• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do you have the sound toll modifier? Otherwise i would strongly suggest changing the sliders so you can get it, those 20% extra trade income can come in handy.

If you look at the latest update you will see that my GDP is actually quite large. I really have no need for anymore atm

Wont be able to upload for a while. Im going out for an Eight day excercise without food or sleep and I really need to spend these last free days mentally preparing myself.

Correction, appearently I will be able to get a chapter up today as a friend of mine was helpful enough to write about half the update for me. Big props to her for that.

Chapter 9

Gazing towards a new horizon

King Gustav II Vasa was already at a young age fascinated with the sea. Some would even go as far as calling him obsessed with it. One of his first acts as king was to remodel the entire Swedish navy, he ordered all the old Carracks scrapped, to be replaced with newer Caravels.

(Every wharf hand in Sweden works overtime to construct the new navy)

The reason for Gustavs interest in the sea comes from the stories seeping in from the Portuguese and Castilian court about great adventures in “The new World”. Gustavs ambition is to firmly Establish Sweden as a Naval power to be reckoned with. He also seeks personal fame and glory in these new lands.

Maids and princes

While Gustav is in Copenhagen overseeing the further expansion o the Swedish navy he receives word from Stockholm. The messenger has exhausted several horses on his ruthless sprint through Sweden to deliver the message: Gustavs brother Magnus has died from a severe fever.
In his sorrow Gustav takes a young maid to bed during the night. This spawns a child who is baptized Adolf Johan Vasa.

As an almost “Spur of the moment thing” Gustav declares war upon the Kingdom of Norway. Norway however has managed to form an alliance with the Kingdom of Prussia. Sweden now faces war in both the East and the West.

[CENTER](Pic taken a bit early, Prussia joined a few days later)

The War starts well for Sweden. General Knut Rhenskiöld, commander of the Livonian Army successfully defends Mitau from a numerically superior Prussian force. In the West King Gustav himself drives the Norwegian king from his defensive positions outside Oslo.

[CENTER](On the 13th of February blood stains the snow outside Mitau and Oslo).

As the siege of Oslo proceeds into spring the Prussians attempt another attack on Mitau, this time they are successful and Rhenskiöld is forced to withdraw.

The Prussians however see no reason to stay in the war and a Status quo ante bellum is signed. Gustavs goals with this war now becomes clear as he sends a force to occupy Iceland.
While almost worthless in itself Iceland may yet provide a great jump off point for expeditions to the new world.

The reslting peace deal sees the western half of Iceland is ceded to Sweden and the Kingdom of Norway is bonded in vassalage to King Gustav. Who now styles himself King of Scandinavia.

Sweden c. 1559
Gustav II Vasa (ADM 4, MIL 6, DIP 5
King of Scandinavia, Grand Prince of Finland, Duke of Estonia and Livonia

Treasury: 1043 Million ducats
GDP (Estimated): 1235,9 Million ducats

Army: 16000 Mauricians, 8000 Cavalry, 4000 Artillerists
Reserves: 29,930
Navy:10 Caravels, 3 Barques, 8 Galleys, 7 Cogs
Discipline: 109

Tradition: Land: 61,90
Naval 8,50
Prestige: 62 (Fourth)

Great update! I like seeing Sweden succeed and flourish!

Chapter 10

A New Era
Gustavs reign would continue to be one of the most profitable for Sweden ever as he in 1559 once and for all breaks the tradition of trading Swedish goods in foreign trade centers.
The Hanseatic league has abandoned its merchant focus to instead focus on challenging Sweden military domination in the Baltic. For now there is no reason to launch an unprovoked war.

While the trade centre in Stockholm isn’t the greatest or most appealing in the world. It does signify that Sweden is well on its way to becoming a big player on the European stage.

In the spring of 1562 all of the court in Stockholm castle where on edge, Johan Vasa, the crown prince is lying in bed with I high fever. Luckily after a few days of treatment by the best medicus Johan is on his feet again. (Event: Heir falls ill. Chose: Send for a trained medicus).

The 26th of October 1562 is a milestone in Swedish history as the last traces of the Feudal system is washed away when Gustav introduces the “Administrative Monarchy” The new “Middle class” of Burghers, Lawyers and Magistrates are now the foundation of the system

The new Monarchy would fund the construction of “The Royal Swedish University” just outside Stockholm in 1566 as their first major act. The University ensures a steady stream of well educated middleclass men for the Administrative branch of the government.

Gustavs Ambition
In October 1569 Gustavs plans for the new world is set into motion. An expeditionary force of 7000 men is assembled in Reykjavik and 17 ships are docked in its harbor. (New national Idea: Quest for the new world.) In December 1569 all preparations are done.

A young nobleman named Sigvard Lejonhufvud volunteers to lead the expedition across the dangerous waters of the North Atlantic. Over 1000 men would die on this journey as one of the transport ships sunk taking its entire regiment and crew with it.

Eventually in July 1570 the fleet finds safety in what they come to name “Lyckans vik” (Swedish for Fortune bay) The land expedition marched ashore and erected a barrack and secured the area for the first Swedish settlers to arrive in January 1571

The new lands colonized by Sweden are named New Gotland and new Skåne (Acadia) as that’s where most settlers came from. The Expansion of these new settlements would continue until the death of Gustav II Vasa in 1577.

His bastard son Johan is crowned king but not without resistance by a pretender. He was however quickly defeated, captured and executed by loyal forces.

Sweden c. 1577

Adolf Johan I Vasa (ADM: 7 MIL:9 DIP:9)
King of Scandinavia, Grand prince of Finland, Duke of Estonia and Livonia

Treasury: 542 Million ducats
GDP (Estimated): 1235,9 Million ducats

Army: 16000 Mauricians, 8000 Cavalry, 4000 ArtilleristsReserves: 28,036
Navy:10 Caravels, 3 Barques, 8 Galleasses, 7 Cogs
Discipline: 109
Tradition: Land: 52,90 Naval 11,50

Prestige: 34

Newfoundland in split in two between Castille and Liege, Liege is now actually almost all of belgium and has it cored. Its nice.

Cool, would it be possible to get a screenshot of europe? It would be nice to see how the rest of it is developing.

A 7/9/9! :eek:

Great update, I'm loving this AAR a lot. Good luck with America!

Cool, would it be possible to get a screenshot of europe? It would be nice to see how the rest of it is developing.

i will eventually do that, Ill probably try to work it into a regular update rather than have a "state of Europe" update.

A 7/9/9! :eek:

Great update, I'm loving this AAR a lot. Good luck with America!

I know, but I also know that EU3 is a SoB when it comes to the lifespan of great rulers

Yay, reclaim Vinland! :D throw those silly latins out of new scandinavia!

Hopefully i will last longer than the Vikings

Chapter 11

The fickle fortune
King Adolf Johan I Vasa would be one of few Swedish kings to take a serious stance in matters of religion, infact his first act as king is to abolish the old Catholic clergy in favor of the Calvinistic faith.

While this causes great turmoil in Sweden it will in the end only serve as another point in history where thousands of men are killed as a direct result of religious infighting. Religious uprisings become commonplace over the following 10 years and on many occasions they lead to direct set piece battles between Religious fanatics and the military.

Our last brethren
Ever sense 1250 the Finnish lands have been a part of the Swedish Kingdom. Only the Finnish speaking people in Kexholm are still under foreign rule. Several of the nobles in that area have long been in contact with the Swedish monarchs. The deal laid forth is that if Sweden could conquer the area its people would pledge loyalty to the Swedish crown.

No offensive actions can however be taken at the moment. Sweden has several religious uprisings to deal with. This will tie up the greater part of the Swedish Armed Forces for the foreseeable future.

Fickle Fortunes
The first of May 1581 starts as many other days in Stockholm, the last traces of the winters snow is fading and pleasant warmth is spreading throughout the city. After his breakfast King Johan decides to go for a ride. All he brings with him are four bodyguards.

Johan spurs his horse ever faster along the narrow forest paths and his bodyguards fall behind. As Johan’s horse rounds a corner it slips on a patch of ice that has managed to escape the sun’s rays. Johan is flung from the saddle and lands hard in the drainage ditch.

As his bodyguards catch up they find Johans horse standing over the broken and twisted corpse of the King. His neck and spine is severed in several places. Death was instantaneous.

Sweden c. 1581

Karl IX Vasa (ADM:4 MIL:3 DIP:5)

King of Scandinavia, Grand Prince of Finland, Duke of Estonia and Livonia

Treasury: 253 Million ducats
GDP (Estimated): 1234,9 Million ducats

Army: 15000 Mauricians, 8000 Cavalry, 4000 Artillerists
Reserves: 28,330
Navy:10 Caravels, 3 Barques, 8 Galleasses, 7 Cogs]
Discipline:109
Tradition: Land: 25, 50 Naval 12,50

Prestige: 40