the AI builds faster villages and castles than I can as the human player?
Am I wrong, or is it an advantage for the AI?
How can I overcome this in the game.
I have been playing mostly as Nanbu in the northen corner of Japan.

Why does it appear, and to me it is real, that the AI builds faster villages and castles than I can as the human player?
Am I wrong, or is it an advantage for the AI?
How can I overcome this in the game.
I have been playing mostly as Nanbu in the northen corner of Japan.
It doesn't, necessarily. It just looks like it does. Every vassal (landholder) in each clan gets a court, with a MC and a Master at Arms. If they only have one or two provinces, it/they will be continually being upgraded. You probably have more than two Kori, so your upgrade capacity is spread across several Kori. Fortunately, each vassal in your own clan gets their court too. If you run your clan with few strong vassals, your clan will fall behind one where no vassal has more than a couple of Kori, in the upgrading race.

Unless you have rubbish court officers. Their scores matter wrt speed of building, I gather, so if you've got a numpty for an MC your villages will upgrade more slowly.

But you'll want to hold unupgradedable provinces for the income they provide.

You can only upgrade two provinces at once. But they take a 70% hit in income. Thus you want the other 3 provinces, with as good a village building as possible to bring in the cash.

I keep 2 of my original provinces and upgrade them constantly, then I swap out the other 3 provinces with the best of my new conquests. That way the AI will upgrade my provinces for me.

Likewise if your vasals are bigger than two provinces this will slow down the rate at which they upgrade.

Hi all !

I may be blind or something, but now that my mighty realm expands on 55% on the map.... how do I claim the Shogun title ?

[edit] Hey ! I AM blind: after 30 mins reading the game manual, forums and all, I asked my question here, alt-tabed back to the game, and saw the "CLAIM THE SHOGUNATE" button just below my character's portrait.

If it was asked, I missed it...

but some games my clan doesn't have the decision available for Court Rank Jugoi... not even listed... anyone know why this is?

You're not a daimyo.

ATM you need a daimyo title to have it. after the patch an independent clan leader with a 3 province demesne will have it as well.

Didn't see this covered in this thread, but why does, if my master of ceremonies/arms dies, the build progress of the village/castle reset to 0 when I fill the position? Is this a bug?

Didn't see this covered in this thread, but why does, if my master of ceremonies/arms dies, the build progress of the village/castle reset to 0 when I fill the position? Is this a bug?

intended. Characters are important, don't have old advisors.

posibly changed in patch.