• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Catalonia released from France isn't so bad. Ally with France, reclaim cores in Spain, call allies, victory! Then either take some states from the Barbary Coast, or use France to win you some islands from the Italians. From there, and with the tech edge from being released from France instead of Spain, you're solidly in secondary power status with plenty of options.

Well I just started and managed to get to second power. I'm now ranked 8 but can't seem to knock the Ottomans out of GP status. How long do I need to wait?

I believe the wait time is six months. And how fast did you get to number 8?

I believe the wait time is six months. And how fast did you get to number 8?

When you release Catalonia as France you automatically start at 8 prestige because France already researched romanticism. If you release Catalonia as Spain, the only benefit from that is that your bigger, but dirt poor (I think). French Catalonia has a better chance of alliance with France (chance: maybe) which means better chance of getting cores and you start out with better tech and literacy than Spanish Catalonia (French Catalonia: 32.4 Spanish Catalonia: 13.0) So you guys choose which Catalonia you want to play.

Last edited:
I understand how you could the prestige that easily without cheating, but how did you get the UK to give you Mogadishu?

1) Try to ally UK over and over until they comply (actually this took so much time, about 15 years).
2) Declare war on Oman asking for Somaliland (Mogadishu). It's worth war score 2.
3) Call your new UK ally to war, they will take over leadership.
4) UK soon adds WG Annex Oman and they start blockading and occupying Oman's provinces.
5) After UK occupies Mogadishu it drops to war score 1 and you can demand it in a separate peace from Oman because of its high war exhaustion.

1) Try to ally UK over and over until they comply (actually this took so much time, about 15 years).
2) Declare war on Oman asking for Somaliland (Mogadishu). It's worth war score 2.
3) Call your new UK ally to war, they will take over leadership.
4) UK soon adds WG Annex Oman and they start blockading and occupying Oman's provinces.
5) After UK occupies Mogadishu it drops to war score 1 and you can demand it in a separate peace from Oman because of its high war exhaustion.

How did you survive 15 years without being eaten by the US?

That is amazing, but even with the research, you would need many years to have that prestige...

About 350 was from Aesthetics and Philosophy, got them as far as Expressionism and Analytic Philosophy. Have vast majority of the invention triggered with +20 prestige, as I research these technologies in January of their unlock year from saved RPs. The remaining were from remaining inventions, from events like Liberty Shines (got that repeatedly) and from Egyptian excavations (got Mummy and Tutankhamun's Tomb).

How did you survive 15 years without being eaten by the US?

Just get the relations with USA to 200 ASAP. They will go for Mexico instead.

Well I just started and managed to get to second power. I'm now ranked 8 but can't seem to knock the Ottomans out of GP status. How long do I need to wait?

You need at least 2 states to become and remain a GP.

Catalonia released from France isn't so bad. Ally with France, reclaim cores in Spain, call allies, victory! Then either take some states from the Barbary Coast, or use France to win you some islands from the Italians. From there, and with the tech edge from being released from France instead of Spain, you're solidly in secondary power status with plenty of options.

haha guess what, im ranked number 4 as Catalonia, its like not even 1840, i went to take Spanish Catalonia, then took Tunis. Got luxury good being produced. epic prestige and good industry at beginning ftw