• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cool aar, I like to see people try the later scenarios rather than the GC, and miscmods colonisation looks interesting. I also especially like to see my mod in action!

Leviathan07: It does make it more realistic, although I think it is a bit too static. For example Brazil will always appear where it does as long as Christians colonise there, which happens 90% of the time.
ddudee: As long as you have a stable nation, it is possible to avoid the majority of colonial revolts. A skilled player can easily hold onto their empire. It’s just the AI that has a ton of problems dealing with events and revolts.
Selvetrica: They look tough, but they still have a ton of cores held by others. If they manage to unify then I’ll start getting scared. In any case I pick up a good ally against them this chapter.
Ilovecheese, Blackfish: Thanks!
knuckey: Thank you for creating such a useful mod, and I’m glad that you like my AAR.

Thank you for the replies. Apologies for the delays on this update.

Oceans Apart: The Brazilian Revolution
Chapter Five: Foothold

TZcxd.jpg

Revolutions continued across the New World. Mexico broke away from Holland and the crumbling empire could only watch. Revolts were also spreading into Texas, and they too would soon break away. Ironically, the east coast where Washington continued to foment rebellion was comparatively peaceful.

EleZP.jpg

As much as I wanted to continue expanding the empire into new regions, Brazil’s finances were just barely breaking even from the immense cost of the military. I ordered a freeze on recruitment for the time being, which meant that any new conquests would have to be in reach of the present armies. As such continued expansion in Africa was the order of the day. Besides Mali, Granada held significant colonies as well. It was then that I decided to take the first steps into Europe itself.

iPLZ2.jpg

In other news the Byzantine Empire was in the process of collapsing (again), following a betrayal from its Neapolitan allies.

xX3z2.jpg

And on the other side of the world the continuing collapse of the Dutch Empire led to massive native uprisings destroying the colonies in Oceania with some even forming a nation of their own on New Zeeland.

(This surprised me because I didn’t think New Zealand was affected by native revolts that other parts of the East Indies get.)

wSlxv.jpg

The plans for further war in Africa were delayed by continued internal troubles. For some reason the people of Paragazzo were not content with my rule, so I was forced to concede some local autonomy for them to prevent a revolt.

(Getting these events would make sense if I conquered the USA or something, not so much for tiny, similar culture, Paragazzo.)

0S6xu.jpg

In preparation for incursions into Europe I began to seek diplomatic ties with the old monarchies of Europe. Bohemia was among the most pliant, as they saw the new nations as a way to weaken their Western European rivals. My son found himself a Bohemian bride to cement relations.

P8JY0.jpg

I was also able to find allies in unusual places. Japan was a rising power and managed to snatch away a small Inca enclave after they revolted from Holland. An ally in the Far East to aid in my future goals was an asset I could not ignore.

LKCpb.jpg

In late 1767 the African Expedition resumed. Sadly, Granada did not join in the war so they would have to wait.

fYcl7.jpg

Their allies abandoned them and they had learnt little from the last war, so Mali was rapidly crushed and more coastline was seized.

EpZ1e.jpg

The island of Cuba, or Tarrbitz as the Muslims called it, was the latest nation to declare desire for independence at around the same time.

(Tarrbitz is the only other unusual revolter that we’re likely to see this game. Either Cuba or Tarrbitz can appear on the island of Cuba depending on religion.)

UJyZw.jpg

Around this time religious fervour was on the rise once again thanks to the many wars against the Muslims of Africa. I let the people do what they want, despite considering myself secular.

I6PdI.jpg

As Granada had failed to honour their alliance in the last war, I had to declare war on them directly. At the time they were involved in a war with the many minor Emirs of the Iberian Peninsula so it appeared to be an easy victory. The Army of Paragazzo had been transferred to Africa so that the Africa Expedition under General Viana could take the fight directly to Granda without leaving the colonies undefended.

jjZSQ.jpg

Upon landing in Gibraltar and seizing the strategically valuable location, General Viana arrogantly let the massive Granadan army descend upon him. After all, he had beaten odds just as bad in Africa.

r9r5H.jpg

For once, our overconfidence had caught up to us. Viana was forced to retreat to the ships and fall back to Africa to deal with a massive native uprising. The Granadans had much better armaments compared to the Africans, knowledge of the terrain that let them bypass many of the fortifications of The Rock, and a skilled king forged from the many conflicts of the region. It was a humiliation, but the war was far from over.

oap1k.jpg

The Granadan navy had been crushed thanks to reinforcements from Japan, so it was simple to establish a blockade of their mainland. With their economy already exhausted from their earlier wars it began to shatter under the weight of the blockade.

qI3db.jpg

To save his kingdom, Muhammad XVI agreed to give up Gibraltar and some colonial territory. It was very small gains for the humiliation we had suffered, but I was content with them. Granada was not the ultimate goal after all. With this victory we had unlocked the Pillars of Hercules and laid the whole Mediterranean open to conquest.

To be continued…

As a bonus, here is a list of all possible colonial revolters north of Panama. South America is more boring as it’s basically only one Muslim and one Christian revolter per region:

East Coast
USA
Canada
Vinland – Scandinavian/Baltic/Finno-Urgic
Quebec – French/Gaelic/Basque
Canada – All other cultures
Gulf Coast
Florida – Iberian/Latin Christian
Louisiana – French/Gaelic/Basque non-Muslim
(else USA)
Texas – All other cultures
Barasya – Muslim
Pacific Coast
Alaska – Northern/Eastern European
Cascadia – Western/Southern European (minus Iberian)
(else Mexico/Mazula/Yingzhou)
Central America
Mexico – Christian/Pagan
Mazula – Muslim
Yingzhou – Eastern religions
UPCA – Christian
Qtizi - Muslim
Caribbean
Tarrbitz – Muslim
Cuba – Iberian/Latin Christian
Haiti – Western European Christian
Jamaica – All Christian
Antilles – Northern European Christian

great AAR. I love miscmods and my favorite part of the game is when I get to help out the colonial revolters.

The plans for further war in Africa were delayed by continued internal troubles. For some reason the people of Paragazzo were not content with my rule, so I was forced to concede some local autonomy for them to prevent a revolt.

What?! The people of Paragazzo are unhappy with a man supposedly given to freedom and liberty who promptly conquered their lands and lands in Europe and Africa whilst trampling over the freedoms of these people and declaring himself undisputed master of Brazil? Pff, they should be glad that they are members of the glorious Brazilian empire!

Good stuff this, I'm certainly subscribed. Very much liking the character of your ruler and also your humbling of European nations. I daresay Brazil has only begun in her no doubt spectacular rise.

BootOnFace: Thanks!
morningSIDEr: Indeed! Massimiliano is truly wise and benevolent, I see no reason for people to revolt against him. :p
Omen: Always glad to help advertise this mod and its features, as I’ve been playing with it since v0.1 pretty much.

Thanks for the replies! This is a pretty short update, but I’m aiming for 5-year increments and sometimes not that much happens in that time.

Chapter Six: Asian Adventure

X4iNz.jpg

While wars continued abroad, Brazil was undergoing a massive surge in cultural activities as the people celebrated their freedom. I was not one to impinge on the people’s happiness as long as they kept cheering for the Kingdom.

afqt7.jpg

Our Japanese allies were beginning to further flex their muscles. The tiny island nation of Ryukyu was not a particularly challenging target but it showed that their infighting was a thing of the past and that Japan was ready to carve out its own empire. It also gave me an idea to further expand the reach of my armies.

YeDgV.jpg

A small squadron and a handful of troops were deployed to East Asia ostensibly to assist the Japanese. Of course, the war was over by the time they arrived but that just meant they had a convenient port in Okinawa.

4m3JY.jpg

As the 20th Anniversary of the founding of nation was approaching, a new generation of skilled, purely Brazilian leaders and politicians was already emerging. I was always eager to recruit the best into my cabinet.

MJ50Z.jpg

Galeazzo Monte was a bright young man who single-handedly reorganised the army into a more efficient form, saving the kingdom a great deal of money on military expenses.

9AZ4z.jpg

Japan sought new foes and new places to exert influence. Persia was involved in a border war with the Bohemian Empire and Japan leapt at the chance to get involved. They didn’t invade but instead focused on blockading the ports of Persia and securing political and economic concessions. Perhaps the Emperor was planning to make friends with Bohemia as an ally against the nearly-reunified China.

2Lvi4.jpg

There was no need to assist in the Persian war, so the Asian Expedition could get straight to work. The target was Sulu. The Filipinos were on the retreat as France steadily seized more of the islands, so this was the perfect chance to take a proper base in Asia.

(Technically not quite true, Sulu revolted from some Reformed nation that colonised the area.)

8g0Jt.jpg

The island of Sulu from which the nation took its name was invaded and the defending fleet came out to meet mine in battle. Although the weaker transport ships suffered damage, the frigates overpowered the locals easily and drove them off, even replacing the losses. Over the course of several more naval battles the squadron took three more capital ships that would be useful for engaging other navies in the region.

o9ZaY.jpg

Sulu was taken. With territory in Africa, Asia and Europe the whole world was open to Brazil. All I had to figure out was which direction to point my men first…

To be continued…

Jstebby: 1775 as of the start of this update.
Selvetrica: Maybe later, I’ve found myself up against a much more interesting target.

Chapter Seven: To Face a Giant

Despite my eagerness to carve a world-spanning empire, Brazil was beginning to reach the limits of its capability to support an overseas empire. More manpower was needed at home to properly maintain the colonies. (OOCly, I need higher forcelimits to keep my spending from getting ridiculous and overseas territory doesn’t contribute much to that.)

dc34V.jpg

The perfect target for this was French Guyana. The region was quiet with most of the rebel leaders dealt with, and now the French had pulled out their garrison to deal with Washington’s rebels in America. There was a minor issue in that the colonists did not empathize with us as much as their cousins in our northern territory did, but careful application of guns would handle that.

(Notably, Guyana is in the primarily North American Colonialist culture group rather than the Mestizo culture group that most of Jadakal (SA) is in. I’m not sure what the logic is on that one.)

MuKCh.jpg

France had an array of minor European nations at their side, but nothing of interest. On the other hand, they were part of the Holy Roman Empire so the massive Bohemian Empire could come to their aid as well. The Bohemians were primarily based in Europe and Asia though, so they would be mostly irrelevant. Venezuela was embroiled in their own war with Europeans so they were not willing to join, but Japan was eager to get a shot at the French colonies in Hokkaido.

HsEXo.jpg

Much to my shock, not only did Bohemia not come to France’s aid but they also began funnelling mind-bogglingly large sums of money and war material into Brazil. It made a bit more sense after thinking about it. Bohemia probably saw France as the biggest threat to its dominance in Europe, and the Emperor having close marital ties with me probably helped as well.

oxAEL.jpg

The very first blood of the war was ironically in the same place as the last blood of the previous war. The coast of Sulu saw a small French patrol ambushed and wiped out by the local fleet.

klETu.jpg

Japan was doing its part by invading Hokkaido and drawing off around half of the enormous French fleet to keep them from invading the rest of the French Asian territories.

unqoA.jpg

The invasion of Guyana went off without a hitch as expected. Of course it would take far more than that to get France to give up the territory. Meanwhile, the Bohemian money was being well-spent in developing both the land and naval infrastructure of the nation so that even larger armies and fleets could be supported. Most of the harbours near Siarat were well on their way to becoming Grand Shipyards, while new Arsenals were going up close to San Vito.

7PRO8.jpg

The second half of the French fleet was spotted off the coast of Brazil harassing shipping. This was good, as it meant the bulk was accounted for and the Brazilian Fleet presently stationed in Africa could move freely to strike at isolated French territories in Europe. Ireland and parts of Iberia cut off from the French mainland were targeted by General Viana’s Africa Expedition, although it didn’t amount to much in the larger scheme of things.

C7hQQ.jpg

While Japan struck at the Philippines and drew away the French, other parts of Asia were open for the taking. Wealthy French colonies in the East Indies for example.

1cTH9.jpg

Finally the French had managed to pull together a counterattack. An army landed in Guyana to de-liberate it but the latest star of the Brazilian Army, General Timoteo de (de nothing, that’s literally all his name is), was ready to respond. The French reliance on cavalry worked against them in the jungles of Guyana and they were ultimately crushed.

22MDH.jpg

This did not dissuade the French, as this time they landed in the still developing shipyards, in either an attempt to strike at the nearby capital or cut off the reinforcements steadily bolstering my navy. I was not afraid even when a second force landed right besides Nuovo Lazio, and refused to leave the capital.

kYZ4P.jpg

The war was dragging on, but France was beginning to grow weary. Already tens of thousands of lives had been lost and each failed invasion created more resentment from the lower and middle classes who saw very little profit from the colonies in the first place. All I had to do was hold on until the upper classes were inevitably forced to listen and give up.

f7kUp.jpg

As a show of confidence, I ordered the establishment of a stock market in the capital even as French troops waited a few kilometres away. Of course, they were promptly destroyed by General Timoteo.

rtYNZ.jpg

Japan continued to prove its usefulness, picking off France’s minor allies one by one when it could reach them.

XVzdm.jpg

But it was then that disaster struck. For years the main fleet had been able to sneak around and avoid the French, but en route to deal with an uprising in Gibraltar they were finally caught and wiped out. In fact it was the rebel capture of the harbour that led to the fleet being caught off guard. In one motion the arm that let me strike back at France was gone and with Bohemia’s money pumped into the infrastructure I lacked the funds to replace it.

H1o4E.jpg

As luck would have it, Bohemia wasn’t the only nation to hate France. This war was from over.

To be continued…

ddudee: Since you asked so nicely. :p

World Update: 1779

The state of the world as of the end of Chapter Seven.

GZ9bj.jpg

South America/Jadakal has almost completely revolted, with only Chile, northern Peru and Guyana remaining under European control. Obviously I’m trying to change that.

gcWLz.jpg

In North America Mexico and Texas continue to expand, while France and Britain manage to keep the USA suppressed. In Canada, both Quebec and Canada have appeared but neither has managed to gain much ground.

3DMX1.jpg

The current map of Europe, mostly to show off the Finns beating up Scandinavia. Also of note is Novogorod on the very edge being on the verge of forming Russia.

nNhrf.jpg

France is still the richest nation despite the war exhaustion and its colonies being overrun. Brazil is doing fairly well on the charts and is the only colonial nation on there so far. That will probably change as Mexico and Texas get themselves better settled though.

MSirX.jpg

Brazil is way down on the military stats, mostly because I don’t have the forcelimits to support a larger army. France is still on top despite losing sixty thousand men in foolish invasions. My navy isn’t even worth showing after what happened. Suffice to say that France is still the largest there as well.

HvmZk.png

The world map.

ok first go TEXAS you should ally them second is that usa in northern new zeeland i cant be sure

i forgot something you should have your next ARR using the steppe wolf mod it has from the roman empire to modern day and it uses the victornian map so there is the whole world you can control

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff. Gaining Sulu should prove useful in the future. The current war with France appears quite a bloody one although I think you have things well in hand, even with the annoying loss of your fleet. I was a bit surprised by General Timoteo, the poor guy has no surname! Shocking stuff. I'm rather intrigued to find out which other nation is going to join you in your no doubt wholly justified war against France. This war waged to free the people of French Guyana from the tyranny of French rule, so that they may become instead ruled by a tyrant based in Brazil! I mean, they will be given liberty and freedom by Brazil. *cough*

I'm sorry to say that this AAR will have to be cancelled. I've run into an unavoidable crash shortly after reloading my save, which is probably because I'm using an outdated and edited version of Miscmods. It seems like I have a curse where I manage to complete only every other AAR.

HOI2: Bolivia (complete), America (incomplete), Italy (complete), Australia (incomplete)
EU3: Novgorod (incomplete), Friesland (complete), Cornwall (incomplete), Alexandria (complete), Brazil (incomplete)

Anyway, this AAR won't end as abruptly as some of the others I didn't finish. I have access to a scenario editor now, so I can at least fashion a decent epilogue.

Thank you everyone for reading. Although I wasn’t able to complete this AAR, I was able to show off the colonial mechanics so I guess I did what I set out to do.

Epilogue: Great Power

pJvd3.jpg

The fleet was rebuilt with Swiss money, and with it we were able to launch an invasion of America. The French garrison there was impressive, but defeating that was not the real goal.

WLhPH.jpg

I remained in constant contact with Washington’s successor Trudeau, the man himself having been caught and executed by the authorities a while before, and organised a massive uprising of colonials while the French army was busy dealing with our invasion. The French Empire was crumbling.

oF4CR.jpg

In Asia, Japan finished off the remaining French colonies one after another.

C2hLC.jpg

And in Europe itself, an alliance of German nations lead by Hesse and Switzerland went to war with France with full backing of Bohemia. All it would take to destroy the French nation was for this to continue, so they sued for peace at the first opportunity. By this time I was exhausted, the nation was exhausted and our allies were exhausted from years of war. A conference was called in San Vito to decide what to do with this victory.

y5LuI.jpg

Guyana, the region that started the whole conflict, was naturally granted to Brazil. I graciously allowed France to retain the rest of its Central and South America territory.

9EElc.jpg

There was much debate on what to do about North America, but President Trudeau took the initiative and declared independence before a conculsion could be reached. With its finances in shambles the French could do nothing to prevent them breaking away.

bYiX5.jpg

For its aid, Japan was given the islands it had some cultural claim to along with Taiwan.

BuaVS.jpg

Finally, in Europe, French control of Iberia was mostly broken and returned to the Muslim Beys despite protests from some of the more devout members of the alliance. France was also forced from Germany and Italy, with their vassal Aachen going to Hesse and the remainder of Savoy going to Switzerland. In all it was a humiliating defeat, and already the signs of internal discord were appearing in the French populous. Most people agreed it could only be good to see them weakened further. After all, what could a France torn apart by revolution hope to accomplish?

iyIMd.jpg

The Treaty of San Vito, as it came to be known, was a decisive moment in history. For the first time a nation of the New World stood equally with the old and shaped the course of history. Finally, Brazil could be considered amongst the Great Powers. And I was the one who brought it there. My legacy was forever secured.

-from the Memoirs of Massimiliano I

The End

Last edited: