American Empires is my attempt to revamp Central and South America. The vanilla set-up in EU3 is hardly representative of history and many threads have come up suggesting changes. I've taken ideas from these threads, my own knowledge, and the suggestions of others and applied them to this mod. It adds more provinces, more nations, more events, more decisions, and whole new dynamics to the New World. My ultimate goal is to not only make the New World a fun and viable option for gameplay, but also to improve the interaction between the New World nations and Old World. This is a difficult goal to achieve and balance, and this mod is still a work in progress, but I feel as if it is far enough along that it's not only playable, but also enjoyable.
- Provinces in Central and South America are reshaped and more added where necessary. Names now reflect native names instead of European ones.
- Provinces were reevaluated and given new manpower, base tax, and trade goods where necessary. These areas of the New World are no longer dirt poor and states can now field much larger armies.
- Central and South American nations now have unique governments that separate them from Old World tribes.
- Two new religions were added to help differentiate and separate these states from those in the Old World and also to prevent strange bugs and exploits.
- The diseases of the Old World now hit in full force, meaning many decades of turmoil.
- First contact with the Old World will no longer be just a DoW from Castille. The AI randomly selects a behavior that determines how it will interact with native states. The player is also given these options as well. The choice taken determines what kind of events fire and how involved the player or AI will actually be in Meso-America and the Andes.
- Native states are given several different routes to both convert to Christianity and to Westernize. The AI is completely capable and willing to do so if given the right set of circumstances.
- Tech groups and Westernization have been modified so that European nations do not begin to show significant superiority until the mid to late 1600's. This is one of the few changes that affects the entire world.
- Many small, yet numerous changes have been added as well, mostly in regards to the New World nations.The Andes
I'm still working on this mod as time permits. While there are no serious bugs to my knowledge, many small balance issues probably still exist. This is where I hope anyone willing to play with this mod might help. If you notice any typos, irregularities, repeating or broken events, balance problems, or even just have simple suggestions or questions, I'd very much like to know.
There are numerous things that I would like to expand or start on in the future. More events and decisions, especially in South America, are on the top of my list. Possibly workings on the North American tribes if I can find someone with the time, knowledge, and vision. I'd like to alter more aspects of colonization in order to see more plausible patterns and timing from the normal European colonizers. I'm hoping to flesh out the post-contact game in order to add more dramatic and game changing events. General balancing and bug fixing will always be my first priority, just to maintain the playability of the mod in general.
Because this mod makes changes to the map, I believe it requires creating a new EU3 directory if you desire to use it separately. Some clarification from other modders may confirm or debunk this. To install you need to place the contents of the "American Empires" folder in your EU3 directory and overwrite anything that comes up. Also remember to clear out all contents of the map cache.To install, unzip the contents to the mod folder of your EU3 directory and remember to select the mod when the launcher comes up. Note that this mod is largely passive and therefore it will not drastically affect a player who will not be playing a New World nation or colonizing the New World. The major exception is the tech speed changes, but those are easily fixed. Currently this mod is made for Divine Wind 5.1, the most current patch. I believe it should also be compatible with older versions of DW as well, but I do not guarantee that.
Version 1.0 (DW 5.1)
Version 1.1 (DW 5.1)
- Colonization has been rebalanced. Not only will the colonizers be fairly historical, but the time and location of colonization is closer to reality now too. This is done through a series of events that guide and aid the AI in colonizing the right places at the right time. These events won't affect the player.
- Mexico, Peru, and Yucatan are all now formable nations under certain circumstances.
- Some Central American states are now a new form of tribe instead of City-States. They can turn into City-States via decision.
- Andean nations now experience a short series of events that result in a Civil War.
- A few balances were made to hordes due to their somewhat stronger tech group.
- Some names were altered to be more correct.
- Some typos and bugs were fixed.