• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Axis are themselves responsible for this situation.Too much aggression led to usa entry.

I wonder how far Germany will push the navy breakout and if he gets burnt pushing too far :)

one thing i don't like about a game that deteriorates into a race for moscow scenario is that besides capturin vlad Japan doesn't have much to do

Nice update.... the Italians is now a burden for the Germans

Looking forward to next update!

Though it is a blunder too lose the stockpile I can agree on the rationale for not put to much effort on defending the whole Italian coastline. If Italy was running low stockpiles it could have been a formidable bait even. Most likely the capital link to the stockpile was forgotten by the axis in the heat of battle.

So... you just instantly teleport their entire stockpile out of their country after a "lightning" amphibious invasion which you can easily retreat back into the sea as quickly as you came?

Right. *sigh*

So... you just instantly teleport their entire stockpile out of their country after a "lightning" amphibious invasion which you can easily retreat back into the sea as quickly as you came?

Right. *sigh*

It's a game, and I would think everyone playing it knows how easy it is to do a naval invasion in it. No point sighing, the Italians could have planted milita units all over I suppose, with a motorised corps in reserve to quickly reinforce at any invasion. Don't know how viable that is IC wise though.

Last edited:
The sigh was due to the game mechanics. It really is damn depressing. :sad:

With no house rules to cover the use of those mechanics, it is certainly fair play. But it does create some pretty eyebrow raising situations that accentuate how unbelievable and in some ways fairly stupid those very mechanics make the game. :eek:hmy: I doubt Italy has any chance whatsoever to effectively defend against that if allied players set out to use it to the max, maybe building 12 garrison+art divisions and placing them around rome and in the large ports would do it, but that is highly unlikely.

With that said and with a mind to the current house rules in play though; Good job to cpt Easy in using those mechanics to it's fullest and with great effect. I have enjoyed these AAR's a lot so far, and other games have certainly not been less gamey in the use of mechanics by either side (axis or allies), this just happens to be the mechanic that is most out of whack (possibly along with supply and weather effects). :)

The german player should do a sealion ^^
Also, a Mullberry port had quickly been placed on a safe beach to quickly give the attackers some supply (green circle).
You guys make a ton of home rules so the game doesn't get too gamey...but immediately create new gamey ideas :p

Anyway, great update...but almost no news on USSR or Japan/USA. I guess becuase you were too busy with Italy?

Russian player from this game here. I'll provide a short written report from the Russian front at this stage in the game. As stated by CptEasy I was constantly asking the allies to occupy Axis forces and attention. Because I'm loosing land... and fairly quickly as well. Whenever Allies started their actions toward Axis I would immediately see a drop in the constant attacks and even be able to take control of the air space in some areas.

Although my infantry tech is slowly catching up and I am more or less holding my ground in defensive terrian I am still taking heavy beating by German tanks in open terrain. Although I tried to match him with my armour (mostly light and medium, but my first heavy armour was now seeing the light of day) I was just too far behind in tech, doctrines and leaders. And to avoid pockets I had to surrender defensive positions without putting up a fight. Even worse was that German progress towards the Black Sea was threatening cutting off my forces in Rumania.

I was hoping for the Russian Winter strategic effect, but it seemed like the German player deliberately avoided pushing at the areas that would trigger this. So no help from the bonuses that it would provide.

Someone suggested a push at Japan. I had no troops to spare at that front and almost all of my reinforcements were deployed in the western theater. Even if I had the troops to spare in Asia, progress would be slow. Low infrastructure and the current winter makes offensive actions difficult. The good news is that it goes both ways. Very few skirmishes - if any - were taking place in Asia. I was using the low activity to slowly and controlled retreat my streatched front. The plan was to fall all the way back to lake Bajkal. I did note that in the far north Chinese troops had start to spill over my lines. As I just could't spare any troops there I chose to ignore it. The big areas, icy conditions and extra low infrastructure would make their progress ultra slow.

From reading the soviet perspective allies still have the advantage,but italy needs to go to make it decisive.
If axis forces in south italy are lost hopefully axis will set up a defnsive line in the north which might take a serious amphibious operation to dislodge.

Thanks for all your comments. I see Maxyboy have answered some of them (thanks!) and I will make a go at some of the others. I'm just back from a trip to Berlin and had the plesure of getting a local WW2-knowledgeabel tour guide (Thelamon). Big thanks for that! Really nice to see this wonderful page can have some added values in real life :)

* Mullberries being gamey? I have to add my voice to others - I don't think it is. Then, they should not be much better than lvl 1 either as they did not really live up to the expectations. Still, better than nothing.

* Operation Legion and similar tactics being gamey? Well, as we have discussed before, several times, HoI3 does not describe amphibious landings properaly. We all agree on that. That said, for Allies to mount an operation of this scale this "early" is possible largely because of 1. ITA agressiveness draged US into tha war 2.ITA lost RM very quickly and seem to put all/majority of IC on land troops instead of new navy. Having KM locked in the Baltic is also a factor. This gives UK/US an extreme freedom to act on the seas (and not defend other territories) and that is part of the reson it appears so overly efficient and gamey tactic. In previous games, UK had both hands full of defensive warfare without a chance of pulling something like this off. Thats why we have not seen any reason to deal with this issue. I'm not sure we will do it now either. Modding it would be nice, but house ruling it will be complicated as it is impossible to keep track of too many HR-details when playing without any pauses.

* Loss of stockpile gamey? It is of course not logical. On the other hand, losing your capital would probably have so many other effects that HoI doesnot describe so I think it adds up pretty well in the end. It is still a game, allthough I sometimes forget it ;) , so everything cant be expected to be exactly right... as long as it is fairly ballanced Im happy.

* Allies supporting USSR through Archangel? Well, we have no house rule stopping it, but I think the Allies can put them troops to better use elsewhere. In Soviet they will be stuck in grinding warfare were the Germans will be superior. Also, military access doesn not give supply, right, so they would soon be useless anyway - or have that been changed in some patch?

Will try to give you a new update soon. Life is busy right now. Cheers.

Royal Carnage

Chapter XII - Operation Legion, Part II

Human Players: Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, USA, Soviet

Recap: It has been some dark months for the Axis. Japan is being pushed back in the Pacific, Italy is being punished in their own land and Germany, having to babysit their weaker ally, has problem to keep the pressure up on Soviet. Still, Axis are not out of aces...

11-5.jpg

January 10th, 1941

Alas, the hard pressure from the British forces paid off as they found a gap in the Axis defense. Suddenly, the Italians were once again caught in a pocket. A desperate journey, which started in Tivoli, just east of Rome, now seemed to get stuck in the L’Aquila pocket. Except the Italian troops, deadly weary, the Germany paratroop division and the infantry division who bravely kept the sack open, was now captured.

The Axis units outside the pocket seemed fairly few, but as they consisted only of German troops, it was not something the British leadership took lightly on.

12-5.jpg

January 10th-13th, 1941

Kriegsmarine did not flee back to the safety of the Baltic Sea after sinking the two old destroyer flotillas. Instead, they went on a killing spree with their entire might. The British leadership tried to get all the smaller sub-hunting taskforces to return to the safety of the ports but the two German taskforces managed to spy several of them, including an American transport detachment. It became painfully obvious that the Royal Navy had left the oldest ships home, believing the Germans trapped in the Baltic Sea. With Copenhagen lost, the seal was gone and the Brits were too involved in the Med to shift their forces very quickly.

The Brits won half the battles (the first loss was January 3rd) but one of the victories was in fact the most terrible loss of them all in terms of lost ships. Still, the Germans took losses too and several of their remaining capitals, including Bismarck and Tirpitz had taken quite serious hits.

Now, the Brits, used to splendid victories at sea, wanted to move on these wounded giants before they could reach safety. An ad hoc task force was assembled out of every ship around the British Isles, not currently damaged, with the aim to reach the German master task force…

For the British populace, this was a disaster. The parents, relatives and friends of all the thousands of killed sailors were completely unprepared. After victories in the Med and the Pacific, the greatest disaster came just around the corner – were it was the least expected.

On the picture: Admiral Hipper

13-4.jpg

January 12th-13th, 1941

After one of the lethal naval battles, the smallest of the German task forces had to seek refuge in Den Haag. All the remaining four ships were in a terrible state and far too close to British airbases. Bowhill immediately attacked with his three experienced squadrons of naval bombers. As Den Haag lacked anti aircraft, it was a fairly easy mission. Luftwaffe seemed to be occupied elsewhere and the two heavy cruisers Deutschland and Graf Spee were sunk within short, together with the remnants of a transport flotilla.

Then, however, when Bowhill’s naval bomber came in for Gneisenau, enemy fighters intercepted them and forced them to abort the mission with considerable losses – at least for the 15th Squadron.

This meant that Kriegsmarine now had lost 5 Heavy Cruisers to Allies 3. That made up for a little of all the smaller ships that the Royal Navy had lost. Once again, the naval bomber pilots were heroes of the day.

14-2.jpg

January 13th, 1941

Finally, the Ad Hoc Task Force of the Royal Navy managed to make contact with the main Kriegsmarine Task Force. Earlier combats had taxed their capitals dearly and they were probably sailing a safe harbor. That would not be. Even though the Brits were inferior both in number and size of ships, their ships, in difference to the Germans, were in good shape and with well rested crews. Also, the pride of the Royal Navy, HMS Nelson, was with them.

The Brits tried to close in the Germans in the freezing winter storm, but as the battered enemy wisely tried to sneak away, it was difficult to come within firing range. A few short were fired but the Germans slipped away in the storm and took refuge in the ports of Amsterdam without any ships being sunk. It was a major anti-climax for the Brits. But it was good news too. The British leadership knew exactly where they had the Kriegsmarine now, minus the u-boats, and both these ports were under naval siege. Not only that. These ports were well in range of entire RAF. It also meant that there was no German in the Baltic Sea, which opened up for some new possibilities.

With the naval bombers being grounded after the battles over Den Haag, peace came to this area just as sudden as it was broken a few days earlier.

17-3.jpg

January 15th, 1941

Denmark was taken by the Germans and three American divisions perished there. Still, the Germans had no or little navy left in the Baltic to protect the Danish Isles.

Authors note: The port of Kopenhagen is lit, as if used. Well, it is. By a British submarine unable to get out as the Sound is closed. But is still doesn’t vanish but let me see Kopenhagen and all three surrounding provinces. What a bug. Still, it is an easy prey for German bombings.

18-2.jpg

January 15th-20th, 1941

In December 21st, when Rome fell, the Tivoli pocket was created. One week later, the 28th, the Germans reopened the sack by a cunning paradrop. Fast-moving Brits extended the sack and captured the brave German paratroop division as well.

For the Italians caught in the moving pocket, these days were hell. They manage to forage supply wherever they got, and the British assaults were not too bad. The problem was that they were constantly under some sort of attack. The only break they got was under retreats – but then they always ended up in new battles.

In January 15th, the German paratrooper division who had fought so valiantly to keep the sack open succumbed. By that time, several HQs had already surrendered. The remaining infantry divisions, five Italian and one German, had become a ragged lot. The attacking Brits were fewer in number but the Axis forces in the L’Aquila pocket was extremely battle-weary after more than three weeks of constant fighting. After little less than a week more of fighting in the hilly province, the last Axis soldier threw away his rifle and gave up.

This was a grand victory. 5 Italian divisions, 4 or 5 HQs and 2 German divisions, including a paratroop division, had surrendered in what started out as the Tivoli pocket. Earlier in Operation Legion, another two or three Italian divisions, including a mountain division had surrendered. These victories, as well as the Italian stockpile, were tremendous indeed.

19-2.jpg

January 21st, 1941

But the sweet days were coming to an end. The three German panzer divisions had returned together with Italian reinforcements pulled from Balkan. The poorly equipped Americans buckled under the pressure. Soon, Axis would drive them in front of them. It was time to end the operation and pull back. The day was won.

21-2.jpg

February 1st, 1941

Death and murder! The Axis managed to pay the Allies back. The American was under too much strain with battles in the Pacific and the Med. A powerful iron-thrust by the German panzers managed to blitz through retreating Americans and as much as 8 divisions was lost. It practically equaled the Axis losses during the operation. The Brits landed some of the troops they had already pulled away. They did not manage to reach the captured Americans in time and instead ended up in a prickly situation themselves. After some maneuvering, they managed to get out of Italy, practically ending Operation Legion.

With Allied and Axis losses being more or less the same, the Operation Legion was still a victory as the Italian stockpile had been taken and considerable pressure had been taken out of Soviet for about a month. The Soviet leadership reported that the German pressure during Operation Legion and eased down to so little, the Red Army managed to get full organization back to the majority of their troops. They were prepared for new battles now.

The American losses were another matter, all together. With the three divisions lost in Denmark added to the losses in Italy, they were up in 11 lost divisions in Europe. This was a terrible loss which would significantly affect their power in the European theatre in the future.

15-3.jpg

December 17th, 1940

Before the year of 1940 was at its end, Japan retaliated against the Allied offensives in their core sphere of interest. After several naval battles around the American held Taiwan, the Janks was chased off. Soon after, the Japs landed a strong army and even dropped paratroopers right on top of the Americans guarding the only harbor.

It took a little while, but then all the Americans were either killed or captured. With the losses coming later in Europe, it mounted up to 14 lost divisions in a few months.

Mixed success, but at worst you bought the Soviets and Americans time. Every month that Soviet and US manpower, tech and IC grows, the faster you'll catch up and have a serious chance at winning (I hope!) I think Operation Legion was still a success but it's clear that the US' slower move speed needs to be accounted for next operation, if a major disaster is to be averted.

The action is extremely intense. The German victories on the seas are impressive, but they probably gambled too much with this move. Their remaining capital ships are battered and they are not powerful enough to threaten the UK. All the Axis can do here is to harass the UK IMO.

Italy is an interesting theatre. At first it looked like the total Allied victory, but the American losses evened that out a bit. Still, every div that must be deployed in Italy is a div that could potentially be used in the East, so...

The Japanese are doing good, as usual in HOI3 MP games.