+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in making a mod centered on the Roman era.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Interested in making a mod centered on the Roman era.

Hey all. I have been interested for some time in making a mod centered on the Classical period of history, specifically the rise and dominance of the Roman Empire. There is something called "Latin Universalis" and I checked out the site and from what I can tell (don't quote me, just saying what I saw) they have elected not to update their mod but instead to create a new game using the EU2 engine.

Anyways this is hot off the idea presses and so far I have put in maybe 90 minutes of work, mostly just adding new countries. So far I figure this mod will be from 230 BC to 476 AD using the "Ab Urbe Condita (after the founding of the city) calendar and so in game shall be reflected as from the years 523 to 1229.

I need help with everything, literally. As I said, I just now started to bring this to fruition. I figure I will let this post stay up for the weekend and check back on it on monday to make sure it is somewhat absorbed by the populace here. Any help with anything will be appreciated. *this is the first mod I have ever tried to make*

I imagine the most difficult aspect will be incorporating anything (?) from eastern europe, scandinavia and central asia; I have herodotus and he says cannibals live there and that's where griffins come from. I have a sneaking suspicion my facts need updated.

Okay. That's it I suppose. Once again, anyone interested in helping just reply on the thread. I don't even have a name yet

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2

Blog Entries
    I dont mind coming with ideas and read your thouhts.. You might Want to make the pope indto something else, not sure what thou. And for the HRE it might be used for something as well, no idea thou.

I love that idea..

Ideas:
    The HRE was funded in 800, so it might be a thing to found, Give strong bonuses, as it was an united empire once..
    The pope was VERY strong, and his word was law. But in 476 is was hardly there at all.
    Might want to keep the new world out.
    totally new NI, And not the useless NI from vanilla, but something usefull like in MMU, where all has some use.
    There might be an option for force "civilise" a province for rome, by the sword.
    an option to recreate Rome for byz, or some Miner in the vest. or the "pope"..
    Masive amunt of Holy wars, and BB if you do not join, if the papal power is Very strong. and -3 stab.
    Denmark+most of EU is Heritics(pegan)
    You might want Scandinavia to be Vikings, with Nasty viking teck(axe killings munsters) that needed to be christent to tame)

I got plenty of thougts and ideas, just not very good mooder.
    Jesus...hmm.. Lover of my soul :-)

Restoration-of-Charlemagne-(MMU)-from-Bergyndy ARR

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by chals View Post
    The HRE was funded in 800, so it might be a thing to found, Give strong bonuses, as it was an united empire once..
    The HRE didn't exist in it's EU3 form until the "Golden bull" in 1356.
    MEIOU and Taxes for EUIV - Download Now!
    Development Diary | Wiki | Release announcement | Facebook
    'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except Death MEIOU and Taxes' -Benjamin Franklin
    Death and Taxes - an EUIII DW mod
    'Is this version save game compatible?' -Everyone

I will sign on for helping creating mod, on the condition the timeline is expanded farther up to include the dark ages, concluding either around the Conquest of England or the fall of Byzantium.
    (Stronger Sliders + Ideas, Unique Missions + Decisions, Extended Timeline, DAO Map and More!)

A High Middle Ages Mod from the End of the first Crusade to 1821

Hither & thither, perchance anon whither... ?
    This sounds really cool, I look forward to trying it in the future. You're quite ambitious, that's a 700 year timeline you described! Are you intending to include only the known world according to Rome during the period, or will it have the entire globe? I may be able to help a bit with some historical references, I'm not exactly a scholar but I've read Gibbon et al. Good luck, I'll keep my eye on this thread.
    Cheers
    OPTIMUM SCHOLARUM COGITATIONIS
    A Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind Mod focusing on Europe & Asia from 1411-1789.

"Go slow, don't get rushed, ask for help and, most importantly, remember that our scouts report vague rumors that life outside of EU3 exists" - 17blue17

Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lukew View Post
    The HRE didn't exist in it's EU3 form until the "Golden bull" in 1356.
    Its just a Reform of it. nothing less/else

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roman_Emperor

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Its just a Reform of it. nothing less/else

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roman_Emperor
    I know. But it didn't work in a way that EU3 models it, i.e. with elector states.
    MEIOU and Taxes for EUIV - Download Now!
    Development Diary | Wiki | Release announcement | Facebook
    'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except Death MEIOU and Taxes' -Benjamin Franklin
    Death and Taxes - an EUIII DW mod
    'Is this version save game compatible?' -Everyone

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lukew View Post
    I know. But it didn't work in a way that EU3 models it, i.e. with elector states.
    Very True, I am just saying, there is an option to have it in here, OR use it for something else, like The Pope. It will then be bound by faith, and able to reform the pope to a stronger Papal states, or alike.
    The pope start out quite weak, and EU mostly pagan or something else, and ends up, VERY strong, and all follows of his Holyness.

There shoud also be a cost of being Roman Catholic, as ties will go to the church, and more and more land will go into the church, thereby making the church stronger. There was a time, when the church did own 50% of denmark. Just for stating it, there was a dream to unify It all, It might have gone that way, to be all Kingdom og His holynes...

Captain
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I dont mind coming with ideas and read your thouhts.. You might Want to make the pope indto something else, not sure what thou. And for the HRE it might be used for something as well, no idea thou.

I love that idea..

Ideas:
    The pope was VERY strong, and his word was law. But in 476 is was hardly there at all.
    Might want to keep the new world out.
    totally new NI, And not the useless NI from vanilla, but something usefull like in MMU, where all has some use.
    There might be an option for force "civilise" a province for rome, by the sword.
    an option to recreate Rome for byz, or some Miner in the vest. or the "pope"..
    Masive amunt of Holy wars, and BB if you do not join, if the papal power is Very strong. and -3 stab.
    Denmark+most of EU is Heritics(pegan)
    You might want Scandinavia to be Vikings, with Nasty viking teck(axe killings munsters) that needed to be christent to tame)

I got plenty of thougts and ideas, just not very good mooder.
    The Viking era did not begin until late 8th century so I suggest not to include Vikings in Scandinavia. Scandinavia was diveded in many small kingdoms or chiefdoms.

To help you with North Germanic (Scandinavian) tribes you can use the following wikipedia posts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roman_Empire_125.png
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbri
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutons
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heruli
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angles
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suiones
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitones
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Germanic_peoples
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_tribes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic-Roman_contacts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...es_750BC-600AD
    Last edited by Micro; 06-09-2011 at 00:21.

Captain

Also, I dont think holy wars were that common. At least not holy wars like those in the Vanilla game.

Quote Originally Posted by Micro View Post
    Also, I dont think holy wars were that common. At least not holy wars like those in the Vanilla game.
    This seems to be true. From anything I have read the polytheistic Romans were tolerant, until bumping heads with Christianity that is ;-)
    A Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind Mod focusing on Europe & Asia from 1411-1789.

"Go slow, don't get rushed, ask for help and, most importantly, remember that our scouts report vague rumors that life outside of EU3 exists" - 17blue17

hey all. Thank you all for replying and showing interest. And Micro thank you very much for the links you provided me on scandinavia. I'm positive those will prove very useful.

@starwarsfan541: I suppose that is possible. Because I will be using the AUC calendar we may have to get an extended timeline mod incorporated into our own.

@scocou: The idea was to make the world, at least most of it (not going to worry about the Americas)

I am severely lacking the following:

-Any information on SEECA (that would be Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia. Look how clever I am lol) that is at least partially relevant to the time period. If not enough can be collected I don't see any reason we can't incorporate data from later time periods in order to facilitate construction of the mod. Specifically tribal/kingdom locations, major cities or trading centers and their relations with their neighbors.

-Flag and Shield designs for a lot of the countries. Can anyone create flags and shields because I don't know how and I lack the appropriate tools.

-This may sound tedious to most, but NAMES! First and last! Good god some of these cultures have very few references to names of individuals. And take Carthaginian family names for example. From what I understand it's not even 100 percent sure that Barca was a family name, just something awarded to or taken by Hamilcar. As far as last/family names for the Germans and Gauls...not sure what to do there.

Any and all ideas are welcome so by all means throw 'em at my head
    Last edited by D@rkside; 06-09-2011 at 22:32.

Captain

Im willingly to be responsible for information about Scandinavia, meaning present days Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

However, since no writings exist from this area and time period we are solely dependent on mostly Roman writings. I think the most qouted writer is Tacitus. And surely, informations are very scarce and often contradictory. Tribes and kingdoms are relativly easy to find, but when it comes to exact informations about cities, trading centers, names of leaders and individuals, relations to neighbours, flags and shields we often have to guess or just come up with something. And this is also true for most other Germanic peoples.

The more a Germanic people has been in conctact with the Romans, the more information we have. That means, we have most information of areas close to Roman borders.
    Last edited by Micro; 07-09-2011 at 01:29.

Im willingly to be responsible for information about Scandinavia, meaning present days Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

However, since no writings exist from this area and time period we are solely dependent on mostly Roman writings. I think the most quoted writer is Tacitus. And surely, informations are very scarce and often contradictory. Tribes and kingdoms are relativly easy to find, but when it comes to exact informations about cities, trading centers, names of leaders and individuals, relations to neighbours, flags and shields we often have to guess or just come up with something. And this is also true for most other Germanic peoples.

The more a Germanic people has been in conctact with the Romans, the more information we have. That means, we have most information of areas close to Roman borders.
    Tacitus' Germania is as close as you'll get, I think. It doesn't really pertain to Scandinavia though... slim pickings, to be sure.

Inre: cities, from Germania - "It is well known that the nations of Germany have not cities, and that they do not even tolerate closely contiguous dwellings. They live scattered and apart, just as a spring, a meadow, or a wood has attracted them. Their village they do not arrange in our fashion, with the buildings connected and joined together, but every person surrounds his dwelling with an open space, either as a precaution against the disasters of fire, or because they do not know how to build."

Good luck!
    Last edited by Scocou; 07-09-2011 at 03:35.

Well then we might just have to keep the names and cities as is for some countries. I don't have a problem with that. And I can always just make some up for the more civilized societies that we lack information on. And for now, I'll just re-use vanilla flags and shields until I can find suitable replacements I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by D@rkside View Post
    Well then we might just have to keep the names and cities as is for some countries. I don't have a problem with that. And I can always just make some up for the more civilized societies that we lack information on. And for now, I'll just re-use vanilla flags and shields until I can find suitable replacements I guess.
    Or use natives for the really unsettled/unknown bits in Northern Europe, it wouldn't be much different from representing American indigenous with same. Maybe some oral tradition-type history could be scraped up, I don't know...

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by D@rkside View Post
    I agree, we can keep province and city names from Vanilla, and only use ancient names when available. The same goes for flags and shields.

I have one question though. How do we cope with the migrations that started during the Roman era between 200 BC and 500 AD?

Teutones and Cimbrii started wandering south and west from 120 BC. Some sources states that Jutland was flooded, other sources say that the tribes heard rumors of more prosperous areas in Europe and then started wandering and plundering. Also other tribes started wandering during the Roman era. Later in 100-200 AD Goths and Burgundy tribes from Sweden area started wandering south and east.

Later after 100-200 AD the Cimbrii and Teutones was replaced with Jutes and Angles.

After the Heruli (on Sealand) wandered south and east around 200 AD and the Jutes and Angles began wandering and settled down in England around 400 AD, the Danes (that came from areas in south Sweden) took over the provinces that now is Denmark.

Should we simulate this with missions and/or events?
    Last edited by Micro; 08-09-2011 at 00:54.

You could use events to force migrate countries, such as addind colonies to nearby provinces while reducing the size of their first province.
    (Stronger Sliders + Ideas, Unique Missions + Decisions, Extended Timeline, DAO Map and More!)

A High Middle Ages Mod from the End of the first Crusade to 1821

I agree, we can keep province and city names from Vanilla, and only use ancient names when available. The same goes for flags and shields.

I have one question though. How do we cope with the migrations that started during the Roman era between 200 BC and 500 AD?

Teutones and Cimbrii started wandering south and west from 120 BC. Some sources states that Jutland was flooded, other sources say that the tribes heard rumors of more prosperous areas in Europe and then started wandering and plundering. Also other tribes started wandering during the Roman era. Later in 100-200 AD Goths and Burgundy tribes from Sweden area started wandering south and east.

Later after 100-200 AD the Cimbrii and Teutones was replaced with Jutes and Angles.

After the Heruli (on Sealand) wandered south and east around 200 AD and the Jutes and Angles began wandering and settled down in England around 400 AD, the Danes (that came from areas in south Sweden) took over the provinces that now is Denmark.

Should we simulate this with missions and/or events?
    Colonization?

I like Starwarsfan's idea. It is simple and elegant and covers all the bases.

I've recently been playing the MEIOU mod. Because of it's additional provinces I was wondering if this map would be more appropriate and give us a more accurate portrayal of the borders of the timeperiod. Then again, that's a heck of a lot of additional provinces to configure into the game. This came into my mind when I was adding into the game both the Achaean and Aetolian Leagues. The vanilla map does not let us properly represent them, nor does it Macedonia's influence of the time. I'm sure the map would account for other territorial discrepensies (sp?).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast