• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

enf91

General
81 Badges
Nov 20, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
There are a few modifications I've made that I'd like to see for a new patch or even for AHD (since I know a lot of effort is going into it).

1. POP reforms. Currently, no POPs will ever support extending political party reforms (harassment, gerrymandering, etc.). From all POP files,
Code:
 gerrymandering = {
		factor = 2
		modifier = {
			factor = 0
			OR = {
				vote_franschise = none_voting
				NOT = { consciousness = 6 }
				NOT = {
					is_next_reform = non_secret_ballots
				}
				luxury_needs =  1.0
			}
		}
As you can see, the code currently has it that POPs won't support gerrymandering unless the country policy is already gerrymandering. This is true for all stages of this reform.

2. Gold rushes. In the base code, gold being found in a province does not trigger the "gold_rush" province modifier except for the Witwatersrand gold rush and the one discovered by Custer's expedition. Admittedly, much of the population movement was temporary, as many people left when there was no more gold to be found. In this game, however, that isn't an issue.

3. RP-giving events. "Liberty Shines!", "Horace Mann", and other events give RPs. 4 of them. That is a rather insignificant effect. Suggested fix: change "research_points = 4" to "years_of_research = x".

4. A Boer Trek that actually works. Currently, that moves no one from British South Africa to Transvaal or Oranje. Suggested fix: just move the POPs directly.
Code:
 ENG = {
				any_pop = {
					limit = {
						has_pop_culture = boer
						consciousness = 6
					}
					move_pop = 2101 (for ORA, 2105 for TRA)
				}
			}

5. Trail of Tears. As currently written, it moves Cherokee POPs from Oklahoma City to Talequah. Since the point of the ToT was to move the Cherokee west of the Mississippi River, POPs that are already there shouldn't be affected. Suggested fix: add 2 lines to the file:
Code:
 NOT = {
						location = {
							OR = {
								province_id = 130
								province_id = 129
								province_id = 131
							}
						}
					}

6. Garibaldi's Redshirts. Currently, they ask SAR or an Italian GP to lead unification. However, SAR almost always gets this event (when the Redshirts stick around long enough to take over a country). Suggested fix:
Code:
 OR = {
					is_greater_power = yes
					AND = {
						tag = SAR
						OR = {
							is_greater_power = yes
							is_secondary_power = yes
						}
					}
				}
Now SAR has to be important to get this event. If Two Sicilies gets its act together and SAR falters, TS will lead.

7. Rebels. When MIL reduction on rising was 2, we got rebels constantly. Now that it's 3, we get rebels that rise, stick around for 2 weeks, and go away. Suggested fix: change the MIL reduction mechanic so that MIL is not affected until the rebellion is over.

(I also added some events to force the ENG AI to release CAN, AST, and NZL).

Agreed with the Boer Trek and ToT changes, and especially the weak rebels complaint. I never even bother crushing rebels anymore until they're around 50% province occupation, because most of them are just going to get bored and go home, and I don't want to kill my own productive people if I don't really need to.

Are you playing with mods? Because a lot of things you say aren't working actually are.

1. You're wrong here. I've gotten events that make 40% of your population support the next level in political party reforms, and it works. Just yesterday I had 40% of my population in favor of secret ballots when I had non-secret ballots. This has happened with every official release since at least the 1.3 betas.

3. The RP-giving events give more RP the later they fire. I get RP-generating events that give 1000 or more in the late game. This has been true since at least 1.2. Granted, I'm not familiar with the specific events that you bring up, so it's possible that those events are bugged and things like Discriminatory Schools are not.

I do like many of these.

I'd also like to see assimilation tweaked just a little bit. So it has its current level based on percentage and stuff + a base minimum assimilation of like 5 or something so non accepted POP's are -always- assimilating on some level.

This would also fix the issue where POP's assimilate down to 3-400 and then just sit there because the percentages can't assimilate them further, yet they haven't dropped low enough (<100) for the 'POP-killer' to auto-assimilate the whole POP.

Alternatively, (or in conjunction with this?) the auto-assimilate level to reduce the number of POP's could be raised to ~3-400...

The Garibaldi red shirt-event has always bothered me. Good suggestion!

Edit: I would like some of that nice flavour from EU3 too. Renaming provinces, more logic in the country names on the map (f.e no more ottoman asia) and most important, better coloring of the map.
I know everyone was screaming about Prussia being yellow but I don't really care about that. What bugs me is that you can have four or maybe even five green countries bordering each other (Austria-Hungary, OE, Russia, Italy/TS and Portugal).
Making Austria-Hungary white and maybe change the coloring of Russia a bit can help this a lot. It would be nice if the map had a little more contrast for that extra crisp.
It would also be nice if France had a more dark tealish color since it's really hard to tell the difference between USA, France and Sweden when they scramble for Africa.
I remember Paradox changed Austria from red to white in the earliest days of EU3 so maybe they can hear our thoughts even this time. :)

I also miss the option to trade provinces from Vicky1.

Last edited:
Agreed with the Boer Trek and ToT changes, and especially the weak rebels complaint. I never even bother crushing rebels anymore until they're around 50% province occupation, because most of them are just going to get bored and go home, and I don't want to kill my own productive people if I don't really need to.

Are you playing with mods? Because a lot of things you say aren't working actually are.

1. You're wrong here. I've gotten events that make 40% of your population support the next level in political party reforms, and it works. Just yesterday I had 40% of my population in favor of secret ballots when I had non-secret ballots. This has happened with every official release since at least the 1.3 betas.

3. The RP-giving events give more RP the later they fire. I get RP-generating events that give 1000 or more in the late game. This has been true since at least 1.2. Granted, I'm not familiar with the specific events that you bring up, so it's possible that those events are bugged and things like Discriminatory Schools are not.

Yeah, but that's event-based support. I'm talking about POPs supporting reforms on their own initiative.

Yes, Discriminatory Schools does give RPs relative to daily gain. But some events, including the two I mentioned, don't. While I could (and did) edit the file in previous versions, the 1.4 beta crashes whenever I try.

@Legions of Rome: attaching here. It's both the event file and the localization, but I'm still not sure the localization works. English only.

Attachments

• british_commonwealth.rar
    6,4 KB · Views: 49
By the way, I think the Garibaldi-event is fixed in 1.4b?
The event fired tonight when playing Two Sicilies. Me being the most powerful state in Italy ended up with all the good jazz. :)

I like the change to the Garibaldi Redshirts, It annoyed me especially when the Two Sicilies was already a Great Power and Sardinia had been beaten soundly by many other nations before. But I have a question: where does the code have to go exactly? I am assuming Event ID 11103, but where in there?

6. Garibaldi's Redshirts. Currently, they ask SAR or an Italian GP to lead unification. However, SAR almost always gets this event (when the Redshirts stick around long enough to take over a country).
Now SAR has to be important to get this event. If Two Sicilies gets its act together and SAR falters, TS will lead.

As I currently have it:

Code:
 #Italian Red Shirt Unification
country_event = {
	title = "EVTNAME11103"
	desc = "EVTDESC11103"
	picture = "Celebration"

id = 11103

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {				# Accept inheritance
		name = "EVTOPTA11103"
		change_tag = culture
		add_accepted_culture = north_italian
		add_accepted_culture = south_italian
		any_country = {
			limit = {
				NOT = {
					tag = THIS
					tag = PAP
				}
				is_culture_group = THIS
				is_greater_power = no
				num_of_cities = 1
			}
			country_event = 11101
		}
		prestige = 10
		ai_chance = {
			factor = 95
		}
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB11103"
		prestige = 5
		set_country_flag = does_not_want_to_be_unified
		ai_chance = {
			factor = 5
		}
		any_pop = {
			militancy = 2
		}
	}
}

to give a bit more information: the Garibaldi rebels have taken over Rome (Papal states, = PAP) and the Two Sicilies is a GP, has sphered every other Italian minor including S-P, and yet the Garibaldi rebels unite Italy under the leadership of Sardinia-Piemonte (which is a one state minor), and not under the leadership of the Two Sicilies.

Last edited:
2 changes I would like to see in regards to tariffs.

1) The ability to set different tariff rates for each product.

2) Give protective tariffs an actual protective effect. For any product with a tariff, consumers pay the tariff regardless of whether they buy the good from the home or world market. However, in regards to goods purchased on the home market, the tariff payments go to the suppliers instead of the govrernment. (Reflecting how protected domestic industries will charge more for their products since they are shielded by a tariff wall.) Naturally, it would apply in reverse in regards to import subsidies (which would force domestic producers to drop their prices by the amount of the subsidies in order to stay competitive with subsidized foreign competition.)

I like the change to the Garibaldi Redshirts, It annoyed me especially when the Two Sicilies was already a Great Power and Sardinia had been beaten soundly by many other nations before. But I have a question: where does the code have to go exactly? I am assuming Event ID 11103, but where in there?

As I currently have it:

Code:
 #Italian Red Shirt Unification
country_event = {
	title = "EVTNAME11103"
	desc = "EVTDESC11103"
	picture = "Celebration"

id = 11103

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {				# Accept inheritance
		name = "EVTOPTA11103"
		change_tag = culture
		add_accepted_culture = north_italian
		add_accepted_culture = south_italian
		any_country = {
			limit = {
				NOT = {
					tag = THIS
					tag = PAP
				}
				is_culture_group = THIS
				is_greater_power = no
				num_of_cities = 1
			}
			country_event = 11101
		}
		prestige = 10
		ai_chance = {
			factor = 95
		}
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB11103"
		prestige = 5
		set_country_flag = does_not_want_to_be_unified
		ai_chance = {
			factor = 5
		}
		any_pop = {
			militancy = 2
		}
	}
}

to give a bit more information: the Garibaldi rebels have taken over Rome (Papal states, = PAP) and the Two Sicilies is a GP, has sphered every other Italian minor including S-P, and yet the Garibaldi rebels unite Italy under the leadership of Sardinia-Piemonte (which is a one state minor), and not under the leadership of the Two Sicilies.

It's not here. It's in the common\rebel_types.txt file. In the "demands_enforced_effect = {" line, change:
Code:
OR = {
is_greater_power = yes
tag = SAR
to:
Code:
OR = {
is_greater_power = yes
AND = {
tag = SAR
is_secondary_power = yes
}
}
This will let any Italian GP or a secondary power SAR form Italy. So if SAR is rank 50 or something, it won't form Italy. The one problem is if there is no Italian GP and SAR isn't a SP, in which case the Redshirts will be wasted. There is a way to fix this, but it would make the file even more complicated. You would have to put it another "OR = {" around the country stuff and include a caveat for not having an Italian GP. It would go:
Code:
demands_enforced_effect = {
		random_country = {
			limit = {
				is_culture_group = THIS
				OR = {
                                        OR = {
					         is_greater_power = yes
					         AND = { 
                                                        tag = SAR 
                                                        is_secondary_power = yes }
				               }
AND = {
  tag = SAR
   NOT = {
 any_country = {
    limit = {
         is_culture_group = THIS
    }
     OR = {
             is_greater_power = yes
             is_secondary_power = yes
      }
    }
}
}
				NOT = {
					is_cultural_union = yes
					has_country_flag = does_not_want_to_be_unified
				}
			}
			country_event = 11103
		}
	}
I'm not sure this code would work, as it is very complex.

I would like some kind of ability to slightly control the AI. Just simple things like dont get this province, or protect this nation. I tried messing with the things in the savegame, the threat, befriend, protect, antagonize vales, even setting them to 9000 the ai doesnt always do it. Pretty hard to get ww1 started... the conquer_prov thing also is strange, i deleted all the provinces in china from it and the countries still attack china...

and if thats not possible just make it so that countries can be added to already existing wars by event, and so that there is an option that you can join a war on your allies side, like intervening, except they dont have to be in your sphere, just allied.

I would like to see Patriot type rebels who if A province has a core of another nation and there are pops who are the Primary or accepted culture of core of the nation which exists but doesn't own this province and the pops aren't accepted/primary of the owning nation then they can try and revolt to join the nation whose core is on there land.

I would like to see Patriot type rebels who if A province has a core of another nation and there are pops who are the Primary or accepted culture of core of the nation which exists but doesn't own this province and the pops aren't accepted/primary of the owning nation then they can try and revolt to join the nation whose core is on there land.

I actually wrote code for such rebels. Never tried it, though, and I have no delusions about my ability.

One thing that I really miss currently is the ability to set assimilation destination of pops.

The problem for instance is that african immigrants to the USA will assimilate to yankees instead of afro-americans. French-immigrant assimilating to english speaking canadians etc. Another place the problem show itself is in provinces without the primary culture, where pops will assimilate to the secondary culture leading to really odd situations, like irish people in Ireland assimilating to canadians.

To solve these problems I suggest being able to set an assimilation-destination on pops instead of hard-coding primary-culture or present secondary-culture. The assimilation-culture could be set by a non-logged event, or like an effect of the emigration. The important part is being able to set the assimilation-destination based on source-culture, primary-culture and province, but having access to normal triggers like presence of similar cultures could be very useful as well

A more complicated solution could be to let the current assimilation factors allow destination-culture triggers, but this could mean one pop assimilating to several different destination if multiple triggers are satisfied. I personally think it will be simpler to control if each pop only have one assimilation destination.

The vanilla game could use this for a few limited cases (like afro-americans and french-canadians), but for mods this will be a power-tool that will enable all kinds of cultural shifts, development of pan-cultures or multi-step assimilation (english -> anglo-american -> yankee).

Bug-fix and modding power-tool in one!

Yeah, I really want the ability to have immigrant pops settling in the South to convert to Dixie or Texan instead of Yankee, and for Yankee pops that relocate to the South to convert as well, and vice-versa

An interesting idea would be to make the ability to build railroads in a province dependent on life rating. It is a bit absurd to see integrated railroads in every African province before 1900. So, in provinces with low life ratings, railroads can only be built up to a certain level.

Something I always think tends to be missing in Paradox games especially lately with the move that "removing determinism means you don't get nice events to read, you have to look at spreadsheets"(or atleast that's what it can feel like sometimes in Victoria II) is good sense of 'immersion'. Seeing an icon light up and then looking at an entry in a huge table and reading the tool tips is ok but wouldn't it be lovely to have a nice descriptive and flavourfull event if applicable? I also tend to feel a little sense of isolation from the rest of the world. Seeing France covered in communist revolutionaries isn't something I should accidently notice when scrolling across the map or get a little notification that they have enforced their demands after the fact. Similarly there are some inventions that being the first to discover gives a huge prestige bonus, like romanticist art, if its such a big deal it'd be nice to get a little notification when it's first discovered like you can do when a country discovers or enables a new ideology. Another thing that could be nice is a sort of war correspondant so if the GPs/SPs are at war and there is a particularly decisive or remarkable battle you can know about it. Things like this would really help integrate and flesh out the world and make it feel less like a load of coloured numbers, so to speak.

Also;
SPIES

Something I always think tends to be missing in Paradox games especially lately with the move that "removing determinism means you don't get nice events to read, you have to look at spreadsheets"(or atleast that's what it can feel like sometimes in Victoria II) is good sense of 'immersion'. Seeing an icon light up and then looking at an entry in a huge table and reading the tool tips is ok but wouldn't it be lovely to have a nice descriptive and flavourfull event if applicable? I also tend to feel a little sense of isolation from the rest of the world. Seeing France covered in communist revolutionaries isn't something I should accidently notice when scrolling across the map or get a little notification that they have enforced their demands after the fact.

Personally, I agree with this. It would be nice if there were some method to make events, and revolutions in particular, more dramatic.