• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ConjurerDragon

Generalissimus
79 Badges
Apr 19, 2005
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Impire
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • East India Company Collection
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
I started my first grand campaign as Britan and a while after reaching Aceh with my first ship I got 5 galleons from the crown to conquer a port in India within 3 years. So I immediately clicked attack port and selected Calcutta as destination - however when the galleons were only next to Madagaskar the fleet was disbanded because the time was up.

When I tried a new grand campaign as Portugal (Lisboa is after all closer to India) and got the 5 galleons again, this time I did not go for Calcutta but for Cochin - the closest indian port. This time the galleons disbanded right in sight of Cochin because the time was up as the game stated - in 9/1603.

Do I miss something here? How am I supposed to conquer a port with the leant galleons when they can´t reach their target in time? Or is there an error in the mission that gives not enough time to reach India? If so how could that be changed?

Edit: Tried it again as Portugal. When I received the 5 galleons in 10/1600 I immeditaly gave them orders to attack Cochin and in 10/1603 the fleet was disbanded because I failed to capture an indian port - with the fleet just in sight of Cochin...
If galleons with a speed of 8 are not able to reach indian ports in 3 years what´s wrong here?

Edit:
Seems I´m not the only one having that problem
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ochin-in-time-by-swapping-in-a-faster-captain.
But the solution certainly can´t be to have to train up a captain only to have a chance to fulfill that mission without being told by the game that a normal captain can´t reach India in time with galleons?

Last edited:
Problem solved for Portugal: I did not want to need out-of-the-game knowledge to be able to capture an indian port with those galleons - so training a cutter captain and giving him the +20% speed skill and then exchanging him with the captain that came with the galleons, to be able to reach India in time with the speed 8 galleon fleet was no proper way for me. How should someone know ingame that the time-limit of 3 years is too short to reach India?

So the proper solution can only be either to raise the time limit of the mission or to change the ships statistics. I have no idea how to to change the "Capture a port in India" mission so I experimented with the ships statistics.

Raising the speed of galleons for the whole game to be more than 8 would have made them too good for the whole game.

So I tried to change their distance setting/sailing range. With a modified setting of 3000 the fleet of galleons (when starting from Lisboa, Portugal) will be able to reach Cochin (the nearest indian port) within the 3-years-deadline given by the mission - because they need one port-stop less.

And it´s more in line with real ships as larger ships can carry more supplies to stay on sea for longer periods of time.
For comparison the spanish trade route between Manila in the Philippines and Acapulco in Mexico was serviced by galleons
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distanceresult.html?p1=145&p2=154
and as far as I read on WIKI they had only 2 stops between on Guam and in California so using nautical miles 3000 is not too far fetched for galleons.

Open shiptypes.txt with an editor.
Search galleon entry:
Code:
galleon	
	{
		// name from locale
		type = str_SHIP_TYPE_GALLEON

unit = uSHIP_galleon

part1 = pSH_ga01

warship = 1

speed_strategic = 0.05
		speed_tactical = 0.75
		maximum_speed = 8

hitpoints_hull = 700
		hitpoints_sails = 700
		hitpoints_cannons = 18

crew_max = 120
		crew_min = 20

cannoncrew_size = 3

price = 75000
		unlockPrice = 150000
		repairPrice = 10

repairHullPrice = 26
		repairSailPrice = 9
		repairCannonPrice = 200

ammoPrice = 20
		crewPrice = 10
		marinePrice = 20

buildTime = 6

cargo_space = 100

cannon_range = 1100
		cannons_max = 18
		cannon_type = 2

solid_max = 180
		grape_max = 90
		chain_max = 90
		fire_max = 90

visibility_range = 1000

sailing_range = [color=yellow]3000[/color]

shipyard_min = 3

available_from = 1600

hull_low = -4.9
		hull_high = 9.0
		sail_low = 10.5
		sail_high = 60

draft_min = -2.0
		draft_max = 2.0

sail_speed = 0.6
		bank_speed = 0.025

arcade_turn_speed = 0.015
		arcade_rudder_max = 22.0

normal_turn_speed = 0.015
		normal_rudder_max = 19.0

simulation_turn_speed = 0.013
		simulation_rudder_max = 15.0

rudder_speed = 0.06
		rudder_damp = 0.03

weight = 10000
		construction_time = 8
		sail_damage_scale  = 1.0

}

Edit: 3000 is o.k. for Portugal to reach Cochin (closest european capital to closest indian port).
But it´s not enough for the distance from London to Bombay.
So for other european nations either the maxrange setting must be even higher or someone has to know how to edit the mission deadline for that mission...

Edit: Perhaps a higher speed for galleons would not be unrealistic. Even on the first journey ever to India Cabral needed only 1 year and 3 months to get there and back
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_Portuguese_India_Armada_(Cabral,_1500)#Outward_Journey

Edit: 8.5 is not enough for galleons from London to Bombay. The estimation of travel time is way off - when I click the captain of the galleons the ETA is 12 month. And stays so for 3 month while the galleons crawl towards bombay...

Last edited:
I edited the galleons speed in /data/ai/shiptypes.txt from 8 to 9.5.
But they still don´t arrive in time and fail at the same distance on the London-Bombay route.
When I look at the captains picture it even tells that the fleet is moving at 8 instead of the higher value (and I did start a new game so they can´t be slowed by the game using the new value only on new galleons).

Am I missing something here? Are the ships speed values stored somewhere else?

I've completed the 'capture an Indian port' mission before playing as Sweden, so I can't see where the problem is with the galleon speed. Is it possible you were doing other things and missed when the message 1st showed up by a few months? I've had that happen to me with other events many times.

I've completed the 'capture an Indian port' mission before playing as Sweden, so I can't see where the problem is with the galleon speed. Is it possible you were doing other things and missed when the message 1st showed up by a few months? I've had that happen to me with other events many times.

No. As I wrote above I got the galleons 9/1600 and they left 9/1603 so I had them the full 3 years announced. And they took the full 3 years sailing towards Cochin, Goa or Bombay dependin as which company I tried to get them to reach India.

Göteborg should be farther away than either Lisboa or London. Did the galleons in your game reach India faster? How long did it take to reach which port?

Göteborg should be farther away than either Lisboa or London. Did the galleons in your game reach India faster? How long did it take to reach which port?

Yes, it is the furthest away, which is why I used it as the example. I think I've played through as every company in the game (got it when it 1st came out) and never had that mission be a problem. I am mid- campaign now as Netherlands and captured Goa with those galleons and their original captain. I've never timed exactly how long them took to get to India from any given European port.

I wish I coud be more help, but I'm at a loss as to what could be happening in your games. And as you can see, this subforum is pretty well dead.

Yes, it is the furthest away, which is why I used it as the example. I think I've played through as every company in the game (got it when it 1st came out) and never had that mission be a problem. I am mid- campaign now as Netherlands and captured Goa with those galleons and their original captain. I've never timed exactly how long them took to get to India from any given European port.

I wish I coud be more help, but I'm at a loss as to what could be happening in your games. And as you can see, this subforum is pretty well dead.

I´m going to restart the campaigin anyway. I have just replaced my painfully slow Geforce FX 5200 card with a cheap Geforce 6200 card.
Before even on the lowest graphics setting it did run painfully sluggish (after every mouse-click I could count to 3 before anything happened!).
Now it runs faster than before on the highest graphical detail level :)

Edit: And suddenly the galleons move faster. Not only displayed faster but faster in gametime.
Before the always took the whole 3 years to reach India from Portugal to Goa. Now with the faster graphics card they need only 2 years from England to Bombay...

Last edited: