• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good question. I have no idea

I would say change to reformist, both Riga and northern and southern Sweden are already reformist as well as most of norway, soon to be Swedish territory I hope, and if you are reformist you might get a cb against norway to free fellow reformists.

Last edited:
This is a great AAR! Just one thing bothers me... why do all your kings have terrible luck? In a bit more than 100 years you've had what...7 regency counsels? And none of them had died in battle.
But still, awesome AAR, this will actually help me plan for the times I play as sweden. Thanks!

Hi Rifal ... just a reminder, you need to hand on the writer of the week award to someone else, you're only meant to keep it for a week (though of course you can keep the link in your signature for ever)

ta

I wont have access to a computer for a Week

This is a great AAR! Just one thing bothers me... why do all your kings have terrible luck? In a bit more than 100 years you've had what...7 regency counsels? And none of them had died in battle.
But still, awesome AAR, this will actually help me plan for the times I play as sweden. Thanks!

Glad someone noticed. I honestly have no idea why they are so short lived, I do however know that the general health of royal families through history has been somewhat fragile. I guess the Vasa family is no exception

Chapter 7
Unification by gunpowder
After the capture of Skåne and complete expulsion of Danish influence on the Scandinavian Peninsula in 1516 Queen Hedwig is looked upon with great awe, both at home and abroad. She has decisively defeated Sweden’s eternal nemesis, and expanded Sweden’s borders in East, West and South.

For this achievement the riksråd decrees that Hedwig is forever to be known as Hedwig I “The Great”. Such a title has never before been placed upon a woman and upon her death in 1521 she is given the grandest funeral ever held in Sweden (and most likely Europe as well).

Her younger brother Erik is Crowned King of Sweden, Grand Prince of Finland and Duke of Estonia and Livonia on the 27th of August.
While his knowledge of military matters is not as great as his late sisters he is certainly adequate for Sweden’s current needs. Hedwig’s only child, Gustav becomes Sweden’s legal heir.

Powder and patches were always my dress
As mentioned earlier Sweden has always had to rely on the technological advantage to defeat its more numerous rivals. In 1522 the Swedish army faces yet another reform with the introduction of the Matchlock musket. This heralds the beginning of the military tactic that will make Swedish armies famous throughout Europe.

Disciplined ranks of Musketeers march straight towards the enemy while ignoring any enemy fire until they are about 30 paces away. At this point the musketeers will fire and then charge with cold steel (or turn their muskets around and swing like mad).

Gotland.
The Island of Gotland has long been under the rule of the Hanseatic league, but a series of revolts and military defeats has led to Gotland gaining independence.

An independent kingdom on the largest Island in the Baltic is naturally something that cannot be tolerated by Erik and he orders a swift and immediate attack on the tiny kingdom. It falls swiftly and with no resistance.

Once more over the strait
After the annexation of Gotland only one thing remains for Sweden, Hedwig’s dream of a new Kalmar union. This time with Sweden as the domination nation. Denmark’s ruling Von Welf family had never been popular or considered very legitimate.

The beginning of the end of Danish independence begins with the “Appearance” of some document stating that any nation with the ability is allowed to lead the Kalmar union. If successful this war will forever change the Balance of power in Scandinavia.
Denmark has barely recovered from its recent defeat and the feeble forces gathered to resist the Swedes are rapidly slaughtered.
By August 1525 the Danish king makes his last stand in Slesvig. Erik knows that his battlefield skills are somewhat lacking, he wisely hands command over to the king of Holland. The Swedish-Dutch alliance is an alliance of convenience only and will eventually result in nothing.
After this defeat the Danish king is captured when trying to flee to Oldenburg. He is forced to kneel in front of Erik and abdicate from the Danish throne in favor of his betters. This victory secures Sweden’s southern borders greatly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sweden is now mostly secured from all forms of aggression in the south. The largest threat to Sweden now comes from the east. The mighty Republic of Novgorod is well on its way to uniting all the Russian principalities, should they succeed they will be a foe to be reckoned with.

Sweden c. 1531
Erik XIII Vasa (ADM: 7, MIL: 3 DIP 8)[/CENTER]
By the grace of god King of Sweden and Denmark, Grand Prince of Finland, Duke of Estonia and Livonia

Treasury: 204 million Ducats
GDP (Estimated): 754, 6 million ducats

Army: 10000 Mauricians, 5000 Cavalry.
Reserves: 23,451
Navy: 8 Carracks, 8 Cogs. Flagship : Tre Kronor
Discipline: 109
Tradition: Land 53,20 Naval 3,20

Prestige87 (Third)

Excellent, Denmark has been taken care of and now all that's left between you and a United Scandinavia (aside from inheriting Denmark) is Norway!

Norway is not a threat on its own, but I have other plans for now. Norway can wait

One foe down, one to go. Erik XIII, besides his military skill, is a great king.

Yes he is, actually the Dutch King is a ADM 3 MIL7 DIP4. The perfect counterweight to Erik

Wow, Saxe-Lauenburg formed; I don't see that too often in my games.

Good job on asserting your right to rule over the Kalmar Union. And I give you mad, mad props for taking a high-ADM/DIP king and making him a general. He could have lived out his life and let other men do the fighting, but no, a epic king would do the fighting himself. I applaud the forfeiture of in-game advantage (i.e. hiring a different general) for better roleplaying storyline.

Good job on asserting your right to rule over the Kalmar Union. And I give you mad, mad props for taking a high-ADM/DIP king and making him a general. He could have lived out his life and let other men do the fighting, but no, a epic king would do the fighting himself. I applaud the forfeiture of in-game advantage (i.e. hiring a different general) for better roleplaying storyline.

Well with the Vasa family having fought long and hard to keep Sweden independent i figured it would only make sense for them to want to defend it personally. especially with Novgorod making a run for the remaining russian principalities and doing a nice job of "blobing"

i also beliave that Saxe-lauenburg is a state from the start in DW.

Are you gonna take care of that pesky finnish state? Them and Kexholm would give you some nice borders.

I didnt mention it, but it has already been annexed by me, it was such a minor and irrelevant event that I didnt bother mentioning it. I do however not have Keksholm yet.

Chapter 8

Pax Scandinavia

After the Swedish-Danish union in 1525 peace at last settled over Scandinavia. The many concerned nobles of Denmark fearing that their estates would be granted to Swedish nobles were calmed with the marriages between several of the most prominent Swedish and Danish noble families, (as well as hefty sums of coin of course)

Sweden now finds itself in a time of relative safety. Her army, while still only 17000 man strong is the best trained, most disciplined and feared in Europe, even the mighty Novgorodian Republic does not dare lift a finger against it

This time of peace also allows for focus to be put on more important matters then that of the army. The most prominent example of this is the agricultural revolution in 1536. ( No I don’t know why I took the Screenshot while hovering over France)

Southern Sweden has always and is still today the main agricultural area of Sweden and ant improvements in that area is of great benefit to Sweden.

Estonian Revolt

The acquisition of most of Estonia and Livonia had gone very smoothly for both conqueror and the conquered. The Estonian and Latvian people finds themselves treated as equals by the Swedes, there are however still some animosity on the island of Osel.

While the Revolt is relatively minor and put down swiftly it does catch King Erik of guard. He had hoped for peace and quiet for the rest of his reign. The revolt is a cruel wakeup call that Sweden still faces threats, both internal and external.

Riga

Swedens focus on Riga had long attracted the eyes of jealous rival, especially the neighboring Kingdom of Lithuania. While Lithuania in its current state is a far cry from its former splendor its attention might draw the gaze other more capable foes.

Proper Gentlemen

The system of battlefield commissions in Sweden had allowed for more than nobles to become high ranking officers in the army. Naturally the nobility raises protests against this as they do against anything threatening the old order.

However Erik, having seen the competence of his “Lower class” officers during the unification war simply chooses to ignore the nobles complains. The Feudal system is truly gone forever.

Under one banner we stand

Two years after his incident with the nobles Erik XIII dies of Natural causes in Stockholm castle. His son Gustav is crowned King of Sweden and Denmark, Grand prince of Finland, Duke of Estonia and Livonia. Gustavs younger brother Magnus becomes the official heir.

Along with the festivities around his coronation the Danish Riksråd sees fit to raise the Swedish banners above every major city in Denmark. And there they shall remain. Gustavs Reign looks to be a great one indeed.
Sweden c. 1546

Gustav II Vasa (ADM: 4 MIL: 6 DIP: 5)
King of Sweden and Denmark, Grand Prince of Finland, Duke of Estonia and Livonia.
Treasury: 254 Million ducats
GDP: 1091, 6 Million ducats

Army: 10000 mauricians, 5000 Cavalry, 2000 Artillerists
Reserves: 23,768
Navy: 8 Carracks, 7 Cogs Flagship: Tre Kronor
Discipline: 109
Tradition: Land: 52,60 Naval: 2,60

Prestige: 42 (Fifth)