+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II - Dev Diary 11 - War

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn ap Nud View Post
    Aye, but you're warring with the king. If you've captured the king, the war is over, because he has no real choice but to accept all your terms. It's very realistic.
    Of course, the various lords of England would not be so happy, and quite possibly would create a huge rebellion-plot, effectively forcing you to fight the same war over again, if you don't act quickly to limit their power.
    Keep in mind that this is not a modern total war.

You are not fighting some dude. You are fighting your cousin.

If he looks at your peace proposal and says "I'm hungry, have that wench make some chicken," you don't really have a choice to be have said wench make said chicken.

A cease-fire of some sort is realistic. The AI taking over while you are captured is realistic. 50% warscore is realistic. But your knights aren't gonna jeopardize your life by turning over their castles until they know this is an agreement you support personally.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrenown View Post
    As with all our games, you will not be able to refuse a peace offer when you are 100% occupied.
    I take it the AI will not be constrained as such?

Quote Originally Posted by Tegus View Post
    We've also removed all limits to warscore, so whoever reaches >=100% first by any combination of occupation, battles, controlling the correct territory and imprisonment automatically wins the war.
    Sounds like it applies to both player and AI.

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

IIRC correctly from CK1, once you were occupied it was game over. You didnt even have the chance to complain about your King giving your title away. From the way the Devs have phrased this, it sounds highly, highly, highly unlikely that your King will trade away your title unless you are occupied and/or he hates you. Afterall, why would your King trade a loyal vassal (you) for an ambitious, foreign, militarily powerful troublemaker? Best case, its no worse than CK1. Stand and fight by your own merits. Worst case, you can defend yourself by keeping friendly with your liege.

If neither you nor your King can defend your lands...well, then it sucks to be you.

If capturing the enemy King = victory, then the Hundred Years War would have been the 19 Years War

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Melichai View Post
    IIRC correctly from CK1, once you were occupied it was game over. You didnt even have the chance to complain about your King giving your title away. From the way the Devs have phrased this, it sounds highly, highly, highly unlikely that your King will trade away your title unless you are occupied and/or he hates you. Afterall, why would your King trade a loyal vassal (you) for an ambitious, foreign, militarily powerful troublemaker? Best case, its no worse than CK1. Stand and fight by your own merits. Worst case, you can defend yourself by keeping friendly with your liege.

If neither you nor your King can defend your lands...well, then it sucks to be you.
    In CK1, losing your title because your provinces were occupied had nothing to do with your liege.

Paradox Unofficial Poker Brat Moderator Drakken's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfram View Post
    If capturing the enemy King = victory, then the Hundred Years War would have been the 19 Years War
    Huh, the English did capture Jean II. And he had to pay a huge ransom to be freed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    Huh, the English did capture Jean II. And he had to pay a huge ransom to be freed.
    Paying a ransom is one thing and I would love to see such a system in CK2. Losing the war entirely is another.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete

Will marriages and bethorthals between teh feuding families be part of peace negotiations. It was not uncommon to agree to a bethrotal or marriage as part of a peace treaty, to cement the peace and avoid future conflicts. Even Richard the Lionheart offered to marry his sister, Princess Joan to Saladin's brother Al-Adil in an attempt to secure peace in the Holy Land...
    - Pacta sund servanda in pax et belli

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    Will marriages and bethorthals between teh feuding families be part of peace negotiations. It was not uncommon to agree to a bethrotal or marriage as part of a peace treaty, to cement the peace and avoid future conflicts. Even Richard the Lionheart offered to marry his sister, Princess Joan to Saladin's brother Al-Adil in an attempt to secure peace in the Holy Land...
    I doubt, for two reasons.
    Firstly, peace deals can only be three things:
    • victory of the attacker: he takes what he declared the war over. All of it, and nothing more.
    • white peace: nothing changes, both sides lose some prestige.
    • defeat of the attacker: he renounces his claim(s) on the title/land, and loses a lot of prestige.
    I don't know if you see betrothals or marriages here, but I certainly don't. Unless you declare war with the Shotgun wedding CB.

Secondly, betrothals and marriages prevent DoWing in the first place, so if both sides want peace for a looong time, they will arrange it after the treaty. E.g. it remains a separate diplomatic option which is not included in the treaty itself.

So you example is possible in-game, but not as a part of peace treaties. BtW the girl in question would hate you for it if you do this...

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    Yes, that was what I was referring to. It didn't result in Edward III taking the french crown. There was a treaty agreed after a few years of further fighting, but it didn't represent a complete English victory, and in the event was never fully implemented.

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Regarding the issue of a lazy/apathetic/defaitist/antisocial king handing over your county while you still want to keep fighting...

Would it be possible and feasible to implement a possibility for a vassal whose title gets handed over to refuse to accept the peace treaty? The result would be that the vassal would break free and be independent, and the war would continue with the attacking king, but without the support of your own former realm. That is, a position in which the now independent former vassal would almost always be screwed anyway, but would have to be forcibly dislodged anyway. After all, as was said earlier, a vassal is not a provincial governor who can be sacked at the snap of the king's fingers. He's a guy with a private army loyal to him, a private army that needs to be overcome if he decides to contest the decree of his liege.
    So.. digital distribution equals communism?
    I disagree SO MUCH that I have to close this thread now.
    -Kallocain

Victoria 2 Realism & Rebalance Project 2010-2014, Requiescat in Pace

Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Helios Ra View Post
    I take it the AI will not be constrained as such?
    Why? It's the same in EU3/V2, 100% WS means you cannot refuse peace.
    Relentless madman.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrenown View Post
    Why? It's the same in EU3/V2, 100% WS means you cannot refuse peace.
    No, I mean that I assume that if I occupy 100% of the AI's territories, they can still refuse peace, even if it works differently for a human player 100% occupied.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

No, I mean that I assume that if I occupy 100% of the AI's territories, they can still refuse peace, even if it works differently for a human player 100% occupied.
    When has that ever been the case? Im pretty sure the AI has also always had to accept at when 100% occupied if the WS was 100 or less, just like the player.
    Last edited by jpr123; 07-09-2011 at 22:54.

In EU3 you could offer peace beyond 100% WS value, and AFAIK they are automatically rejected (the AI doesn't get to evaluate it).

However, in CK2 you couldn't make treaty offers beyond 100%, and just like in EU3 an offer no more than 100 is always accepted if the enemy is 100% occupied, it will be auto-accepted.
    BtW, in EU3, in Message settings, you should enable a popup for 'some country broken'. It happens surprisingly frequently.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Lead and GoldMagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis d Blois View Post
    In EU3 you could offer peace beyond 100% WS value
    That's great but we're talking about 100% occupation, not 100% warscore.
    Sola Virtus Invicta

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleidoscope View Post
    That's great but we're talking about 100% occupation, not 100% warscore.
    I had point it out because they are a notable exception.
    That is, if you have 100% WS (total occupation), all peace offers at or below it (and all are treated as such in CK2) are always accepted. While above 100% (this is not possible in CK2) they are automatically rejected.

I mentioned it so that no fool could react to 'all peace offers are accepted at 100% occupation' with whining about his beyond-100 offer being rejected.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

In CKII you don't have to conquer the whole nation to get 100% WS. So there is no total occupation needed. As stated you get WS from several things not just conquering his lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezqu View Post
    In CKII you don't have to conquer the whole nation to get 100% WS. So there is no total occupation needed. As stated you get WS from several things not just conquering his lands.
    Like battles, which 'now give a lot of warscore'. (A quote from a dev comment)
    My response would be: in EU3 WS from battles often went to 30-40 in a prolonged war (in which I participated, of course). Which was very decisive early-war, but didn't really matter once I started occupying.
    Though I have to admit, the Battle of Agincourt and a finished-unit-during-siege battle being treated as equal in WS was annoying. Even if I profited from it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast