• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

now

Sergeant
62 Badges
Aug 19, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
Scenario-American Revolution grand campaign
Settings-Mostly normal, no bonuses for me or AI. No activation rule because I don't like it.

Mmmkay, so this is my first AGEOD AAR. I own many AGEOD games and I won't spend much time teaching all you newbies how to play.:p The other WIA AAR does a very good job of that and tbh I couldn't be bothered. I will explain several concepts that only exist in the Revolutionary scenarios.[see below] Anyways, I'm playing as the British against Athena.

This is most of the northern theater of the war. As you can see, my main army is trapped in Boston for two months. That's fine because the man commanding them, Thomas Gage, is one of the worst generals in the game. The natives you can see to the west are locked until a certain date or someone unlocks them. To the north is Canada, to the northeast, Halifax, to the west, Detroit, and to the southwest is Pennsylvania.

Canada. The general in the south is okay and will lead any offensive actions. The general in the north has good stats, but a few terrible traits make him good for nothing but defense. As you can see, I'm pooling transports at Quebec, where many new troops will arrive, so that hey can be easily moved to Montreal. That white symbol you see on the unit means that they will suck outside their home region, which is Canada.

The West. Not much going on here except locked natives and generals.

The South. Soon this will heat up, but for now, all is quiet.

West Florida. Once France and Spain enter the war this will become more important.

Objectives. I need these to win the game. The ones with red flags are disputed because of Loyalty, which I shall now explain.

Virginia, where the crown still has a foothold. As you can see, Norfolk and Yorktown still are loyal to the crown, hence their red color. The other cities in this area are about half and half. I'll let the manual explain more.

Loyalty is a measure of the civilian population’s support for a player’s side and is independent from the level of
military control. (It is quite possible to have a high degree of military control over a region and yet a very low level
of civilian support.) Winning the ‘hearts and minds’ of civilians in regions you control is a lengthy process.
Important Note: currently, the 'Loyalty property' is only used in the American Revolution scenarios (1776-1783).
16.2.1 Effects of Civilian Loyalty A region is considered Loyal if a player has at least a 51% Loyalty. (Granted, a
Loyalty percentage of only 51% is a slim margin.) A player gains the following benefits from having a loyal region:
garrisons in Objectives are not required in order to earn Victory Points,
an Increased Detection value in the region,
an increased chance of friendly Partisan units appearing if enemy forces take Military Control,
a gradual increase of the Military Control percentage.
16.2.2 Open Revolts If a player exercises Military Control over a region that is less than 11% Loyal and fails to
garrison its cities and towns, an Open Revolt is very likely to occur. If an Open Revolt occurs, enemy partisans units
appear in all un-garrisoned structures.
16.2.3 Influencing Loyalty Loyalty is influenced by capturing Strategic Cities. Each time a player captures an
enemy Strategic City, one (1) Loyalty Check is made in the following locations:
each Strategic City on the map,
each region with a Strategic City in the Area,
each region adjacent to the newly captured Strategic City (This also includes the region with the newly
captured Strategic City.)
These checks are cumulative. For example, a region with a Strategic City that is captured by the enemy would be
checked three (3) times—once for each of the Loyalty Check conditions mentioned above.
16.2.4 Partisans Partisans are civilians who have taken up arms to drive out an enemy’s military control and/or
presence in a region. They appear primarily in areas and regions where they were historically active. Partisans may
appear automatically according to the scenario being played or appear when a region experiences an Open Revolt.
Partisan units are typically used to disrupt supply transport. They are fast and difficult to locate but stand little
chance in combat against organized troops.

Last edited:
Sounds like loyalty will play a crucial role in the game. Are there enough Strategic Cities to substantially alter loyalty (i.e. push a low-loyalty region into solid loyalty)? Apologies if this is self-evident from the 'Objectives' screenshot - it's currently not showing up for me.

I look forward to seeing your progress in restoring the colonies to their rightful place under the Crown. :)

You might want to give the name of the generals, and to each army call it like "LEADERNAME's army", else it is going to be very confusing, very fast. "That average general in the North is move South, to lead my army in the SOuth North".

Sounds like loyalty will play a crucial role in the game. Are there enough Strategic Cities to substantially alter loyalty (i.e. push a low-loyalty region into solid loyalty)? Apologies if this is self-evident from the 'Objectives' screenshot - it's currently not showing up for me.

I look forward to seeing your progress in restoring the colonies to their rightful place under the Crown. :)
Sorry about that, I didn't have time to fix the last two. Should be done right about now.

You might want to give the name of the generals, and to each army call it like "LEADERNAME's army", else it is going to be very confusing, very fast. "That average general in the North is move South, to lead my army in the SOuth North".
I name my armies after the area in which they operate. Army of New England, Army of the South etc.

Plan for 1775: Once Howe arrives I will attempt to take New York, which will force the Americans to withdraw to Albany, allowing me to overrun New England. My troops in Canada will try and grab Ticonderoga after it is taken by the Americans. I'll send Dunmore to Petersburg and hold there. Troops in the west will activate natives. In the south I willl merely try to hold my position.

Last edited:

A new set of objectives to worry about.

The big news. Tories also garrison Augusta and natives in Canada join the fight.

Howe's army in all her glory. Clinton will remain in New England while the rest hops back on the fleet and sails to New York. I have chosen New York for several reasons.
1. It is a strategic city that I need to win.
2. It is a port that brings me more EP
and 3. Most of the populace is loyal to the crown.

In June Dunmore flees Williamsburg. His troops will board ships and try to grab Petersburg before the rebels can garrison it.

Howe lands near New York and will attack it this month. A large rebel force was seen moving north of Boston, most likely going to Salem or Portsmouth. In the west, various Iroquois tribes are convinced to support the British by James Hamilton.

Victory!

A treacherous youth is hanged. His death merely galvanizes the rebels, except in New York, where support for the King rises. Robert Land is sent to spy on Philadelphia.

Meanwhile, rebels seize Savannah. In Virginia Dunmore takes Portsmouth and entrenches at Petersburg.

Rebels attack Tories in the south. Augusta garrison flees to 96 and joins up with more Loyalist militias. They prepare to attack the besieging rebels.

In Canada, Richard Prescott clashes with rebels north of Ticonderoga. He is victorious and will regain cohesion before attacking. The troops in Boston are slowly running out of supply. They will attack Dorcester, which is both a fort and a depot.

Current armies:
Army of New England
Led by CnC Sir Thomas Gage
Attempting to seize Dorcester

Army of New York
Led by Lieutenant General Sir William Howe
Resting in New York

Army of the Mohawk
Led by Colonel James Hamilton
Gathering native support

Army of Canada
Led by Colonel Richard Prescott
Resting before moving on Ticonderoga

Army of Virginia
Led by Major General John Murray, Lord Dunmore
Holding in Petersburg

I don't know how this compares to Real Life history, but it seems you're off to a decent start, a few successes here, some setbacks elsewhere... Is this good enough to win in the long run, or do you really have to crush the rebellion in its infancy to stand a chance?

The only city I need to garrison right now is Boston. I prefer an aggressive strategy focused on taking SCs and getting loyalty. If all goes well I won't need very many garrisons.

Trying to keep boston and attacking NY is IMHO a poor idea (at least against a human player). With your initial army split (and it's not that big) it should be possible for the USA to destroy both of them with the continental army once Washington arrives (and that guy can move FAST).

If Washington goes to attack New York, you can grab most of New England. If he goes to Boston, you march on Albany or Philadelphia. To prevent either of these, he is forced to split his army, enabling you to defeat the smaller part. Once this is done, he retreats to a well supplied city and awaits reinforcements. Of course, this is just my experience. It would really depend on the player.

If Washington goes to attack New York, you can grab most of New England. If he goes to Boston, you march on Albany or Philadelphia. To prevent either of these, he is forced to split his army, enabling you to defeat the smaller part. Once this is done, he retreats to a well supplied city and awaits reinforcements. Of course, this is just my experience. It would really depend on the player.

He is at boston. If you split your forces and send only part of them to NY then USA player can assault boston in one turn (and destroy your forces there) and move towards NY in the next (because washington moves that fast - 6 mobility and fast mover) blocking any offensive moves towards NE for the year. Also thanks to loyalty in NE USA has much better supplies - english rly need new york or philly to be able to stay for the winter (or build depots).

It covers 1812 as well, and it is IMO one of the most interesting scenarios.

Subscribified...

Does this game cover the war of 1812 as well, or just the pre-revolution and revolution?

It covers 1812 as well, and it is IMO one of the most interesting scenarios.
It also has the Pequot War, Lord Dunmore's war, the Northwest Indian war, and there is a mod with Pontiac's war. Another mod is being worked on for King William's War.

Tories drive off the rebels at 96.

Meanwhile, Gage is able to take Dorcester and the depot there. Sadly, the insolent knaves were able to burn down the fort before my troops arrived.

The main army is spotted just north of New York. I put my men into Hold at All Cost posture.

Loyalists rise all over the south. Many daring moves are planned.

The big news this turn. Howe becomes a 3-star general and takes command of the Army of New England.

As you can see, I took Camden, Charlotte, and Augusta. In response to this, a crapload of rebels pop up and they now outnumber me. On the brighter side, loyalty shifts after taking so many important cities.

The result of the loyalty shift. I can see much more. Before, pretty much everything north of Petersburg was blacked out. I was going to take Richmond, but I, um, forgot.

My first major loss. Prescott is killed and the Army of Canada is stranded in the snow. I do not thnk many will make it back to Montreal.

It says stalemate. but in effect I keep Augusta, while they retreat to 96, which they captured somehow.

Loyalists repulse two attacks on Camden with few losses. Rebel militia that flee to the north defeat my reinforcements coming from Charlotte.

That's it for now[see what I did there?:D]