• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here it is:
frenchindia.png
Sadly, it seems that there's a white canvas that shouldn't be there...

Besides, as far as I know, you get DH style applying the "birman" (or something like that) distortion to the flag, when using the EFM (easy flag maker) action in Photoshop.

The "displaceBirger" or "displaceVictoria" step only comes in on the flag animation step and not on the shield, so if that's what was screwed up on mine, that'd account for the difference. I'm trying to figure out how to get the transparent sections in the Carnaro flag to stay transparent, but it's doing the shading as an overlay layer and not preserving transparency. It just ends up being white. I suppose for flags like that one would have to go back and manually add the green coloring that DH/HoI uses as transparency?

You will have to convert them to .bmp yourself.

The safest way to do that is to open them and an existing game file of the same type (flag, shield, leader pic, TT pic etc), copy the wanted flag onto the in-game BMP, and save-as under the name you need the new pic to have. No format issues, minimal or no colour loss ftw :D

Anyway, can somebody hook me up with 46 Chinese (Asian will do) female leader pics?

Hello

Can you do these flag in DH style ?

Travancore:

Birger
HoI
Victoria

Hyderabad:

Birger
HoI
Victoria

Mysore:

Birger
HoI
Victoria

Sikkim:

Birger
HoI
Victoria

Marathe Empire:

Birger
HoI
Victoria

Mughal Empire:

Birger
HoI
Victoria

Portugese india:

Birger
HoI
Victoria

So this is the first time I've done flags that required masking (ie: Non-rectangular), and I haven't tested any of these. There's a decent chance that Sikkim, Marathe, and Mughal might need some love to get them looking decent, but the others should be fine. You won't hurt my feelings if you ask someone more experienced to redo them.

The Easy Flag Maker will output flags with three different styles. Birger, HoI, and Victoria. None of them is an exact match for the Darkest Hour flag style (I don't think that anyone has released a texture file to distort the flags in DH style, but I'd encourage the devs to), but Birger is the closest. Pick whichever one you like best.

Also, thumbs up for Filesmelt. It was really really easy to do multi-uploads, and I didn't have to sign up for anything. I figured the most time consuming part of this whole thing was going to be uploading the files, but it wasn't so bad. It also saves them exactly as I uploaded them (bitmaps) instead of a lot of sites which insist on converting to jpg or png, so it should be easier for people to download and use them without having to convert.

I have the PSDs for all of these if you want to play with them in Photoshop or something.

Last edited:
I have a massive request that is pretty indicative of the giant backlog that gripped the HoI2 Request Thread.

Here goes.

GwennHaDu.png

Breizh.

SaintPeteFlorida.gif

Saint Pete, Florida.

file-1.gif

Kanawha Soviet. (The stars are quite pixelly, can we clean them up a bit?)

Thailand1916.png

Thailand, 1916.

YellowRiverFlag.png

Mao's "Yellow River" flag.

Chile1812-1814.png

Patria Vieja.

Sonora.png

Republic of Sonora.

TripolitanianRepublic.png

Tripolitanian Republic, 1919-1923.

Vilayet-Tripoli.png

Tripolitania Proper.

Jaffna.png

Jaffna.

PortugalMaria.png

Royalist Portugal.

za-orang.gif

Orange Free State.

AfrikaneVryheid.png

Afrikaner Vryheid.

500px-Flag_of_Transvaal.svg.png

Transvaal.

Transvaal_Colony_Flag.png

Transvaal Colony.

800px-Flag_of_Orania_%28after_2004%29.jpg

Orania.

Stellaland.png

Stellaland.

500px-Voortrekker_Flag.svg.png

Voortrekker.

Swafrikaflag.PNG

German Southwest Afrika.

500px-Philippines_Flag_Original.svg.png

Original Filipino.

500px-Flag_of_Afghanistan_%281978-1980%29.svg.png

Communist Afghanistan ("Khalq")

Now, here is the thing: I DO NOT WANT THESE IN DH STYLE. I want them in EU3 (that is, normal distortion) style.

Please!

To my understanding, the Birger style that people are using for DH is the EU3 style. Can you look at one of the flags I made in the post previous to yours, and tell us which of the 3 styles you'd like? (Birger, HoI, or Victoria)

EDIT: I'm working my way through these doing them in all 3 styles like the previous post. It's just as easy to do all 3 rather than try to go back and do it later, and it simplifies things if someone prefers a different style.

Last edited:
Here you go. I'm taking a break for a bit after this. ;) I didn't mess with the stars in the Kanawha Flag. It'd easily take as long as just creating the flag, and I figured at 70x44 it's not that noticeable. As always, feel free to have someone else take a look at it. This is broken up into a couple of posts since there's a limit on images per post.

Breizh:

St. Pete

Kanawha Soviet

Thailand

China - Yellow River

Patria Vieja

Sonora

Not to sound ignorant, but what are you guys doing with all these flags?

Oh dear God.

Well you are going to kill me, but of those sets only five I found acceptable.

The fact is, there are too many waves/ripples on those flags. You will notice on shields like this:

shield_saf_autd77d.png
(if it doesn't show up just "save image as"...)

...there are not as many ripples, or if there are, the ripples are not nearly as pronounced.

When you add too many waves/ripples, the image gets entirely too distorted and warped-looking.

Additionally, the Pelican in the Saint Pete flag is now stretched out and even more pixelly. The stars on the Kanawha flag are still equally bad-looking.

I really don't mean to be a bitch, or a gripe, and I beg of you not to take offence, it's just...I have to be honest, you know?

Note For Arcanjo: Please only post Trip. Republic, Jaffna, Voortrekker, Orania, and Communist Afghanistan to yer blog.

Not to sound ignorant, but what are you guys doing with all these flags?

Mods, tweaks, and alternates. I don't request flags and shields frivolously.

There are three "presets" for distortion. Birger, Victoria, and HoI. Any given flag with any given distortion will always come out the same way. It's not like I choose to add more ripples to certain flags. :p If your flag has details that would pop up on one of those ripples, it's not going to look good in certain styles. If your flag is not in 70:44 (1.59:1) aspect ratio, it's going to get scaled when you turn it into a flag. You can correct this for individual flags by making the canvas bigger (you add empty space until the aspect ratio is 1.59:1) and then you have to mask that empty space to make it transparent. Your flags ends up smaller, but it doesn't get distorted by being scaled improperly. This is a lot of work per shield and flag.

That flag you posted as an example uses the exact same distortion as every other _Birger shield, but for that particular combination of detail and coloration, it doesn't affect the flag as much. There's absolutely nothing I can do about that. The scaling/masking issue I could do something about, but I generally won't because it takes way too much time per flag. If it's an odd-shaped flag (swallowtail, square, etc.) I'll do it because it's the only way to get it done, but for a standard rectangular flag, if the image isn't in the proper aspect ratio, and I can't find one that's closer in a 5 second google image search, I'm not going to take the time. There's also the issue of flags that have small details that aren't going to come through clearly at 70x44 pixels in any aspect ratio. I have shields for the US flag from 48 to 70 stars. I'd bet money people couldn't tell the difference between most of them in-game.

I understand that people are going to be picky, and I'm fine with that. Anything I post here is with the understanding that it's as good as I'm willing to spend time making it, and if you don't like it, it won't hurt my feelings if you ask someone else to take a crack at it. I just have to be honest too that I'm not going to spend an hour making sure a flag for St. Petersburg Florida is detail perfect at 70x44 pixels. :p

EDIT TO ADD: I created a thread the other day with a quick tutorial on how to make flags. If you're any good with Photoshop and you want to have a go at making flags, read away! There are links to both of the original "Easy Flag Maker" threads, the original of which has a great tutorial on doing more complex flag editing, including flag and shield masks.

Last edited:
bvre2ijggmnb97bbr.bmp

DH flag and counters please