• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alicuza

Field Marshal
109 Badges
Mar 23, 2007
  • Sengoku
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities in Motion
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but Magicka is pretty much dying.

The activity in the forums (be they steam or Paradox) are all about technical problems, the steamgroups are silent, the ESL Versus is deserted.

And this although steam says 950 players are playing the game.

Is it time to take what you've learned from Magicka and start work on Magicka 2, focusing on having a good and reliable netcode?

Yes, it's sad to say but Magicka seems to be fading slowly...

I agree with Ranakastrasz with regards to the Campaign... it really needs a difficultly mode. Or atleast a FAST mode (like Time Warp R-E, but 200% speed instead of 50%).

PvP is awesome but simply lacks PEOPLE... I crush players everyday and I think it just discourages them from playing PvP. We need someone to keep the players active, such as more tournaments, practice sessions, casted matches, whatever...

Is it time to take what you've learned from Magicka and start work on Magicka 2, focusing on having a good and reliable netcode?

As Yoda would say: Time to Magicka 2, it is.

Things may be in a lull at the moment but Arrowhead are working on more content as we speak (if I read the community update correctly) and once it's released I'm sure the player numbers will spike again. There's plenty of life left in Magicka if you're patient enough to let Arrowhead get more content generated.
Once they've figured out exactly what we want in the game and exactly how they should go about doing it then they can start on Magicka 2 or whatever it is they make next.
For now: relax a little and keep an eye on teh forums / twitter feeds to see what's coming up ^_^

I personally think that being able to hide or scramble the elemental UI (rearrange them, hotkeys still correspond to same position) would allow for you to replay with a *lower skill level* and allow you to screw up just as badly as your friend who just joined.
A time scale bonus would be interesting. I think the option to randomize the elements (position and hotkeys) would allow for a more challenging campaign.

Things may be in a lull at the moment but Arrowhead are working on more content as we speak (if I read the community update correctly) and once it's released I'm sure the player numbers will spike again. There's plenty of life left in Magicka if you're patient enough to let Arrowhead get more content generated.

Well, more content won't fix the lag problems in MP, which to me seems to be the primary problem of Magicka's decay.

For now: relax a little and keep an eye on teh forums / twitter feeds to see what's coming up ^_^

I will be the last one to abandon Magicka. I love the game. I just hate the lack of people.

PvP is awesome but simply lacks PEOPLE... I crush players everyday and I think it just discourages them from playing PvP. We need someone to keep the players active, such as more tournaments, practice sessions, casted matches, whatever...
Try 2v1. If that's not hard enough, go to 3v1. If that's not hard enough, you might be my twin.

This is fantastic game, but still game with some elemental flaws. SP has just so much of content, and MP has issues with connectivity and lag. Add to that lack of game modes versatility. Still, it is a durn good game - in my opinion.

Another reason why the campaign gets boring is that it's too deterministic. The only reason people still play Diablo 2 so much is because of it's randomization. Now I know the maps weren't designed for randomization, but Magicka could provide some form of randomization through Magicks, Loot/Drops, Mobs, Mob Spawn Points.

To keep people player Magicka PvP we simply need to keep organizing events and keep people aware of these events. I would also be a good idea to post notifications of these events on Facebook and Twitter, because very few people are even aware of the forums / steam groups. I think it would be a good idea if Arrowhead makes a Staff-only wizard robe that they can easily give away for tournament winners, kind of like the Recon Armor in Halo 3. Because as much as Bathrobes are cool, they can be costly in the long term, whereas an exclusively giveaway robe would allow more frequent events and more participants.

Try 2v1. If that's not hard enough, go to 3v1. If that's not hard enough, you might be my twin.

Lol, I did that once and one of the players raged and called me a cheater... it was funny though :)

Another reason why the campaign gets boring is that it's too deterministic. The only reason people still play Diablo 2 so much is because of it's randomization. Now I know the maps weren't designed for randomization, but Magicka could provide some form of randomization through Magicks, Loot/Drops, Mobs, Mob Spawn Points.

Thisthisthis, I keep saying it but Alien Swarm is a perfect example of this with its Onslaught mode.

Even though I've beat that game I STILL go back and play it now and then, and its like a fresh experience every time, because of the randomised mob spawns.

Also the progression tracking is cool since if you're with a slower group you get craploads spawning to herd you along, and if you're with a good one you get the stronger mobs and parasites (facehuggers) appearing infront of you to slow you down. The levelling system to unlock new weapons (or spells?) could possibly go nice too.

Just the randomised spawns would help (as well as the standard story ones), it would help LOTS in having it be not only more difficult, fun and a fresh experience. You're playing it purely for the gameplay then and a good time, which is Magicka's main strength. :)