+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 103 FirstFirst ... 11 36 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 86 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2046

Thread: (MOD) Optimum Scholarum Cogitationis

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Hither & thither, perchance anon whither... ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arakhor View Post
    Chronica Regni sounds like really dodgy Latin. Perhaps Gesta Regnorum ("Deeds of the Kings") would be better?
    Not sure what's dodgy about it, how would one correctly (if this is incorrect) conjugate "Chronicle of the Kingdom"?

first declension noun, nominative singular (fem.): chronica
    second declension noun, genitive singular (neu.): regni

I have only this year begun to teach myself to read Latin, so please educate me.

Also, I will note this is Solo's artwork, and he is rather difficult to trip-up.

While I suppose it may be possible to do so, I haven't seen it yet...

I'll await your correction before adding this to the list of known issues.
    Last edited by Scocou; 29-10-2011 at 18:18.
    OPTIMUM SCHOLARUM COGITATIONIS
    A Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind Mod focusing on Europe & Asia from 1411-1789.

"Go slow, don't get rushed, ask for help and, most importantly, remember that our scouts report vague rumors that life outside of EU3 exists" - 17blue17

Quote Originally Posted by James The 1st View Post
    It's probably his save edit job.
    I think so too, they look really easy to botch. Never even tried myself... maybe time to learn.
    A Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind Mod focusing on Europe & Asia from 1411-1789.

"Go slow, don't get rushed, ask for help and, most importantly, remember that our scouts report vague rumors that life outside of EU3 exists" - 17blue17

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scocou View Post
    Not sure what's dodgy about it, how would one correctly (if this is incorrect) conjugate "Chronicle of the Kingdom"?

first declension noun, nominative singular (fem.): chronica
    second declension noun, genitive singular (neu.): regni

I have only this year begun to teach myself to read Latin, so please educate me.

Also, I will note this is Solo's artwork, and he is rather difficult to trip-up.

While I suppose it may be possible to do so, I haven't seen it yet...

I'll await your correction before adding this to the list of known issues.
    It seems to me that it's correct. Regnorum is gen. plural

EDIT: indeed, regonrum is gen. plural from regnum-i not from rex-regis. Of the kings would be regorum
    CAMPEONES LIGA ESPAÑOLA 2014
    Mi blog... de todo un poco

? Hmm... well it's as I explained. For example, start as any nation and look at the fort level of their capital. There are a few things that can increase the fort strength by one or more levels.
    Thanks I saw it do exactly like you said - when I built level 2 it became level 3. Just didn't actually see anything in my listed modifiers. It's all good regardless. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhuh View Post
    Thanks I saw it do exactly like you said - when I built level 2 it became level 3. Just didn't actually see anything in my listed modifiers. It's all good regardless. Thanks.
    No problem, agreed it is not very clear or intuitive to understand. I think "fort 1+1" would be better, or at least an icon noting the modifier's effect. I'll look into adding this, but not sure if it's possible...

Quote Originally Posted by pirro View Post
    It seems to me that it's correct. Regnorum is gen. plural

EDIT: indeed, regonrum is gen. plural from regnum-i not from rex-regis. Of the kings would be regorum
    Agreed. Regni is correct genitive singular for English "of the Kingdom".

Not sure how one could see "Chronica Regni" as "really dodgy Latin", so I assume I am missing something.

Unless we get a clarification from Arakhor, I'm afraid that was a double-fail in his comment.

Admittedly, it is rather difficult to conjugate.

Cheers
    Last edited by Scocou; 29-10-2011 at 22:18.

Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossEuropa Universalis: Rome

Blog Entries
    Agreed. Regni is correct genitive singular for English "of the Kingdom".

Not sure how one could see "Chronica Regni" as "really dodgy Latin", so I assume I am missing something.

Unless we get a clarification from Arakhor, I'm afraid that was a double-fail in his comment.

Admittedly, it is rather difficult to conjugate.

Cheers
    Easier than in german anyway

Easier than in german anyway
    No kidding! I studied German for two years in high-school and barely learned a damned thing.

Well, except that two people can have a conversation by only saying "morgen" back and forth five or six times...

And how to order a beer and some shashlik, or to proposition German lasses.

Phonetic spelling is great, but they negate that with some other obfuscations.

English is a nightmare too, not sure how you non-native speakers gain such a proficiency with it.

If you don't mind me butting in, Chronica Regni sounds pretty dodgy to me, too. Simply because the words you want are secondary meanings. I don't know where you found 'chronica' anyway. Annales Regum (not regorum) might work as the chronicle of the kings. 'kingdom' is pretty abstract and wouldn't generally get a chronicle, and if it did, it would generally be specified in terms of a city, family or people. (Annales Regni Aegypti or some such) But nothing really wrong with it, it just sounds weird

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDivine WindSengokuVictoria 2
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The glossary of rulers in EU3 is rather Regesta for me. (Regesta Imperii for HRE is the source of this thought.)
    In my opinion, a chronicle is rather a long, (sometimes) narrative writing. Just my taste, though.
    Nova Monumenta Iaponiae Historica: A Sengoku Mod for CK2 (alpha 0.0.6)
    Historical 1534 scenario, original portraits, family trees between the 6th and 16th century etc. You can check alpha version video in ParadoxExtra!
    Direct Link to our Steam Workshop page.

Pax Sinica (East Asia Mod for EU4) Bella Iaponica (Japan Mod for EU4, will be updated with AoW)

I get an error when I try to load EU3 with this new version.
    It says:
    File exception:
    Exception in: discfile.cpp, line: 433. Description: Could not open file:
    common\countries/Shirvan.txt
    ---
    EDIT: Forget it, I deleted all and Installed in order again and it worked
    Last edited by hansnery; 30-10-2011 at 02:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikenos View Post
    If you don't mind me butting in, Chronica Regni sounds pretty dodgy to me, too. Simply because the words you want are secondary meanings. I don't know where you found 'chronica' anyway. Annales Regum (not regorum) might work as the chronicle of the kings. 'kingdom' is pretty abstract and wouldn't generally get a chronicle, and if it did, it would generally be specified in terms of a city, family or people. (Annales Regni Aegypti or some such) But nothing really wrong with it, it just sounds weird
    OK guys, I am not wasting any more time debating this, aside from posting the following;
    "The Chronica Majora is an important medieval illuminated manuscript chronicle by Matthew Paris, one of a number of redactions of his work on English history. It is currently in Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. It covers the period 1240-53. It is his major historical work, but is less heavily illustrated per page than others."

And here;
    "Generally a chronicle (Latin: chronica, from Greek χρονικά, from χρόνος, chronos, "time") is a historical account of facts and events ranged in chronological order, as in a time line. Typically, equal weight is given for historically important events and local events, the purpose being the recording of events that occurred, seen from the perspective of the chronicler. This is in contrast to a narrative or history, which sets selected events in a meaningful interpretive context and excludes those the author does not see as important. The term often refers to a book written by a chronicler in the Middle Ages describing historical events in a country, or the lives of a nobleman or a clergyman, although it is also applied to a record of public events."

It is the exactly correct definition, context and conjugation. Enough said? Sorry, but I need to spend my time on more important issues than debating centuries old Latin translations... Thanks for the input and interest nevertheless, but this "issue" is closed.

Cheers
    Last edited by Scocou; 30-10-2011 at 02:55.

Quote Originally Posted by hansnery View Post
    I get an error when I try to load EU3 with this new version.
    It says:
    File exception:
    Exception in: discfile.cpp, line: 433. Description: Could not open file:
    common\countries/Shirvan.txt
    ---
    EDIT: Forget it, I deleted all and Installed in order again and it worked
    Hooray, I got off easy!

Have fun, cheers

Blog Entries
    You can use Carmen too, but It'd seem weird (Carmen is close to Gesta-ae)

You can use Carmen too, but It'd seem weird (Carmen is close to Gesta-ae)
    I am more than comfortable trusting in Solo's judgement for these matters, he knows what he's doing.

I already spend ~12 hours per day addressing real issues with OSC, and am not eager to increase that to 12-1/2.

Don't take me wrong, all input is welcome, but occasionally I will need to draw the line...

Cheers

Were decisions like "Form Iberia" removed?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Yes it was. Useless tags are being cleared out.

Quote Originally Posted by James The 1st View Post
    Yes it was. Useless tags are being cleared out.
    Correct, and correct. There are enough mods that provide this sort of "alternate history" type character already. While they are indeed fun, we're going to try to stick to nations/tags that have some established historicity. Nothing too strict mind you, but the really frivolous tags, or those greatly outside the timeline (1399-1789), stick-out like a sore thumb from the rest of the fairly plausible content. About as far down this road as I will go is the soon to be added decision in SapientHomo's "Aegean Crusade" module, which allows one to reform the Latin Empire. It will be left partly because I am reluctant to force any changes on Sapient's superb content, but more so because I think it's worth the concession for the oodles of fun and coolness it will add.
    Last edited by Scocou; 30-10-2011 at 19:43.

I was going to try to form it with Iberia :P
    But for the plausability of it, Dom Pedro I had plans of uniting the crowns of Brazil, Portugal and Spain, with his son Dom Pedro II in Brazil, his daughter Maria in Portugal or Spain. But he died.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

I was going to try to form it with Iberia :P
    But for the plausability of it, Dom Pedro I had plans of uniting the crowns of Brazil, Portugal and Spain, with his son Dom Pedro II in Brazil, his daughter Maria in Portugal or Spain. But he died.
    But it would have still been called Spain.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 103 FirstFirst ... 11 36 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 86 ... LastLast