• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This.

I think the patches are the way they are for anti-piracy (correct me if I'm wrong), which is a huge mistake. We all know that anti-piracy only hurts legitimate customers and in the end, the company.

Still, thanks for the patch. :)

If I've understood correctly, Paradox titles do not include any kind of drm copy protection to begin with?

Ok. This thread has been hijacked by the whiny Steam kids. I'm leaving now.

Love the patch. Love the game.

Everyone carry on.

If I've understood correctly, Paradox titles do not include any kind of drm copy protection to begin with?

No, not the game itself (thumbs up for that), but to me this seems like an indirect attempt of DRM. I don't see any other reason for not having the patches also in a .zip-file, which would instantly remove any Steam patching issues.

I don't think any of the Paradox games have been automatically updated in a long time.

Ok. This thread has been hijacked by the whiny Steam kids. I'm leaving now.

Love the patch. Love the game.

Everyone carry on.

I must say I love the patch too, just like the game. Am I a whiny steam kid for giving some advice to paradox on how to make me and others even happier customers? I hope not! ;)

It's RELee. If he ain't being grumpy it isn't him. His standard position is yelling at kids on his proverbial lawn.

You keep talking to yourself in the mirror like that and folks will think you're weird.

He was clearly talking to you. There is nothing wrong with steam customers wanting the 3.05 patch (I myself am one of them). I'd hardly say anyone has been 'whiny' in their approach asking why steam customers have yet to have it. I'd say you were trolling in your comment but clearly with your post count and join date you've been here working your magic a while.

Welcome
I have HOI3 gold and FTM 3.04 downloaded from Impulse - every time i try to install patch 3.05 get the information - could not find for the motherland installed.
Please help find the solution.

Welcome
I have HOI3 gold and FTM 3.04 downloaded from Impulse - every time i try to install patch 3.05 get the information - could not find for the motherland installed.
Please help find the solution.

Ask in tech support forum, they should be able to help you there.

Why doesn't Paradox just upload the zipped patch to their tech support forums for steam users? The Darkest Hour team did it like that with a 'unified' patch and it worked like a charm. Now Im forced to download a patch uploaded by someone to the steam forums which seems to give an incorrect checksum.
At least 2 reasons that I am aware of.

1) They shouldn't have to...they have a perfectly good system available for applying patches. It isn't their fault that Steam (and Impulse) break that process by changing the install method (and registry entries).
2) Their contract with Steam doesn't allow them to provide the patch directly, it has to go through Steam.

At least 2 reasons that I am aware of.

1) They shouldn't have to...they have a perfectly good system available for applying patches. It isn't their fault that Steam (and Impulse) break that process by changing the install method (and registry entries).
It's not a matter of 'they have to' - it's just a matter of making things a bit easier for customers. Considering uploading the patch requires a minimum of effort yet gives a lot of happy customers, I think it would be wise. Paradox has done the same in the past, anyway.

2) Their contract with Steam doesn't allow them to provide the patch directly, it has to go through Steam.
This is nonsense. The patch uploaded as a compressed file should not break any contract(if there even is one) as it can just as well be applied to the boxed version of the game. It is the customer's choice, as to say. If your statement is true, the zipped (beta)-patches paradox so kindly provided in the past would not be allowed by the contract either. Which makes me believe there is no such contract.

if we learn something...then it is this:

best to buy all Paradox Games at Gamersgate in Future. :D
You will never wait again for patches.

It's ridiculous to say that you'll never have to wait for patches from Gamersgate. You might not have to wait as long as you would with Steam, but you'll have to wait. The 3.05 patch for FtM wasn't available from GG until 2 weeks after it became available here on the forums. I bought SF and FtM (and lots of other games) from GG, and I'll probably buy lots more, but patches for PI games are not instantly available on GG.

This is nonsense. The patch uploaded as a compressed file should not break any contract(if there even is one) as it can just as well be applied to the boxed version of the game.

There is no boxed version of FtM. It is only available as a digital download. And Steam's own delivery and installation method makes the normal patching process fail. So please quit trying to blame PI for something that Valve (Steam) did. If Steam were not insistent on imposing their proprietary delivery methods as part of their DRM scheme, then this would not even be an issue.

It is the customer's choice, as to say. If your statement is true, the zipped (beta)-patches paradox so kindly provided in the past would not be allowed by the contract either. Which makes me believe there is no such contract.

You are trying to apply common sense to a matter that is presided over by lawyers. Bad move. It'll never work.

How to do mixed installs form different distris:
Questions-regarding-to-install-from-different-distributors-boxed-versions

Boxed version of HOI3-For the Motherland:
German Boxed version of HOI3-For the Motherland at Amazon

Also Semper Fi was available in Germany and Poland as boxed version.
Because of different names(localisation files) for censorship , the initial german boxed version of HOI3 had a different checksum.
But installing a patch may solve that.

The problems with Steam is, that they just do not set some Reg entries, because they handle software through their own software installer. So you have not the Reg entry that the patch is asking for...
Now Paradox could make sure that their patch installer is checking all the possible ways their partners do the install, or their partners just add this key to the Registry. And now you could maybe imagine what is going on behind the scenes. As that means additional costs and maybe some does not want to spend it.

If you don't get the patch in time through your Ditributor blame him!

IMHO thats the way to go. As the Developer P has done everything right in a senseable way to install the software. Only the Distributor that have for their business modell different ways to distribute the software have problems..

Best regards,
Chromos

It's not a matter of 'they have to' - it's just a matter of making things a bit easier for customers. Considering uploading the patch requires a minimum of effort yet gives a lot of happy customers, I think it would be wise. Paradox has done the same in the past, anyway.

This is nonsense. The patch uploaded as a compressed file should not break any contract(if there even is one) as it can just as well be applied to the boxed version of the game. It is the customer's choice, as to say. If your statement is true, the zipped (beta)-patches paradox so kindly provided in the past would not be allowed by the contract either. Which makes me believe there is no such contract.

its same reason why Battlefleld 3 is not going to be on steam