Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cunning AI and my arrogance creates colonial disaster

Quote Originally Posted by McNaughton View Post
    Ah MacMahon, unfortunately his reckless nature will put him in trouble more often than you would want. Bosquet is much better suited, as not only are his stats better, but his abilities will not get him into much trouble! If possible, send along a 3* leader to sit in the rear areas, but if activated that turn, will provide all theatre commanders (Bosquet notably) with additional bonus'. If they are still around, the following 3* Generals would be good to send over to provide offensive support...

Jean-Isidore Harispe (His CinC Aggressive Ability will provide +1 Strategic and +1 Assault to your stack leaders, bringing up Bosquet from a 4-4-1 to a 5-5-1 if Harispe is active)
    Adolphe Niel (His CinC Genius Ability will provide +1 Strategic and +1 Initiative, plus frontage bonuses, bringing up Bosquet from a 4-4-1 to a 5-4-1 if Neil is active)

However, both have short windows of activity and there is a good chance that Harispe is already retired, and Neil is still a 2* general. Unfortunately, at this time the rest of the French high command is not too spectacular.
    Excellent advice. But in my game, Bosquet was promoted to a three star leader, because of his brilliant leadership during a previous was with Belgium. His other stats also went up. Yet another thing I love about this game is how your leaders can change with their performance.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Haha glad that you took my advice and actually thanked me for it means a lot man, I'm just glad that my tactics actually work and people agree with that :P now for all of africa.....

Quote Originally Posted by glennbob View Post
    Haha glad that you took my advice and actually thanked me for it means a lot man, I'm just glad that my tactics actually work and people agree with that :P now for all of africa.....
    My pleasure. Your superb strategy is the best way out of the hole I dug France into.

Cunning AI and my arrogance creates colonial disaster.

I have finally developed Hue to the point where I can declare a colony. In four months, the endless Indochina war should be over. But my conquest of Tonkin has enraged the Chinese, who claim the area as their own. My relations with China are horrible, and getting worse every turn. Fortunately, they are still fighting the Taiping Rebels, though the Taipings are close to being wiped out. Most of my Indochina forces are now on the Chinese border, waiting. China's actions have given me a temporary casus belli against China, which I now know enough to ignore.

France desperately wants peace, but the conquest of Tonkin has planted the seeds of war.

Quote Originally Posted by vaalen View Post
    Sir Garnet, All of my successful siege of Hue was done in defensive posture, with at least one breach on every turn of the siege. After four months, the enemy surrendered without an assault.
    Was that defensive posture the whole time, even when the siege was initiated? That would require enough MC to not have to flip automatically into offensive to enter the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Garnet View Post
    Was that defensive posture the whole time, even when the siege was initiated? That would require enough MC to not have to flip automatically into offensive to enter the region.
    It was offensive posture when I ordered the army to enter the Hue area. Once I began a turn in Hue, I switched to defensive posture and the siege initiated. Istayed in defensive posture for the next 8 turns, then Hue surrendered.

The benefit of defensive posture in that situation is that it allows your troops to recover some cohesion.

Quote Originally Posted by vaalen View Post
    The benefit of defensive posture in that situation is that it allows your troops to recover some cohesion.
    Seems like a good plan to starve them out - the interesting question is whether Defensive has a lower breach/hits inflicted rate than Offensive, though that mainly affects plans to assault rather than wait.

Basically in a siege:
    1. Passive posture: Just sit there, no siege, run away if attacked, but do recover cohesion much faster. Only for desperate.
    2. Defensive posture: Siege the city, defend against sorties or outside attacks.
    3. Offensive posture: Siege the city, attack against any forces not besieged.
    4. Aggressive posture: Storm the city. Worth a try if your cohesion is good and you greatly outnumber the defenders but will result in massive casualties if not.

Example: When I attacked S-P in my France game, all their armies had been destroyed by the Austrians so only garrisons left.
    One Army (About 500 force points) and one good commander each city, stormed the cities, almost no loss to me, total loss to them.
    MJL
    The New Glory of France, a PON Beta AAR:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...a-Version-1.02

Seems like a good plan to starve them out - the interesting question is whether Defensive has a lower breach/hits inflicted rate than Offensive, though that mainly affects plans to assault rather than wait.
    I got eight breaches in 8 turns of siege. I did have some siege artillery.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSword of the StarsVictoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

it shouldn't - breaches are a function of the artillery you have present, certainly a siege force in defensive mode will make breaches - not sure about passive, but it would be a very risky stance to use in that situation in any case.

First Lieutenant
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi

Blog Entries
    And in rl or history two french officers traveled down the stream, decided that the whole area was french now and so it was.

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Thanks for that Account Vaalen - you have piqued my interest in PON no end. I am off to find a demo

Quote Originally Posted by happyman40 View Post
    Thanks for that Account Vaalen - you have piqued my interest in PON no end. I am off to find a demo
    As I recall, the demo was not that good. But if you buy the game, and patch it to the latest build, you will have an amazing game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2