• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jamesk2

Sergeant
3 Badges
Apr 22, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • Crusader Kings III
Yesterday I played a game as Germany. After completed all the decisions historically, I came to claim Klaipedia (or whatever that province name is). Surprisingly, that Baltic country (I never care about its name) refused to give me the province.

And so I declared war against them (I think that 90% people here would do the same). Before I could make a peace deal, the SU declared war against me. That's a little annoying, but it's not the best part yet.

The very best part is that, just after the declaration of war from Soviets, nearly half of Europe ASKED to join my alliance!!! Those include Greece, Italy, Bulgaria, Portugal, Yugoslavia (perhaps one or two more but I can't be sure). I can understand the Italian part (well we signed the Anti-Communism treaty, didn't we?) but it's quite strange about the other countries.

Have anyone met this problem before?

Yesterday I played a game as Germany. After completed all the decisions historically, I came to claim Klaipedia (or whatever that province name is). Surprisingly, that Baltic country (I never care about its name) refused to give me the province.

And so I declared war against them (I think that 90% people here would do the same). Before I could make a peace deal, the SU declared war against me. That's a little annoying, but it's not the best part yet.

The very best part is that, just after the declaration of war from Soviets, nearly half of Europe ASKED to join my alliance!!! Those include Greece, Italy, Bulgaria, Portugal, Yugoslavia (perhaps one or two more but I can't be sure). I can understand the Italian part (well we signed the Anti-Communism treaty, didn't we?) but it's quite strange about the other countries.

Have anyone met this problem before?

Ok I will answer in point form

1. Its called Lithuania (learn some basic geography)

2. The Baltic States independence is guaranteed by the SU and if you attack SU is going to DoW your country.

3. Im pretty sure the rush for people to ally with you always happens when war with SU comes, when your playing Germany.

I had a really, really odd game where the Soviets declared war on me in 1939 over Poland and France gave me peace and DoW'd the Soviets. It got so ridiculous I had to quit in 1943 after being pushed back to Berlin like 4 times. This was in HoI2 though mind you.

1. Its called Lithuania (learn some basic geography)

No need to get dramatic is there?

But, I've noticed, all ahistorical wars in this game lead to absurd consequences. I had a game where I declared war on Paraguay as Argentina, and a few days later Greece declared war on Soviet Union, and then a mass flocking to Greece's alliance and soon entire Europe (both Allies and Axis) were against USSR.

Yup, everyone pretty much hated the commies. Back then, people didn't realize that Fascists were actually worse.
Historically, France offered to actively intervene on Finland's behalf during the Winter War. IIRC the Finns turned them down when they relaized France didn't actually have all the troops they claimed they could send. This was probably for the best, as there is no telling what might have happened if an Allied country had ended up at war with the Soviets at that particular point...

As Germany I had a game where after I destoyed the UK and bitter peaced the USSR the US sent me the event peace to end the meaningless war, they immediately decleared war on the USSR (who had only about 30 divs left) and landed in Vladivostok thus taking the USSR far east and Manchuria and Korea from Japan.
After 1 year Italy dowd the USSR and the US started the revange war against me.
It was the real start of WW3 just a year after WW2.
After defeating and annexing the USSR I had to fight both in America (landed in the meanwhile) and in Siberia against the US. Was a real fun game.

Yup, everyone pretty much hated the commies. Back then, people didn't realize that Fascists were actually worse.
Historically, France offered to actively intervene on Finland's behalf during the Winter War. IIRC the Finns turned them down when they relaized France didn't actually have all the troops they claimed they could send. This was probably for the best, as there is no telling what might have happened if an Allied country had ended up at war with the Soviets at that particular point...

Well, being a Finn and all, I was always told at school that Finland accepted all help it was offered, but didn't take it all really seriously. Finns knew that French or British were not going to risk war to save one doomed country few have heard of, so Finland kept up the hopes to give morale to the people. But when deciding when to end the war, the Western Allies played little role. IIRC the possibility of foreign intervention had much more impact on Stalin, who didn't want risk war with the West.

Surely being communist is a huge disadvantage :D I remembered that SU only had 5 belli points back then, while I have 15 (and that's even after the peace with Lithuania). Still people came join my side :)) I didn't play that game anymore 'cause having a huge alliance makes Germany such an un-challenging country to play.
But I think the dev teams must do something about this weird kind of DoW and alliance?

One more thing is after I make peace with Lithuania (we don't have any land border, so it's just nonsense to continue the war), I used acceptall to make peace with SU but they just cancel the peace treaty right after that (even when I hadn't attacked them). Anyway to change that?

No need to get dramatic is there?

Well he clearly pointed out his own ignorance towards the country.

If your going to play a paradox game know the countries names.

But remember, if Yugoslavia join your alliance, they'll betray you. If you enter a war with Allies, they'll get an event and then join the Allies. So beware.
And yes, it's normal. Almost every baltic state (Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, etc.) and Nat. Spain, Italy and maybe Portugal will join the Axis. Pretty decent allies. If you want Japan to join I guess you have to do it manually. ;)

But remember, if Yugoslavia join your alliance, they'll betray you. If you enter a war with Allies, they'll get an event and then join the Allies. So beware.
And yes, it's normal. Almost every baltic state (Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, etc.) and Nat. Spain, Italy and maybe Portugal will join the Axis. Pretty decent allies. If you want Japan to join I guess you have to do it manually. ;)

in DH yugoslavia dont betray you always they have a event for that and they can choose if i remeber corretly.

Remember tho, that with the Japanese in the Axis you need to occupy Vladivostok as well to trigger the bitter peace event. Without them it is "just" the western territories.