• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(332190)

Second Lieutenant
5 Badges
Jun 19, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Nationalist Spain AAR​
220px-Flag_of_Spain_under_Franco_1938_1945.svg.png

Well, this is my first AAR and I wanted to change the history from a near point of view, the one that says that second world war could have changed dramatically if Nationalist Spain had joined the axis. We don’t have to discuss about what would have happened if it did, although we could share some opinions and talk about it together with the AAR. Many people enjoy asking themselves about "what if", I am one of them and as I like history madly I want to explore the possibilites of one of those questions, despite this is only a game, but that's why we are here, to have fun and I hope you enjoy reading this AAR as much as I do creating it.

This is not a politics thread, but I will tell you that this is far from being a thread supporting Nationalist Spain. I have relatives who died fighting for freedom, so you can imagine that I am also absolutely against any sign of francoism support. I just write this because I want to, I consider this may be interesting from a historical point of view, very related to the game, of course.

By the way, I might make some mistakes, so feel free to check them and tell me, it would help me improving my English which is always necessary.

Let’s stop chatting, here is the Nationalist Spain AAR.

Features of the game
-Difficulty: Easy
-Game mode: Normal
-Human player controls absolutely everything.
-Beginning date: 04:00 28th April 1936
-Faction: Axis
-Targets: Portugal, West-Northern and West Africa, South America, Mexico and the Caribbean. Creating a Blue Division, or more, to help the Axis defeating the Allies or the Comintern in their own territory.

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_Spain_under_Franco.svg.png
One great and free​

INDEX

1.-The uprising against the reds
1.1.-The first offensive: Asturias and Bilbao.
1.2.-The battle for Barcelona and Madrid

Notes:

-It's the first time I write an AAR and I am not a very experienced player of HoI3. It is not sure that I will win the war, not even the spanish civil war.

-Feel free to check any ortographical or gramatical mistakes you find, I will thank you for that, as improving my English is one of the targets of this AAR.

-If you have any suggestion about the AAR or even the game, feel free to make them. I will consider them and tell you if I add them or not.

-This AAR will be in first-person, so expect something like a novel, but shorter.

-Finally, thank you very much for reading it and I will be glad if you posted your opinion.
[IN PROCESS]

Last edited:
The uprising against the reds​

At 04:00 of the 28th of April of 1936 the commanders of the garrisons in most Spain rised against the Second Republic in order to achieve a better nation clearly deserved and wanted by the good spanish. I am the leader of this uprising against the reds trying to bring communism into our precious country. But we must not tolerate this insult against Spain, we must defeat the republicans and eliminate any sign of communism in our great country. THIS will be done for the good of all of us. We must defend Spain!

12 hours later, it was clear that there would be WAR.

images

Franco had already talked to the nationalist forces in Burgos fighting the enemy and winning clearly the battle.

-Sir! Your commanders have followed your orders in almost every part of the nation.
-Well done. I guess they have succeeded.- Said Franco innocently.
-Ehem, no, sir! The enemy has hold the cities of Barcelona, Madrid and Seville and our main garrisons there have failed defeating the army. The republican army was being helped by red militia supplied by the republican government.-I was a bit frightened, it was my first mission as a second in command of the Generalísimo. I admired him as much as I feared him.
-For God’s sake!- Franco was very angry, his plans had been very detailed and explained to the commanders. But that fierce resistance of the militia was not expected.- Which cities have we in control?-
-We have fully control of Burgos, Galicia, Castille, Cordoba, Cadiz, the balearic islands and the eastern Canarias. We are also making advance towards Valencia, La Coruña, Bilbao, San Sebastian and Malaga with almost no opposition, sir!-
-Very well. What about the navy and the air force?- Asked Franco.

I was really afraid of telling him the truth, but lying him would be worse than doing it. So I breathed deeply and said:
-Sir, the enemy has full control of the navy and the air force, we have no air support, at all.
-Any other news?- Said Franco cold-hearted.
-Yes, sir. Our colonies are lost, we have been defeated in North Africa and in Bata. But there are good news from Germany, sir.- I said very happy.- They have supported us with some german divisions already placed in Burgos.
-Great! I know I could trust Hitler and I’m sure that Mussolini will also send help soon. It’s a pitty that they don’t want to get involved too much.- Said Franco enthusiastically.- Tell the men we will free Spain from communism or we will die trying. This war won’t last much, I’ve got plans after the republicans fall.

The General was very optimistic about this war we had just begun. I don’t think it’s going to be that easy, but I have faith in my comrades and I know they will fight for this country to free it from the Comintern threat. Unfortunately, the battles of Madrid and Barcelona were being lost and with them all hope of a quick end to the war disappeared. My opinion was that the end was far to end and that we would have to defeat the reds in Asturias and in the Basqueland to focus on Madrid an Aragon. Then, with the forces in Andalusia and Valencia we shall encircle Madrid and take it from them, after that I guess they will surrender, if it’s not the case we would have to defeat any remains of their army.

It was going to be a tough war, none of us were totally sure about our victory. If we had had the air force with us it could have been much easier...Damn!

Last edited:
The first offensive: Asturias anb Bilbao

The first acts had already been enacted. With these the future Spain will be safe from the threat of the reds. We have also changed some ministiers so that we are as efficient as possible. Franco had already decided that Spain would never have a democracy again, as that system is not efficient enough for the defense of Spain. Our great leader was right to fear months ago the unstoppable Frente Popular victory in the elections, so he, with our smart comrades, planned this uprsing to restablish order and peace in our country. Sadly, we will have to make them pay with blood for what they have done.

We will make Spain greater than ever. We will stop the communist threat in Spain. We will make one single nation united under the law of God and the old traditions.

17547502.jpg

(Our propagand system is totally operative)​

The 28th of april the “Justicia” offensive begins, the armies attack Asturias and Bilbao from east, south and west. The remainings of the republican North Army are reatreating to more defensive positions. In La Coruña, Valencia and Malaga there is no opposition and our commanders have a free way to retake them from the reds.

condoresp.jpg

(Our few tanks, brought by our german comrades, are supporting the battle in Asturias and Bilbao, with their help there is no doubt we will win the offensive)

Unfortunately, in Barcelona and Madrid the Popular Brigadas are offering fierce resistance. We will not be able to take them until our forces are gathered all together. Damn these reds!

images

(The reds’ propaganda system is also encouraging the communist to face us)

The offensive has begun successfully, our armies in Basqueland and Galicia are defeating the enemy and advancing towards Oviedo. Valencia, Saragoza and Seville have fallen from reds’ hands, as in Burgos, the remains of the army have been imprisoned. We have not won a victory in Madrid, nor in Barcelona, but we will retreat to a safer position so that we can strengthen our forces and encircle Madrid from all directions. Our colonies have finally been lost, the only regiment of Infantry in North Africa is offering resistance, but it’s just a matter of time that the reds destroy our forces in Tangiers and the eastern Canarias.

The republican air forces have given us some troubles, but our land forces are unstoppable, even with aircrafts throwing bombs at us.

TABLADA+1.JPG

The 13th of May the advance has been astonishing, our forces have driven back the reds from Andalusia, which is being cleared of enemy forces, and the battle for Asturias is near the end. Once we have controlled all the north of Spain we will focus on Catalonia and Madrid. With Barcelona and Madrid in our control the republicans will have to ackwnoledge our imminent victory!

The bad news are that our remaining forces in Africa are not able to hold the reds. We are still being bombed from the air with the air force. I wish we had some aircrafts to counterattack them, I could do it myself, but my Hawker Fury was captured by the reds. Anyway, I'm lucky I'm with my General and not in Madrid, we will get our revenge sooner or later.

That afternoon I was talking with Franco who had received a message from Emilio Mola, the general of the Northern Army.
-Well, my boy, I've got news from Asturias. General Mola has already defeated the reds and is heading his army towards Madrid. Our armies in the East have encountered fierce resistance in Catalonia, but we can deal with them later. Our main target now is to free Andalusia and Castilla-la-Mancha from their yoke.
-That is great, my General, we will achieve victory soon!
-Be patient, these reds are more dangerous than they look, they could still cause us problems if we do not protect our supply lines. We must not let them broke our sige when it's ready, or the encirclement will fail. I do not want my men to die unnecessarily, there must be sacrifices, but only the needed to achieve a decent victory.
-Yes, sir. I'm just a bit young and excited about this war.
-Hehe, you'll be a good General one of these days.
-I will try for the good of the fatherland!

Last edited:
Sounds interesting; could you make the pictures a little bigger, though?

The battle for Madrid and Barcelona​

Our victory is assured! The enemy is retreating to Madrid and has begun to collapse. The battle in Barcelona is still balanced, but it’s just a matter of time that our reinforcements arrive and finish the job. This will be a short war, but the ones to come will be tougher than this, but we will be ready to destroy anyone opposing us, just like he have squashed the republicans. The enemy has been totally defeated in Northern Spain, and there are only resistance groups in the Cost of Catalonia and near Cuenca. Personally, I think they will surrender when the battle for Barcelona ends, they wouldn’t have the chance to fight for our colonies with the Peninsula in our control.

Finally, the battle for Madrid ends with a clear victory for our fatherland, we shall not give them any mercy until they surrender unconditonally. The Battle for Barcelona is being fought at this moment and the counter-attacks are giving us some problems, but nothing we can’t handle we the reinforcements arrive to Catalonia.

Our southern forces are pushing backwards the enemy, stretching the circle more and more. Oh my god, this has been a fantastic strategic battle plan, I never thought this war would be so easy to win.

In less than a weak, the battles for Madrid and Barcelona are won and once our troops enter Barcelona the republicans surrender with no conditions. We, of course, annex the rest of the territories oft the Second Republic and prepare ourselves to create our great nation.

Franco has given orders to thank the support given by our fascist comrades in Germany and Italy. We will give them our support when the time comes, until then we will create a new army and a new country for the good of the Fatherland.

Franco, Hitler and Mussolini will meet soon and Franco wants to explain them his plans for Spain the next decade.

WE WILL BE VICTORIOUS!

Last edited:
That was a really fast Spanish Civil War; do you know why you won so quickly?

Thanks for increasing the size of the pictures; much more readable now!

That was a really fast Spanish Civil War; do you know why you won so quickly?

Thanks for increasing the size of the pictures; much more readable now!
I get the feeling that Republican Spain had a very little army only deployed in Barcelona, Canarias, and Madrid.

In fact, I have not had ANY troop support from Germany nor Italy, they did send help, but I guess that there was a bug and I couldn't receive them. Probably the same happened to Republican Spain with SU.

The problem is that there was a fight "Burgos vs Burgos" and "Madrid vs Madrid" which didn't allow the reinforcements to deploy.

But one of the things I really dislike is that the Spanish Civil War is ridiculously represented in HoI3. When in fact was one of the first battles of the IIGM, not officially. The germans tested many weapons there and it looks that the history of this game is not very, well, let's say that it could be really better. I guess there are mods for that.

Anyway, now I've got plans to create a good army, considering my capabilites, and try to increase threat in Portugal and lower my neutrality so I can rule the Peninsula and when the fight begins I'd like to capture Gibraltar.