• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, you're right. It seems the title has been used since Johan III. Anyway, I always liked when you start off with a Vasa king after gaining independence. Keep it going!

I also didnt use : "King of the Geats, Swedes and Vandals" because it makes it seemlike Sweden is a shattered kingdom and I dont want that to be the case. Even if that was the official title it was largely defunct by the 15th century as Sweden was in a union under Denmark irl but in the game its not. Sweden is one nation and one pepole. Not 3

Hope this makes sense to you

Chapter 3
Don’t tread on me!
With king Gustav I Adolf Vasa taking the throne after his father Christoph in 1433 he spent the coming 5 years enjoying the luxuries of being king. He held grand feasts at his many castles and spent copious amounts of gold on food, wine and women.
However in 1438 he is forced to attend the business of ruling a kingdom with many hostile neighbors. His first move is to centralize power to the throne rather than various noble lords in the countryside. While this will benefit Sweden in the long term it does create a bit of a power vacuum as society adjusts.
Gustavs many parties were attended by many noble Lords and Ladies, however one Lady in particular would catch his eye, one Lady Amelia of France. While her links to the French royal house is weak she has no interest in the luxurious but dull life in Paris. The ruggedness and untamed wilderness of Sweden-Finland catches her interest.
The two of them spend many days (and most likely many nights as well) together and in 1439 they get married. This union eventually spawns a son. The baby is named Johan and becomes the heir to the Swedish throne. (Royal Marriage with France)
After this union King Gustav becomes highly interested in hunting and riding. Amelia’s expectation of Sweden-Finland is both met and exceeded. She participates with great enthusiasm in the fur hunts in Finland alongside her husband. However this seemingly perfect union reaches a tragic end in November 1442. Custavs horse slips on a muddy path and in its panic it throws its rider. The kings head strikes a rock and he dies instantly.

Amelia will remain as the unofficial ruler of Sweden-Finland as head of the Regency council. She is now forced to take a far more mother-like role. She abandons her adventurous life and dedicates her life to raising Johan.
Having never been impressed with the material excess of the Aristocracy Amelia is far more in favor of a plutocratic society. When several merchants issue complaints that the kingdoms favoritism of the Aristocracy is hurting their business she immediately agrees to rein in some of the old feudal rights.

The former Norwegian province of Jämtland had been taken by Sweden during The Norwegian war of Aggression. With Sweden seemingly weak and without a ruler the Norwegian nobles apply preassure on their king to retake the province and on the morning of the 5th of December Queen Amelia is rudely awakened in her chamber by the palace guards. Norwegian troops are heading north along the Swedish-Norwegian border towards Jämtland.
Amelia knows little of the ways of war and turns to the council for help. A young nobleman by name of Sigvard Sandels offers to lead the Swedish army against the aggressors. He has in depth knowledge of the geography of Sweden and knows the fastest ways to move an army.
Amelia is also relieved to hear that hanseatic forces have pledged their assistance to Sweden by opening a front against Denmark. This allows Sweden’s limited forces to be concentrated against the Norwegians.

Sigvard immediately leads the Swedish forces Northwest towards Jämtland. The Swedish and Norwegian armies end up parallel to each other literally within shouting distance of eachother, however where the Norwegian army stops for rest the Swedish keeps on marching. Sigvard reaches Jämtland three days ahead of the Norwegians and is able to heavily fortify his positions. The Norwegian attack is a disaster.

The Norwegian army scatters into the mountains and is never seen again. With Hanseatic forces breaching Copenhagen’s walls and Swedish forces closing on Oslo the Norwegian sell out their Danish allies in a very controversial peace deal.

During the war the Swedish navy has begun being reconstructed with 3 Carracks (Tre kronor, Vasa and Svärdet. Three Crowns, Vasa and The Sword) forming the foundation with another 10 ships being planned for the coming 10 years. However construction will not begin until 1455.
5 years of silence pass and Amelia seems happy to live out her days as a mother. However as so many before her Amelia is fooled by the calm before the storm. The Danish king is naturally upset about Norway’s betrayal and in 1449 He declares war upon Sweden.

However again the Hanseatic cities pledge their assistance and marches into Slesvig. Sigvard is once again sent towards Jämtland to ward of a Norwegian incursion. This time Swedish casualties are heavier but still minimal compared to the Norwegians. Sigvard pursues the Norwegians towards Trondheim but the Norwegians fight several valiant rearguard actions and in one of these skirmishes Sgivard is struck by a Crossbow bolt. He dies only a few minutes later.

Once again the Norwegian are willing to give concessions and Amelia demands that Trondheim and its surrounding become part of Sweden. She also commissions a monument outside Trondheim in memory of Sigvard Samdels.

Denmark later agrees to a Status Quo ante bellum as Hanseatic forces are storming Odense.
Queen Amelia is incredibly grateful to The Hansa for their assistance and pledges that the Kingdom of Sweden shall forever assist The Hansa should they face any form of aggression, justified or not.
Amelia Quickly returns to raising Johan and in 1455 he is crowned Johan II Vasa, King of Sweden and Grand Prince of Finland.

Sweden c.1455
Johan II Vasa (ADM4, MIL6, DIP3)
By the grace of god, King of Sweden and Grand Prince of Finland

Dynastic Links: None

Army: 2000 Latin Knights, 4000 Men at Arms
Navy: 3 Carracks. Flagship: Tre Kronor.

Economy: No

Last edited:
Just gotta say that, when your king dies, you say his name is Christoph and Not Gustav I Adolf Vasa, i thought christoph was already dead ?

Yeah I just noticed that, I wrote this at 03:00 so I wasnt really at the top of my game. ill get right on fixing that.

This is a cool story, I'm enjoying it a lot. Well done on your expansions, and I hope you're able to keep the alliance with the Hansa going! It'd be cool for role playing reasons, for sure.

So are you going to create Scandinavia? Or keep playing as Sweden?

I dont know. As thiings are now I might even find myself severly defeated withing about 10 years.

This is a cool story, I'm enjoying it a lot. Well done on your expansions, and I hope you're able to keep the alliance with the Hansa going! It'd be cool for role playing reasons, for sure.

The Hansa has been a great help and all possible steps will be taken to maintain the alliance.

Keep The Hansa as allies, and you should have a chance to survive, if you don't get into any wars with England, France, Burgundy or any of the other very large european nations, because they will chew you up :)

And i say that you should stay Sweden and take the Baltic coast!

Keep The Hansa as allies, and you should have a chance to survive, if you don't get into any wars with England, France, Burgundy or any of the other very large european nations, because they will chew you up :)

And i say that you should stay Sweden and take the Baltic coast!

Actually France has suffered a severe setback at the hands of the HRE and Burgundy. They will not be a superpower anytime soon. Burgundy and England couldnt care less about Scandinavia.

Actually France has suffered a severe setback at the hands of the HRE and Burgundy. They will not be a superpower anytime soon. Burgundy and England couldnt care less about Scandinavia.

Bwhaaaaaaa!!!
Death to le blob
Unfortunately, that leaves a HRE and Burgandy that are closer to Scandanavia than the French and now much more capable of sticking their noses into Swedish affairs.

Great AAR! Nice writing and narrative. :)

Come one bash some danes

Actually for a Sweden game there is surprisingly little Dane bashing in the near future, Norwegian bashing however is plentiful

Great AAR! Nice writing and narrative. :)

Glad you like it, Next update will probably be tomorrow night as I have some bank buisness to attend tomorrow.

Chapter 4
The warrior king that was not to be
Johan II Vasa would be crowned king of Sweden and Grand Prince of Finland at age 15 and his newborn brother Knut would be the heir. Knut was however not a child spawned by Gustav and rumors circled the court that Amelia had an affair. However this was quickly covered up and most nobles agreed to Knut`s claim to the throne should Johan die. This was mostly done to avoid a succession crisis as Sweden still finds itself surrounded by a lot of hostile neighbors.

These fears are confirmed in 1459 when Norway and Denmark declares war upon Sweden, the cause being Sweden’s “Illegal” occupation of Trondheim. While Norways cause is just and no foreign power will resist the Norwegians they are simply not prepared to face open war at the time.
The Norwegian army consists mostly of a peasant levy backed by a few professional mercenaries from Germany. The Swedish army in 1459 is mostly professional Men at Arms supported by wealthy nobles. This allows them to afford the best armor and weapons. This coupled with the fearsome Hakkapelitta cavalry almost ensures a Swedish victory. As has become standard for Scandinavian wars the Hanseatic cities march north into Denmark and Swedish forces push into Norway.

This war also features Swedens first naval victory over a foreign power. The 3 ship Swedish navy sails into Öresund and encounters a 10 ship Danish fleet. In the mid 15th century most naval engagements where fought by boarding the enemy vessel. The Swedish navy adopts a tactic of staying out of range of the Danes and take potshots at them.
This continues through the entire night and on the morning of the 12th of January a heavy fog settles over the combatants. The Danes are finally able to close the distance and board both Vasa and Tre Kronor. Svärdet has drifted a bit and is somewhat disengaged from the battle.
The Swedes are pressed harder and harder, for every Dane slain 2 more takes his place and the situation is looking grim. Until a squadron appears like ghosts from the fog, a squadron bearing Hanseatic colors.
Svärdet is able to link up with the Hanseatic admiral and leads a counterattack that swiftly and mercilessly puts an end to Danish naval supremacy in Öresund.

After this battle Norway begins to suffer fatal setbacks on land and are forced to peace in early 1461. No additional land is claimed by Sweden are The Hansa but the message is clear. You can’t win.

]Johan had personal led his forces in Norway and been very successful. Many talked of his heroics in the mountains of Norway and how he would undoubtedly be one of the greatest kings in history, alas it was not to be, in 1464 Johan dies of a disease that was never properly identified. He was only 24 years old. With Knut only being 8 a regency council is once again formed.

The council’s eyes now turn towards the east. The mighty Republic of Novgorod has many times placed large armies alarmingly close to the Finnish border. It is decided that an even more professional army will be needed to make up for the difference in numbers.
Now all we do is pray.

Sweden c. 1466
Regency Council (ADM4, MIL4, DIP3)
During the minority of Knut Vasa
By the grace of god, King of Sweden and Grand Prince of Finland
Dynastic links: None

Army: 6000 Men at Arms 3000 Latin Knights

Navy: 6 Carracks. Flagship: Tre kronor