• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(229266)

Second Lieutenant
5 Badges
Oct 1, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
Do high taxation and tariff settings lower population growth? I don't appear to get much difference between no taxation+generous subsidy and full taxation+full tariffs. Is this just my weirdness or is this commonplace.

On the other side, can you grow your population significantly by slashing taxes for the poor and subsidising heavily?

Im playing 1.3

Taxation/subsidisation have nothing to do with population growth. Think about it, would lower taxes mean people have more children...?

Lower taxation tends to allow for better social mobility (i.e. POPs promoting upwards), and is generally desirable for your economy. The tariffs system is actually broken, it doesn't work like real life, so slightly negative tariffs are actually the best for the economy.

If you want your population to grow, invest in medicine tech in the military tree (this will lead to inventions that allow for higher population growth), and build your healthcare with the political reform page. Both of these will increase the birth rate, and by making your country democratic, with an effective economy you may create some immigration which will cause your population to increase.

Taxation/subsidisation have nothing to do with population growth. Think about it, would lower taxes mean people have more children...?

They may have had more children simply because better fed mums would survive childbirth better. Also more children would have survived infancy in the 19th century simply by being better fed. Increasing infant mortality by massive taxation is a real economic effect.

Thanks for that. Back I go to tax the poor then.

Just make sure that they have enough money for 80% (can't remember what the actual threshold is, I'm sure someone else can post this since Im at work) of their life needs.

It does, just in a roundabout way. If your POPs aren't doing well enough to survive, they leave the country. This obviously is a bad thing for your population size. The higher you tax them, the less well off they will be. This is especially noticeable on the poor class. Once you get a decent sized rich class, you should start taxing them a ton because they will still have plenty for life needs and stick around, and your poor will be able to live and therefore won't leave the country.

They may have had more children simply because better fed mums would survive childbirth better. Also more children would have survived infancy in the 19th century simply by being better fed. Increasing infant mortality by massive taxation is a real economic effect.

Not sure the game captures this subtlety though. The poor in the 19th century were poor outright, obviously they could have used the extra little they were getting taxed for food, but they would still have been desperately poor...