+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 130 FirstFirst ... 19 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 69 94 119 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 2599

Thread: Quick modding questions

  1. #861
    Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,613
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrou View Post
    I think in most cases things can use THIS and when they can't if you report it as a bug it seems to eventually get fixed. So in a province event you should be able to use things like owner = { controls = THIS }. (Other special parameters like FROM/current/capital/owner/emperor are not as universal although FROM is probably intended to be.) There's also the province-scope trigger controlled_by = owner which you could use in capital_scope for example.
    Thanks.
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

    GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

    Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

  2. #862
    Lt. General ANO1453's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    by Jove, who cares?
    Posts
    1,430
    OK, trying out new decision, bit by bit, and I narrowed down the problem to somewhere in here:
    Code:
    	effect = { 
    		prestige = 0.1
    		WIC = { add_core = {	
    			any_owned_province = { 
    				region = the_carribean 
    				is_core = THIS } } } 
    		release = WIC
    		WIC = { primary_culture = THIS
    				religion = THIS }
    		secede_province = { any_owned_province = {
    				limit = { region = the_carribean } }
    				= WIC }
    		add_to_sphere = WIC
    		} } }
    What is missing? When I had this to a current decision, it creates a new decision named "secede_province_title", without contents. The intended decision displays +10 prestige and WIC = gain core on any/all (also, not the intended effect).
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

  3. #863
    Field Marshal jdrou's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    22,665
    Quote Originally Posted by ANO1453 View Post
    What is missing? When I had this to a current decision, it creates a new decision named "secede_province_title", without contents. The intended decision displays +10 prestige and WIC = gain core on any/all (also, not the intended effect).
    Basically it's a mess ; you're confusing triggers, effects, and scope-changers. You need to look at the scripting docs and the existing code more closely.
    You need something like this:
    Code:
    	effect = { 
    		prestige = 0.1
    		any_owned = {
    			limit = { 
    				region = the_carribean 
    				is_core = THIS
    			}
    			add_core = WIC  # only in v5.2;  WIC = { add_core = current } might also work
    		} 
    		release = WIC  # might need to move this to after the culture change
    		WIC = {
     			primary_culture = THIS
    			religion = THIS
    		}
    	# I believe this section is only needed to give WIC provinces you don't have cores on
    		any_owned = { 
    			limit = { region = the_carribean }
    			secede_province = WIC
    		}
    		add_to_sphere = WIC
    	}
    Last edited by jdrou; 14-05-2012 at 23:23.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

    Playing EU4

    Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

  4. #864
    Field Marshal Dafool's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, USA
    Posts
    3,984
    Alright, I'm wondering if someone here can give me a detailed walkthrough of how to make changes to the terrain and rivers files. My problem isn't so much that I don't know what I'm doing, but it's more that I'm just getting very random results as I'm making changes. After several tries I've managed to remove a couple of islands and one lake that shouldn't exist, but now I'm trying to move around a few other lakes that are already on the map. After making the same kind of changes I'm getting crashes as the game loads. I've tried looking for a guide for the process, but most of them are outdated and rather incomplete. Any help would be much appreciated.

  5. #865
    Publicly Certified 17blue17's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafool View Post
    Alright, I'm wondering if someone here can give me a detailed walkthrough of how to make changes to the terrain and rivers files. My problem isn't so much that I don't know what I'm doing, but it's more that I'm just getting very random results as I'm making changes. After several tries I've managed to remove a couple of islands and one lake that shouldn't exist, but now I'm trying to move around a few other lakes that are already on the map. After making the same kind of changes I'm getting crashes as the game loads. I've tried looking for a guide for the process, but most of them are outdated and rather incomplete. Any help would be much appreciated.

    Read the three following items:

    1) Rivers can only be one pixel wide and yes the only colors allowed are the ones already on the rivers.bmp as they are hard coded to work with the exe. A green pixel starts a river. To end a river you have the choice of using a red pixel or ending the river in the pink sea.

    Where two rivers meet one needs to end with a red pixel next to the other river.

    So If B = blue and R = red and G = green

    G
    B
    BRBBBBBBBBBBBG
    B
    B
    R


    The shades of blue are supposed to make the river look smaller or wider and faster but due to the change in scale from HTT to DW where the map got three times larger but the rivers still remained only one pixel wide I now just use the dark blue color to make the rivers show better in game.

    For a river to work it all has to be connected - no missing gaps.

    The river.bmp file is like the terrain.bmp in that they both have color index tables (index color mode). So if you change the file to standard rgb (RGB color mode) you need to change it back before saving - please read item 2 below relating to this.

    2) The following helps explain how to work with index files under photoshop. Someone should be able to translate it in to gimp.

    See post 168 Using layers with Terrain.bmp, Rivers.bmp and Topology.bmp in the following thread ( I can't seem to get the link to go to the exact post)

    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...=1#post9890977

    3) Some additional information about terrain.bmp in DW. Make sure to read item 2 above first. Then read post 231 in the thread below:

    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post12366230
    Last edited by 17blue17; 15-05-2012 at 08:39.

  6. #866
    Field Marshal Dafool's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, USA
    Posts
    3,984
    Thanks for the information. Most of that I found in previous searches, but a bit of it was new. I've managed to do some basic work with the terrain and river files, but something I'm doing when moving these lakes around is causing problems. I'm pretty sure the rivers file is fine, mainly because it's a fairly straight forward edit. My guess is that something I'm doing with the terrain file is causing the crash. I've been directly using the colors from it to fill in the "holes" left over by the lakes, so I don't think that's the problem, although I'm not sure. Perhaps it's simply some peculiarity of GIMP that I'm not familiar with.

  7. #867
    Publicly Certified 17blue17's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafool View Post
    Thanks for the information. Most of that I found in previous searches, but a bit of it was new. I've managed to do some basic work with the terrain and river files, but something I'm doing when moving these lakes around is causing problems. I'm pretty sure the rivers file is fine, mainly because it's a fairly straight forward edit. My guess is that something I'm doing with the terrain file is causing the crash. I've been directly using the colors from it to fill in the "holes" left over by the lakes, so I don't think that's the problem, although I'm not sure. Perhaps it's simply some peculiarity of GIMP that I'm not familiar with.
    About the only thing you can do wrong is 1) save the file upside down from DW standard and 2) goof up the index tables which is why I gave the link to working with the index tables. Moving a lake should not cause a crash. Not understanding the index tables and then changing the files to standard RGB so you can use layers can goof things up.

    So read my last post again. It is current for DW.

  8. #868
    Field Marshal Dafool's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, USA
    Posts
    3,984
    Well, I think I've found the problem (hopefully). When making changes with GIMP it seems to automatically switch the file from indexed to RGB. Rivers did not have this problem, but it's happening repeatedly when I try it with terrain. I'm not personally familiar enough with GIMP to know how to correct that, so hopefully someone here who is can explain how to fix it.

  9. #869
    Publicly Certified 17blue17's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafool View Post
    Well, I think I've found the problem (hopefully). When making changes with GIMP it seems to automatically switch the file from indexed to RGB. Rivers did not have this problem, but it's happening repeatedly when I try it with terrain. I'm not personally familiar enough with GIMP to know how to correct that, so hopefully someone here who is can explain how to fix it.
    Maybe you are trying to use a layer to trace the new lake location and gimp knows it has to switch to rgb to do this. This is ok if you understand how to put it back. My one post explains how to do that in photoshop - I don't know how to save a table and then load the table back using gimp.

  10. #870
    Field Marshal Dafool's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, USA
    Posts
    3,984
    I've simply been drawing the new lakes myself without the use of any new layers, so I know that isn't the cause of the problem. In fact, I can open a functioning copy of terrain, make absolutely no changes, create a new copy of terrain from it, and then it will be converted to RGB automatically.

    *EDIT*

    Well, after a lot messing around in GIMP's options I've found out how to prevent it from converting images to RGB instead of keeping them as indexed. Thanks a lot though for the help though. I doubt I would have investigated it that far without a bit of guidance.
    Last edited by Dafool; 15-05-2012 at 09:43.

  11. #871
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafool View Post
    I've simply been drawing the new lakes myself without the use of any new layers, so I know that isn't the cause of the problem. In fact, I can open a functioning copy of terrain, make absolutely no changes, create a new copy of terrain from it, and then it will be converted to RGB automatically.

    *EDIT*

    Well, after a lot messing around in GIMP's options I've found out how to prevent it from converting images to RGB instead of keeping them as indexed. Thanks a lot though for the help though. I doubt I would have investigated it that far without a bit of guidance.
    As I work in Gimp as well, can you please give me a pointer in how to prevent Gimp from auto switching to RGB. I was having similar issues with index files working in a custom map. There is a work around that works fine for custom maps but I'd rather not have Gimp switching to RGB in the 1st place when I'm not using layers.

  12. #872
    Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,613
    I'm having trouble with "navy_size_percentage". When I set it to 2, it triggered when there were just 110 ships with a FL of 80. What is the correct syntax? I tested 100, and it did not trigger. That is inconsistent with both possibilities, 1 = 100% and 100 = 100%. What is the right way?
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

    GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

    Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

  13. #873
    Major kepler's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sardinia-Piedmont
    Posts
    539
    I have a question for my personal interest since I'm not really into modding...

    Is there something like global variables in EU3? Or must every new variable be tied to a country/tag?
    Say you want something to behave like Imperial Authority, how would you do it?

    Thanks!
    "The path to knighthood is paved with strength and nobility not LSD and sideburns." - Black Knight

  14. #874
    Lt. General ANO1453's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    by Jove, who cares?
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrou View Post
    Basically it's a mess ; you're confusing triggers, effects, and scope-changers. You need to look at the scripting docs and the existing code more closely.
    You need something like this:
    Code:
    	effect = { 
    		prestige = 0.1
    		any_owned = {
    			limit = { 
    				region = the_carribean 
    				is_core = THIS
    			}
    			add_core = WIC  # only in v5.2;  WIC = { add_core = current } might also work
    		} 
    		release = WIC  # might need to move this to after the culture change
    		WIC = {
     			primary_culture = THIS
    			religion = THIS
    		}
    	# I believe this section is only needed to give WIC provinces you don't have cores on
    		any_owned = { 
    			limit = { region = the_carribean }
    			secede_province = WIC
    		}
    		add_to_sphere = WIC
    	}
    By some reason it doesn't creates cores.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

  15. #875
    Field Marshal jdrou's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    22,665
    Quote Originally Posted by ANO1453 View Post
    By some reason it doesn't creates cores.
    Are you running the 5.2 beta patch? If not, did you try the alternate add_core code I gave?
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

    Playing EU4

    Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

  16. #876

  17. #877
    Field Marshal chatnoir17's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDivine WindSengokuVictoria 2
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CL Final
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by kepler View Post
    Is there something like global variables in EU3? Or must every new variable be tied to a country/tag?
    Say you want something to behave like Imperial Authority, how would you do it?
    You can control such a global variable as a variable in a certain province (f.e. "the prestige of the Sunni caliph" in Cairo province), but affects all countries in the world.
    Monumenta Iaponiae Historica : total improvement mod for Sengoku (ver.0.6832:updated on 23.11.2012)
    Additional Scenarios (1180, 1561, 1582 and 1600), More Historical Characters and Rebalancing
    General description about MIH for non registered forum users is here in Sengoku main forum

    Mod for EU4: Pax Sinica (East Asia Mod)/Bella Iaponica (Japan Mod)/ Bookmarks
    Three Mods for CK2
    :Bookmarks/ Climate Classification/Hedeby Republic

    Sweden in a Japanese game: AAR of Koei's Genghis Khan IV

  18. #878
    Lt. General ANO1453's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    by Jove, who cares?
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrou View Post
    Are you running the 5.2 beta patch? If not, did you try the alternate add_core code I gave?
    I did, but it didn't work.

    Maybe this picture gives some insight?
    Attached Images
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

  19. #879
    Publicly Certified 17blue17's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,861
    Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post
    What does country_colors.txt file do?
    It controls the colors of the countries soldier uniforms. I think one number is for the hat, another the pants, and the third for the middle but not positive which number does which part. I am also not sure if this is still true for DW or not.

  20. #880
    Field Marshal jdrou's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    22,665
    Quote Originally Posted by ANO1453 View Post
    I did, but it didn't work.
    Probably current doesn't work then. This is why they added the add_core = tag form in 5.2.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

    Playing EU4

    Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 130 FirstFirst ... 19 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 69 94 119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts