• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(241306)

Recruit
4 Badges
Dec 22, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
I recently tried to play AoD again after an absence of several months but my mouse cursor is invisible on the screen. I can see it highlight buttons on the main menu and the buttons work when I click on them but the cursor itself cannot be seen. The cursor is visible on the top one inch of the screen though. But it disappears when I move it down.

I'm using Windows 7, with an Intel i7 CPU, and two ATI Radeon HD 5670 video cards. I'm using the Steam version of the game.

This problem appeared just recently, I played over 100 hours of AoD previously without this problem showing up. I have the same problem with HoI 2, but not with HoI 3.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix the problem? I've tried deleting and re-installing the game but that doesn't do anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Disappearing mouse cursor fix for ATI

Hi All,

I was experiencing the disappearing mouse cursor issue on an ATI Corssfire system and found a fix that I thought I'd share. All you need to do is the following:

1. Open the Catalyst Control Centre

2. Click the "Gaming" button, then select "3D Application Settings" and deselect "Enable surface Format Optimization"

3. Don't save any settings yet!

4. Click the "Presets" button and select "Add Preset"

5. Type in a name for the preset and click the "Application" button down the bottom and make sure "Start the following application file is selected". Click the "Browse" button and navigate to the directory where your installed the game and select "Darkest Hour.exe" (i.e. NOT "Darkest Houre Launcher.exe")

6. Click "Save"

7. Close the Catalyst Control Centre WITHOUT saving any setting because you still want the previously deselcted optimization to work with your other games.

8. To play the game, select the preset you just created from the system tray by right clicking on the CCC icon, select "Invoke Preset" and then click on the preset you just created.

It looks involved but it takes about 30 seconds to set up. Now I have no more disappearing or flickering mouse cursor.

I've confirmed that it works with all Europa Engine games such as Arsenal of Democracy, For the Glory etc.

Cheers

Mark"

and "Oops, forgot to mention that you need to open the preset XML file in notepad (in Windows 7, they are stored in c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Presets) and search for the text "CatalystAI". Make sure the value says "Disabled". If it is enabled, just change it to "Disabled".

All this because ATI, in their wisdom, took the option out of the newer CCC drivers."

Credits go to/written by mgarnett.

Thank you for the help UltimateTobi. I tried that solution but I couldn't get it to work. Luckily I found some other threads on the forum and found another solution that does work.

In case anyone else has the same problem just follow these steps:

Open the Catalyst Control Center (If you don't know what this is just search for "Catalyst Control Center" under the Start button on Windows 7)

1. select the gaming tab

2. then click AMD CrossfireX Configuration

3. make sure the box that says "Enable CrossfireX" is NOT clicked

4. click apply at the bottom right of the screen

That fixed the problem. You'll want to turn on the CrossfireX before playing another game since that helps your computer use two different GPU's at once.

I might be doing something wrong, but I can't get it working, and its frustrating. Catalyst control center has also changed some since this post, but if anyone has an idea how and what to do please let me know

The bold part is what changed after ATI 10.10.*** driver series, I believe.

Catalyst Control Center > Gaming > 3D Application Settings

Find the "+Add" button, click it, choose the game's .exe file to work on the settings that affect only that .exe.

Turn off the "Surface Format Optimization" and "Disable" the "CrossFireX Mode" at the bottom of the options.