• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(192255)

Kerberos Productions
2 Badges
Jan 23, 2010
www.kerberos-productions.com
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
After a short break, we're back with the Meet the Team Q&As - today, David Salsman, senior programmer! And as an apology for the absence, I'll post a picture from SotS2 that's on the Kerb boards - an old friend returns!

dave_salsman.JPG

Name and job title!
David Salsman, Programmer

What does a Senior/Network Programmer do?
For Sword of the Stars II I'm programming the UI and the networking (of course).

What are some of your favorite games of all time? (not counting your own)

Star Control 2 (Sega Genesis), Mario 64, GTA: Vice City, NFS: Hot Pursuit 2, Forza 3

How did you get started in the games industry?
It's what I wanted to do when I left high school. I studied at Digipen for two years, and my first job out of school was developing export tools for games. A year or so later I joined Barking Dog on Homeworld: Cataclysm.

Favorite thing about making games
Programming in general is like solving puzzles all day. Doing it for games is just icing on the cake.

The best thing about working at Kerberos is...
We're making the games that I would want to buy and play, no matter who made them. Sword of the Stars for example, is like the Star Control 2 on steroids that I always wanted.

What is your favorite race/faction in Sword of the Stars II?
That's a tough call, as it really depends on the mood I'm in. The races play THAT differently. But I would have to say Hiver. They're slow to get going, but I enjoy the flexibility in movement once a large gate network is set up.

Are you a warmonger or a diplomat?
Probably somewhere in the middle, but leaning toward warmonger. The ship combat is just too much fun.

Favorite feature of Sword of the Stars II?
The larger sense of scale compared to the first game has to top my list. Having a planet or star loom over your fleet gives a nice sense of wonder. Perhaps not a "feature", but my favorite part of Sword of the Stars II is the advancement of the storyline of the Sword of the Stars universe.

Are you listening to music right now?
Yes. Gorillaz!

sots2_vn.jpg

An old friend indeed :)

Which leads me to wonder: Will autoresolve in SotS 2 better balance missiles to point defence? Because it takes a massive amount of missiles to even touch von Neumann in manual resolution, but on autoresolve it's not that bad.

Autoresolve redone in Sots ][

Autoresolve is supossed to be much closer to playing out the combat in Sots ][. If I understand correctly, it's basically going to sim out the combat using the actual physics models it uses for normal battles - no simplified equations standing in.

Now, exactly how that works in practice, what compromises had to be made to keep it from being 30 min turns, I don't know. But I suspect "better" is the basic answer. ;)

Autoresolve is supossed to be much closer to playing out the combat in Sots ][. If I understand correctly, it's basically going to sim out the combat using the actual physics models it uses for normal battles - no simplified equations standing in.

Now, exactly how that works in practice, what compromises had to be made to keep it from being 30 min turns, I don't know. But I suspect "better" is the basic answer. ;)

Excellent :)