+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New player seeks help

Achtung PanzerFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

New player seeks help

I bought the game one week ago. I read the forum a lot so I got a little idea on how to play. I started the first german campaign where you have to take the village with the church.

At first i seemed to understand how the game worked but the more I played i realised the less I understood. So i have a lot of questions sorry if some of them seem to be a little dumb.

1. I run out of reinforcent after one hard battle, so i can't repair weapons, replace dead soldiers, fuel up etc. Is there a way to regain such reinforcement like capturing enemy equipment? Do lightly wounded soldiers(yellow ones I think) regain full health after a while?

2. How is the night affecting the game? How far can soldiers see? I tried using the LOS tool but it confuses me more than it helps me. One time I have a tank one a free field and he can't see more then 30 m and onther time the same tank sees perfectly for 100 m but does not shoot the enemy.
    Do flares help?
    I just keep playing the nightmissions it just annoys the hell out of me.

3. How do you attack with tank other tanks? I tried the attack button but the only thing they do is drive forward to get killed in close distance.

4. How do you attack entrenched infantry? Artillery does not seem to work to supress them well.

5. Fighting tanks with infantry. I see that the have AT grenades and when i reach enemy infantry with tanks they get blown to hell. But when I try to attack with my own infantry they don't use the AT grenades. The just die.

I have a lot of problems fighting the tanks. One russian Tank Brigade just destroys me. I tried to attack with my 3 Tank companys but i keep on fucking it up. Even the stug3 seem to do no damage even though the guns should penetrate the t43 easily if I understand the penetration diagram correctly. or does it mean when the penetration line of the ammunition does not meat the armor line it does no damage(even though the munition penetrates way thicker armor like in the mainweapon of the stug3)?

5. When you have Panzergrenadiers with their sdkfz transports, do you attack without leaving the vehicle or outside of the vehicle?

6. Is there a way to postion artillery observers inside towers? I tried placing them inside the churchtower with defense and some guys even entered the churchtower but the LOS was drawn from the sdkfz vehicle.
    Last edited by Anon052; 24-08-2011 at 00:45.

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Anon052 View Post
    I bought the game one week ago. I read the forum a lot so I got a little idea on how to play. I started the first german campaign where you have to take the village with the church.

At first i seemed to understand how the game worked but the more I played i realised the less I understood. So i have a lot of questions sorry if some of them seem to be a little dumb.
    This is a great game, it has particularities, but stick with it... its fun, but short.

1. I run out of reinforcent after one hard battle, so i can't repair weapons, replace dead soldiers, fuel up etc. Is there a way to regain such reinforcement like capturing enemy equipment? Do lightly wounded soldiers(yellow ones I think) regain full health after a while?
    Well, frankly speaking... you will want to try and preserve your forces one way or another. Try not to take too many losses. You can reinforce troops between turns, but are limited and used for your entire force. At the end of a day, go to the screen where you can see each platoon. Give a click around and you'll see you can change machine guns for mortars and artillery, scouts, etc. But you can only replace infantry with infantry and support with support.

2. How is the night affecting the game? How far can soldiers see? I tried using the LOS tool but it confuses me more than it helps me. One time I have a tank one a free field and he can't see more then 30 m and onther time the same tank sees perfectly for 100 m but does not shoot the enemy.
    Do flares help?
    I just keep playing the nightmissions it just annoys the hell out of me.
    Yes, night effects things... hidden soldiers are harder to see and can also be told to hold fire for ambushes. Flares do help a lot as well as headlights on the tanks and vehicles, although they also give away position.

3. How do you attack with tank other tanks? I tried the attack button but the only thing they do is drive forward to get killed in close distance.
    Set up a field of fire for automatic fire... there is a also another button for direct fire... give it a closer look.

4. How do you attack entrenched infantry? Artillery does not seem to work to supress them well.
    Flank them, or move around them and force them to retreat, then kill em all.

5. Fighting tanks with infantry. I see that the have AT grenades and when i reach enemy infantry with tanks they get blown to hell. But when I try to attack with my own infantry they don't use the AT grenades. The just die.

I have a lot of problems fighting the tanks. One russian Tank Brigade just destroys me. I tried to attack with my 3 Tank companys but i keep on fucking it up. Even the stug3 seem to do no damage even though the guns should penetrate the t43 easily if I understand the penetration diagram correctly. or does it mean when the penetration line of the ammunition does not meat the armor line it does no damage(even though the munition penetrates way thicker armor like in the mainweapon of the stug3)?
    The russian infantry have anti-tank guns... the german infantry doesn't, though some armoured personnel carriers have anti-tank guns which are good - They are also very fragile and should be used from a far and very carefully. I never use the Armour Penetration chart, instead trying to avoid head on attacks and exposing my flanks. I tend to use Anti-armour for tanks and tanks for infantry - with suppression fire from infantry and some mortars as well... never try and drive over them if they have anti-tank guns. They'll kill ya.

5. When you have Panzergrenadiers with their sdkfz transports, do you attack without leaving the vehicle or outside of the vehicle?
    Always outside the vehicle, and then spread them out. One well placed hit with troops inside will wipe them all out.

6. Is there a way to postion artillery observers inside towers? I tried placing them inside the churchtower with defense and some guys even entered the churchtower but the LOS was drawn from the sdkfz vehicle.
    I dunno, Spotters are hard to use well. I tend to use buildings and forests only.

Achtung PanzerFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

Hi,

thanks for your answer

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderlicht View Post
    You can reinforce troops between turns, but are limited and used for your entire force. At the end of a day, go to the screen where you can see each platoon. Give a click around and you'll see you can change machine guns for mortars and artillery, scouts, etc. But you can only replace infantry with infantry and support with support.
    I understand how reinforcements works. But my question was if there is a way to get more reinforcements. More Soldiers to replace dead ones, more manhours to repair vehicles, more ammo und fuel to resupply. Because I'm at the end of the campaign and a lot of units have practicly no ammo left and i can't resuply them. This is quite frustrating.

Flares do help a lot as well as headlights on the tanks and vehicles, although they also give away position.
    How do you use the headlights?

The russian infantry have anti-tank guns... the german infantry doesn't, though some armoured personnel carriers have anti-tank guns which are good - They are also very fragile and should be used from a far and very carefully. I never use the Armour Penetration chart, instead trying to avoid head on attacks and exposing my flanks. I tend to use Anti-armour for tanks and tanks for infantry - with suppression fire from infantry and some mortars as well... never try and drive over them if they have anti-tank guns. They'll kill ya.
    I was talking of AT handgrenades. The german infantry has the 6x m24 and the HHl-3 (Hafthohlladung 3). But I don't know how to use them. I tried using the attack move but it dosn't work.

thank you very much

+ Reply to Thread