• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent AAR. I say you should end the vassalization with France, however, you should keep the alliance if at all possible. Then, you should attack Brittany. Take what you can for yourself and either vassalize them or let France take what you do not want at the momemt. Then, if the alliance with France holds, attack Burgundy. Take their Northern, Lowland Provinces while letting France take the rest. Then, try to ally with Britain and break the alliance with France. Eventually, France will come knocking for either you or Britain and if you can survive that war, you are in an excellent position to make great gains at France's expense.

Excellent AAR. I say you should end the vassalization with France, however, you should keep the alliance if at all possible. Then, you should attack Brittany. Take what you can for yourself and either vassalize them or let France take what you do not want at the momemt. Then, if the alliance with France holds, attack Burgundy. Take their Northern, Lowland Provinces while letting France take the rest. Then, try to ally with Britain and break the alliance with France. Eventually, France will come knocking for either you or Britain and if you can survive that war, you are in an excellent position to make great gains at France's expense.

France fights a major war every three or four years, and gets her WE up into the teens...I'm going to wait until this happens, break with her, and then attack Brittany or another small non-aligned power. If she helps, great, if not, my army is bigger than Brittany's (And my inflation is probably too, but oh well, that's the risk of a playing a minor)

Update 2: A Time of Peace

Several uneventful years had passed. The seasons changed, but always came back around again. Things were peaceful in the Duchy of Normandy, and in the whole of France. Duke Henri had passed down reforms to consolidate his administration, recognizing that every coin was precious to pay the vassalage fees to the Crown, and upkeep of his army. The armed forces of Normandy were seven thousand strong men, and in the years since war last ravaged the land, a new generation had risen. Even with seven thousand under the Norman Banners, there were no shortage of young men to work the fields and smithies. Gone were the ravages of siege and hunger…gone too were the longing looks of widows and orphans.

Duke Henri enjoyed riding through the streets of his cities and paths of his countryside. Young Henri often accompanied him, having grown greatly into a strapping boy of ten. He did not care much for swordplay, but had a very sharp mind and could often be found discussing matters of state with the Duke’s advisors. With such a son, Duke Henri had no qualms about the future of the Duchy, so long as the Crown didn’t revoke their ownership of it.

”Father, why do we pay so much to King Jacques and still must keep up our own troops and pay for our own expenses? What is that money going towards?”

Duke Henri was quiet for few minutes, and his son worried that he had said something foolish. ”My dear son, those are questions I have asked myself a thousand times, and found no good answer. We pay the vassalage so that the King doesn’t come with his troops and take these lands away from us. We also pay so that we have their protection should others wish to take what is ours.”

The two rode on in silence for a few minutes. Finally, young Henri spoke: ”Why would the King give you this land just to take it from you again?”

”Because as King it is his right to do what he pleases with his Vassals. The year you were born I was away at war…the war started because a former vassal of the King refused to pay their vassalage and broke with the Crown.”

”What happened to them?”

”Their lands were plundered, and taken back by the King. Their Duchy ceased to exist, and became part of the King’s France. I do not wish that to happen to our people.”

The two rode on in silence, though thoughts were churning violently in both of their heads.

Fall 1411
Duke Henri looked through the correspondence the last messenger had brought. The peace of the last few years had intensified the pointless pleasantries of court. His dear wife Annora had taken care of such things in the past, but it was not proper when the Duke was not away on campaign for him to be absent. It seemed he spent more time in France than in Normandy, and saw a great deal more of the King than of his own advisors.

To make matters worse, there was an alliance between England and France. The English ambassador to the King had made no small hints that the English King felt he had strong claims on the beaches of Normandy. They were, however, allies for the time being…if only there was something to fight against.

Henri came across a letter from the Duke of Alencon…former Duke of Alencon…requesting his assistance pleading with the King. The Duke had said many improper things to the King’s only daughter…things her virginal ears should not have been sullied with. He was certainly lucky not to have been thrown to the rats in the dungeon. Loosing his Duchy was the least of his worries. Henri just hoped the same thing would not happen to him.

”My dear husband, you worry yourself too much over the affairs of the court.” Annora said, coming up behind him and touching his arm. ”You cannot control what the King chooses to do, and you have more important matters to concern yourself with here. In Normandy, at least you are in control and you make the decisions.”

”The calm that has settled over the world has me worried. These noblemen…they are at their worst in times like this…they need conflict and battle to burn off their aggression to rule intelligently.”

”I would hope…” She said kissing him. ”That you are not wishing for another war…” she pressed his hand to her growing belly ”because I should like my husband to be around for the first months of this child’s life.”

”Very well, dear wife, I shall not wish for war…but perhaps we should pray the King’s attention is drawn elsewhere…for all our sakes.”

Spring 1412
Henri paced outside the door. He heard voices on the other side, and the occasional screams of pain. Annora had wanted him to be with her, but the midwives had refused, saying it was woman’s business and no place for an inept man. Since then, the two midwives had each run in and out of the room a dozen times, bringing back steaming water, blankets, and any manner of other things. They said not a word to the Duke, though their worried faces said much.

After what seemed like hours, the screaming stopped…there was silence for a few terrifying minutes, and then the most joyous sound found the Duke’s ear…the crying of a child…his child. He waited…after what seemed like hours the midwives came out.

”You may see her now, my Lord, but only for a minute. It was a difficult birth, and she must rest.”

He went in, and saw his wife laying in bed, her hair clinging to her face with sweat. He noticed that she was very pale, and seemed exhausted. He sat next to her, and stroked her hair. She held their baby…a girl…to her chest. He said nothing to her, and her eyes slowly closed.

After a few minutes he quietly stood, and kissed both his wife and his second daughter, and walked towards the door. As he reached it, he heard Annora’s voice…softly and shakily…speak. ”Aimee” He turned and looked puzzled at her. She was laying with her eyes shut. ”Her name…is Aimee. For you have made me feel loved, and she will remind me of that every day, even if you are far away.” Duke Henri smiled, and closed the door softly.

Great update! The narrative is nice and well written. :)

Indeed, very well crafted. I always like Normandy...even freed it a couple of times from le blob...once it wound up with Paris and stretched into Lorraine, (with a little help) he he he.
But yes, the French are going to be the serious problem for the Duchy with the English a serious secondary threat.

Indeed, very well crafted. I always like Normandy...even freed it a couple of times from le blob...once it wound up with Paris and stretched into Lorraine, (with a little help) he he he.
But yes, the French are going to be the serious problem for the Duchy with the English a serious secondary threat.

Yeah, it's the most difficult normal game I've played. France keeps drawing me into wars, which makes everyone and their brother use my beaches as a landing zone. TBH the English/French alliance has prevented wars in my zone for a while, but it doesn't help when I'm looking for an opportunity to break Vassalage under favorable conditions...like France being badly hurt.

And all those wars ruin relations which means that the 5-merchant COTs I've been maintaining drop like flies during wars, and I get a -1 merchant/year for being at war as well...it'll be a challenge, but the writing is fun.

Update 3: The Outbreak of War

Fall 1412
Duke Henri’s wishes had been granted. France was at war with England, and the entire countryside was ablaze with siege and war. Normandy had, as yet, been spared such things, but it was certain to come. The Duke remained at home, but ready to be called to the fight. French troops had massed to the south, near the border with Aragon, to handle the English provinces on the French mainland. Rumor was that these territories were the cause of the fighting, and that is something Henri was grateful of.

”Father,” his eldest daughter, Jacelyn, called to him. ”Mother wants to see you.” Henri wasted no time going to his wife.

Annora lay in their bed. She had never recovered from the difficult birth of Aimee. The child had lived for five months before sickness took her from them. His wife was wasting away from sadness, and that was an enemy his great generalship could do nothing against.

”Husband…lay near me for a minute…speak comfort to me…tell me you will not go to fight for the King.”

The Duke lay down next to her, and embraced her. ”Annora, I have not left yet, and I will not while you are in this condition.” He kissed her cheek, but it was cold as ice.

”I will not be in this condition much longer. I have borne it as much as I can…but husband, promise me you will not fight in the King’s war…do not spill the blood of our people for him, even if the English come to our cities.”

”Annora…I cannot…”

”Promise me!” Her voice raised, and some color returned to her face.

”I promise, I shall not send our men against the King’s enemies. Rest now, my love.” The Duke and Duchess lay together in each other’s arms as the war raged throughout Europe.

September, 1413
The Duke stood in the small courtyard of the Chapel of the Sacred Heart as the heavy fall rains poured down on him. His fine clothes were soaked and caked with mud, but noone dared to disturb him. There was no doubt who he was, standing in front of two granite gravestones that marked the resting places of his wife and child.

”The English are coming, Annora…they are landing on the beachhead now. I am going to meet them to let them know we have no interest in fighting them. The fighting is fierce in the south. The King is down there with his royal guards and every other able bodied man he can get. I’m surprised he hasn’t come looking for the Norman troops that haven’t been fighting, but maybe he thinks we’re defending Paris…or maybe he is too busy fighting to care.” He wiped a tear from the corner of his eye. ”Henri and Jacelyn miss you…I miss you.”

mourner-crying.ashx

Statue of "Duke Henri, the mourner" a popular representation of the Duke

The next morning, he shaved and put on his armor. Leading a detachment of troops under a flag of truce, he met the English on the beachhead. They were led by the same noble who had claimed loudly in the French Court that Normandy belonged to the English Crown by birthright. Henri spoke of a cease-fire, but the English laughed in his face, and said only a complete surrender of Normandy, including the laying down of all arms and his abdication of the title of Duke of Normandy. Biting back bile, Henri said he would consider their terms, and returned to the city.

He gathered his Captains, and put it to a vote. Unanimously it was decided they would not surrender to the English. Henri rode out to battle the English with seven thousand strong Normans at his back. The fighting was fierce, and the English were destroyed. Henri was returned to his city as a hero, and was interred beside his wife and child as the Duchy mourned the heroic death of their Duke. Young Henri was anointed as Duke, but a council of advisors and lesser nobility guided most of his actions. The tragic loss of both of his parents in such a short time scarred the youth, hardening his heart to way the world worked.

w05_7662c.jpg

Stained glass window added to the Chapel of the Sacred Heart after Duke Henri V's death

Update 4: Long Live the King!

August 1415
The war that had claimed his father’s life raged around Young Henri…at fifteen, he was now Duke Henri VI, taking leadership of the Duchy properly. It was true he had the help of many advisors; but his understanding of administrative matters was excellent. He didn’t need to be a strong warrior to recognize that the continuing war had ravaged France and England. His trips to the French Court had shown him the lack of young men in the fields…and even the disappearing of older men and boys as well.

Duke Henri hated warfare…it seemed a bloody and destructive business that could be revolved through peaceful negotiation without such loss of life. His opinion was a minority. The French King was a war mongerer, and he made his opinion that Normandy was not contributing enough men to the war effort. Young Henri’s opinion was that any men were too many, and they had defeated two separate English landings.

He knew that he had a lot of work to do to prove himself in the Court…he was very aware of how young he was…and how much he missed his deceased parents. He was Duke now, and had no time to be lonely or afraid. He had to be an example for his people, no matter how he felt….no matter how difficult it was. He could not afford to be a boy any longer. There were hard decisions ahead…decisions that only a man could make.

June 1417
The administration of the Duchy was something Henri’s father had left to his advisors. Henri, however, reveled in the day to day operations of the Duchy, and personally looked over every report and ledger. This manner had been too much for Eudes, his father’s political advisor, to handle. He had resigned, leaving for parts unknown. His replacement, Francois, enjoyed long discussions on political matters with Henri. It was the fruit of these discussions, as well as the contents of the ledgers, that caused Henri to gather his advisors to the throne room on the warm summer day. He looked them all over, gauging their moods, before speaking.

”My friends, you have helped me lead this Duchy since my father’s unfortunate death. Without your guidance, this would have been impossible, and for that I thank each of you. What I have to say next, however, is not for those loyal to the Crown first and their people second. If you cannot hold Normandy above France, then you should leave this room, and make preparations to leave this Duchy.” Not one of the advisors made a move to the door. They all looked at him eagerly. ”Eighteen years ago, this Duchy was awarded to my father for his valor in its defense. It has served as a shield for France against invasions from the north, and in thanks for that service, we are taxed to death. There is little gold left in this land, and what is here is sent to Paris. This is not a situation that can continue for much longer. Eventually we will be pressed so tightly that we will have nothing to send to the King; and he will come with his armies to take the land itself.”

Henri took a deep breath. What he was going to say next was treasonous. ”Normandy is not suited to be a Duchy, it is suited to be a nation. We have a right to both the English and French thrones; but moreso we have a right to be free. I for one will fight for that freedom. I will not pay a tax to a King who does not have our interests at heart. We must break from vassalage. I am sending a letter to the king, stating that Normandy will no longer be vassal to the Crown; and a declaration of the Norman Kingdom. I do not wish to make an enemy of France, but they will certainly not like what we will do.”

”My lord,” Alexandre, the inventor, said. ”We follow your leadership. What will you have us do?”

”Sign the declaration. Show the King that it is not just my desire for the gold he thinks should be his, but the will of the people. All the nobles and leaders of men will sign this declaration, and it will be our banner. Show him that we will not be content as servants, but are our own masters.”

There was silence in the throne room. Then at once a cheer went up, and they began to sign the declaration that Henri had laid out.

”Long live King Henri!”

July 1417
The Court of the King of France seemed more daunting than it ever had before. It seemed to King Henri that every courtier was staring at him. As he entered the throne room and was announced, using, he noticed, the title of Duke, the eyes of King Jacques glared down at him.

”You are a traitor, boy. To call yourself King, and refusing to pay the tax that you owe…all during a time of war. It is shameful…your father would ha-“

”My father would have broken vassalage with you, your Highness, just the same. I do not pretend that this will is mine, but the will of the Norman people. They have borne the burden of your taxes, and are weary of it. They have decided to keep me as their ruler and have proclaimed me their King. You will notice the names signed on that proclamation. Mine is one of many,”

The French King’s blood boiled. ”You are lucky we are at war…I will agree to this…abomination…if you agree to keep our alliance. Continue to assist us in this war and any future wars, and we will allow you to play at King.”

”That is agreeable.” King Henri said, and walked out into the courtyard. A buzz of conversation burst forth from the silent room. Nobody had dared talk to the French King like that, and Henri had gotten exactly what he wanted.

”You are either very brave, or very stupid.” A sweet voice said from his right. He turned, and a young lady dressed in blue walked toward him. ”If my mother had your heart and force of will, Auvergne would be a free kingdom as well.”

”I am sorry, but I do not know your name.” Henri said. His throat was suddenly very dry. Facing off against the King of France seemed like a trivial matter when speaking to this beautiful woman.

”Marie…Marie d’Auvergne, though that should be obvious. My mother is the Duchess Jeanne, though you probably already guessed that, your Highness.”

”Please, call me Henri. I was barely used to being called ‘Duke,’ let alone all the Kingly titles.”

”Very well, Henri.” She said with a smile. ”Perhaps you should come and pay a visit to our Duchy…it is very beautiful in the fall when the leaves begin to change. It gives me hope that there will be beauty in the world, even when troops march through our lands so regularly.”

”I shall…” Henri said. ”If you will excuse me, my lady, I must return to Caen.” He took her hand and kissed it. ”I must take my leave…unless you would prefer to accompany me? The seashore can be quite lovely, and the only soldiers in Normandy are our own Norman men.”

Marie giggled. ”Perhaps another time, Henri, I must be going back to Clermont myself. Mother worries while I am away.” She curtsied to him. ”Farewell, your Majesty.”

Henri bowed to her. ”Safe journey to you, m’lady.” She blushed before disappearing into the throne room. Henri smiled broadly all the way back to Caen.

Well that blew...Perfidious albioners, albionese, whatevers...
Too bad about Henri
Time to hope for Castille to lay the boots to le blob before the French become much stronger, cause the English aren't getting the job done it seems

I had planned on Annora dying, but Duke Henri was a surprise...

As per the threat of France...well, we've broken from her, and shall see what will happen. I wonder how many Henri's there will be in this line.

Nice updates! :)

Now King Henri! Recover France and England under the Norman crown!

Update 5: Happy Times in dark Days

Fall 1418
Another year of war had continued to ravage the French lands. Free Normandy was spared from most of the fighting, but an ever increasing stream of refugees from the south came to her cities. These were men and women that had been battered and broken by war. Had they stayed in their home provinces, they would be dragged into the army, or broken by high taxes. Their plight tugged at the young King’s heart.

King Henri, and his small entourage of advisors, including his younger sister, Jacelyn, who was a true flower of a young maiden, traveled down the long roads from Normandy to the Duchy of Auvergne. The closer they got to the Duchy, the more ravages of war they saw. Auvergne was close to the Aquitane, the territory that France and England were fighting over, so it was not surprising that the fighting here was fierce.

”You seem nervous, brother. Does father’s steel bravery not strengthen you? We are not riding to battle, but you seem like you are going to your death.” Jacelyn had ridden up from the rear of the column to a position just beside the King.

”I would prefer a battle. Battles are within the sphere of men…”

”That would make weddings the sphere of women? Be careful, brother, you enter enemy territory. I will make sure Marie knows of your feelings towards this.” His sister smirked at him. Any other King would not have stood for such things, but Henri just smiled at his sibling. They had always been close, and had grown closer since their parent’s death.

Very soon the King and his column were welcomed inside one of the walled cities of the Duchy. People cheered from every doorway and window, and flower petals showered the whole column. The city was decorated in white, with the banners of Auvergne and Normandy flying everywhere. Very soon they were announced before the small Court, and greeted warmly by the Duchess.

”My dear King Henri, it is good to see you again so soon.” Duchess Jeanne said, offering her hand. Henri kissed it before responding.

”I hope everything is well, and the War hasn’t done any damage to your lands or people. The French provinces we passed through have not fared as well as yours seem to.”

”Armies pass through and eat like horses instead of men, but no battles have been fought here, and our own armies have been largely untouched. The King of France seems to want his own troops to fight this war, and I am content to allow it.”

”A wise decision, I am sure. The King’s will is a hard thing to go against, and I am ever waiting for the reprisal that will come from my people’s defiance of it, but this is meant to be a happy time. How is your daughter? Is she doing well?”

”My dear Henri, she is fine. Nervous about tomorrow, as any bride is, but I have taken care of her since birth, so I am certain she is in good condition.” The Duchess had a twinkle in her eye. ”After tomorrow, I can get some much needed rest. Raising a daughter is a hard task, after all. Once you are wed, she will be your problem.”

King Henri was shown to a lavish room. Five servants where there to wait on him, and only on his continued protests were they finally sent away. The King looked out his window, and he could see a long distance into the French countryside. On the horizon, dozens of pinpricks of light dotted the landscape. Experience told him there were the campfires of an army. War was an unfortunate part of his life.

The next morning, he shaved, and dressed in fine clothes, and was escorted by an honor guard of soldiers to the cathedral. Cheers of the people of the city followed him, and he walked nervously up the cathedral steps. Standing before the Altar of God, even a King feels insignificant. The white-haired bishop smiled at him.

”Do not worry, your Highness, a man who is not nervous on his wedding day does not have the right priorities. If you are faithful to God, everything will work out for you, in this life or the next.”

A grand music began to play, and a man Henri did not know led Marie by the arm to the altar. His bride was more beautiful than he had ever seen her. He was so awed by her that he almost missed saying his vows. The ceremony was soon over, and she was his Queen.

I repeat...Stud.
I'm surprised that the French are still squabbling with the English and that somebody hasn't jumped on the le blob's back yet.
That would force Normandy to honour its alliance while again fighting for the King who will take any excuse for laying the Duchy low.

The French-English war is a relatively short one (about ten years if I remember right) but there's very little fighting going on. England drops a stack into Gascogne, France and all its vassals attack it. Wait a year and repeat. Means low WE for France, moderate WE for England, and a protracted war.

Still have an alliance and high relations with France, but very few opportunities have presented themselves for expansion (France took a big bite out of Brittany, which was where my plans were headed. I will say Normandy still exists well into the future.

Update 6: Domestic Life

Winter 1418
Henri and his queen had been received majestically into their Kingdom. In the month since their return from Auvergne, Marie had become the darling of the public. Support for independent Normandy among its own people soared, and there was a strong feeling that should an enemy come with conquest in mind, they would inherit only land after having to kill every last Norman.

Jacelyn and Marie were growing close as well. Henri’s sister had been only five when their parents died, and now that she was eleven, the support of an older woman was important. Soon she would be entering the realm of womanhood, and everything it entailed. The way politics were, that would probably mean marriage to one of the major noble families. Henri would not force her into that, but his sister was as practical as a young girl could be, and would do what was best for their people.

Normandy was swiftly growing into a merchant empire. Their merchants were trading in every exchange in Europe, and even one in Muslim Africa. They would have to find even more markets to expand their influence. Normandy was far from rich, but the income from taxing their own merchants (and the prosperity brought back by foreign goods in their own markets. That would attract attention from the bigger power in Europe.

That thought kept King Henri awake at night. By the light of a stub of candle, he looked over ledgers and reports from his advisors. The situation was grim. As long as France remained an ally, then he had only England and Burgundy to worry about. Brittany was a threat as well, but a minor one. Other nations in Europe posed a threat, but they were more distant than the immediate problems of England, France, and Burgundy. Normandy needed breathing room desperately, but there was no means to gain it.

”Husband, you do yourself and our kingdom no good by depriving yourself of sleep. Is there anything in those papers that will not wait until morning?” Marie said, opening her eyes. It was clear to Henri that she had not been sleeping either, but hadn’t wanted to disturb his thoughts until now.

”There is so little good news that it could wait until Judgement Day and it would make little difference.” The King said darkly. He set the papers aside and snuffed the candle. He wrapped Marie in his arms and whispered in her ear. ”Should God continue to bless me with providences such as you, Normandy will survive long into the future.”

December 1419
”Long live the King! Long live the Queen!” A group of thoroughly drunk men cheered. One of them, a merchant whom Henri did not know personally added: ”And long live Prince Henri VII!”

Henri waved the group to silence. ”I will bring your well wishes to the Queen and Prince, good friends, but both are in need of rest, so perhaps it would be best to take this celebration to the dining hall.” The gathered assemblage of new nobility, the wealthy, and foreign ministers shambled out the door. Plenty of fine wine and other liquors had been consumed, often toasted to the newly expanded royal family. Henri only wished his wife hadn’t insisted on naming their first child after him.

”You have quite the ego, my King, to assume I named him after you. Perhaps it is an honorarium to your father,” she had said with a smirk. With her countenance and humor, a man could easily assume that childbirth was no more hard or painful than sitting too long in an uncomfortable chair. That man would be a fool, but Marie wasn’t the kind of woman that let on her discomforts and pains. Henri was a mindful husband, and the combination made a happy couple.

”Good to know that the succession is safe, milord,” the newly appointed Earl of Cherbourg said to Henri. Upon Marie’s suggestion, he had appointed from the best and brightest men in the Kingdom a new class of nobility. Because of the nature of the forming of the Kingdom, the King and Queen had been the only nobles, save for Jacelyn, who was now the Duchess of Caux. Most of those that were assembled were new nobles, as this was the most important event among the nobility since their induction.

”I am more pleased that the Prince and his mother are healthy. Given the swiftness of my father’s death, having an heir is something of an ease on my mind, but I will be happy if he remains heir for a very long time.”

The drunk Earl seemed unsure if this was a joke or not. ”Indeed, milord. May the royal family be longer lived than all of us.” He drained his glass. ”If you will excuse me, your Highness, I think I should sit down before I fall over.” The Earl stumbled off, and Henri just sighed. The King did not drink much, but always made the pretense of it. Courts did only as the King did, a fact that weighed heavily on him. As the celebration wound down, he was glad to be able to announce he was retiring to his chambers.

Henri crept into his bedroom. Kissing his sleeping wife and child gently, he wrapped them in his arms. The malicious world outside full of war and threats could not penetrate the sphere of familial love.

Summer 1420
The carriage rode hard towards Paris. The roads were very rough, often little more than dirt packed by years of wear and thousands of peasant footsteps, but nearer Paris they turned into paved remnants of Roman road networks. Somehow Prince Henri slept soundly in his mother’s arms through the entire trip. The Royal Family soon arrived at the King of France’s summer palace on the outskirts of the capital. Servant women and maids descended on Marie as soon as she stepped down from the carriage, and she almost had to shove them away.

”I require no assistance, thank you, I shall keep the Prince with me.” She said diplomatically. Henri recognized in her eyes the words she would have preferred to use, but she was a Queen, after all, and had to have some propriety, especially in a foreign court.

They walked into the throne room and were announced. The herald hesitated before calling out ”Presenting King Henri the Sixth, Queen Marie, and Prince Henri of Normandy.” Henri was pleased by the glare King Jacques gave them, as much as he was by being announced as a King in the French Court.

”We welcome you, noble cousins, to our palace. We trust your journey was well?” Henri made a note to tell Marie to kill him if he ever started talking like this sort of fool.

”Quite well, the Prince was rocked to sleep by the gentle moving of our carriage.” Henri replied. ”I trust that things are going well with the fighting in the south?”

”It is of that matter that we have asked you to come.” The French King seemed to stumble over the word ‘asked.’ He was not used to asking anything, but demanding it and it being done without question. He had been ‘asking’ for their presence for months, but Henri had the convenient excuse of his heir’s young age to keep him from this unpleasant task. ”You will remember that we agreed to mutual support in this war. Yet no Norman troops have been seen outside of your Kingdom. We are fighting in the south to keep your lands safe from English interference, so why do you not contribute to the effort?”

Henri remained calm, even if the King was a pretentious git. ”Good King, I recall my father outlining the strategy of the last war with the English. King Charles, may God rest his soul, ordered our Norman soldiers, who were few in number, to guard against invasion from the sea. It is this action that we are taking. Our lands are far closer to England than any French holdings. Surely it is no tactical error to protect Paris by preventing the English from landing at all in the North.”

The French King thought for a moment, and then smiled. ”Perhaps we should meet more frequently to discuss strategy, for you have inherited your father’s ability in that area.” The thought of more meetings chilled Henri’s heart. ”We must insist that you, and the Queen and Prince, stay to enjoy a fine supper. The hunt was very successful this morning, and the cooks should be done with it soon.”

”It would be our pleasure, good King.” Henri said through gritted teeth. Marie was definitely better at being diplomatic than he was. Still, suffering through one meal with the French King was far better than having his troops march through Caen.

Very nice update. It's not too often that you see pure narrative AARs, so this is a pleasant surprise. :)

Very nice update. It's not too often that you see pure narrative AARs, so this is a pleasant surprise. :)

This is what happens when nothing goes on of interest in game...I could just have Henri grow old and die, but that's very boring (to me)