• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oooh.. I guess I should have suspected that diminishing returns thing. Is it big? That is, how many du you have to have before it starts becoming a problem?

Also, where exactly did you say I could see it? What do you mean by strength?

In the military screen, where it displays the shock and fire values of your retinue's regiments, if you hover them, it will show what is modifying it, and among the factors, there will be the penalty from going over your limit. Unfortunately, I don't remember how many you could get, but it was clear in the tooltip.

I think I have looked in this thread for my question but did not see it, sorry if it's a double post.

I am wondering how to deal with revolts.

Here is an example, this issue came about after attacking one other clan.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595822798152468493/8DD07DEF340D6D552BDF72123072E4BA44ED14AF/

Also one more question, is there any way to reduce the risk of civil war? or at least detect it before it happens. I was in a game last night with no matter what move I made my clan would break off into civil war and that would be the end of it.

Thanks!

Hi dhw,

You are currently over your demesne limit, that increases revolt risk for all your provinces. You can avoid that by granting land titles to some courtiers or by building theaters at your provinces. Notice that provinces also get some revolt risk right after being conquered.

As for the civil war, being in good relation with your pretenders should lower the chance of it happening. Also, if you feel you can't avoid it, try sending the troublesome vassal to a monastery or forcing him to commit seppuku. Make sure they are low on honor or else they might reffuse and that will incur a penalty to relations.

Last edited:
Hi dhw,

You are currently over your demesne limit, that increases revolt risk for all your provinces. You can avoid that by granting land titles to some courtiers or by building theaters at your provinces. Notice that provinces also get some revolt risk right after being conquered.

As for the civil war, being in good relation with your pretenders should lower the chance of it happening. Also, if you feel you can't avoid it, try sending the troublesome vassal to a monastery or forcing him to commit seppuku. Make sure they are low on honor or else they might reffuse and that will incur a penalty to relations.

Thanks a lot, I was wondering if there was some way I could remove a vassal. I will have to try my last game again now, maybe you just saved it!

Few questions. Is it possible to form an alliance? I understand you can plot, which is like a one time offensive alliance. But is it possible to form a defensive one or a lasting one?

And this one is an oddity to me. My son and heir is also the head of another clan, in a situation which I assume is like a personal union(don't remember marrying him of, though I guess I must have). What happens when I die? Do I get the few provinces he owns as well as well as my current ones? He also is at war with the Uesegi, will that carry over to me when he takes over?

No you cannot form an alliance.

Your son will have inherited through marriage. See if there is marriage to any women from the dynasty of his court.

When you die (if you die before your son) all the kori (provinces) will be united as yours. I don't think that the war will carry over.

Hi,

U can have max 5 province, right? Well some more if u risk rebellion but generally u can have 5. And u dont get tax or some money form ur vassals, right? If u raise troops on your vassal province u still have to pay for them, right?
U have to support 2000men if u hold 1% of japan from the same income as if u hold 50% of japan with 100000men. Ofc its not possible to support 100k men form 5 province income.
Am I missing something or u cant win this game?

Hi,

U can have max 5 province, right? Well some more if u risk rebellion but generally u can have 5. And u dont get tax or some money form ur vassals, right? If u raise troops on your vassal province u still have to pay for them, right?
U have to support 2000men if u hold 1% of japan from the same income as if u hold 50% of japan with 100000men. Ofc its not possible to support 100k men form 5 province income.
Am I missing something or u cant win this game?

You get 20% tax from your direct vassals. You can also develop your villages to get more income. Trust me, some people have already won the game.

Troops get diminishing bonuses if you have too many of only one type. You can see it when you hover up the strenghts of each type in the military screen.

Guilds are quite confusing. But you have got this wrong. Each guild gives a bonus of 2 to shock or fire. However the max bonus any unit can have is +0.5. The total bonus is divided by your number of units of that type.

In conclusion each guild gives a full bonus to 4 units of that type (or 1000 men). For example a swordsmith will give a +0.5 shock bonus to 4 units of cavalry. If you have 1 unit of cavalry it will have a 0.5 bonus. If you have 3 units 0.5 bonus. If you have 8 units you will have a 0.25 bonus. The amount of infantry you have is irrelevant to this calculation.

So if you have 3 swordsmiths and 3 horsebreeders you can field 3000 top notch cavalry. whether you have 3000 infantry or 0 infantry it won't make any difference.

Is there any way to 'enforce religious unity' on my vassals? Specifically, have them destroy buildings from the wrong religion and build the ones I want?

So what to do, if my court is empty and I need a new advisor? Over the course of 20 years my leader survived several advisors and now my wives are the only ones in the court and I can't appoint a new master of xxx. I have some vassals and they have courtiers themselves...other clans seem to have more people willing to work in the court, too. :(

also, is it normal that I only get between 3-5 gold per month, while my budget states that my income is in the 50-60 and my expenses are minimal (around 10) since I only have some retinues?

So what to do, if my court is empty and I need a new advisor? Over the course of 20 years my leader survived several advisors and now my wives are the only ones in the court and I can't appoint a new master of xxx. I have some vassals and they have courtiers themselves...other clans seem to have more people willing to work in the court, too. :(

also, is it normal that I only get between 3-5 gold per month, while my budget states that my income is in the 50-60 and my expenses are minimal (around 10) since I only have some retinues?

1) atm not much you can do, will be fixed in the patch. When your leader dies you will get a new court.

2) Budget is yearly. Income is monthly. 60/12 = 5.

Is there any way to 'enforce religious unity' on my vassals? Specifically, have them destroy buildings from the wrong religion and build the ones I want?

No and its really anoying. You have to make sure you capture all temples yourself so you can destroy the building before you give it out. If vassals grab one you have to demand the province from them which will cause trouble.

A clan decision to do this would be really usefull. *Hint*Cpt.Gars*Hint*

(Trying this again. The forum doesn't seem to want to let me post on this thread)

Two things: are hostages taken as loot when you win a war? Not hostages from the clan you just stomped (which would actually make sense, assuming they aren't wiped out yet), but do you take whatever hostages they were holding from other clans that aren't involved in your war? Because I tend to get a lot of "hostage returned" to clans that I've never fought and never talked to from the other end of Japan a few years after wining a war.

Second, is there a way to see who you have hostage? Is there a way to release hostages for relations bonuses? Is there a way to ransom hostages for money, land, alliances, engagements, or anything else of interest? Is it possible to keep someone hostage permanently as insurance or just to keep a high-stat character out of enemy hands?

If you obliterate a clan to oblivion, they no longer exist and no hostages can be hold accordingly.

When at war, an option to settle peace allows an exchange of hostages from both sides. Hostages are AI chosen (for what I observed) and might be deprived of a social life (like reproducing) To be checked though.

Hostages are used to strengthen a peace deal and enforce a truce period of time. A clan can return a hostage before the time line for a small loss in honour. Hostages can be freed through ninja operations.

Declaring war on a clan holding one hostage of your clan gives a large penalty in honour (like 20 points) and the hostage (both sides) are immediately executed (to be considered if you have sent the heir for example)

Many clans start with hostages. They might be returned collaterally or unilaterally.

Screens (I think the court, the clan or individual profile) shows a small box list with a text like "has hostage from... Has sent hostage to...) Clicking on the line leads to the hostage.
Works for any clan as you might need to free hostage to favour plottings (due to the huge penalty, clan leaders are very unlikely to join a plot on a target if they have sent a hostage to them)

Quick Question:

- "Invite to clan" How does it work? What are the requirements? Even tho my Honor exceeds in 10.0 points to those I pretend to "Invite to my clan" the option is greyed-out. I'm sure I'm missing something but I don't know what.

Thanks in advance

Does an army only form cavalry move faster on map? Or what is the advantage in cavalry? Cause they cannot attack castles, that is a pretty big drawback.
They can attack castles, but not Assault them. Cavalry make a good force to invest a castle with as they have the mobility to intercept incoming supply shipments and chase down anyone leaving the castle.

They can attack castles, but not Assault them. Cavalry make a good force to invest a castle with as they have the mobility to intercept incoming supply shipments and chase down anyone leaving the castle.
This means footmen cant lock down a castle? So they get supply?
But cavalry is not faster on map?
And who can come out of a castle?
Can u put troops in your castle? As far as i know castles are auto manned and u cant move them out or move a levi or retainer in. Or can u?

Does an army only form cavalry move faster on map? Or what is the advantage in cavalry? Cause they cannot attack castles, that is a pretty big drawback.

As previously mentioned, they can siege but they aren't counted during assaults.

I'm not sure if they move any faster on the campaign map. An all samurai cavalry force might be reasonably faster in short spurts, but in grand strategy/operational level wargames, cavalry shouldn't move faster going long distances than soldiers on foot. It's not a matter of short sprint speed but endurance. And horses loaded down with a rider and other equipment tire even more easily than a man on foot.