• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nop.

if i had a submarine who had just located and enemy ship-lets say a Kirov or a Udalloy class on its own, should i follow it, or sink it straight away?
oh, and ps. do you think that pincer manoovers are out of date?

if i had a submarine who had just located and enemy ship-lets say a Kirov or a Udalloy class on its own, should i follow it, or sink it straight away?
oh, and ps. do you think that pincer manoovers are out of date?

To instruct someone on the art of tactics is a topic worthy of it's own book. In the scenario above there are some important numbers of variables to consider. So lets look at them first.

1) Is the ship on it's own a "must kill as soon as possible" asset due to the threat it poses to your force
2) Was the ship known to be in this position and you were sent to intercept? Or has the submarine come across the ship by surprise?
3) Do you know if the ship is due to rendevous with other enemy assets? Killing a Kirov is good... Killing a Kirov and a RAS vessel while they attempt a RAS is better
4) What are the likelyhood of enemy subs being present... If you fire a torpedo and there are enemy submarines present you will die.

1) the sub was there to watch the port and not engage other ships-as the opportunity to sneek in again will be gone-however a kirov was not expected
2)the submarine was set to watch a naval base and report on activity and track ships leaving and entering the port.the kirov was hiding behind a small island with engines turned off, and was thus undetectible from sonar
3)it (the kirov) has just set sail at flank speed
4)no subs are present on the surface or docked and intellegence says all subs are away

1) the sub was there to watch the port and not engage other ships-as the opportunity to sneek in again will be gone-however a kirov was not expected
2)the submarine was set to watch a naval base and report on activity and track ships leaving and entering the port.the kirov was hiding behind a small island with engines turned off, and was thus undetectible from sonar
3)it (the kirov) has just set sail at flank speed
4)no subs are present on the surface or docked and intellegence says all subs are away

If engaging the Kirov would invalidate the opportunity to gather inteligence then quite frankly it seems obvious that the Submarine should not engage the target.

While a Kirov is a dangerous vessel it is a diminished threat to a modern SAG or CVBG if running by itself.

The submarine should remain doing it's mission and the Kirov should be reported to a strike group of aircraft from a carrier should be vectored in. If orders are changed to engage the Kirov then it should be easier to find given it's moving at flank speed.

Once the surface ship moves away from you, you have no chance of catching it anyway. Even if you had the speed, the sub will have to crawl to avoid getting detected. A sub needs to intercept a surface vessel. This also means a SAG only has one threat axis for subs: forward. And it will certainly patrol that area.

I would have assumed a port is constantly patrolled by ASW aircraft, so just being there is a high risk.

So, once I spot a Kirov setting out to sea alone, I'd call my friends in the air force and remain on post looking for other targets of opportunity.

well you dont have to stay in the port, you could drop sonar boueys around the perimiter then move off.ih that remindes me are there sonar boueys in NAWC and will there be land based triple A guns? otherwise how are stealthes going to be shot down?

well you dont have to stay in the port, you could drop sonar boueys around the perimiter then move off.ih that remindes me are there sonar boueys in NAWC
Indeed. We showed off sub hunts with sonobuoys at Gamescom. They are modeled as separate units, dropped from (typically) aircraft. You can order an asw aircraft to drop one buoy at a time at specific positions, or order it to blanket a specific area with them. You can set depth (deep or shallow) and active or passive mode.

and will there be land based triple A guns?
There will probably be some land based AA artillery and definitely missile batteries.

otherwise how are stealthes going to be shot down?

Stealth craft can still be detected. Not only by powerful radars at (quite short) range, but there is IR and even visual.

Stealth craft can still be detected. Not only by powerful radars at (quite short) range, but there is IR and even visual.

Will you model the "outdated" but stealthdetecting stationary radar sites of the Russians? Or are they far enough removed to not play a part within the game?

ok,Udaly and bear up top akula down deep i am at 600ft what should i do?

Depends on the situation. Where is the thermal layer? Hide below the Thermal layer so that you can avoid Udaly and Bear. Run silent to avoid the Akula. In an Astute class you are more than capable of avoiding the detection of an Akula if she is well handled. I would personally manouver to be in the baffles of the Akula. Keep doing your best to gather passive intelligence and potentially engage the Akula if need be.

Again depends on the situation... Can you break station? Are we in shallow waters (Then you don't need to be in the Baffles of the Akula, you can use rocks instead.)

ok another situation, ships absalon, Sachsen, daring and a P-3 are assigned to protect a convay of 5 ships carrynig war material from scotland to norway (southern part) what kind of spread should they use? and what distance should they be apart? 3 graney class subs and a Yasen are known to be in the area.

ok another situation, ships absalon, Sachsen, daring and a P-3 are assigned to protect a convay of 5 ships carrynig war material from scotland to norway (southern part) what kind of spread should they use? and what distance should they be apart? 3 graney class subs and a Yasen are known to be in the area.

I think there are too many factors that we don't have information on for an answer to that question to be useful.

Psst... The Yasen and the Graney are different names for the same sub class. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasen_class_submarine

Didnt the russians use sonarbuoys which created the same sounds as a snorkling Foxtrot surrounde by minefields in Red Storm Rising?