+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 130 FirstFirst ... 20 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 70 95 120 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick modding questions

Командир Батаљона DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by kepler View Post
    I have a question for my personal interest since I'm not really into modding...

Is there something like global variables in EU3? Or must every new variable be tied to a country/tag?
    Say you want something to behave like Imperial Authority, how would you do it?

Thanks!
    There are different kind of "variables" as you call them.

In EU3 terminology, i think more appropriate term would be modifiers.

The most basic ones are in definies.txt. They contain the "hard" information that is used to create the EU3 world.

Then you have static_modifiers.txt which contains more advanced stuff, like bonuses or penalties for different difficulty levels, stability, legitimacy, all that "soft" stuff superimposed once the world is created.

After that you have triggered modifiers (self explained).

And then you have modifiers that are assigned by events and stuff, those are located in event_modifiers.txt.

First and second group, you cannot create, you can remove (although that will almost certainly screw the game up) and you can alter. That means you can change their effects, but changing them (as in renaming etc) or removing them is not recommended.

Third group you can manipulate as you like, however it does take some skill and experience.

And fourth group you can do as you like, add, remove, modify, everything is allowed. However, note that every time you create an event (for example) that gives the triggered country a modifier, and that modifier does not exist in event_modifiers.txt, game will crash to desktop. I strongly recommend against removing any of the existing ones, unless you know EXACTLY what youre doing.
    Там тебе привольней, песня…
    Ты туда и улетай!

I would like to make an event that causes a province on your border with a nation (or nations) you have good relations with that increases the base tax of said province (to make a reason to have good relations with people who aren't just your vassals/allies) but I'm not good enough at messing with scopes to know how to make it.

Any help?

Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Never mind.
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

Quote Originally Posted by Slym View Post
    I would like to make an event that causes a province on your border with a nation (or nations) you have good relations with that increases the base tax of said province (to make a reason to have good relations with people who aren't just your vassals/allies) but I'm not good enough at messing with scopes to know how to make it.

Any help?
    To reduce the late game spam caused by province events, this one was worded as country event instead. It means it will trigger less often, but you wont get spammed by it either. If you want additional modifiers add them yourself.

Code:
    ##################################################################################################################
    #		Slym's event
    ##################################################################################################################

country_event = {
    	id = 80000

trigger = {
    		any_owned_province = {
    			is_core = THIS
    			any_neighbor_province = {
    				NOT = { owned_by = THIS }
    				owner = { relation = { who = THIS value = 185 } }
    				owner = { is_lesser_in_union = no }
    				owner = { is_subject = no }
    			}			
    		}
    	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
    		months = 5000

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.9
    			war = no
    		}	
    	}

title = 	"EVTNAME80000"
    	desc = 		"EVTDESC80000"

option = {
    		name = 	"EVTOPTA80000"
    		ai_chance = { factor = 100 }
    		random_owned = {
    			limit = { 
    				any_neighbor_province = {
    					NOT = { owned_by = THIS }
    					owner = { relation = { who = THIS value = 185 } }
    					owner = { is_lesser_in_union = no }
    					owner = { is_subject = no }
    				}
    			}
    			base_tax = 1
    		}
    	}	
    }
    Ты туда и улетай!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I need a bit of help with an event I'm working on. It's part one of a two part defection chain and therefore it should fire for the owner and then trigger an event that cedes it to the controller. The trigger needs to be that the province is occupied, the controller has the Steppe Horde government, and that the controller owns an adjacent province. I'd imagine the first trigger would be something like
    Code:
    NOT = { controlled_by = THIS }
    controller = { government = steppe_horde }
    but I don't know how to check that the controller owns an adjacent province. Perhaps
    Code:
    controller = { any_neighbor_province = { owned_by = THIS } }
    or maybe
    Code:
    any_neighbor_province = { owned_by = controller}
    Does anyone know the proper way of creating that trigger?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by chatnoir17
    You can control such a global variable as a variable in a certain province (f.e. "the prestige of the Sunni caliph" in Cairo province), but affects all countries in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanubianCossak
    There are different kind of "variables" as you call them.

In EU3 terminology, i think more appropriate term would be modifiers.

The most basic ones are in definies.txt. They contain the "hard" information that is used to create the EU3 world.

Then you have static_modifiers.txt which contains more advanced stuff, like bonuses or penalties for different difficulty levels, stability, legitimacy, all that "soft" stuff superimposed once the world is created.

After that you have triggered modifiers (self explained).

And then you have modifiers that are assigned by events and stuff, those are located in event_modifiers.txt.

First and second group, you cannot create, you can remove (although that will almost certainly screw the game up) and you can alter. That means you can change their effects, but changing them (as in renaming etc) or removing them is not recommended.

Third group you can manipulate as you like, however it does take some skill and experience.

And fourth group you can do as you like, add, remove, modify, everything is allowed. However, note that every time you create an event (for example) that gives the triggered country a modifier, and that modifier does not exist in event_modifiers.txt, game will crash to desktop. I strongly recommend against removing any of the existing ones, unless you know EXACTLY what youre doing.
    Thanks very much for all of your explanations.
    In fact my question was about proper variables. What would be the difference from using a province variable instead of using a country variable belonging to a country created just for that (like VAR or something)?
    "The path to knighthood is paved with strength and nobility not LSD and sideburns." - Black Knight

Im sorry but i dont understand what you mean.
    Ты туда и улетай!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDivine WindSengokuVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by kepler View Post
    Thanks very much for all of your explanations.
    In fact my question was about proper variables. What would be the difference from using a province variable instead of using a country variable belonging to a country created just for that (like VAR or something)?
    Basically same, however I guess variables for countries don't work if these countries aren't existing in the play. So using variables by Revels or Pirates would be a solution for that, since they are always existing in game.
    Monumenta Iaponiae Historica : total improvement mod for Sengoku (ver.0.6832:updated on 23.11.2012)
    Additional Scenarios (1180, 1561, 1582 and 1600), More Historical Characters and Rebalancing
    General description about MIH for non registered forum users is here in Sengoku main forum

Mod for EU4: Pax Sinica (East Asia Mod)/Bella Iaponica (Japan Mod)/ Bookmarks
    Three Mods for CK2
    :Bookmarks/ Climate Classification/Hedeby Republic

Sweden in a Japanese game: AAR of Koei's Genghis Khan IV

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club

I understand there are not proper global variables in EU3, right?

My question is about the pros and cons (if any) of implementing them as a province variable (eg administration efficiency in InExtenso) against using a country variable (eg Claim On Area in D&T) created for an apposite tag used to store this variable. In these examples it's obvious what to choose.
    But using the above example by chatnoir17 I'm asking the difference between setting a variable prestige_of_caliph in Cairo or creating a new tag called CAL (or something) and giving it a variable called prestige_of_caliph.

EDIT: just read the answer by chatnoir17, thanks.
    "The path to knighthood is paved with strength and nobility not LSD and sideburns." - Black Knight

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

OK, decision is working but... I followed all steps to create a new country (flag, history, etc.) yet it comes up as nogovernment and no_government ruler.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

Where do I change number of colonists a nation starts with? I removed the yearly colonist gain for all christians to avoid the Americas and Africa getting cluttered by nations who shouldn't colonize, but now I noticed that Sweden doesn't colonize Lappland and Novgorod doesn't colonize Kola. I'd like to give them 2-3 colonists at the start but I don't know how to.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Nessaj View Post
    Where do I change number of colonists a nation starts with? I removed the yearly colonist gain for all christians to avoid the Americas and Africa getting cluttered by nations who shouldn't colonize, but now I noticed that Sweden doesn't colonize Lappland and Novgorod doesn't colonize Kola. I'd like to give them 2-3 colonists at the start but I don't know how to.
    Make a event for those countries that gives them colonists at start.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourLead and GoldMajesty II CollectionSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    In my Mare Nostrum mod which as a new map I get CTD in the first day after unpausing. According to validator everything seems ok. There is not any event and decision also. In debugged mode, error.log has these:

Code:
    [provincetemplate.cpp:283]: WARNING: origo is wrong for Any/All n: 0 maybe it has no pixels?
    [trigger.cpp:461]: Unknown trigger-type north_america in achievements\achievements.txt line : 100
    [trigger.cpp:461]: Unknown trigger-type AZT in achievements\achievements.txt line : 113
    [trigger.cpp:461]: Unknown trigger-type FRA in achievements\achievements.txt line : 140
    [trigger.cpp:461]: Unknown trigger-type the_carribean in achievements\achievements.txt line : 267
    [trigger.cpp:461]: Unknown trigger-type indian_region in achievements\achievements.txt line : 324
    [trigger.cpp:461]: Unknown trigger-type europe in achievements\achievements.txt line : 365
    [trigger.cpp:461]: Unknown trigger-type TAI in achievements\achievements.txt line : 745
    [trigger.cpp:461]: Unknown trigger-type africa in achievements\achievements.txt line : 827
    [trigger.cpp:461]: Unknown trigger-type CHE in achievements\achievements.txt line : 852
    [trigger.cpp:461]: Unknown trigger-type europe in achievements\achievements.txt line : 888
    [country.cpp:2251]: NAT had no default sub-unit defined for 'Infantry' Assigning Latin Medieval Infantry
    [country.cpp:2251]: NAT had no default sub-unit defined for 'Cavalry' Assigning Latin Knights
    [country.cpp:2251]: PIR had no default sub-unit defined for 'Infantry' Assigning Latin Medieval Infantry
    [country.cpp:2251]: PIR had no default sub-unit defined for 'Cavalry' Assigning Latin Knights
    [country.cpp:2251]: REB had no default sub-unit defined for 'Infantry' Assigning Latin Medieval Infantry
    [country.cpp:2251]: REB had no default sub-unit defined for 'Cavalry' Assigning Latin Knights

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourLead and GoldMajesty II CollectionSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight

Blog Entries
    Probably I get CTDs because of the positions. When I deleted all lines in positions.txt, I do not get ctd. Before the delete, there are lake and sea positions and some province positions in it.

Do very small text scales (such as 0.2) cause problem?

How could positions cause CTD?

Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post
    Probably I get CTDs because of the positions. When I deleted all lines in positions.txt, I do not get ctd. Before the delete, there are lake and sea positions and some province positions in it.

Do very small text scales (such as 0.2) cause problem?

]
    If ports are too far away from land, they could cause a CTD. I've altered provices and had ports in the wrong province (easy to do)

I haven't had a problem with small text scales but I never went below 0.8 yet. However in wasteland lakes, the game won't even load for me without a text for that province, even though its not in continents.regions or anywhere else. Its more likely a unit out of bounds of the province. 17blue17 has pointed out that if a country text ever touches PTI, the game will CTD as well.

Have you run the map checker yet? Its available in post #9 of this thread.
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...efore-posting! TO get it to work in DW, you need to flip the province map upside down AND also delete (saving a back up) all text below regions = region.txt in default.map Otherwise it won't load the DW map to check it. This gives more map related errors than debug mode.

There may also be a problem with unit points being to close to test in sea provinces.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post

Two kinds of positions that can cause CTD:

1) A soldier unit position outside of its province can cause a CTD. Debug mode should mark these as needing to be fixed.

2) If the position of a port is too close to the unit position in a sea then the game will CTD when ever a ship enters or leaves the port. Note: If a sea does not have a unit position then the game defaults the unit position to the seas text position. Debug mode WILL NOT find these. Only way to know if such a problem exists is to turn off all ship building in technology.txt and see if the crashes stop

Also a province port located in another land province might cause a CTD when the port tries to build a ship on land but I am not sure.

I do not think city, trade, or manufactury positions can cause a CTDs.

Does anyone know why my new country is not connecting with its history file? The name matches with the tag, yet when I release it, it never has the government type nor any other of the options I made in the history file.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

Post the content of country's history file here, you probably messed something up, like government =.
    Ты туда и улетай!

Quote Originally Posted by DanubianCossak View Post
    Post the content of country's history file here, you probably messed something up, like government =.
    Code:
    government = company
    aristocracy_plutocracy = 3
    centralization_decentralization = -2
    innovative_narrowminded = -2
    mercantilism_freetrade = -4
    offensive_defensive = 0
    land_naval = 2
    quality_quantity = -2
    serfdom_freesubjects = 3
    technology_group = western
    primary_culture = hannoverian
    religion = catholic
    historical_friend = TEU
    historical_friend = LIV
    capital = 45	# Lübeck
    It still looks like this because I copied it from Hansa. Just changed the government type to Company - but it's not just that, it's also technology group and slider positions which also aren't recognised.
    (company on governments file:
    Code:
    company = {
    	republic = yes

valid_for_new_country = no

adm_efficiency = 1.15

duration = 5

allowed_conversion = {
    	}

minimum_policy = {
    		aristocracy_plutocracy = 2
    	}
    	maximum_policy = {
    		centralization_decentralization = 0
    	}
    maximum_policy = {
    		mercantilism_freetrade = 0
    	}

republican_name = yes
    	royal_marriage = no

#bonus
    	trade_efficiency = 0.1
    	global_trade_income_modifier = 0.15
    	global_cot_gravity = 20
    	merchant_cost = -0.15
    	officials = 0.66
    }

The government type works fine, I tried it in-game by using cheats.

I'm using the last beta patch, by the way.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redgreen99 View Post
    ]
    If ports are too far away from land, they could cause a CTD. I've altered provices and had ports in the wrong province (easy to do)

I haven't had a problem with small text scales but I never went below 0.8 yet. However in wasteland lakes, the game won't even load for me without a text for that province, even though its not in continents.regions or anywhere else. Its more likely a unit out of bounds of the province. 17blue17 has pointed out that if a country text ever touches PTI, the game will CTD as well.

Have you run the map checker yet? Its available in post #9 of this thread.
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...efore-posting! TO get it to work in DW, you need to flip the province map upside down AND also delete (saving a back up) all text below regions = region.txt in default.map Otherwise it won't load the DW map to check it. This gives more map related errors than debug mode.

There may also be a problem with unit points being to close to test in sea provinces.
    Thanks, I am trying map checker tool right now. After beginnig, it is using lots of CPU, and it says "this may take a long time". 2 minutes passed already.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 130 FirstFirst ... 20 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 70 95 120 ... LastLast