• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You will need to prioritise the capture of oil-rich provinces in Dutch East Indies. Considering the fact that you will have to use your navy and airforce extensively during your campaigns in the Pacific, your oil reserves are inadequate.

It has to be powerful on the defence. Its offensive capabilities should be poor at least in the first years of war, but I prefer a strong China than the pushover we used to get in HOI games.

IMO Chinese power levels are fine when the player is playing Japan, but it's too easy when the human player is playing as China and AI-vs-AI duels can be strange, too. I think that several things can be done about it. Let's start by preventing the whole China-swallows-the-warlords event to fire when the human player is playing as China. This alone should make the player's life more difficult. Moreover, I think that China is a bit too strong in the beginning, so it probably should start with a bit less GDE (but it should recover over several months and/or as it losses more territory). Additionally, the whole swallowing event could add more dissent, so that spamming militia would be harder at first.

We should be careful, though. If it becomes easy to beat the Chinese, then we will end up with Japan annexing China by 1938... again.

Yes, China is quite powerful since 1.01.

They are powerful yes but not overpowered. Look at historical Japanese advance into China, their advance was very limited. In all HOI games except for DH, we just marched into China without any real challenge. We ended the war in 1938 and prepared for war with USA for more than 3 years. Now, I fought 4 bloody years in China and still struggling to beat them before my attack on the Allies. That was one of the most intense campaigns I have ever played.

For Chinese human player, several penalties to China and some bonuses to Japan could be added. But I certainly don't want devs to make Chinese campaign easier for Japanese player. There is very good balance right now. In fact, I wouldn't say no to even little more harder campaign, in most of the campaign I just pushed Chinese back, If I leaned more towards encirclements, I may have destroyed them in 1940.

For Chinese human player, several penalties to China and some bonuses to Japan could be added. But I certainly don't want devs to make Chinese campaign easier for Japanese player. There is very good balance right now. In fact, I wouldn't say no to even little more harder campaign, in most of the campaign I just pushed Chinese back, If I leaned more towards encirclements, I may have destroyed them in 1940.
In regard to this, I think that the devs should focus on AI enhancements. While their counterattacks are great, there were several silly mistakes the Chinese made that cost them many divisions and/or IC lost.

Once the Commies fall, the remaining forces will be out of supplies, which will hopefully allow you to just starve them out without unnecessary Japanese casualties.

Naval build-up looks good. I am wondering how will the SHBBs fare against American carriers. I assume you'll have separate battleship and carrier fleets...?

I didn't see the second question in this post. My plan is to make them my puppet. I am extremely dependent on trade for resources. Puppet China will solve this problem to a large extent. Partisans and TC are also nightmare in occupied China. Puppet China that will provide troops and resources will worth my bloody 4 years of fight.

I agree, after all this carnage, a puppet China is probably the only solution that makes sense, gameplay-wise.

Once the Commies fall, the remaining forces will be out of supplies, which will hopefully allow you to just starve them out without unnecessary Japanese casualties.

Naval build-up looks good. I am wondering how will the SHBBs fare against American carriers. I assume you'll have separate battleship and carrier fleets...?

I agree, after all this carnage, a puppet China is probably the only solution that makes sense, gameplay-wise.

Yeah, I will use two battleship fleets and two carrier fleets. I showed my naval reorganization in this update : http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...of-the-Sun&p=12665978&viewfull=1#post12665978

I will use the same organization, new carriers, battleships and destroyers will be included in these fleets.

Are all these CVE Is even useful?

PART XXXV: FALL OF FRANCE

KqUCY.jpg

France signs the Armistice in the same rail carriage as Germany signed 1918 Armistice

April, 1941

Marshal Petain took power France and signed an armistice with Germany. According to the terms of armistice, France ceded the Atlantic and the Channel Coasts to Germany until the conclusion of hostilities with United Kingdom. British PM Churchill said that Britain will continue to fight until the very end.

NLvrw.jpg

We captured Luoyang. Chinese launched desperate offensive against Nanyang.

Gpp4p.jpg

Technological Researches

qEhim.jpg

Armaments Program

The latest armaments program was submitted to new Prime Minister Tojo Hideki. Our priority is now Navy and Airforce. We began construction of 4 carriers, 3 light cruiser and 3 destroyers. Construction of 3 battlecruisers Hiei, Kirishima and Kongo also resumed.

kLdlv.jpg

Japan, German and Italy signed Tripartite Pact today in Berlin. Our ambassador in Berlin Saburo Kurusu signed the pact in the name of Japanese Empire. PM Tojo Hideki wants to improve relations with Germany against Anglo-Saxons. First two articles of the agreemet as follows :

ARTICLE 1 :Japan recognizes and respects the leadership of Germany and Italy in the establishment of a new order in Europe.
ARTICLE 2 : Germany and Italy recognize and respect the leadership of Japan in the establishment of a new order in Greater East Asia.

fFNWh.jpg

Imperial Conference, Tokyo

Attendants :

+ Emperor Hirohito
+ PM Tojo Hideki
+ FM Togo Shigenori
+ Chief of IJN Yamamoto Isoroku

Emperor Hirohito : Prime Minister Tojo, I wanted you to hear recent developments of our situation in China and more importantly our relations with the Axis and United States.

PM Tojo : As you order His Majesty, In China, our offensive against Communists Headquarters Yan'an continues. We will break Chinese defenses soon and capture the supply depots Chinese had in Shaanxi pocket. After this, the destruction of the pocket will not take much time. Then, We can advance towards the West if necessary.

Emperor Hirohito : Well done General. Do you think that Chinese will surrender in near future ?

PM Tojo : His Majesty, even if Chiang continues to resist, we can defeat his remaining forces. Hundreds of thousands of Chinese soldiers died and deserted in the recent months. Chiang lost control of his forces. The question is that when will Chinese accept this fact and sue for peace. In my opinion, Chiang may be overthrown at any time and we can impose our conditions on China.

Emperor Hirohito : Good General, About Tripartite Pact, I was told by Foreign Minister that there is not any binding terms in the agreement for Japan but I want to hear from you more about your strategy.

PM Tojo : Yes his Majesty, Tripartite Pact is nothing like military alliance. According to the pact, Germany accepts our control over Asia and we accept German controlover Europe. We and Germany agreed to mutual spheres of interests. The world can now see Japan and Germany cooperating to destroy the status-quo of Britain and United States. Germany defeated France and may defeat Britain soon. Both France and Britain are hostile countries against us. They supported Chiang Kai-Shek in our holy war China. These countries did everything possible to prevent our victory over China. Colonial possessions of France and Britain in the Pacific also lies in our Greater East Asia Order. Victory of Germany over these countries may give us a chance to get these colonies and necessary resources from there. United States is also hostile towards Germany and possibility of alliance with Germany is our natural move to threaten United States. In the current situation, We are enveloped by Britain, the Netherlands and United States in the South. These countries are determined to stop our advance in China and to undermine our control in Manchuria and Korea. They refuse our companies to buy resources from their colonies. His Majesty, If we want to follow peaceful policy, the only way to deal with Anglo-Saxons would be to forge alliances with other revisionist countries. Power of Germany and Japan may convince United States to not interfere in the developments in Europe and Asia.

Emperor Hirohito : General, I understand your policy but I think it would be better for us to make negotiations with United States. I approve and favor your policy of alignment to Germany but I don't want to enter war against Americans after 4 years of war in China.

PM Tojo : If you wish so, I will do so His Majesty though I don't believe Americans will agree anything that is acceptable to us.

Yugoslavia joined the Axis.

YznsJ.jpg

Few days after Yugoslavia signed Tripartite Pact, anti-German coup overthrew the government and renounced Yugoslavian entry into the Axis.

AeoJY.jpg

May, 1941

Baoji was captured today.Battle of Yan'an continues. We are slowly overwhelmin the defenders. Losses on our side is very high.

yGS5s.jpg

Automedon Incident

British cargo ship was captured by German raider ship Atlantis near Sumatra Island. Germans obtained important documents about the defense of Singapore against Empire of Japan. Captain of Atlantis Bernhard Rogge realizing the importance of the documents, sent them to Tokyo. War Ministry began to examine the documents.

pBT2o.jpg

Wehrmacht began to pour into Yugoslavia today. No declaration of war was given to Yugoslavian government.

rXKwe.jpg

Pingliang was captured and we breached Chinese defenses in Yan'an. Chinese forces in Yan'an are retreating towards Tongquan.

UmVHW.jpg

Technological Researches

zcaTx.jpg

Italy declared war on Greece. Antonescu's Romania joined the Axis.

NDiwm.jpg

Royal Navy bombarded French Fleet at Mers-el Kebir fearing that it would fall into German hands. Royal Navy sunk 3 battleships

lxi1L.jpg

Eeek, the germans are a year late. Hopefully they can still beat the SU, or you will have serious trouble in Manchuria.

Fighting the Soviets might be fun actually. Getting the colonial possessions is a priority, though.

PART XXXVI: INVASION OF FRENCH INDOCHINA

8TntT.jpg

Japanese Army entering Saigon

May, 1941

Today, Japanese government delivered an ultimatum to French government demanding troop stationing rights in French Indochina. Prime Minister Tojo blamed French government for allowing Chinese rebels to take refuge in Indochina.

fiZIL.jpg

French refused our demands. Our forces began to enter into Indochina forcibly and defeated few French battalions. Few days later, French envoy arrived to negotiate. Prime Minister Tojo demanded stationing rights and withdrawal of French Army from Indochina. Under pressure of invasion, French government yielded to our demands.

ZbmDb.jpg

Following the invasion of French Indochina, Imperial Conference was held in Tokyo.

Emperor Hirohito : Prime Minister Tojo, I heard that French accepted our demands and our forces began to enter into Indochina. I want to congratulate you for this victory. Your bold stance in this matter forced the French to yield. What will happen in Indochina now, General ?

PM Tojo : His Majesty, Our forces began to enter into major cities without any resistance. We are capturing public buildings in Saigon and Hanoi. Local officials of French Puppet State accepted to cooperate with us. We will place pro-Japanese elements in the Indochinese government. We will also slowly dismantle French colonial system in Indochina. I can safely say that Indochina was integrated to Japanese Greater East Asian Order.

Emperor Hirohito : Good General Tojo. What benefits do you think we will obtain from Indochina ? What is the early reaction from United States ?

PM Tojo : His Majesty, possession of Indochina improved our strategic position greatly against Britain. Automedon Incident revealed some British preparations for war with us, so we should take possibility of war with Britain seriously. Airfield and port of Hanoi is very important for our strategic aims in the region. From Hanoi, we could easily make air and naval operations against Malaya and even possibly the Dutch East Indies. Another fruit of the invasion is rubber plantations all across Indochina. Rubber from Indochina will end our dependence on the Western countries for this material. And lastly, We are now neighbour to Thailand. Foreign Minister Togo will flow to Thailand tomorrow to start negotiations for entry of Thailand into Greater East Asian Order. Our pressure on Thai government may allow pro-Japanese groups to gain more power. American President Roosevelt protested our action angrily. We reached an agreement with the French but Roosevelt didn't want to understand this fact, he seems determined to destroy Japan.

SvzdG.jpg

Emperor Hirohito : I understand General but we must at least try to negotiate with Americans. When will be such a move initiated ?

PM Tojo : I am waiting for the conclusion of Operation Ichi-Go His Majesty, When we destroy the main Chinese Army in Shaanxi Pocket, I will give instruction to Washington ambassador for negotiations.

Yan'an was captured. Communist resistance collapsed completely. Most of Chinese Communist leaders were killed during the battle. Our sources inform us that Mao fled to Moscow few days ago. Now we are attacking Tongquan to annihilate remainings of Chinese Army. Operation Ichi-Go costed approximately 750.000 soldiers to China.

i883m.jpg

June, 1941

Situation of Merchant Fleet

Our large Army in China requires most of our merchant fleet to be employed for supplying Mainland China. Only 62 merchant ships are available for another tasks. Chief of IJN Admiral Yamamoto requested immediate construction of new merchant ships. Prime Minister Tojo approved this request.

7mLO4.jpg

American President Roosevelt enacted a program called as Lend-Lease to provide military supplies to Britain. In his Arsenal of Democracy speech, Roosevelt claimed that dictatorships will not win this war.

zWoKl.jpg

Final assault against Tongquan continues. 450.000 Chinese soldiers are making their last stand.

dRl3b.jpg

Technological Researches

x6AlN.jpg

Unit Deployment

dl1Re.jpg

Situation in Europe

German Armies invaded Yugoslavia within two weeks. Greece is still resisting to Italians.

ghOLY.jpg

So, China is almost gone, Indochina is secured, it seems the time is approaching for Japan to kick the Western powers out of Asia for good ;)

Yes this was a disappointment. I hope that they won't just collapse in front of Soviet Union. I don't want to fight against Soviets before 1945.

This is why I rarely play as Japan or minor axis powers. I feel I am too dependent on the German AI. If it screws up, my chances to actually win are blown to pieces.

Maybe you should consider invading Siberia when the Germans advance into the USSR, in order to divert some Soviet divisions East. In Darkest hour, do the Soviets sign peace with Japan when the Germans defeat them? If not, then this strategy wouldn't work, obviously.

In the original game if Japan occupied Vladivostok (Ie at war with SOV) the Germans didn't need to take Sverdlovsk and the bitter peace would give Japan the Siberian Coast.

I'll go event diving.

PART XXXVII: TREATY OF TOKYO

f9IA6.jpg

Prime Minister Tojo with Wang Jingwei just before the signing of Tokyo Treaty

June, 1941

Chinese forces in Tongguan began to surrender in masses. While surrender still continues, Wang Jingwei's forces toppled Chiang Kai-Shek in Chinese provisional capital. Chiang Kai-Shek has already fled to India. Wang Jingwei is known as determined to end the war with us.

vybUk.jpg

Wang Jingwei managed to take control of entire remaining Chinese forces and delivered a note to Japanese government for ending hostilities. PM Tojo informed Japanese demands to General Higashikuni and gave him authority to conduct peace negotiations. However, PM Tojo insisted that Peace Agreement should be signed in Tokyo. According to PM Tojo, This will be more humiliating to China and will increase the prestige of Japan.

Chinese envoy led by Wang Jingwei arrived at Chongqing.

Peace Negotiations, Chongqing

General Higashikuni : Premier Wang, I was assigned by PM Tojo to inform the demands of Empire of Japan. I will read them to you them point by point.

Political Terms

1) China will accept Japanese military existence on Mainland China and will provide necessary supplies to Japanese forces in China.

2) China will enter into Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere.

3) Japan will have exclusive rights to obtain resources from China. Empire of Japan will have a right to cancel Chinese trade agreements with other countries.

4) China will not conduct foreign relations with countries that are hostile towards Empire of Japan.

5) Empire of Japan will have a right to arrest anti-japanese leaders in the previous Chinese government. Those labelled as anti-Japanese will not be included in the new Chinese government. Chiang Kai-Shek will be tried in absentia and will be sentenced to death for high treason.

6) Chinese military will cooperate with Japanese military. Military plans for the defense of Chinese mainland will be prepared and China will support these plans with her Army.

Territorial Terms

7) China will accept the establishment of State of Mengjiang along Mongolian Border.

8) Empire of Japan will annex Beijing region, Haikou Island, Shanghai region, Fuzhou, Qingdao region and Guangzhou region. Former Communist territories will also remain under Japanese occupation.

ys2XT.jpg

Wang Jingwei : General I don't have problem with political terms but territorial terms are very harsh, I don't think I will be able to accept them without losing all my power in Ya'an. I want peace so I beg you for more moderate terms regarding territorial changes. Loss of this amount of territory will surely lead to fall of our new government who wants peace and cooperation with Empire of Japan more than anything else.

General Higashikuni : Premier Wang, you are not in a position to negotiate. 4 days ago, Empire of Japan destroyed more than half of Chinese Armies. These are the conditions of the Empire of Japan. Accept them or you may continue to fight.

Wang Jingwei : General, I want to sign peace agreement right now but even if I sign it now, it will be meaningless in Ya'an because my government will no longer exist. I need something that will show us as the saviour of Chinese State. Please, I beg you, inform this situation to PM Tojo.

General Higashikuni : Premier, Empire of Japan has already showed its mercy by offering to return most of Chinese territory and you still doesn't find it enough. For the sake of peace, I will telephone Tokyo to learn if some changes may be done on the conditions.

PM Tojo informed General Higashikuni that Communist territories could be returned to Chinese State. This way, Wang Jingwei could show himself as the leader who destroyed Communists and united China once again.

General Higashikuni : Premier Wang, I talked with PM Tojo himself. As a gesture of goodwill, Empire of Japan wil return Communist territories to Chinese State. Other than this, no changes will be made to demands. Now, you have to decide if you will make peace and cooperate with Japan or you will continue the fight that will bring only destruction to Chinese people.

Wang Jingwei : General, Integration of communist territories to China will surely strengthen our government. I may present our government as having achieved unification of China and saviour of most of mainland China. Now, I can sign peace agreement and then we can celebrate the beginning of Sino-Japanese cooperation that will be eternal.

General Higashikuni : Premier Wang, I ordered my personal transport plane to be prepared for you. PM Tojo is waiting for you in Tokyo. Peace agreement will be signed there tomorrow.

Following day, Wang Jingwei met with PM Tojo and signed peace treaty in Tokyo.

zh1bD.jpg

Mengjiang declared its independence from China same day.

netxg.jpg

Return of Communist controlled areas to Chinese State :

goMOK.jpg

Situation in China after Treaty of Tokyo :

gDvHW.jpg

New Chinese government led by Wang Jingwei :

0VHro.jpg

The day China surrendered was declared as holiday in Japan by PM Tojo. Glorious celebration ceremonies were held throughout Japan for a week.

July, 1941

Japanese Greater East Asia :

RmD9j.jpg

Emperor Hirohito : Prime Minister Tojo, China was finally defeated. I hope this will solve our problems with United States.

PM Tojo : His Majesty, President Roosevelt refuses to recognize new Chinese government. United States still considers China under Japanese occupation. I sent necessary instructions to Washington ambassador but I don't think Roosevelt will come to an understanding.

Emperor Hirohito : General, China was brought under the control of Empire of Japan. I think Americans may understand that no power could stop Japan in Asia. General Tojo, What about our forces in China, are we going to evacuate inner China ?

PM Tojo : Yes His Majesty, our garrison forces has already begun their travel to Korea. From there, we will send them back to the Pacific Islands. Our main Army is also slowly evacuating inner China. We will leave enough troops to garrison Chinese coasts and Burma border and rest of the Army will be transported back to home. Now, our hand is free His Majesty, Americans cannot stop our influence to expand in the East Asia. By the way His Majesty, Foreign Minister Togo's talks with Thai government is going very well, we may expect them to sign Greater East Asian Pact soon. The fall of China surely affected their attitude.

19 garrison divisions arrived to Busan from China.

WlvLb.jpg

United States occupied Greenland and Iceland. These territories belonged to Denmark but with the surrender of Denmark to Germany, United States occupied the territories to prevent them from falling into German hands.

syRTf.jpg

Effects of Chinese surrender on American public is immense. Roosevelt persuaded the congress to increase the budge for naval expansion program.

QnEay.jpg

German Fuhrer Hitler and Marshal Petain met in Montoire. Hitler tried to convince Marshal Petain to join the Axis camp.

Ef7Xk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.