WHAT IS THE AGC?
* "AGC" is short for "Alternative Grand Campaign".
* The AGC is one of the mods for Europa Universalis 2. Since it uses the moddir command, it will only work if you have used the 1.05 patch. Other EU2 mods can (generally) be found here.
* One thing that particularly sets the AGC apart from other EU2 mods is the configurator which is included (as of beta 2). It allows you to disable any changes you don't agree with (with the exception of bugfixes). The configurator will also be used to help "plug in" other mods, such as the Vinland fantasy scenario, into the Alternative Grand Campaign.
* The AGC development is community-driven, meaning that everyone is free to participate, that there is no single leader for the project and that the work is done in a (fairly) democratic way. There are, however, some crazy individuals who have volunteered for roles that come with more responsibility (and power!) than that of a regular AGC poster. More information can be found at the High Council.
WHERE CAN I GET IT?
You can get beta 2 of the AGC here. Please note that the beta is still in beta, however.
Beta 3 won't be released this year. I think.
WHAT SHOULD I KNOW BEFORE I PLAY THE AGC?
The AGC is designed for the 'coward' (lowest) level of AI aggression. If you pick an aggression level higher than that, don't blame ahistorical outcomes on us.
WHAT ARE THE KEY ***DIFFERENCES*** BETWEEN THE AGC AND THE EEP?
* The AGC is still in beta, while the EEP has reached the mod equivalent of "gone gold" status.
* The AGC makes use of a configurator which allows you to select which features you want to include in your games, should there be anything that you don't like.
* The AGC focuses more on conditions, while the EEP focuses more on historical characters, as far as event triggers are concerned. In effect it means that the EEP events usually have narrower timeframes but have trigger conditions that are easier met. One might say that where the EEP tries to stay close to history as it happened, the AGC is more focused on history as it could have happened.
HOW CAN I CONTRIBUTE?
This is not an elitist club; anyone is free to participate and contribute as much as he or she wants to, provided that he or she was actually born on this planet and is not an illegal alien. Platypuses aren't allowed either. The most basic level of participation is simply reading and posting in threads that you find interesting. If you want to do more, you can either start a new thread covering your preferred focus area (unless one exists already) or volunteer for a special position at the High Council (not all positions are limited to only one person). If you are looking for the design philosophies and guidelines of the project, click here. The following focus threads already exist:
I HAVE A QUESTION NOT ANSWERED IN THIS FAQ
- Russia (inc. Tatars and Caucasus)
- Africa (2)
- ___East Africa
- ___North Africa & Barbary Coast
- Papal states
- United States of America (inc. Quebec)
- Persia, Mesopotamia and Arabia
- The Knights
- Central-eastern Europe (Poland-Lithuania)
- Asia Minor
- Ottoman Empire
- Balcan states
- Pre-Columbian American states
- Fall of Hungary
- Flavour events
- The alien invasion
- Byzantium fantasy events
If you do, please post it as a reply to this thread and we'll answer it soon enough (but please keep in mind that we are real humans with real lives containing real issues, and may therefore occassionally not be able to answer right away).