• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

seattle

Field Marshal
50 Badges
Apr 2, 2004
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Knights of Honor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Cities in Motion
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
Last edited:
Chapter I: "Setting the stage (1836-38)"

A first glance at Bavaria's situation reveals the following:
We are surrounded by minors who are in the sphere of either Prussia or Austria. No easy landgrabs. On the positive side, our neighbours are friendly and offer alliances.

bavaria1836.jpg

Our economy is strong and will be improved further. I will heavily focus on industrializing the country, so we'll become a powerhouse within a couple of decades. We have one national focus which is used to attract capitalists around Munich.

bavaria1838.jpg

I won't be expanding the military yet, instead push industry and economy to become a Great Power. Then I might grab some neighbours, once pushed out of the SoI of Prussia or Austria. As I'm not willing to give up my throne, inner politics will be focused on containing liberalism. I'm willing to use force if necessary.

In June of 1836, we invented beer. That's right, Bavaria did it. Construction of a brewery in Augsburg began immediately. Prost!

The world:
After Mexico annexed Texas, the US tried to liberate the state in vain. That could become interesting, a strong Mexico maybe?

Last edited:
subscribed :D. For some extra Industry, you could invade West Switzerland, they got a couple of factories their, and just get Military Access from Baden and Wurtemburg.

That works? Didn't even think of that. If you got more ideas, please tell me!

Chapter II: "Becoming a Great Power (1838-43)"

The late 30s saw some dramatic events all over the world. Belgium surprisingly wins the Dutch-war and gains Gelderland, only to lose it again shortly after to Prussia. The Ottoman Empire grabs Georgia from Russia and Mexico is finally badly beaten in the second American war, losing Texas and Nevada.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to the rest of the world, the Golden Age dawns upon the kingdom of Bavaria. We used our abundant treasury to plaster our cities with factories and roads, quickly becoming 6th in the world.

bavaria1843a.jpg

As a new Great Power, it was time to expand. We decided to isolate neighbouring Frankfurt by getting it out of Prussia's SoI and worsening relations with Prussia. Thusly we were able to quickly seize and annex Frankfurt. A worthy start on our road to glory!

bavaria1843.jpg

Future plans:
- Conquering Hesse-Darmstadt to gain access to Switzerland and connect our western possession of Kaiserlautern to the rest of the kingdom

Some trouble is looming on the horizon though, mainly the ever more militant liberal agitators (300.000 by now). I beefed up my army to deal with those rascals. The only ground I'm willing to give up is better work conditions for my people. A 14h work day has been enacted. Taxes are at 29% (poor), 26% (mid), 5% (rich). What's there to complain about???
Even more troublesome: I'm losing ground in the Great Power race...

Russia has fallen out of GP status :eek:

I've seen that the odd time in other versions, and during the midgame of VRRP, but I've never ever seen it happen this early in the game. The Ottomans must have given them a damn good trashing.

I see you're researching commercial brands. Are you going for cigarettes, or are you just plowing ahead towards the luxury clothes and furniture factories? In my experience they can become quite profitable later on since so few build them.

What other techs have you researched? Medicine goes without saying as you're building breweries, but what else? Inorganic Chemistry would give you the Catalytic Fermentative Process invention, boosting profitability of your breweries significantly. How about Organized Factories? Apart from the throughput bonuses it gives you canned food. IIRC Bavaria has lots of cattle, turning them into canned food would secure demand for cattle and a secure supply of canned food for you (which make up half the life needs of craftsmen and clerks, just mentioning it for readers unfamiliar with VRRP).

What industrial strategy are you pursuing overall? I'm a junkie for economic strategy :rolleyes:

Russia has fallen out of GP status. I've seen that the odd time in other versions, and during the midgame of VRRP, but I've never ever seen it happen this early in the game. The Ottomans must have given them a damn good trashing.

The next chapter will be Russia-centric because the borschtsch is about to hit the fan! Will be updated very soon.

Are you going for cigarettes, or are you just plowing ahead towards the luxury clothes and furniture factories? In my experience they can become quite profitable later on since so few build them. What other techs have you researched? What industrial strategy are you pursuing overall? I'm a junkie for economic strategy :rolleyes:

Tech strategy: Use Bavaria's natural strengths. We have a 15% bonus on industry and 5% on commercial. Hence I went all-out industry first, focusing on branches that are produced domestically. Cigarettes are useless to me, as I would have to import the required tobacco, thus limiting my profit margin. Bavaria does produce a ton of wheat, cattle and wood. So I went for beer, whiskey, canned food, furniture etc.

I too am a sucker for economics, my favourite pastime.

Chapter III: "The Acid Test (1843-1849)"

It soon became clear that 1840s would be make or break Bavaria.

First news of the world: The first Sino-Russian war starts with China occupying vast ground in Siberia. Russia at the brink of defeat, fighting a war of attrition. China's war exhaustion dramatically increases while her army starves in the endless steppes of Russia. China signs a humiliating peace deal, giving up Mongolia. At the time the deal was signed, China still occupied half of Siberia. Revanchism will soon mount. The Russian bear then colonizes Oregon, how will the USA react?
Overconfident, Russia tries to liberate the Caucasus only to get badly battered by Prussia, France, the Ottomans and others. Russia loses 80 divisions within several months, but still fields 127 and overruns the weak Ottoman defenders. What a pyrrhic victory. Despite a war score of +20%, Prussia and France sign a white peace, leaving the Turks alone. The Caucasus is Russian again and a new world power has been born!

Back to Bavaria:
Our mentioned unwillingness to make compromises with the liberals, by 1849 roughly 1.2 million (out of 1.5 total population!!!) are ready to start a revolution which would surely be my doom.

Instead of dealing with those ungrateful lowlifes, I go to war with Hesse-Darmstadt (after having isolated them again). Their only ally doesn't help them, so it's easy pickings. My infamy level carefully monitored, I struck when it was safe.

bavaria1849.jpg

My thinking: I will be able to blitz Hesse-Darmstadt before a potential revolt hits, being home in time to deal with any agitator. What I forgot: Half of my soldiers are Jacobin rebels! Now I'll have to find a solution as soon as possible. Or shall I take my chances, riding out the storm? After all, the "springtime of nations" will be over eventually.

bavaria1849b.jpg

Will the king be overthrown by traitors despite having won two glorious wars? Stay tuned and please give me sound advice!

Last edited:
A screenshot showing your factory screen would be nice :)

Whatever you wish, good sir!
bavariafactories.jpg

Every factory besides the "misc. luxuries" (bottom right) was built by his majesty personally ;)
You can tell by the profitability of each and everyone of them. His highness is infallible, of course.

Looking good. With that many factories, most of which are decently profitable at least, your capis should be able to continue building from there. The only issue I see is that you don't have any iron or chemicals source. Do you plan to sphere someone who produces those to secure your supply?

As for what to do with the imminent danger of Jacobin uprising, could you buy off the people with some other social reform? Unemployment benefits are cheap as long as you can keep your people employed ;). And what is your poor tax at? It looked a little high in the budget screen screenshot. You should be able to afford giving your folks a tax break. Or enact pensions, giving the money back. Which will both please them directly via the passing of a reform, and indirectly via giving them more money to spend on their needs.

Sphering someone? Ahem... that's the kids call it today? Yeah, I'm gonna "sphere" someone really soon ;)
Poor taxes are at 29%. I'll start writing the update now, that oughta answer most questions. I really appreciate any advice you can give me. That goes for the rest of you as well!

Last edited:
Chapter IV: "Consolidation and Preparation (1849-1860)"

The Bavarian king has lead two successful wars in the past decade, only to be threatened by revolution. What else can you want from a leader? I've expanded the kingdom, lowered taxes, lead Bavaria to Great Power status, vastly increased literacy and pushed industrialization.

Yet, this is how I get repaid:

bavaria1849c.jpg

With a total population of 1.5 million people, 1.2 million are about to revolt! So I decided to give up some ground, just a little. I allowed "state controlled" trade unions, figuring that an increased desire for social reforms is not bad at all. Some of those reforms will increase life quality and it's better than to give up political power. I'm still an absolute monarchy.

Weeks later the springtime of nations was over and suddenly all rebels went home and decided to love me again, filthy bastards!

The 1850s were completely uneventful in Bavaria. I decided to spend the entire decade consolidating my ever increasing empire. Flying under the radar until my infamy level is under control again. But just like Hitler said: After the conquest is before the conquest. Or was it Sepp Herberger? Anyways, the rest of the world wasn't as calm...

Russia continued her rise to a global power by colonizing and more landgrabs from China:
bavaria1860a.jpg

bavaria1860b.jpg

Leading to this constellation of power:
bavaria1860c.jpg

By 1860 Bavaria's past conquests had largely been forgotten by the world and it was time for a new conquest. This time we set our sights on neighbouring Baden which would give us access to Switzerland. This new enemy poses a formidable threat though. They field the biggest army of any foe thus far and there remains the question mark, how our mutual ally Saxony will react. If they side with Baden, I might be toast. Still I am willing to risk it, throwing my entire army against Baden, leaving the Saxon border undefended. I believe that they will remain neutral. At least that's what I hope...

bavaria1860.jpg

Chapter V: "German Hegemony? (1860-1870)"

The conquest of Baden took two years of diplomatic preparation. Since Baden was on friendly terms with both Prussia and Austria, they would have stepped in and fubar'ed me.
In a meticulous and long-drawn affair I was finally able to lower the relationship and isolate Baden. The time was well spent though, as my army was completely out of date. Those two years were thoroughly used to modernize my units.

The result was a whooping success:
bavaria1863.jpg

Now only Württemberg remains as a thorn in my side. Rest of the 60s were spent waiting for the Prussian-Austrian war for hegemony, where I would side with the stronger side.

The rest of the world: Canada and Norway declared independence, Ottoman Empire gained vast territories from Egypt and the USA aquired land in Mexico.

It is 1870 now and Prussia is still not at war with Austria! I'm trying my best to stir trouble. The Great Powers in 1870:

bavaria1870.jpg

So, are you going to try to get someone into your sphere of influence? You seem quite well positioned to form the South German Federation from the looks of it.

So, are you going to try to get someone into your sphere of influence? You seem quite well positioned to form the South German Federation from the looks of it.

I simply can't get Wurttemberg, been trying for years. Austria only influences 1-2 countries at a time and thus they always beat me to it. It's 1873 now and still nothing happening. Can't ally with Austria (relation +200, impossible). No idea how to pull it off. Right now, I can't even attack anyone without getting squashed by the Great Powers. Desperately need a way out.

@South German Federation: Can't conquer Alsace and as long as Württemberg is in Austria's sphere...

Last edited:
Chapter VI: "Prussian-Austrian war (1870-1877)"

(I had to manually trigger the war)

In 1873 the war between Prussia and Austria for German hegemony finally started. I pulled the Stalin and remained neutral, handpicking who gets military access to Bavaria (which is a powerful tool). I simply waited for one side to bleed dry and then prey on them.

Remember Württemberg? Naturally they went to war on Austria's side and I was allied with them. Their powerful army (about 22 units) marched straight through Bavaria into Prussia. I then dissolved the alliance, their army was stuck. Numerous attempts of getting military access were rejected by our side.

I then waited for Austria to get battered. Then I invaded the undefended Württemberg with Austria being already too weak to declare war on me. Prussia is the undisputed power in Germany and Bavaria a force to be reckoned with.

bavaria1874.jpg