• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's late 1915 and I have won WWI as France. Managed to encircle 1/4 of the german army in 1914. UK never participated since Germany left Belgium alone. Romania stayed out of the war too. Yet after the war, UK gets Kenya, Romania gets Transyvania and Austria-Hungary is bestroyed like in OTL. My thoughts: if war had ended in 1915 (or earlier than 1917) the peace terms would have been kinda different. In this TL Romania wouldn't get all of Transylvania (it's border would look like 1941 at most), if the Great Powers felt generous. Austria-Hungary would loose Galicia to Russia, Bosnia to Serbia but would probably survive as a state. Germany wouldn't loose Danzig to Russia (what for, Russia's got naval acces through it's own ports and Klaipeda). And so on. The point is: it would be nice to influence the shape of post-war europe, wouldn't you agree?

It would. I don't like the current Versailles event chain since it doesn't take into consideration ahistorical well..

It would. I don't like the current Versailles event chain since it doesn't take into consideration ahistorical well..

Would it be possible to institute something similar to the Vicky 2 "Great War - Outcome" events? Wherein the player gets to choose the territories, IE all colonial territory etc.

Yea, the current peace-events are rather static.

Would it be possible to institute something similar to the Vicky 2 "Great War - Outcome" events? Wherein the player gets to choose the territories, IE all colonial territory etc.
Sure that's doable. Though it should be introduced into DH-full directly, not into AAR. But if someone decides to rework them (and does a decent job at that), maybe they can be integrated early via AAR.

Burning: on the subject of creating a "dynamic resource system"...

I did most of the map-to-map conversion for the Vicky2 to HOI3 conversion project. They will have already some kind of conversion for a resource system from Vicky2 to HOI3... I'm sure they would let you have it for DH. Possibly have a look anyway, may be of use?

The head guy there was DasGuntLord01. I think they are now on the HOI3 site?

My own idea for this would be to relate it to either the population or the amount of provinces in a State, with adjustments for other factors.

I was confused yesterday about your mod, as I always thought it was just for taking DH from WW1 to WW2? But late yesterday, I noticed in your signature, that the mod goes all the way to 1964.

So I'm happy to join AAR, if you'll have me?
What needs doing?

I was playing with Ottoman Empire and after armistice and Sevres its talked about Independence War. After greece attack and rebellion starts and I lost. Is there not event for turn Ottoman Empire to Türkiye and keep playing?

I was playing with Ottoman Empire and after armistice and Sevres its talked about Independence War. After greece attack and rebellion starts and I lost. Is there not event for turn Ottoman Empire to Türkiye and keep playing?

No, if Nationalist movement lost the independence war, there wouldn't have been Turkey.

I am asking Will Ottoman Empire turn Türkiye while I am playing as Ottoman and I can keep playing as Türkiye or just lost the game because Ottoman Empire down?

If you win the independence war, Ottoman Empire will turn into Turkey and Mustafa Kemal will be head of state. If you lose the war, Ottoman Empire will stay and Mehmed VI will be head of state.

If you win the independence war, Ottoman Empire will turn into Turkey and Mustafa Kemal will be head of state. If you lose the war, Ottoman Empire will stay and Mehmed VI will be head of state.

Because all Anatolia uprise and I keep the Istanbul in my hand till the end and greece take out all rebels so I lost the game. What is the condition for rebels win the Independence War.

Because all Anatolia uprise and I keep the Istanbul in my hand till the end and greece take out all rebels so I lost the game. What is the condition for rebels win the Independence War.

It should be very easy to check Greek attack. Probably, they didn't join the Entente ( Vanilla issue ), so their only front with you is along the Balkans. So, few divisions should be able to stop their offensive.

Conditions for Lausanne Treaty is not to lose certain part of Anatolia until 1923. Then, you will have won the war.

It should be very easy to check Greek attack. Probably, they didn't join the Entente ( Vanilla issue ), so their only front with you is along the Balkans. So, few divisions should be able to stop their offensive.

Conditions for Lausanne Treaty is not to lose certain part of Anatolia until 1923. Then, you will have won the war.

So only keep greece out of my lands and let rebels do what they want(Because 10 division will not help to do both)

They can also attack from 12 Islands to İzmir not just from Balkans.

So only keep greece out of my lands and let rebels do what they want(Because 10 division will not help to do both)

They can also attack from 12 Islands to İzmir not just from Balkans.

Yeah, they could use that route too but AI tends to stack most of his divisions near Balkan border. A single division is more than enough to block entry from Izmir. I don't know rebels, they don't affect the outcome of Greco-Turkish War but definitely you should suppress them to secure your supply lines.

Have you guys checked your installation instructions recently?

When I extract the mod.zip file into the newly made AAR directory, all I end up with is a new folder called "version 1.4.0".

So I don't get the mod files in the correct place?

But, my question is this:

If I overwrite my ai directory , all I'll end up with is your ai files inside, and none of the game files...
.... so I need to ADD your files to the game files... and repeat for all the folders...

Am I correct? Seems a long-winded way of doing things?

If I overwrite my ai directory , all I'll end up with is your ai files inside, and none of the game files...
.... so I need to ADD your files to the game files... and repeat for all the folders...

Am I correct? Seems a long-winded way of doing things?
Seems like your archiving program is kind of strange, you need to do the following (Taken from the FAQ, see first posting):
Q: I extracted the AAR archive into a new empty folder. The game crashes when i load the mod!
A: You need to unpack the archive content on top of a copy of Darkest Hour Full (see mods directoy).

In other words:
  • patch DH to the most recent patch level (currently) version 1.02
  • create an unmodified copy of DH-full (in the mods diretory, i'll assume it's "d:\darkesthour\mods\dh-full" ), let's assume you call it "aar", thus the resulting path would "d:\darkesthour\mods\aar"
  • extract the latest AAR-archive to some folder
  • enter the folder you just extracted (i assume it's called "c:\temp\1.4.0\")
  • copy the files in there on top of "d:\darkesthour\mods\aar" (thus, "c:\temp\1.4.0\ai" goes on top of "d:\darkesthour\mods\aar\ai" and so on)
  • replace all files/folders if asked

Last edited:

I did most of the map-to-map conversion for the Vicky2 to HOI3 conversion project. They will have already some kind of conversion for a resource system from Vicky2 to HOI3... I'm sure they would let you have it for DH. Possibly have a look anyway, may be of use?

My own idea for this would be to relate it to either the population or the amount of provinces in a State, with adjustments for other factors.

I was confused yesterday about your mod, as I always thought it was just for taking DH from WW1 to WW2? But late yesterday, I noticed in your signature, that the mod goes all the way to 1964.

What needs doing?

@Burning... what's the story? see above?

What needs doing?

As it us, global resource distribution across the world is static in DH. In contrast to HOI3, we can however modify on-map resource production in DH via events. Historically, resource extraction across the world changed drastically between 1900 and 1950. Resource distribution, especially of oil and rare-materials (rubber, uranium, ...) was completely different, and even between the wars, oil was prospected all over the world. In DH, Arabia is a pretty useless area, even after WW2, but historically it became extremely important after WW2. Japan took all major powers of the world + China, simply to gain access to the vast resource deposits in the Dutch East-indies, Australia and China.

We can't really count daily resource or manpower creation, let alone trigger events on a per-province level in HOI2. Counting current IC/stockpiles/manpower would result in strange outcomes resulting in silly, completely ahistoric resource distribution. A nations with a lot of land (thus also dormant resources) but little IC(China, Brazil, ...) would receive fewer new resources than a nation with very little land but a high industrial density (eg: Germany, Japan). Ultimately, nations gambled for and occupied land, to gain a grab on to be discovered resources. Japan tried to extend it's sphere of influence in the pacific not just to gain strategic locations for bases, but to control territory and get resources from there. A nation with many empty provinces should have an easier time finding new resources, thus conquering vast, but empty lands should make sense.

Thus, we need to count the total province count a nation contains. The best thing to simulate province-counting is to count VP, that's why i experimented with having a base-VP of 1 for each and any province. This way we indeed can count provinces and on top of that add weighting to simulate strategically and economically important locations. This way, a nation can conquer not territory simply to rise its VP count. Next, we can make resource-giving-events, which trigger based on VP count more often. Thus, a vast empty nation would receive more on-map resource-production, even though it has VERY little industry. On the other hand, even if a nation with high IC but very little and has rather high VP-count it's provinces, it would have a harder time finding locating resources.

Nations like Germany or Japan would receive more resource events due to the high VP value of mainly of their provinces, even if they hold fewer territory. Thus it would really make sense for to conquer land, as they historically did. Think of the Treaty of Brest-Litowsk: currently it's a rather bad trade-off for Imperial Germany, as it gets MANY provinces with little IC and bad infrastructure. As a player i would ALWAYS try to push for the north and try conquering Moskva, the Baltic, Belarus and the rest of the soviet industrial heartland, which concentrates few provinces with high IC and resource production.

With a province count based system however, brest-litowsk really starts making A LOT of sense: you get some IC and resources, and raise your nations chances to discover new resources in provinces A LOT, as you have just DOUBLED Germany's provinces count. Overall, you will increase Germany's VP count about about 50%, which can make it much more likely for them to gain new onmap-resource production. If Germany defeats France, it gets many provinces in Africa. Same applied to Austria-Hungary, which will try to conquer low IC-areas like Serbia and Albania. Italy's WW2-desires for northern Africa, Greece and the Balkans also finally make sense gameplay wise. For Japan the domination of China AND the pacific islands, which all either contain NO ic at all or very little, also becomes really worthwhile.

So, now this posting has become much longer than i intended in the first place. This is what i think what we should aim for, and i think it's really worthwhile. It's doable within the restrictions of the trigger model currently implemented by DH and should be relatively easy to code. Other factors, like the likelihood of finding various resources most commonly in certain areas or on specific continents (rares in Africa and South America, oil in Russia, Central America and Indonesia, coal in Germany, metal in Sweden, ...) can be added as well. Resource-shortages could be used to raise chances of discovering a certain type of resource, while full-stockpiles could lower it. Nations with centrally-planned economies could have more control over what resources are to be prospected than fully market-demand oriented nations. Liberal economies on the other hand would have lower costs for prospecting and tapping resource-deposits, as mines and wells are mainly operated by independent corporations.

Sure, this model requires a LOT of balancing and careful tuning, but that can be done. Also, it's sufficient to balance the system to produce good results over the course of a decade or maybe two decades, which is absolutely doable. No nation should receive massive amounts of resources, but certain nations definitely will perform better over time than others (eg: Japan vs Russia). Japan has very little domestic resources today, and had the same issue even a century ago, too. Pre-ww1 Russia in contrast produced/exported/exploitet way less resources than post-ww2 USSR, and look at who is supplying the world with resources today...

Last edited:
I just HAD to reserve posting #1337 in this thread for myself ;-)
Sorry for the double-post.

@Burning... what's the story? see above?
Sure thing, your help your be greatly appreciated! As the economics, research and diplomatic part essentially is the same for interwar and post-ww2, your work would be VERY valuable, and we'd be happy to have you aboard! Welcome!

Last edited:
Hello does anyone know why the Soviet Union is gone from the comintern after they have peace with germany in 1918 and how to get them back there

First, the USSR needs to be saved from the civil war. You need to crush the subversive elements, to even have a bit of foreign acceptance. Then, you can work on your foreign politics and sign treaties with Turkey and Weimar Germany during the 1920's. Once Lenin is shot and Stalin comes into power, you will get the option to either create "Permanent World Revolution" or the historical "Communism In A State". Sooner or later the International Communist Movement will then be reestablished (Comintern).

In short: you can reestablish it during the 1920s and early 1930s, once the civil war is over.