• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Skovbjerg

First Lieutenant
90 Badges
Aug 26, 2010
  • Sengoku
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
Italy - '43 - Mare Nostrum.. out of reach?...​

Italian involvement in this so called World war.. has now been going on for 3 years.. in these past years the italians are feeling the pressure... same can be said for the germans,..
2011-09-07_00020.jpg

Several Axis pockets on the eastern front.. and Libya has fallen under British control, While Germany still maintain control of Tunis...

The war has been one Disaster after another for the Italians...
race_fratricidio.jpg

The Italians have become the laughing stock of the Axis... Italy must work hard to win this conflict!

The Italian Foreign minister continue to work hard writing letters to Benito Mussolini in hope of him seeing reason and making a seperate peace deal with the Allies.. as to save Italy from an actual invasion...
GaleazzoCiano01.jpg

Gian - The Italian Foreign Minister

However.. other people work hard for the opposite ends..
The Chief of staff wishes to see the war continue.. as he believes.. as do all military generals that he has the strategy to turn the war around! in the Mediterranen atleast..
Ambrosio_Vittorio.jpg

Vittorio Ambrosio

But the most important person of all.. who will decide the fate of Italy... is Herr Sko.... *cough* i of course mean El Duce Benito Mussolini
Benito-Mussolini.jpg

Surely i don't need to inform you who this fellow is

He stands humbled by several defeats at the hands of the allies.. and facing imminent invasion by the allies... Will he listen to Vittori's strategies.. or will he with Gian attempt to abandon the Germans..

------------------------------------
Goals
  1. Reconquer Libya and Sieze Egypt.
  2. Hold the ruskies out of Italian heartland..
  3. win the game?
I will attempt to write this AAR in the form of Corrospondence letters between these political leaders (though forgive me if i fail now and then :p)

Mind you Wikipedia / History book readers i know Vittorio Ambrosio was not very supportive of the idea of staying in the conflict and got relieved of duty in 43 because he wanted a seperate peace with the Allies.

You know, I don't think I've seen anyone do this before. I will like to see how it turns out.

'43 time for Reorganizing..

To Benito Mussolini
My fellow Facist, i write this letter to you in hope that you can be made see reason..
The war against the british is lost, we must try and negotiate peace with the allies before its to late..

though peace with the Russians can't be an option..
Wich is why i would notion to you Duce
that we should prepeare for the Imminent German defeat..

the Germans have done many things in these past years.. but they have gone too far.. they can NOT turn this war around now..

therefore we should build defensive fortifications at the outskirts of Venezia.. you may be confused Duce.. that i would build the defensive lines behind Venezia.. but building a wall around Venezia would cost much more to do.. therefor we must make sacrifises to protect the majority of our population..

And of course as we do this, we should pull all troops back from the Balkans to help fortify the area..

But my Duce i have attached Schematics of where the fortifications would be build..
2011-09-07_00010.jpg

i hope this letter will help you see sense Duce..
From Gian

Gian Was not the only person to sent letters to their Duce

To Duce Benitio Mussolini.

My friend, i as every reasonable person in the Italian Parliament.. am getting worried, of the increased notions to negotiate a Seperate peace with the Allies..

They say this is caused because of our armies failures to defeat the British! i say this is Hogwash!

The british has only won due to Deciet.. giving all military accomplishments for the Axis in North Africa to this so called Desert fox.. or Rommel as the Germans call him.. Our armies are still grand! and if we put our effort into it we will be able to Defeat the Cheeky Brits..

We must as we promised the enemies of our GRAND STATE! that Italy would face all foes with an overwhelming amount of Bayonets!
2011-09-07_00018.jpg

I believe our armed forces and our Airforce if focused enough at one front, would be able to utterly vanquish the Decietfull British!

2011-09-07_00016.jpg

Army

2011-09-07_00015.jpg

Airforce

Our navy on the other hand though..
I would never claim to be a Brilliant Naval Strategist.. though with the Airforces help and with abit of luck.. we should be able to secure passage to North Africa..
2011-09-07_00014.jpg

As you know my Friend from earlier letters i've been working on strategies in how to Reconquer Libya and push the British out of the Med. The strategy however.. as is all strategies is VERY risky... and if we fail.. god save our country for then we will surely have lost all hope..

The Plan is basic.. As Britain is now Pushing up in German controlled Tunis, Italian troops will land behind them.. around Tripoli and Cut of British troops before they secure a harbour in Tunis, Effectively Allowing us to Destroy the British forces!
2011-09-07_00019.jpg

After such a victory it would take a good time before Britain would be able to suffeciently reinforce the Med. with troops to stop the Italian advance towards the Middle-East..

But the fact that the british CAN send Reinforcements... is a thing we need to work at.. Therefore i would suggest to you Duce, that we begin training troops in the coming years, Equipped with suffecient amount of Artillery... But we will also need Convoys.. plenty of convoys... unless we want our troops in North africa to starve.. But in the plan for Gibraltar.. the Key position for British dominance in the Med.. we must train Special forces to be Air lifted into Gibraltar and attempt to sieze it... again a gamble.. but we have little choise left..

From your friend, Vittorio Ambrosio

After reading the two letters Benito Mussolini decided to work abit in both directions..
He ordered the Construction of Fortifications in the regions according to mister Gian's plan.. However.. Mussolini was still firmly on the side of Vittorio.. Britain needed to be dealt with.
therefore his notions was the ones followed the most.
Though the VAST majority of troops in the Balkans was ordered back to Italy..
2011-09-07_00021.jpg

Italian Recruits begun Bayonet training from Day one at bootcamp
Bayonet.jpg

I think it'll be extremely hard if you don't hit Turkey to extend Soviet line there and help Germans at least a bit. But we'll see. :)

'43 Febuary - Time for a Counter-Attack!

Mister Mussolini was on a trip with some of the most Senior staff in Sicily, as they inspected the situation from the coast line..
uewb_07_img0513.jpg

Mussolini was growing ever worn out, with loosing men on the German offensive on the east.. and even lost the Libyan and Somalian colonies..

Mussolini thought to him self as they watched from the coast of sicily seeing British ships sailing unhindered.. "Maybe this has all been a terrible mistake.." his thought was cut off though, as his senior staff asked him of his thoughts... to this Mussolini only replied... "We must put everything into Saving our honour by defeating the British!" the Senior staff was split in the reaction.. some applauded the notion.. otheres where not so delighted..

However as Mussolini talked with his senior staff and now and then stared out over the sea.. a messenger arrived from Rome.. he carried important letters from High standing Goverment officials..

One from Gian.. and one from Vittorio...

To Benito Mussolini

I would have wanted to inform you of this in person... but circumstance demands my presence in Rome, but my ministry have recived words that our last territory in Libya has been siezed by the British.. i dare say this is but a proof that we must abandon our war against britain, and seek seperate peace so that we can focus our strenght on stopping the Bolsheviks from overrunning the european continent!

The evil Stalin will without a doubt enslave all of europe given the chance!
2WWdalidier2-1.jpg

but there are more than military reasons to stop our conflict against Britain..
due to our conflict with basicly all of the world.. no one seems to be willing to trade with us.. or if they are willing.. our convoys are sunk before they reach harbour..
2011-09-08_00005.jpg

from your Loyal Foreign minister
Gian.

But the ever more Populistic Chief of staff of course also sent a letter..

To Duce Benito Mussolini

My friend, i've sent this message with a great rush, i have finally finished planning the entire! counter attack plan on Britain...
While our Ressource may be running abit short as of late.. Our peoples UNITY! is above all others!
2011-09-08_00001.jpg

But to the matters at hand.. We've stationed two seperate Transport fleets in two Harbours on Sicily, both manned with about 36.000 Italian soldiers! all ready to fight for our Victory against the British! But this is of course not the only part of my Genius plan..
Our naval forces has been mobilised.. or atleast our only really operational fleets..
2011-09-07_00025.jpg

i've together with our Chief of Navy, organized 3 Battleship fleets, wich should buy our transports enough time to cross the Sea and land around Tripoli as i explained in my last letter to you..
At the same time.. both i and my Chief of Navy agreed that the Italian Submarines needed to get to work aswell..
2011-09-07_00038.jpg

Therefore a massive Redzone was planned almost from the Gibraltar to Malta, in an attempt to Create a dead zone for all British convoys...
at the same time the 3 Battleship fleets would be focused Around Malta and Tunis.. as this is the sealanes the Transport fleets will travel on..
Barba.jpg

as to help matters, we included our Chief of airforce in the planning aswell.. Rapidly scrambling 5 Nav's and 4 Multi's to help the invasion.., the 5 Navs would start Naval bombing around Malta, as to if need be assist Italian ships in combat.

The Multi's would also be ready to intercept any Enemy Cag's in the region..

We estimate that the first Naval engagement will occour almost as the operation begins to move into its starting phases..
litvit.jpg

The operation it self will begin on the 15h of Febuary.. our Naval officers expect losses.. but i'm sure our sailors will prove more of a much for the British than any others!

We also Suspect that a naval Victory south of Italy would benefit our Propaganda Efforts back home..
2011-09-07_00033.jpg

And in such effect increase the peoples unity in this war!

BritishcommandosscrambleashorefromtheirlandingcraftonJunoBeachonD-Day.jpg

The first troops are suspected to be landed in Libya late on the 16th Febuary
2011-09-07_00035.jpg

Shortly after wich they would obviously spread out and Secure Tripoli it self.. if everything of course goes as planned.. but things never do, do they?

I dare say that Tripoli will be a peace of cake to Sieze for Italy.. certainly the British are not bright enough to leave a strong garrison in Tripoli
2011-09-07_00037.jpg

So i estimate that a battle in tripoli will surely not last long..

But with these plans i also bear the unfortunate fate as to deliver bad news to you my duce.. The German cowards.. have abandoned several Divisions of Italian soldiers to the Bolsheviks! and the Germans are even retreating!
2011-09-07_00027.jpg

Traitors the lot of them... but for now let us hope they can hold back the Bolshevik monster that THEY unleashed on upon us all..
I have sent orders down the Ranks to inform the Fallens families.. that they will properly not see their sons anymore..

But with this i will add that i hope you'r having an empowering trip to Sicily.. Be carefull who you trust my friend, many people would see you dead in an attempt to get out of this war..

From You friend Vittorio Ambrosio

As Mussolini finished reading the two letters.. he announced to his Senior staff that he would retire for the day, and he'd travel back to Rome in the morning.
Thinking to him self..
"Vittorio's plan must begin immidiately... 'tis our only hope.. surely?"

Last edited:
'43 Febuary-March - Horse power all the way!

Mussolini hd now been in Rome for a few weeks, and the "Operazion No Gracia" had been underway from mid Febuary, Gian had been busy in Berlin trying to ensure herr Hitler that Italy was still a sturdy ally against the international Bolshevism..

and obviously Vittorio Ambrosia was in Sicily ensuring the Operazion was going as planned...

At the same time Mussolini in Rome had decided to write both of his allies a letter, to inform them of his thoughts towards their progress...

To My Foreign minister Gian

i understand you have been somewhat succesfull in Berlin..

I am glad to hear this, while i have as of late focused Italy's Ressources towards defeating the allies.. i do not fancy the thought of the bolsheviks enclosing on our borders.. though currently that may yet be our fate..

I even understand you've managed to open more trade between Italy and the German Reich.. this will surely help our efforts against the British...

i know you do not agree with the Focus against britain.. or the war with britain in generel.. but i find that this is a necessity for Italy...

But alas, i am glad your more or less succesfull in Berlin.

From
Your Duce
Benito Mussolini

But Mussolini's channels informed him of the progress in Libya against the British.. so much that he figured he had to write a letter to mister Vittorio..

To Vittorio Ambrosia

My Friend, i write this letter both to Congratulate and to ask questions to the developments in Libya..

It is to my understanding that Both Tripoli and Misurata got liberated around the 20th February, Wich of course is great news for Italy and as everything should be, bad news for our British enemies..
2011-09-11_00005.jpg

But as far as my channels inform me the British is comprimising our situation Not far from Tripoli..

Our naval efforts are also quite succesfull, On the 22nd February, i hear news that Vittorio Veneto Engaged a British fleet, sinking several Transport ships.
2011-09-11_00006.jpg

and with our current naval Supremacy our forces in Libya is easily reinforced with more troops.

my channels seems awfully one sided though, so i would like you to confirm these incidents on the battlefields...
2011-09-11_00009.jpg

Though its the results thats the most one sided.. clearly this is unlikely to be truthfull? considdering our combat results in Libya earlier in the war....
2011-09-11_00008.jpg

but my friend, if you say this is the truth then i will take your word on it..

But while our commen friend Gian is working on Relations with berlin, we must face the fact that the Germans cannot! defeat the allies in North Africa

While allied troops threaten to push further North into Tunisia, it is to my understanding you decided to send loads of reinforcements to the Harbours in Southern Tunisia,
2011-09-11_00011.jpg

Though even if they succeded your supiriour naval planning would cut all attempts to supply Allied troops in Southern tunisia..
2011-09-11_00026.jpg

Earlier in the month it seems the Royal Italian Hussars arrived in Misurata
GoumiermotantenligneenItalie.jpg

As far as my channels inform they have been VERY succesfull in North Africa.. despite facing foes depended on Fuel rather than horse power

on the 7th of March the Hussars was even Moving towards a combined attack against allied forces
2011-09-11_00030.jpg

While the Italian cavalry was pushing Eastwards.. the Allied forces was getting pushed farther and farther back..
Crusadertankandgermantank.jpg

But i have recieved bad news...
Apparently Allied forces landed in Tripoli it self..
2011-09-11_00036.jpg

but atleast you are working towards securing the back lands of Libya..
2011-09-11_00040.jpg

I am sure my friend that you heard reports about the naval engagement outside Malta..
2011-09-11_00041.jpg

British carriers once again proove fatal for our fleets..

Apparently the british naval forces had arrived to the Mediterranian to threaten the supply lines from Italy to Libya..
wich brings into thought the not so succesfull invasion of Libyan coast lines..
2011-09-11_00044.jpg

this had been a very unprepeared offensive as far as i am informed.. no naval forces was even prepeared to move in to assist the Transport fleet incase of interception..
2011-09-11_00048.jpg

only 2 of the 6 Divisions actually made it ashore in
Though this was enough to block in the British motorised divisions..
at the cost of one of our transport ships..

But with this.. i finish my letter, and congratulate you with the progress.. even though victory is yet to be set in stone.

From Your Duce
Benito Mussolini

As Mussolini finished writting this letter, he couldent help but think...
<oh my.. this letter could be done much better.. but if he cant understand it.. thats to bad i am the duce after all it comes with priviliges..>
after finishing that thought he called in a messenger to send the letter to both Gian and Vittorio...

Hmm your navy is going to need an overhaul if all your battles are like that.

They will indeed, though this is the first naval battle against a decent british navy.. if it continues to be such fierce resistance i might face a "Deja vú" in Libya XD

Why did you land your forces in the desert, away from any port? Wouldn't it be better to have used the corps strong force to take Benghazi and expand from there? The Allied supplies would have had to run through very low infrastructure provinces, which should have ensured that you could crush the British forces between Benghazi and Tripolis with the forces at hand while continuing your advance towards Tobruk at the same time.

However, all will be for naught if you don't achieve your goal in time, because the Russians are coming and you'll need to fight them as well. Just make sure you don't leave your ports unprotected.

Why did you land your forces in the desert, away from any port? Wouldn't it be better to have used the corps strong force to take Benghazi and expand from there? The Allied supplies would have had to run through very low infrastructure provinces, which should have ensured that you could crush the British forces between Benghazi and Tripolis with the forces at hand while continuing your advance towards Tobruk at the same time.

However, all will be for naught if you don't achieve your goal in time, because the Russians are coming and you'll need to fight them as well. Just make sure you don't leave your ports unprotected.

Well i agree i properly should've taken the port, though i figured (at the time) that i would be able to sieze the deserts down there before a british navy could intercept.. wich clearly failed:p but atleast 2 Motorised divisions are encircled..

And regarding ports:p i know but vittorio was so impatient about defeating the Allied forces between tripoli and Tunisia, so that he forgot to leave garrison in the ports^^

and regarding russia, they wouldent stand a chance against the Italian Soldiers! just ask Vittorio and Gian they both agree on this :p

Very interesting AAR.

I hope you have enough transports left to keep shifting your troops around after the British surrender in ASI.
Thank you, and i hope so too :p

Interesting AAR! Subscribed.

Welcome Aboard

I like it -- desperate times mean desperate measures, lest Italy fall to Stalin's hordes!

Surely the Italian hordes are bigger than that of some so called Stalin? =o

-Update following shortly

March-June - Italian future..

It was a quite evening in Rome on the 15th of June, as Mussolini was sitting in his home office.. looking over several reports of recent events.. he could hear his wife Rachele in the other room, listening to italian music... he thought to him self <if we can't turn this war around.. what will happen to her?..> his thoughts was interrupted in an instant as Rachel went to answer the door..
The butler had a day off, to mourn the loss of his son in Libya
Benito wonderd who it was, but didnt rise up and follow Rachel..
Five minutes later the door was shut, and rachel came into Benito's office
"Here you go, the Messenger said it was important that you recieved this letter right away"
Benito looked up at his wife and took the letters mumbling a little thanks in return, Rachel then returned to her quiet music listening.

To My Friend Ducé Benito Mussolini

My friend, i dispatch this messenger in great haste, i've got both news, and a warning to you..

in the first part of this letter i will give you a full report of events in libya.

I understood in your last letter, that you were concerned about Allied reconquest of Tripoli but i am glad to inform you that by the 21st March Triploi was back in Italian hands!

And as such, i have orderd my generals to begin moving Eastwards, in hope of liberating all of Libya and to finaly Conquer the Suez canal.
2011-09-21_00002.jpg

our soldiers begun Rapid redeploying at the Eastern border.

but as Italian soldiers where marching towards Eastern Libya, I begun planning together with the Chief of the navy, an operation to effectively secure italian supremacy in the Medditerranian..

This Operation would be named, Operazion Legen - wait for it - dary!However.. this operation is planned in advance of even being able to mount such an invasion, and by then the British might even have caught on to our plans..

The operazion will earliest begin in September..
2011-09-21_00003.jpg

Now let me explain the map..
The yellow marks are locations for the Regia Marina, 66% of our surface fleet vessels will participate in this plan, as they will secure the passage of our transport fleets to invade Oman wich is marked with Black..
Shortly after such an invasion Italian Paratroopers would fly to Oman airport, and prepeare to fly to the Gibraltar and Sieze it, effectively cutting off the British from their most immidieate entrance to our seas..
But the Paratroopers would not finish training until August..
herring.jpg

But back on the East front, we had already planned the liberation of Libya
2011-09-21_00008.jpg

The plan was simpl, Surround Tobruk and secure all of Libya before attacking British Egypt..

But the British have quite the adavantage on us.. Armour, but British commanders are incompotent..
2011-09-21_00012.jpg

So the lone Armour division would be encirled by the Mighty italian forces..

On the 11th of May the Encirclement was complete and our forces advanced upon the British armour who surrenderd the day after..
2011-09-21_00016.jpg

Allied resistance seemed more and more.. lacking
2011-09-21_00018.jpg

Not that would complain, though i do worry what they're planning..
2011-09-21_00019.jpg

But the reconquest of Libya was at hand, whatever the british was planning, they would soon face the italian hordes marching through their lands..

2011-09-21_00022.jpg

By late may, our forces was closing in on Tobruk (Tobruch)

just 11 days ago our forces was almost in the neighbouring regions.. ready to launch the first attacks on Tobruk..
2011-09-21_00024.jpg

Raw recruits have finished training aswell, and has been deployed in Northern Italy..
2011-09-21_00025.jpg

Wich concludes my report.. i want to warn you aswell my friend, i have heard word in the Parliament that you plan to hold a public speech in Rome
Benito_Mussolini_Roman_Salute.jpg

i must advice you not to hold this speech my friend, our party doesnt have the full support of the people anymore.. wich is why i fear some Agents of foreign powers might make an attempt on your life.. my channels say that my fears are well grounded..

But i have a suggestion aswell, Maybe have the state press print a few editions telling the public about how well the italian trains run.. this might increase our party popularity..
trenocatturato.jpg

but 'tis a long shot..

Regardless of this my friend, i would like to ask if we could have a meeting and discuss plans for the future..

Best Regards your loyal Friend Vittorio Ambrosio...

As Bentio finished reading the letter he looked around on his desk, looking at maps send to him by Gian earlier on the day..

On how the Japanese was under great pressure on all over the place..
2011-09-21_00020.jpg

And how the Germans were in ever greater problems on the eastern front..
2011-09-21_00015.jpg

muttering to him self.. "what does our victories in libya matter if the russians are coming from our northern border?"
He then decided he would join his wife and relax, if only for the evening..
then he would return to work in the morning and write a letter informing Vittorio of a day that they could meet and discuss these things..

But Mussolini coulden't help but have a little smile on his lips as he walked out of his office to join his wife..
He keept thinking that he'd love to see the face of montgomery as the Italian troops was marching across Libya now bordering Egypt..
220px-Montgomery_watches_his_tanks_move_up.jpg

Guess he didnt see that coming in his binoculares.

Last edited: