• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Titan said:
But the ills and icons point still stands
well but ills and icons are never really a problem, unless the thing never really existed or only as prototype. the persons are the only limit for the game.

Fernando Torres said:
I would love to be able to use your wonderful work on WW1 in our "WIF-1914" project. I will come back to you when we have an alpha version ready. Thanks again for your dedication. The kind comments written here are well deserved.
yes sure, just take it. the problem with ww1 is only that the images are even harder to find than those for ww2. you picked the right year to find them, though :).

i made a few this evening, note that the interface is a bit squeezed.

CLICK

i made some ills for DH, here are they to test http://www.filefactory.com/file/4g8a68xqiuit/models4.rar
(note they will overwrite and tech images are not numbered correctly, i just collected a bit)

EDIT: now that i see it, the german lancer is a bit very green

sorry that was a misunderstanding: i was talking about the leaders. all ww1 mods i checked (basically variants of one and the same mod) had young Göring etc as air leaders in the 1910s or Tokugawa Yoshitoshi http://generals.dk/general/Tokugawa/Yoshitoshi_Baron/Japan.html.
since there are no german air generals during the whole ww1, and zero generals from 1918-1935, i think that this is a pointless thing to do.

I'm not sure that the situation is quite as intractable as it might appear - but it would require the regular application of the 'Fuchida principle' and a reconceptualisation of the tech tree for the period to get past the problems you've noted major.

If we take Germany as an example, the kernel of an air force might be considered to have been created as early as 1884 with the Prussian Army's Luftschiffer Detachement, and was more or less well formed when the General Staff produced its plan to have 15 airships in service by 1910. These were, of course, to be lighter-than-air craft so the tech tree would have to be adjusted to accommodate that. But even on the heavier-than-air front, things were definitely moving by 1910. By that time, for instance, the War Ministry had already funded Hermann Dorner to develop an aeroplane suitable for military use and grants to other designers were in the pipeline.

On the personnel front, while it's strictly true that there were no German air generals during the whole of the war, that's really because there was no German Air Force for the whole of the war. But air operations under army command were centralised by 1916 under a Kommandierender General der Luftstreitkräfte - and that office was occupied by a Lieutenant General (Ernst von Hoeppner). Granted, it would require application of the Fuchida principle to flesh out an entire air service with its quota of general officers, but the data necessary for that is available and the actual number involved would be quite small for the 1914-18 period and remain so for most of the inter-bellum years.

btw. i just made the german "marines" (Admiral Scheer's combat team) we talked about some months ago.

Very, very nice. Thankyou indeed.

Soon after that same conversation I came across these model images in an old TRP version with which I was fiddling. I was intending to post them then, but forgot all about them until my memory was jogged by a thread on a different board. They look as if they've been taken from pics that I canvassed in our discussion. Seems they got there before me. Nice work don't you think? Unfortunately I don't know whom to credit individually.

GER_MODEL_7_0.bmp
GER_MODEL_7_3.bmp
GER_MODEL_7_1.bmp

as for this air force thing: sorry, there is nobody. the comparison with Fuchida does not match, since Fuchida is an exeption while all those low-rankers in ww1 are the rule and real generals can not be found. if this already applies to a major like germany, where you usually can find a hell of a lot, i can imagine in what kinds of trouble searchers will run when searching for JAP, CHI or other nations.
its also not because GER had no air force. JAP and USA had no air force either during ww2, but still there are generals (even if i only found 4 for 1936, one of them a temporary brigadier, iirc but promoted to permanent rank later) for the various air corpses like the air corps of the army or the air section of the USMC, IJA or IJN. sorry, i played this through a couple of times already. it will not work, definately not. the number of planes were not in divisional size either.

as for the icons, i also had the idea to make some but it would be too much work for me. i made one of the cavalry-helmeted sailors:

in colour pics there is a plane for CHI in the chinese folder and a french aircraft in the IDC folder

Very, very nice. Thankyou indeed.

Soon after that same conversation I came across these model images in an old TRP version with which I was fiddling. I was intending to post them then, but forgot all about them until my memory was jogged by a thread on a different board. They look as if they've been taken from pics that I canvassed in our discussion. Seems they got there before me. Nice work don't you think? Unfortunately I don't know whom to credit individually.

View attachment 113816
View attachment 113818
View attachment 113817

This pics were model kit pics or ww1 art pics. It was difficult to find and for the most part they had a bad quality (thats e.g. a reason why we - TRP - had replaced this icons).
Think there is just a small amount of colourised ww1 pics available at the moment. And i think most of this ww1 colourised pics will be war ships.

Last edited:
Think there is just a small amount of colourised ww1 pics available at the moment. And i think most of this ww1 colourised pics will be war ships.

It would be a challenge for sure, but it could be done step by step.

Step one: Tech tree (usually around 500 images so should be possible)

Step two: Bigger ills in B&W (means that you already have a collection of ill-source-images before you even start to paint in a larger scale). 250 images per nation absolute max. if all is nation specific (so rather less). Images from the Tech tree can be used.

Step three: Do the ills nation by nation in colour if it's expected to be possible

Step four: Tech Team Images in colour nation by nation.

Step five would be leaders and ministers, but i would skip this one.

The good thing is that it would not be done chaotically and if you face serious trouble in step one and two, you complete these and just call it a day and skip the next steps (i.e. keep it in B&W) without a graphical disturbance in the mod since these are different images types. I started using colour with GIP and first always left out the leaders and ministers since i found the mixture disturbing and i couldnt fix it myself. But i was happy with the ills and especially the tech images. the rest of the story is probably known :).

Is not all impossible but depends on manpower and their skills.

A lot of things can be found in videos, btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTwqzaNnr-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nPXwJkFRAU

EDIT:
Quiz round 2:

Last edited:
some images in colour from the first one

can somebody ID the french railway gun, please? (Note last one, french dragoons horse on left seems to be a bit camera-shy?)

can somebody ID the french railway gun, please?

Can't see enough of the carriage to be sure, but from the 3 piece tube and its length cf bore I'd guess at a 40cm howitzer (Materiel de 400 mle 15 ou 16 - apologies for absence of accents).

(Note last one, french dragoons horse on left seems to be a bit camera-shy?)

I'm thinking witness protection program.

Last edited:
here is another preview. mostly KMT/Cliques and Romanians, two Japanese, two Bulgarians, one german/DDR, american, soviet and british

v 42 is out. get it at 1st post this thread.

China and ROM mainly (including a small raid in Wang Jingweis realm).

NOTE:

I removed a lot of HoNs for landlocked nations like LUX or TIB. you will need the image "vacant.bmp" one time in your pic folder. it is green and can be found in
colour_v42/z - AoD/gfx/interface/pics.

this will remove a lot of Heads of navy from the game. it will not effect events.

v43 is out, 1st post this thread

There are a few event images (MOL-RIB, Panay, Death of Lin Sen, IIRC that is it).

Some TTs for South Korea, PHI, ENG, FRA, CHI, LIB, BEL, BOL, TIB, U72 (communist Vietnam), ARG and maybe others i forgot to mention.

Just one ill for CHI, which shows the chinese light cruiser Ping Hai (for the Wang Jingwei regime and the Wang Kemin regime as well).

Otherwise a lot of typos fixed and name corrections, mainly in latin america. Most images go to Asia (China, mostly) once more.

Something which was new for me was the colouring of coloured people (i.e. black people), mainly in Haiti, Liberia and Ethiopia.
I think i can live with the result.

@Hister:
have a look: the guy on the left in this image http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Geleg_Surkhang,_Phuntsog_Rabgye_Ragashar.jpg is a general (both, actually). if the description had said "two tibetan women on the local marcet place" - i would have bought that)

EDIT: just as eye candy / teaser: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=159097&start=315#p1911953

Last edited:
some new things to come:

french sailors, hungarians, italian marines landing on crete, japanese troops and US airborne

v 44 is up. See 1st post this thread.

ills: very few, 1 for FRA and Fin each, some hungarians and JAPs IIRC
TTs: again very few, same countries as above

leaders/ministers:
CHI, FRA, ITA, USA, GER, SOV, ROM, FIN, BUL, VIC, JAP, BEL, MAN, U87

CHI has now its own "leader_bonus.bmp"

Vichy event updated (can be found in the FRA-folder)

EDIT: Ills: I probably forgot a few. At least all CW-countries should have an AT Brigade in colour. Since these brigade images are very small, here is the original image.

Last edited: