+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 130 FirstFirst ... 6 31 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 81 106 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2588

Thread: Quick modding questions

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sincleric View Post
    Being that I am using the St. Lawrence to connect the lakes to the Atlantic, I had to cover up an entire river. Is that bad?

I am not using a brush, I use the pencil tool. It takes the exact color I want, and adds it in on exactly the pixel I click on. I edit each pixel one at a time, to ensure no goof-ups. But the tool/program are not to blame for the issue, this I know. I have edited dozens of province shapes, with no problems whatsoever. I even changed the coastlines in provinces.bmp with no issues at all; my boats can go into the great lakes with ease. The only issue is the jagged pixel-looking coastlines. It is almost as if the ocean is drawn in squares on top of the land, and it is extremely ugly.

This is what I am trying to fix. To make it pretty. The game works fine, but the aesthetics for my custom provinces are horrible
    Rivers have specific colour-coded pixels at the mouths and confluences. If you haven't taken them into account, that could be the problem.

Somebody posted a guide to river pixels over here:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-version/page4
    Nationality: British
    Religion: Sikh
    Ideology: Some nebulous liberal nonsense
    Issues: Civil Rights, Environmentalism, technology
    Current Occupation: University Student! Upgrade!

MODS: CK2 High-res Mountains EU3 Deg Tegh Fateh (suspended) Painterly CK2 EUIV Visual Enhancement Mod

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman786 View Post
    Since our resident modding expert jdrou is here, I have a question which relates to Sincleric's: why does the rivers.bmp file always crash?
    I've never really done anything with graphical/map changes.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition

Since our resident modding expert jdrou is here, I have a question which relates to Sincleric's: why does the rivers.bmp file always crash?
    Since Jdrou declined I will try to help.

EDITED TO FIX SOME TYPOS

Problems with rivers happen in two different ways:

1) the game loads but a river or rivers don't display - this is caused by the river not having a correct green start and a correct pink or red end or because the river has a missing piece breaking the connection from beginning to end.

2) the game crashes due to rivers. This can happen due to four things

a) you saved the file upside down ( probably not a problem when using DW as the file is saved with North at the top unlike older versions)

b) one or more of your rivers is more than 1 pixel wide. The rivers have to be 1 pixel and only 1 pixel wide.

c) you used invalid colors. You can only use the colors already on the map and the colors have to be exact.

d) The most common problem is that the file uses an index and some graphic programs turn the file to normal rgb mode by default. The same problem happens when you want to use layers so you can trace your province.bmp borders to get your rivers or terrain borders to match. You can't use layers on a index file - you have to change to rgb mode to use layers and then when done delete the layers and change back to index mode and connect the correct index data to the file. I have a post in the map mod guide on how to do this when using photoshop cs2.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHeir to the Throne
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by 17blue17 View Post
    index
    This is probably the problem. According to this thread in the PDN forums, all I have to do is save as a PNG and then change the extention to BMP, which will index it. Or something. I'm gonna give it a shot and report back.

Blog Entries
    This is probably the problem. According to this thread in the PDN forums, all I have to do is save as a PNG and then change the extention to BMP, which will index it. Or something. I'm gonna give it a shot and report back.
    In Photoshop standard saves with ctrl-s will keep the index intact.

MODS: CK2 High-res Mountains EU3 Deg Tegh Fateh (suspended) Painterly CK2 EUIV Visual Enhancement Mod

Didn't work. I made sure not to use layers, and saved as a BMP, and that didn't work either. Is there any free program that indexes BMP files for me?

In Photoshop standard saves with ctrl-s will keep the index intact.
    Is Photoshop Standard free? Where can I get it?
    Last edited by Sincleric; 26-06-2012 at 02:04.

Blog Entries
    Is Photoshop Standard fre? Where can I get it?
    Heheh, it's not Photoshop Standard. I meant 'standard saves with photoshop'.

Try Gimp? Most people seem to use that. Just make sure to turn on safe search on Google, lol...

Heheh, it's not Photoshop Standard. I meant 'standard saves with photoshop'.

Try Gimp? Most people seem to use that. Just make sure to turn on safe search on Google, lol...
    I've got Gimp. Of all the image editing programs I have used, it is by far my most hated. For some reason it stayed on my computer and I still have it... I'll give it a try.

I've got Gimp. Of all the image editing programs I have used, it is by far my most hated. For some reason it stayed on my computer and I still have it... I'll give it a try.
    It works! I am so happy!

Maybe too happy. Thanks for all your help guys!

Second Lieutenant discoarsonist's Avatar
    Europa Universalis: Chronicles

I'm trying to figure out how to change the missionary chance. I've poked around and can't find it, let alone ways to modify it.

What I'd like to do ideally is make it so missionary chance in a certain region is, say, doubled, if you're Muslim or Catholic. Possible? Impossible?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by discoarsonist View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to change the missionary chance. I've poked around and can't find it, let alone ways to modify it.

What I'd like to do ideally is make it so missionary chance in a certain region is, say, doubled, if you're Muslim or Catholic. Possible? Impossible?
    Create a modifier which increases missionary chance, and have it appear by event in the regions you want. Make sure to create a flag so that it can quickly re-appear after changing hands.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

FYI

Several posts back we discussed bad pixels and you mentioned you cropped and maybe ended up with bad pixels.

I learned something yesterday that is maybe useful. I use photoshop CS2 and when I free transform (and also for crop?) the program defaults to bicubic rather than nearest neighbor which goofs up all the colors. If you open photoshop CS2 and maybe other versions and choose the edit tab then preferences then general you can set the program wide default to nearest neighbor rather than bicubic at which point free transform and hopefully crop will no longer goof the colors up.
    Yes, I think I answered to that saying that the colours match. What the game does now is to refer provinces which I already deleted from the game and from the map. I deleted all references to province 725 in the mod folder, yet the game still says it is missing. I will make some more investigation in the weekend - I have to study for an exam now

I think I will open a thread to keep track of my map experiences.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

What does "major = yes" mean in the triggers?
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition

Quote Originally Posted by George LeS View Post
    What does "major = yes" mean in the triggers?
    I think it means all tags hear the event happened. Like Protestant is available.

Blog Entries
    I think it means all tags hear the event happened. Like Protestant is available.
    Do undiscovered countries hear about it? eg. if a 'major = yes' event happened in the capital of France in 1420, would Japan hear about it?

Командир Батаљона DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

It works! I am so happy!

Maybe too happy. Thanks for all your help guys!
    Just one small warning: seas in EU3 are not meant to be used as rivers or canals. Although that might look like what you want, if you use the nearby sea province to paint the river/canal in provinces.bmp, it will cause some weirdness. For example, enemy will be able to land their troops via sea in ANY land province bordering the sea province you used.

Do undiscovered countries hear about it? eg. if a 'major = yes' event happened in the capital of France in 1420, would Japan hear about it?
    Did you ever play as one of the American nations? If you did, were there notifications of things like peasant wars, time of troubles etc from Europe? If there werent, then i guess only discovered countries get the pop up.
    Go Russia, kick some fascist butts!

Clinically diagnosed russophile, scourge of self righteous Westerners.

The Paradox script docs from HTT say major = yes means that quote:

Syntax: major = yes / no
    When yes, thisevent is major and all players will get a popup with information about it.

So it is more an informational message received by all "Players" by which I assume human but I am not sure.

Second Lieutenant discoarsonist's Avatar
    Europa Universalis: Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by DanubianCossak View Post
    Just one small warning: seas in EU3 are not meant to be used as rivers or canals. Although that might look like what you want, if you use the nearby sea province to paint the river/canal in provinces.bmp, it will cause some weirdness. For example, enemy will be able to land their troops via sea in ANY land province bordering the sea province you used.
    This could be pretty easily solved by just making a new sea province for the river, couldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by DanubianCossak View Post
    Oh yes, I know all that. I split the St. Lawrence river between Lake Ontario and the Gulf of St. Lawrence to make the landing abilities more believable. I'm too lazy to add a whole new province just for the river at this moment in time, and it doesn't really make much sense to do so anyway. If you want to stop landings, just occupy the gulf.

I might make the river its own province when I get back to modding the map, but for now it works fine as it is.

Blog Entries
    Just for fun:

Can a global 'comet sighted' type event be made? Or regional natural disaster events?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 130 FirstFirst ... 6 31 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 81 106 ... LastLast