• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would just like to add a small post about gameplay...the game runs fine and i do like that new events and everything...
The disarment works fine to...but it does not prohibit to build destroyers on a navy limit for nation(150)....so USA got 500+ destroyers in 1928,France like 300+, etc....

It prohibits to build all ships except DDs(only ones who are in a HUGE number)....so maybe fix this?
Also Soviets are massively building IC so in 1930s they have 400+ and around 300+ inf divs(which is fine by me)

Anyway its fun to play your mod and i look forward for further updates.

Hey there!

Initially, i created AAR without a license, or rather: a joke license (Beerware). Recently, I was notified of a legal issue regarding stuff contributed to AAR (and would have caused a lawsuite), and content potentially being owned by Paradox via me, which would have been a legal issue, but is not.). Thus, i was forced to investigate into putting AAR under a "real" license, to avoid future legal issues. I hate all this legal-stuff, but it needs to be done to prevent any future issues, also with wikipedia-text, contributors or merger-mods.

For those who are interested, and might know the issue: The Paradox-Forum License(all stuff you post in the forums becomes property of Paradox) only covers content posted on the forums, it does not apply to the actual AAR-Mod because this Mod, the Site and Repository are located in Germany and Austria (thus, no content quietly changes ownership, so "your" rights are not in danger...). Besides that, AAR never was (and must never be) posted in the forums directly, but only as link to the AAR-Website. The forum just contains images and links to the AAR website. Here foreign language licenses like the Paradox-License are invalid by nature and also need to be available in German to be legally binding.

As more and more people are becoming in involved into AAR, it is very important to put AAR under a copyleft license. Usually i would put a project under GPLv2 or later, but this would be a problem for putting AAR into DH.

Thus, I'm thinking about using the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (copyleft, worldwide validity, legally binding localized license version, use/modify with naming the creator(s)).

This is a very liberal license, which is also used widely by many OSS-projects. Also, it's compatible with the text and event-data used in the mod, which is largely taken off Wikipedia. Noncommercial is important in this case, as it basically prevents AAR to be sold without consent, allowing direct commercial use would also break the Wikipedia-TOS. Wikipedia uses this license, which eliminates all potential hazards with using their translations.

So, if you are REALLY interested in the legal stuff:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Damn, so i spent half a day now, reading legal shit, ... great ... It would be especially important for me to know from you, Limith, if you consent with this, as you seem to have become my "Enterprise-D's Commander Riker". ;-)

This is just a notifier, please DO NOT comment on this issue in the forums, but on the AAR site. Any discussion on this topic in the forums WILL be ignored. This is not the place to discuss legal issues, please do so at the AAR site:

http://aarmod.cfuchs.net/ticket/159 - This is a ticket i created for discussion of the topic, I'd appreciate input by everyone involved into AAR (current and former contributors and us two devs).

Oh: I'm sorry to occupy your time with this, but it IS important, and I don't want to do this arbitrarily.

Last edited:
I would just like to add a small post about gameplay...the game runs fine and i do like that new events and everything...
The disarment works fine to...but it does not prohibit to build destroyers on a navy limit for nation(150)....so USA got 500+ destroyers in 1928,France like 300+, etc....

It prohibits to build all ships except DDs(only ones who are in a HUGE number)....so maybe fix this?
Also Soviets are massively building IC so in 1930s they have 400+ and around 300+ inf divs(which is fine by me)

Anyway its fun to play your mod and i look forward for further updates.

:)
Oh, i KNEW i forgot to fix a backdoor! I'll add a very relaxed limit for destroyers in the next version. Do you think 150/100/75/50 at peactime/until 1933 for nations with 250+/200+/150+/75+ IC would be reasonable? Does this seem like a reasonable number?

I don't know if it's a bug...but there is unusually high consumer goods number for Germany (played on save 1918). It's around 100 and it takes more than half of Germany's IC

Shouldn't you guys use several threads to make your work clearer? (like AAR - Ministers, AAR - Events, etc) You can use a one-post-thread to sum up all the threads, which I will sticky.
Then after a few weeks I will ask for you guys to get a proper subforum.

Great! Indeed, you are right, it's getting way too crowded in here, we create about 1-2 pages per day... i can't keep track of things in here anymore.
I've created a few threads for General Discussion, Technical Support and Bug Reporting that should be used instead of this one.

Last edited:
Great! Indeed, you are right, it's getting way too crowded in here, we create about 1-2 pages per day... i can't keep track of things in here anymore.
I've created a few threads for General Discussion, Technical Support and Bug Reporting that should be used instead of this one.
Nice.
Please also open a thread which lists all your threads. I will close/sticky it.

Nice.
Please also open a thread which lists all your threads. I will close/sticky it.

Would it be OK to use this thread(frontpage) for that? Or would you like a clean thread ONLY containing links to the AAR threads?

:)
Oh, i KNEW i forgot to fix a backdoor! I'll add a very relaxed limit for destroyers in the next version. Do you think 150/100/75/50 at peactime/until 1933 for nations with 250+/200+/150+/75+ IC would be reasonable? Does this seem like a reasonable number?

I see now...;).

Well i would like to see some limit for a whole navy i guess not just limits for destroyers only...since all nations(except SU) cant build IC proper, or planes,land-units they tend to build navy units....a lot.
It ruins the game...i guess USA could have like 100-150 DDs max but i would rather mix it with other ships too...
(150 total units pre-WW2 should be a max)

It just looks funny seeing USA having 200+ DDs and 15BBs...
So i think having one BIG limit for a whole navy would be good same as a limit for air,land..

And by that force USA,France,UK build IC even that it takes long time to build...as it should be. ;)

AAR General Discussion:
What this thread is NOT meant for:
* questions regarding technical issues
* questions regarding features of the mod ("I can't build 200 battleships as Weimar Germany, why?")
* balancing issues
* bug reports
* announcements
Annoucement: We get way too much spam on our trac in the spam filter logs (like...20+ each day, bug reports are not spam in case this gets misconstrued since I have a tendency to misword things, they are marked "Ham" by trac ;) ). Is there a way to perm ban IPs? What exactly is the log for? Does it help the typepad thing learn what is spam and what is not?

Annoucement: We get way too much spam on our trac in the spam filter logs (like...20+ each day, bug reports are not spam in case this gets misconstrued since I have a tendency to misword things, they are marked "Ham" by trac ;) ). Is there a way to perm ban IPs? What exactly is the log for? Does it help the typepad thing learn what is spam and what is not?

Marking things as Ham (Falsly as Spam classified reports) is important, because it helps train the spamfilter. Marking things as Spam that were not strongly marked as Spam is also a good thing to do. Banning IPs doesn't really work, as most spambots are some malware infected computers running somewhere around the world. Basically, ticketing systems and forums do have the same issue as everyone with email... stupid marketing people will still try posting their bulk stuff.

Edit: I've now also enabled Akismet, which will now be used to identify spam in conjunction with Typepad and ReCaptcha.

Last edited:
Sigh,how do I

.."unpack the contents of the most recent version of the AAR-mod, and overwrite the folder you just copied."

when what unpacking the zip file does, is put the files under a directory "version 1.0.4" ?

Hate to ask such a noob question but TBH I also don't like it that there are irrelevant directories in zip files.

Go to Darkest Hour/Mods/
Select Darkest Hour Full
Right Click->Copy
Deselect Darkest Hour Full
Right Click->Paste
Select Copy of Darkest Hour Full
Right Click->Rename
Type AAR
Deselect AAR
Download AAR 1.4.0
Extract AAR 1.4.0 in Darkest Hour/Mods
Go into Version 1.4.0 folder
Copy all of the files inside (db, config, scenarios, etc)
Go back to Darkest Hour/Mods
Go into AAR folder
Right click -> paste
say yes to overwriting, "do this for the next XX conflicts"

Slight problem on my side.

When playing as Britain I got the "Commonwealth event". After releasing puppetry of Canada they immediately leave the Allies. I haven't gotten to the war yet but still this is quite un-nerving.

At the very start UK isn't part of the allies I believe. When it all kicks off and you declare war on germany, then you join. So there would be no reason for you and Canada to still be allied, the only thing keeping you together is the puppetry aspect lol. At least thats my understanding of your problem.

We'll take a look at 1936 scenario start issues soon, I already know at least 2 issues there (Little entente not collapsing and this)

1.4.1 should be out very soon.

#130, #148 #156 are minor db issues, #158 I already know a probable solution, #159 is technical. That leaves 3/22 tickets remaining with no easy solution.

If anyone wants to volunteer for 1.4.1 testing, would be appreciated (unless Burning wants to test it).

At the very start UK isn't part of the allies I believe. When it all kicks off and you declare war on germany, then you join. So there would be no reason for you and Canada to still be allied, the only thing keeping you together is the puppetry aspect lol. At least thats my understanding of your problem.

I'm playing from 1918 save so Britian gets the "Britain Stays The Course" event and forms, and leads the Allies in the early to mid 20's.