• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Damn, that's an unfortunate fate. :(

Good update!

What a silly way to die :(, in the future war with Novgorod, will you take Karelia as well? They are Finnish after all.

In my game the culture in karelia is russian
I might take it just for the sake of "border prettiness"

Chapter 12

The Swedish novgorodian war
The reign of Karl IX began very peacefully, showing no signs of the impending bloodshed. The trade with the natives in North America was flourishing and Swedish merchants learned much from their native counterparts.

This time of peace would soon be shattered however as Sweden once again gears up for war. The target is the Finnish speaking province of Kexholm, Karl has decided to make good on his promise to the local nobles.
All available Swedish forces are mustered in Easter Finland and the Baltic states. Novgorod is joined by the Kingdom of Lithuania and the irrelevant nation of Bosnia.

The Swedish forces under the command of Mikael Wachtmeister push swiftly towards the Novgorodian capital. Mikael has 14000 men at his disposal. The Novgorodian General blocking his path has 22000. By all reasonable calculation the Novgorodians have every advantage: Terrain, Numbers and defensive positions. Yet al this counts for nothing when faced with the neveryeilding wall of yellow coats.

The Swedish infantry is perfectly drilled and organized. As the first Swedish musket volley is fired the Novgorodian centre falters, a swift strike by the fearsome Hakkapellita cavalry ends all resistance.

The city’s walls however prove too much for Mikael and his limited artillery contingent, he withdraws back to Ingermanland. In Ingermanland Mikael meets with the King and is told grave news, Knut Rhenskiölds army has been defeated by the Lithuanians in Wenden. Mikael and the king rush to the rescue.

King Karl marches to Riga to aid the last remnants of Rhenskiölds army in their desperate struggle to keep Riga from the Lithuanians. They are Successful as is Mikael in his battle against the Novgorodians in Wenden.

Further north, in Kexholm the newly enlisted General Magnus Hastfer heroically defends Sweden’s gains as he drives out a superior Novgorodian force

The Swedish “Highseas fleet had ever sense the start of the war been stationed in the White sea, not the most pleasant place to be on a drafty ship.

Once the Novgorodian navy sorties it developed into a blood slugfest. The Novgorodian vessels are badly damaged and one is captured, The price however is high, Two Swedish caravels are sunk. A hefty price for a barely seaworthy barque.

After their failed attempt to wrest naval dominance from the Swedes the Novgorodians finds their position desperate. In Olonets Magnus Hastfer defeats the last opposing forces and By August 1583 the Novgorodian prince accept Karls demands for Kexholm.

[CENTER](The Eastern front two days before the peace treaty was signed)
Sweden c. 1583
Karl IX Vasa
King of Scandinavia, Grand Prince of Finland, Duke of Estonia and Livonia.

Treasury: 11 Million ducats
GDP (Estimated): 1236,4 Million ducats

Army: (Losses not calculated)
Reserves: 28,610
Navy:8 Caravels ( too be replaced by Galleons), 4 Barques, 8 Galleasses, 7 Cogs.
Discipline: 109
Tradition: Land: 22, 50 Naval 15,50

Prestige: 50

Excellent update! :)

Chapter 13

Catching our breath
The defeat of Novgorod did not have the effect upon the Russian people that Karl had hoped. Instead of falling into decay and civil war the Russian people united under a single banner.

Sweden now has an even more formidable foe to tamper with on her eastern border. Worse yet Russia lays claim to several Finnish provinces including the strategically important river Neva.

Tortuga
Tortuga is the name of Sweden’s first attempted (and successful) colony in the Caribbean; it would quickly become the most valuable colonies in the Swedish dominion. Neighboring Les Cayes is also colonized

One of the main reason why Tortuga becomes so successful is because the local governors leniency towards the local natives. Some of them are even assimilated into the European population.

The following 15 years would be years of complete peace for the Kingdom of Sweden. The colonization efforts would continue in a rather unopposed way. In 1610 King Karl dies of natural causes. Erik ascends to the throne without opposition.

Sweden c. 1610

Erik XIV Vasa (ADM:6 MIL:4 DIP:7)

King of Scandinavia, Grand Prince of Finland, Duke of Estonia and Livonia.

Treasury: 2407 Million ducats
GDP (Estimated): 1235,9 Million ducats

Army: 18000 Mauricians, 9000 Cavalry, 4000 Artillerists
Reserves: 30,324
Navy:10 Caravels, 3 Barques, 8 Galleasses, 7 Cogs.
Discipline: 109
Tradition: Land: 25, 50 Naval 12,50

Prestige: 32

You should leave Russia alone for a while, that way you will constantly have to worry about the Russian bear and the nedgame won't get that boring. Let them consilidate and then smash them to pieces, it should be fun. Also Poland seems to be doing rather well.

There will probably be one more short update as stuff simply arnt happening in the game right now. Also, be aware that this AAR is coming to an end, ive achieved my goal a long time ago. Im just waiting for that Grande Finale. My Next AAR is as of yet undecided, but it will be played with "Death and Taxes" mod.

Sad to hear it's finishing soon...but conversely glad that you have another one planned...even if you don't know the country!

Great updates though, your AAR is great fun to read. :)

There will probably be one more short update as stuff simply arnt happening in the game right now. Also, be aware that this AAR is coming to an end, ive achieved my goal a long time ago. Im just waiting for that Grande Finale. My Next AAR is as of yet undecided, but it will be played with "Death and Taxes" mod.
Destroy Russia! And Poland at the same time, that will put it to the test.

Chapter 14

Window Seeking

Three years into his reign King Erik’s wife gives birth to a son whom they name Johan. The second of the Vasa family to carry that name. With the birth of this child the succession of Sweden is safe.

Erik’s reign would now look to be one of the most peaceful in Swedish history. However as always foreign powers look enviously on Sweden’s domination over the Baltic Sea. In 1619 the Russian Tsar declares war upon Sweden citing a ridiculous claim on Estland. The entire Swedish war machine is mobilized and starts to march East.

Pskov Falls swiftly and Swedish troops are now besieging Novgorod. Now the Russian forces finally show their faces, 40000 of them. King Erik steels his men to face the coming onslaught. Once again the furious disciplines of the Swedish forces carry the day. The Russians are defeated and humiliated.

The Russians won’t show again until winter. In December the Russians attempt another attack to save their capital. They are however fewer in Numbers and are once again forced to retreat.

The Russians now decide that a head on attack on the Swedish army is impossible, they decide to attempt to circle around the Swedes and invade Finland. Unfortunately Ulrik Lewenhaupt stands in their way.

After this defeat and another in Karelia the following month the Russians withdraws from the war. Humiliated and defeated by armies often half their size.

Sweden now enters tan era known as “The great peace” In 1630 the Swedish Kingdom sits on the apex of its power. All of Scandinavia bends knee to Swedish will. Its armies are feared in every court of Europe. Certainly this is a true Great power.

Fin

Well thats that. Personally I think I did rather well. I nknow many of you would have liked to see more, but I think that where I am now is a realistic and sensible goal for Sweden. World domination and such just dosnt suit me.

As stated earlier I will be amking another AAR, Hopefully I will have the first Chapter up by tonight already. The Nation im playing as this time is: The most serene Republic of Venice. Mostly because ive never played a mediterrenean naval power before and I want to try out some galley warfare and maybe even a Crusade or two

In my game the culture in karelia is russian
I might take it just for the sake of "border prettiness"

Have they become russian through cultural assimilation or are they russian from the beginning?

Eihter way you should still conquer it :)

So... no more updates? :( But what about making the baltic sea an swedish inland sea, or forming scandinavia?

Last edited:
Have they become russian through cultural assimilation or are they russian from the beginning?

So... no more updates? :( But what about making the baltic sea an swedish inland sea, or forming scandinavia?
Karelia starts out Karelian but also as a russian colony so teh only way for it to stay karelian is to not send any colonists there as one colonist automatically change the culture.

Nope, this AAR is done. 1399-1630 is plenty for me thanks. I dont need to make the batic an inland sea as I already dominate everything interesting in and around it. Forming Scandinavia is somewhat overrated. Denmark is already mine and norway is a vassal. Its already Scandinavia in all but name

Congrats on finishing, and well done for setting yourself an achievable goal...something I often fail to do! :p

Very well done, and looking forward to the next!

Yes, congrats! No harm in finishing early if you've already done everything you want to.