• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

El_Presidente

Second Lieutenant
89 Badges
Apr 15, 2006
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
i played with several "secondary powers" (bavara, two sicilies) and brought them to "great power status. but now i have the biggest problems influencing other states around me. e.g. i tried to get papal state into my sphere but that is really impossible.
i did major research on influence boost (3 techs) but i still dont have the slightest chance to get beyond friendly and then remove them from frances sphere. either i get expelled / banned / discredited ...

maybe i miss something, i would be happy if someone could give me a hint...

The biggest thing you missed is that basically you shouldn't try to go head to head with France.

France has LOTS of influence to throw around, if you want to take countries from France's sphere you'll have to do it 1 at a time, and you'll have to be clever about it.

When your influence is building up, keep an eye on France. If they discredit you, keep at it and ignore it. If their influence is getting close to 50 though, just stop, stop influencing them altogether and wait until someone else tries. France will then use their influence to knock that other country down and you can resume the process until France gets close to having 50 again.

Eventually you'll get there, but influence battles with France require some serious micro-management, likewise with Great Britain.

Not true, often Austria will give it a crack on its days off, and America strangely shows an interest once it's got it's local area under the thumb.

The other handy thing is that Two Sicilies has a reasonable chance of becoming a GP, which always serves to disrupt France's Italian collection.

If only one other GP is interested in sphering your target, and they are seriously interested, then its going to cost you a large amount of influence. If they are much bigger than you, or the continent/neighbour bonuses are against you, you are going to find it difficult to impossible.

However, once muliple GPs are interested you can always play them off against one another. The AI will never use its influence on a GP unless that GP is actively influencing at the time. Just set your priority to zero when the AI gets close to 50, wait for it to use its influence on another AI, and then set your priority going again. Keep a portfolio of targets and move your influence to whatever one the AIs are low on, and as they get towards 50, shift somewhere else.

You can also play games with the level you set your priority at. If you have just one target, all your influence goes to it whether you set the priority at 1,2 or 3. However, the AI will respond differently. Similarly, if you have attracted a ban or have accumulated 100, it doesn't matter what priority you set, you don't add any influence, but it does affect what the AI does.

Once you realise the AI only acts on the basis of the priority you set, rather than the position you are in, you can run rings round it in the influence game.