• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi there. How do I re-enable a disabled alert (the ones at the top of your screen)? Not in the message screen at least.

My first wife who gives my ruler bonuses is always the latest wife I marry? I can't designate who is my first wife, if a wife dies she still occupies a wife slot, and sending one to the monastery marks their status as dead.

I think there is a limit of 5 traits per character. Exactly where that was stated eludes my memory, but I am fairly sure it is correct.

Is there any way to encourage AIs to plot, and when the plot is there to actually DO something? Joined a nice little plot and we would smash our designated target, but I find my armies just sitting there... waiting... spending my fortune...

Hi guys, I tried looking around for an answer, but I didn't find one, so here goes:

I'm trying to figure out why I sometimes survive as a landless lord. Is that a bug? Feature? Can I go on as a courtier in the court of my Clan leader, hoping to get a new province if the whim strikes him? I thought you could, but then sometimes when my last province is conquered, the game tells me it's game over...

Thanks in advance!

My first wife who gives my ruler bonuses is always the latest wife I marry? I can't designate who is my first wife, if a wife dies she still occupies a wife slot, and sending one to the monastery marks their status as dead.

Yes on all counts AFAIK.

The dev's have said that in an upcoming patch it will be the best stat of your wives for the relevant slot. I assume, however, that wife will still need to be alive!

Is there any way to encourage AIs to plot, and when the plot is there to actually DO something? Joined a nice little plot and we would smash our designated target, but I find my armies just sitting there... waiting... spending my fortune...

You have to wait for the AI to activate the plot (you will be given a message). They might not do this for a while, or ever, or they could even abandon the plot.

I am seeing some leaders start with a personal Demesne limit of 5, and others a limit of 6. Is there some way I just am failing to figure out of increasing the limit on my Daimyo from 5 to 6 ingame? Or is it set in stone forever at that number?

Just starting to play.

I wonder, is there no troop experience in this game? It's in HoI, Rome, EU3 even (tradition), but I can find no trace of it in this game. Or can only leaders gain (more) martial?

I am seeing some leaders start with a personal Demesne limit of 5, and others a limit of 6. Is there some way I just am failing to figure out of increasing the limit on my Daimyo from 5 to 6 ingame? Or is it set in stone forever at that number?

Wait, what? There is no 'limit' to your demense size. What does happen though is that you will get higher and high revoltrisk and income penalties as you own more provinces. Not sure what where you are seeing this number but maybe you are looking at max retinue size by mistake? That can change according to your landholder rank and also from village upgrades in provinces.

Wait, what? There is no 'limit' to your demense size. What does happen though is that you will get higher and high revoltrisk and income penalties as you own more provinces. Not sure what where you are seeing this number but maybe you are looking at max retinue size by mistake? That can change according to your landholder rank and also from village upgrades in provinces.

By "limit" people mean the max 5 provinces one can hold without incurring penalties. Every additional provinces causes 5% revolt risk in all provinces so if you build theaters in every province you can keep max 6 without incurring penalties. 7 or 8 might be doable but any more and you'll face rebellions all the time. In strictest sense there is no limit but in practice there very much is.

Has anyone run into a weird issue where an army gets stuck? I have an army that's been fighting for over a month without a single loss on either side. I don't get what's happened to it. Tried saving, reloading, etc, nothing works. Moving more units into or out of the province doesn't affect it at all, but they don't siege or anything, they just sit in the province as though it's friendly.

I did a quick search and nothing, so:

I'm playing with the demo, stumbling along without the manual, wanting to like the game. I have just started throwing my puny weight around, joining in a pigile on the Hosakawa. I'm kicking their armies around but:

Sieges aren't going anywhere. I have 3 times the Ashigaru in my besieging force, but it's saying the castle (level 2) can last for years. It has a Martial-14 commander and the commander of my levies is a Martial-5 character.

which leads (even if I'm just being impatient :) ) to:

How do you appoint a leader for a force? My clan leader (Martial-14) is the apparent leader of 3 of the contingents of troops in the siege, but some useless ninny appears to be in charge. If I split the force, some random member of the court or vassal appears to be getting made boss, which would be alright (at Martial-17) but that toad is the current heir, a job I want for my own son when he comes along... so I don't want him leading anything, if possible.

Do leaders only have children by their first wife? Or have I been incredibly unlucky with my secondary wives with fertility bonus traits all being sterile?

Is there no message log that can be scrolled through like all other Paradox games?

What's the point of the "neighboring kokujin is sick" event? I can't tell who's sick, and none of the options seem to include a "declare war" aspect, so it seems to be a lose lose lose event. (I can waste honor, waste gold, or piss off some random courtier.)

I did a quick search and nothing, so:

I'm playing with the demo, stumbling along without the manual, wanting to like the game. I have just started throwing my puny weight around, joining in a pigile on the Hosakawa. I'm kicking their armies around but:

Sieges aren't going anywhere. I have 3 times the Ashigaru in my besieging force, but it's saying the castle (level 2) can last for years. It has a Martial-14 commander and the commander of my levies is a Martial-5 character.

which leads (even if I'm just being impatient :) ) to:

How do you appoint a leader for a force? My clan leader (Martial-14) is the apparent leader of 3 of the contingents of troops in the siege, but some useless ninny appears to be in charge. If I split the force, some random member of the court or vassal appears to be getting made boss, which would be alright (at Martial-17) but that toad is the current heir, a job I want for my own son when he comes along... so I don't want him leading anything, if possible.

I'm witnessing a similar problem in my current Shoni game. A single province clan I attacked (Tsushima) has a clan leader with the godlike Martial skill of approximately 16. Mine is ~11. I've been stuck at 8% siege progress for over two years now. :O It seems to have stopped moving, but there's no indication of a "stall" on it. I'll save & reload and see if that gets some progress afterward.

I hope that abnormally high Martial skill, in a siege, doesn't give so much bonus that a siege is impossible.

I'm witnessing a similar problem in my current Shoni game. A single province clan I attacked (Tsushima) has a clan leader with the godlike Martial skill of approximately 16. Mine is ~11. I've been stuck at 8% siege progress for over two years now. :O It seems to have stopped moving, but there's no indication of a "stall" on it. I'll save & reload and see if that gets some progress afterward.

I hope that abnormally high Martial skill, in a siege, doesn't give so much bonus that a siege is impossible.
It turns out I was just being impatient with my siege progress. It started moving eventually. Still not sure how to make the best leader in the stack actually be the leader. Or what rules determine who it'll be, so I can manipulate it. However I at least found out how to get my Clan leader out into the field: he goes with his retinue; the faces on the levy armies are the owners.

One more thing. The marriage interface seems to present a different selection of potential wives, dependent on Ifni-knows-what criteria. Very annoying to present a gift, and then go back to ask for marriage, but not be able to find the object of my wooing. What's going on here?