• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rifal

Banned
38 Badges
Nov 30, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Rome Gold
Bet Kinder Bet Morgen Kommt Der Schwed

A Sweden DW AAR

"The sword has to do it best for it does not jest"-Charles XII.

Introduction

Well as my Poland AAR is now over I figured I might aswell get started on a new one ASAP. My first sweden AAR met with an untimely end due to technical difficulties and my inner patriot demands that I try again. The setup is simple: I will be playing Sweden with no mods, a 1399 start and all settings on default/normal.

My goal is equally simple: Recreate and hopefully surpass the historical Swedish Empire. Ideally I would like to pull a switchero on Denmark-Norway and create my own Kalmar Union. As always any tips and suggestions are welcome. Especially on economy. Swedens starting economy is outclassed by many HRE OPMs so I will need all the help I can get.

This AAR will be (Like quite a few before it) influenced by Chris Taylors amazing Porta Atlanticum, Portus Classis. However I am nowhere near as skilled so if I even achieve a sliver of his Excellence it will be a massive achivement for me.

Well thats it lets roll.

Table of Content

Eric VII Gryf-The Council (1399-1417)

Christoph I Vasa (1417-1433)

Gustav I Adolf Vasa-The Council (1433-1455)

Johan II Vasa (1455-1464)

Knut III Vasa (1471-1487)
The Fool

Hedvig I Vasa (1508-1521)
The Great

Erik XIII Vasa (1521-1546)

Gustav II Vasa (1546-1577

Adolf Johan I Vasa (1577-1581)

Karl IX Vasa (1581-1610

Last edited:
One thing that perhaps could help with your economy is to release Finland as a vassal and annexing them later one. Their provinces won't drag down your tech speed and you'll still gte half their income. You'll also need a smaller military as vassals usually build very large armies for their size. Hopefully they'll evene build up the provinces for you so once you annex them you get the buildings.

Take National Bank as your first NI, And i can't remember but i think Sweden starts with a colony or two? If so get it to city size as fast as you can.

One thing that perhaps could help with your economy is to release Finland as a vassal and annexing them later one. Their provinces won't drag down your tech speed and you'll still gte half their income. You'll also need a smaller military as vassals usually build very large armies for their size. Hopefully they'll evene build up the provinces for you so once you annex them you get the buildings.

Problem with that is that I will lose Finnish cores because they are not in my culture group. I can only have them as vassals for 49 years and 364 days.

Take National Bank as your first NI, And i can't remember but i think Sweden starts with a colony or two? If so get it to city size as fast as you can.

Now thats a good idea, just wish I had thought of that before I played. Well I will grab it as my second idea. Or maybe I will take a chance and actually change idea. What do ya think, Worth it?

No need to change it if you want the first idea. The second is only a few tech levels ahead right?

Regarding Finland, I have been thinking about a somewhat similar start. Release them as a vassal, they should be a good buffer to the east. Instead try to take Norway but most importantly Iceland. From there go for a Naval, Trade and Colonization ideas and try to grab land in North America. I guess it is possible without releasing Finland though...

Will follow this, like your others. I like the straightforward style with lot of big pictures :)

Chapter 1
The quiet Kalmar years
Sweden in 1399 is, at least by area one of the largest kingdoms in Europe. It is also the largest member of the Kalmar union established in 1397 to unify the Scandinavian kingdoms under King Eric VII also known as Eric of Pomerania. While this union on paper looks likes a beneficial deal for all parties the Swedish Riksråd (Council of Nobles, Bishops and Lawyers) want more power and increased autonomy for Sweden. Resistance pockets are appearing in major cities. However no offensive actions can be taken until the majority of the Riksråd is behind it. Meanwhile Sweden has some internal problems to deal with. Of highest priority is the Christianization and incorporation of the Laps into Sweden. An expedition is sent on the 14th of October. About a month later the settlers report a resounding success.

]

As the expedition to Lapland recuires more and more funding the Riksråd enacts minor reforms to the trade laws. Loosening the mercantile restriction laid out by the Danes. In the coming years this will prove to be a wise decision and the coming centuries will see a major increase in the support of free trade by the Kingdom of Sweden.

On the 2nd of April 1400 ecstatic messengers arrive from Copenhagen to announce that Eric’s wife has given birth to a son, from this day known as crown prince Fredrik I of Denmark, Sweden and Norway.
About 2 years after their initial report of success the settlers in Lapland sends word to Stockholm that rich supplies of Iron has been found. With iron being the foundation of the metallurgical industry it in high demand in Europe.
The Eastern border of Finland connects to the large and powerful Novgorodian republic and should they attempt an invasion there is not much to stand in their way. Therefore the Riksråd starts saving funds for the construction of proper fortifications to be built. However Lapland is still the priority.
In 1404 King Eric VII dies and leaves behind him his 4 year old son Fredrik. As is standard for a situation like this a council of senior nobles rule the Kalmar Union until Fredrik comes of age.

In early 1405 Lapland is finally able to sustain itself and In 1409 the Riksråd finally approves construction of fortifications in Savolax

In 1413 The Riksråd passes the “Shrewd commerce act” in hopes that it will assist Swedish merchants in Lubeck. It proves to be a wise move as trade income increases drastically and Allows Sweden to more easily support its 6000 man army. It also gave Sweden a major part in Lubecks lucrative trade.

On the 1 of April 1415 Crown prince Fredrik is Crowned Fredrik I Gryf King of Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Fredrik is a very competent man on Military and the administrative aspects of running a nation but his lack of Diplomatic knowledge will sour the relations between Denmark and its subject nations.

Sweden c. 1415
Fredrik I Gryf. (ADM 8, MIL 8, DIP 4)
King of Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Dynastic links: None

Army: 4000 Men at Arms, 2000 Latin Knights
Navy: 6 Carracks, 4 Cogs

Economy: Next Update

Last edited:
There, First update. Praise, Flame, Advise. Whatever you feel I deserve.

Have you taken Statue of Restraint of Appeals? Then you should be able to get church taxes and dissolution of the monasteries. That would help you with your cash problem a bit sice it would raise your taxes by 14%. Another way to increase taxes is to take Iconography and then remove it. It gives you both cash and another 8% tax bonus.

I think you should fix what went wrong with history and stay in your rightful place under Denmark. ;)

Hmmm, I suppose the Danes do put out a good king every now and then XD

Anyway, good set of opening moves, I'll be waiting to see how this develops.

Fredrik I is probably the only good thing to ever come out of Denmark :p

death to the danes! :D

Yeah there will be a lot of that

Have you taken Statue of Restraint of Appeals? Then you should be able to get church taxes and dissolution of the monasteries. That would help you with your cash problem a bit sice it would raise your taxes by 14%. Another way to increase taxes is to take Iconography and then remove it. It gives you both cash and another 8% tax bonus.

Hmm, I never take any religious decisions, I may have to look into that

I think you should fix what went wrong with history and stay in your rightful place under Denmark. ;)

My plan from the beggining was to stay in the kalmar union for as long as possible, however things take a surprising turn

Hello dear readers. I have an announcment to make.
I will be going away for about 3 months and will not have access to a computer. I will therefor have to put this AAR on hold for that period but hopefully I will get chapter 2 up just before I leave. I hope you understand.

Cheers

Hello dear readers. I have an announcment to make.
I will be going away for about 3 months and will not have access to a computer. I will therefor have to put this AAR on hold for that period but hopefully I will get chapter 2 up just before I leave. I hope you understand.

Cheers

Of course we do, its a shame you have to leave though.

I enjoyed your last AAR immensely, so I have no qualms about signing up for this one!