• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Captain Gars

Lead AI Programmer
4 Badges
Oct 4, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
Welcome to another developer diary for Sengoku. Todays subject will be rebels. And not just any rebels but...

Ikko-ikki

"Ikko-ikki were mobs of peasant farmers, Buddhist monks, Shinto priests and local nobles, who rose up against samurai rule in 15th to 16th century Japan. 1488 brought the first major organized uprising, when they overthrew the samurai rulers of Kaga Province, and took control of it for themselves. This represented the first time in Japanese history that a group of commoners ruled a province.

Towards the end of the 16th century, however, their growing numbers and strength caught the attention and concern of the great samurai leaders of the time. Tokugawa Ieyasu defeated the Ikko-ikki of Mikawa in the Battle of Azukizaka in 1564...

battle_of_azukizaka.JPG

...and the stronghold Hongan-ji came under siege from the forces of Oda Nobunaga in 1576, but managed to hold out for eleven years, making this the longest siege in Japanese history. At the time of the surrender, the entire temple complex was set aflame. According to some sources, this was done from within, to deny Nobunaga any true material gains from having defeated the Ikko-ikki."

From the Wikipedia article on Ikko-ikki.

So how then is all of this represented within the game Sengoku? After 1480 Ikko-ikki revolts may happen in in provinces with high revolt risk or that belongs to rulers who are at war or have very low honor. Unlike normal rebels the Ikko-ikki will spawn in much greater number and be a bit harder to beat in battle. But what really sets them apart is what happens if they manage to siege down and take control over a kori (province). The Ikko-ikki might decide to make the kori a stronghold, which means that they will build up the infrastructure, especially the castle, making it much harder to recapture from them. And if you think that this will be a handy way to improve one of your koris before taking it back, forget it. Because just like Nobunaga, you will see all their improvements go up in flames when you defeat them...

sengoku_ikko_ikki.jpg

A stronghold will also start to add more troops over time, which means the longer you wait to deal with them, the stronger they will get. The Ikko-ikkis establishing a stronghold also means trouble for neighboring koris, as the Stronghold will try to spread its influence and take political control over the whole kuni (a number of provinces under a daimyo title) by spawning new rebellions around them. So before you laugh too hard about your annoying neighbor getting a visit from 15,000 angry Ikko-ikki rebels, make sure you don't owe any kori in the same kuni... And to make things worse, once western influence has spread to a kori controlled by the Ikko-ikki they will build gun manufactories and start to arm themselves with arquebuses...

There is no formal requirement to beat down these Ikko-ikki risings to be able to claim the Shogun title, but personally I wouldn't be able to call myself Shogun with pride unless this rebel scum has been dealt with!

This is the last developer diary for Sengoku as the game is released now on Tuesday the 13th. I hope you have enjoyed reading them as much as we have enjoyed writing them. Stay tuned though as we might do some shorter feature-of-the-day posts in the coming days.

Sounds great. So do these rebels that take a kori work like a new country thats just at war with everyone? And will the rebels that spawn be able to move between kuni's or do they stick to the one they rebelled in?

Good question. While local Ikko-Ikki rabble were indeed a pain in the butt to all non-Buddhist daimyos, the more organized portions of the sect (like those who had overtaken Kaga) conducted diplomacy and alliances like anyone else, just with a different system of collective organization at the top.

Sounds great. So do these rebels that take a kori work like a new country thats just at war with everyone? And will the rebels that spawn be able to move between kuni's or do they stick to the one they rebelled in?

Rebels never move in Sengoku. Instead normal rebels (Shinto, Buddhist, Christian) increase the revolt risk, and thereby the chance of rebellion, in neighboring provinces. Ikko-ikkis are handled entirerly by event and work a little bit different. Rebels are always considered being hostile so anyone can defeat them and conquer their provinces.

So once a province rebels they just sit behind their castles doing nothing but trying to incite other provinces in their kuni? Whats the point of them then other than to just torch everything in a kori when you try and retake it?

So once a province rebels they just sit behind their castles doing nothing but trying to incite other provinces in their kuni? Whats the point of them then other than to just torch everything in a kori when you try and retake it?

A province is obvously much harder to retake when the rebels keep an army around and unlike in some of our other games you don't have to chase rebels across the map. And normal rebels don't build nor torch anything. It's just Ikko-ikkis and only in a stronghold. They also just burn whatever they have built, not your previous constructions so you don't have to wory about starting from scratch again every time a revolt breaks out.

Rebels are always considered being hostile so anyone can defeat them and conquer their provinces.
If I (let's say as a clan leader) beat Ikko-ikkis in a province from an other clan will this province then be mine? Or will it be like in Eu3/V2 and the original owner just regain control?

If I (let's say as a clan leader) beat Ikko-ikkis in a province from an other clan will this province then be mine? Or will it be like in Eu3/V2 and the original owner just regain control?

If the Ikko-ikki have won the siege and taken control of the province, they own the province (just like how you conquer provinces from other clans). So if you then siege it from them it will become yours.

Looks pretty sweet - from what I've seen you guys have included everything in here I can think of. I can't wait for my new computer to arrive next week so I can get some Sengoku in my life.

If the Ikko-ikki have won the siege and taken control of the province, they own the province (just like how you conquer provinces from other clans). So if you then siege it from them it will become yours.

I like that, you want to take out Ikko-ikkis as fast as possible so you don't lose a province.
Do you have any tools to incite revolts in provinces? Maybe even in provinces from your clan (but owned by a unloyal vassal)?

Very cool feature, and one I'm glad that found its way into the game-particularly making them bigger pains than the average rebel.

But man, that Wikipedia article is brutal (but English language Wikipedia tends to be brutal when dealing with Japanese history, as opposed to J-Wiki which is pretty dependable). Work done by Carol Richmond Tsang (using original Ikko charters and rosters) along with several Japanese scholars has shown that the Ikko-shu had very few peasant farmers, but was mainly made up of townspeople and merchants (all of which were considered peasants by samurai).

I never post, but I just have to now... I'm really excited. Paradox has become the only developer where I look forward to their releases. And this looks great, can't wait to take a bite out of the demo.

But man, that Wikipedia article is brutal

Wikipedia tend to be that, even when dealing with topics of fairly well-documented European history. That's why I usually only use it as an overview and then look up primary sources. But with this game much of the challenge has been to get my hands on good primary sources in english. But for what is shown of the Ikko-ikki in the game I think we did an ok job. Glad you like the feature :)

I take it Ikko-ikki aren't playable, but I might as well ask anyway. And will they appear on the map from certain start dates, or just in-game as rebels?

No they're not playable. And we only have one start date - 1467 - and they're not present there. They can start to appear through events any time after 1480.