+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The 2nd Komnenian Restoration - a video AAR of Greece's rise to power

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

The 2nd Komnenian Restoration - a video AAR of Greece's rise to power

I have recently finished the best and most interesting game playing as Greece. Wanting afterwards to create an AAR, but without actual screenshots, I decided to try to make a video-slideshow story-telling hybrid. I hope it make sense and you find it as entertaining to watch as it actually was to make.

Click on the image below and you'll get directed to YouTube for the video (remember to switch to 720 HD and full screen for the best experience).

Last edited by gremlok; 04-09-2011 at 23:30.
    My AAR's:
    -------------
    I would rather fight an alliance than be part of one - Napoleon
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

My 1st post in this forum Interesting video AAR if I would say.
    Last edited by angryslashonly; 07-09-2011 at 21:30.

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

That was very well made, and well done! I was a bit worried near the end, but the French did you a favor by taking the Libyan Coast, leaving the Ottoman Empire as a one-province minor. I can't remember seeing the Ottoman Empire in the top 4 of the GPs before. It was quite a task taking them down from that level...

The latest 1.4 patch makes it so the Ottomans move their capital to Ankara if they lose the provinces bordering Thrace in Europe. That should make Byzantine games a bit easier from now on, since the two empires will now be able to co-exist. On the other hand, that means that this may well be the last AAR to feature the complete demolition of the Ottoman Empire before the formation of the Byzantine one.

Edit: Oh, one thing I forgot: how come you didn't become a HM's Government by decision at around 1840, reforming instead to a Prussian Constitutionalism in 1845?

Welcome to the forums, angryslashonly!
    Last edited by Selzro; 05-09-2011 at 00:36.
    My AARs: A History of the Wars of the Achaean League (EU Rome Gold) - ongoing --- Subcontinental Subtleties (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - webcomic; complete - *multi-award-winning* --- Sing a Septinsular Song (Ionian Islands) (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - complete - *Winner of the VictAARian Cross, for Best Completed 2011 AAR* --- Tunis Delenda Est (Victoria 2, v1.2) - complete --- and more (all completed): check my inkwell

My mods: The 1948 Arab-Israeli War (battlescenario for HoI2, Doomsday and Armageddon. Current version: 1.1)

Interesting style for an AAR, there were parts I liked and parts I disliked but it was definitely good overall

Quote Originally Posted by Selzro View Post
    That was very well made, and well done! I was a bit worried near the end, but the French did you a favor by taking the Libyan Coast, leaving the Ottoman Empire as a one-province minor. I can't remember seeing the Ottoman Empire in the top 4 of the GPs before. It was quite a task taking them down from that level...

The latest 1.4 patch makes it so the Ottomans move their capital to Ankara if they lose the provinces bordering Thrace in Europe. That should make Byzantine games a bit easier from now on, since the two empires will now be able to co-exist. On the other hand, that means that this may well be the last AAR to feature the complete demolition of the Ottoman Empire before the formation of the Byzantine one.

Edit: Oh, one thing I forgot: how come you didn't become a HM's Government by decision at around 1840, reforming instead to a Prussian Constitutionalism in 1845?

Welcome to the forums, angryslashonly!
    Thanks! Unlike other games Russia didn't do much damage to the Ottomans so it was a race against time in the end. Egypt also fared quite well, only lost a bit to me, the usual areas to the Ottomans and only Aleppo and Palestine to Spain. What surprised me was Egypt going to retake the Ankara region, but it came as a blessing as I was constantly hitting the 25 infamy point ceiling (I do not want to go beyond, my house rule). France did attack the Ottomans around 1905-1910 but their heart wasn't in it and to my disappointment it ended with a wp.

I will upgrade to 1.4 once I finish up my Serbian game - I believe I can't do it in the middle of the game, right?

No idea why I couldn't go HMS. I didn't get a choice, it was simply forced upon me.
    Last edited by gremlok; 06-09-2011 at 15:06.
    My AAR's:
    -------------

Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic

I think you can do it mid-game - the changes are not as drastic as in 1.2, which redid the tech tree, for instance. But it's not exactly optimal. I haven't checked if Greece's HM'sG decision was altered, but it used to require some small amount of consciousness or militancy and would kick off in 1840 (as opposed to the historical 1843).
    My AARs: A History of the Wars of the Achaean League (EU Rome Gold) - ongoing --- Subcontinental Subtleties (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - webcomic; complete - *multi-award-winning* --- Sing a Septinsular Song (Ionian Islands) (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - complete - *Winner of the VictAARian Cross, for Best Completed 2011 AAR* --- Tunis Delenda Est (Victoria 2, v1.2) - complete --- and more (all completed): check my inkwell

My mods: The 1948 Arab-Israeli War (battlescenario for HoI2, Doomsday and Armageddon. Current version: 1.1)

Quote Originally Posted by angryslashonly View Post
    My 1st post in this forum Interesting video AAR if I would say.
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    Interesting style for an AAR, there were parts I liked and parts I disliked but it was definitely good overall
    What parts did you like the least?
    My AAR's:
    -------------

I wasn't a huge fan of most of the sound effects and the almost total lack of information on the rest of the world or your economy made it a bit dry, though I suppose that's a fault of the format where you can't really afford to go into much detail.

Sadly you can't play 1.3 game with newest patch - tried it already.

Anyway great AAR, was awesome.

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest Hour
    EU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: Revolutions

Nicely done.
    East vs. West - A Hearts of Iron Game | Forum | Teaser | Trailer | FAQ

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Very nice. Thank you. I`d like to see more of these.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    LegioMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Awesome. If you could also include more screenshots, battles, and technology advances - perhaps along the lines of fading in at sides while you do text or year exposition - that would be even better, but this is still one of the better AARs in awhile.
    "We give the facts. You can't say that we have a slant because of it. I hear that the jury's in on evolution."

"When you divide a country into two sides, one of which cheers the idea of murder and hate, you don't have much choice in which side you're on."

Ruler of Somewhere else Thandros's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of PrussiaEuropa Universalis IV

In a Secret Underground Bunker 50km beneath the Earth's surface
    That was awesome. Best 14 minutes spent in a while on this forum

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Blog Entries
    That was a great video aar!
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    I wasn't a huge fan of most of the sound effects and the almost total lack of information on the rest of the world or your economy made it a bit dry, though I suppose that's a fault of the format where you can't really afford to go into much detail.
    Thanks for the comments. I never thought about making a "proper" AAR only once the game was over. All I had to work with was 30-some saved games, from where I got the world maps. This did not allow me to go into detail regarding battles, events etc. as I had not record of when/what. Essentially the video shows the storyline of the conquests as you point out.

Originally I only wanted to have the music in the background, but decided last minute to add the sound effects, which I honestly regret afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by yodaime View Post
    Sadly you can't play 1.3 game with newest patch - tried it already.
    OK, will wait with updating then.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonaru View Post
    Nicely done.
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kayapo View Post
    Very nice. Thank you. I`d like to see more of these.
    happy you enjoyed it. although it was fun to do, I clearly underestimated the time required

Quote Originally Posted by Beamed View Post
    Awesome. If you could also include more screenshots, battles, and technology advances - perhaps along the lines of fading in at sides while you do text or year exposition - that would be even better, but this is still one of the better AARs in awhile.
    Noted. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thandros View Post
    That was awesome. Best 14 minutes spent in a while on this forum
    thanks for the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
    That was a great video aar!
    much obliged!
    Last edited by gremlok; 08-09-2011 at 17:30.
    My AAR's:
    -------------

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Great, AAR. I find surprising the lack of Greek/Byzantine AAR's in the forums, I would have think it would be a popular challenge.

I've been thinking the same thing. I've already played a game as Greece back in 1.1, when there was no Byzantium, but have been thinking of revisiting it in the future, as well as trying out Serbia -> Yugoslavia, Iraq -> Babylon, Panjab -> India, or Krakow -> Poland. Those are also interesting challenges which I do not believe have had AAR treatments.

I'd love to see a Panjab -> India game, never saw India united.

Already planned my next game once I finish the Serbian game. Also a unification game but I'll probably be using the NNM mod, however not sure if this is stable in 1.4 or not. I somehow find it most appealing to play the 'underdog' trying to create something (or simply survive) rather than blobbing (played France in EU3 and lost interest 'only' 150 years later as I become too powerful).
    My AAR's:
    -------------

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Tucked away safely in your darkest nightmares
    Blog Entries
    I liked it very much. Congrats on making such a good AAR, and empire!
    My AARs:
    Baghdad in the Sky with Diamonds (last updated 27/08/13)
    So Long Mom, I'm Off to Drop the Bomb - A Fallout 2 AAR (last updated 08/06/14)

Ask how many Divisions I have! InnocentIII's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Excellent.
    I follow Paradox on Twitter and have Johan's photo on my phone for Twitter messages. I also follow the Pope. When the Pontiff tweets, I see the picture and lately I wonder "yes, but is Johan speaking ex cathedra?"
    Check out my Vicky2 AAR: Last Tango in 1.3 - An Argentine AAR Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky1/2 2011 (Round 3) - Completed
    Five for Fighting - A Canadian HoI3 AAR WritAAR of the Week (December 11th - December 18th, 2011) AAR Showcase Week of 6/17/12 - Completed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast