• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PART LIV: JAPAN JOINS THE AXIS

t5kEg.jpg

Japanese Berlin Embassy after Japanese entry into the Axis

January, 1943

Heavy snow in Manchuria halted advance of Kwantung Army.

xhyJu.jpg

Technological Researches

TfgTj.jpg

Following the surrender of British Raj, British and Soviet troops entered Iran and installed pro-British government. Following day, Iran declared war on German and Empire of Japan.

LtY81.jpg

February, 1943

Soviets launched offensive to recpature Arvaikheer.

LHMBh.jpg

Admiral Nagano spotted enemy submarine filotilla near Midway Island. 3 of 4 submarines were sunk by depth charges.

CzE33.jpg

March, 1943

Americans landed at Qingdao. We immediately sent General Yamashita's Army from Busan to Yantai to retake Qingdao.

N2UX3.jpg

Unit Deployment

3 mountain divisions were deployed in Nagasaki.

0934j.jpg

American landing in Qingdao was contained.

RgQsB.jpg

General Abe launched an offensive against Arvaikheer to repcature the province.

TVZLq.jpg

General Terauchi launched offensive to Zahedan with 2 infantry corps and 1 cavalry corps.

oeRIe.jpg

With the weather conditions becoming more favourable, We launched offensive against Birobidzhan.

MWedb.jpg

Battle of Tetyukhe has begun.

MbqEr.jpg

1st and 2nd Marine Corps landed at Anchorage.

ZaMyl.jpg

April, 1943

Birobidszhan was captured. Soviets brought more reinforcements to Tetyukhe.

9vyX3.jpg

Unit Deployment

Carrier Taisho was commissioned in Nagoya Dockyard. 1 squadron of G3M Naval Bombers and 2 motorized divisions were also deployed.

6DC37.jpg

Soviets launched massive counter-attack against Never.

oQUS9.jpg

Australian Army heavily reinforced Southern New Guinea. High Command decided to withdraw 11th Infantry Corps from Kiunga and to deploy them in Port Moresby.

yh0Bc.jpg

Today, Empire of Japan formally joined the Axis. In Japanese Berlin Embassy, Ambassador Kurusu signed modified version of Tripartite Pact along with Germany Foreign Minister Ribbentrop and Italian Foreign Minister Ciano. According to the Pact :

1) Germany and Italy recognizes entire Asia in the Japanese Sphere of Influence. (It was East Asia before)

2) Empire of Japan will militarily support German and Italian crusade against Bolshevism.

3) Empire of Japan ,German Reich and Kingdom of Italy will provide each other military technical assistance.

After the signing of the Pact, first German u-boat filled with technicians arrived at Japan.

SjYTt.jpg

Imperial Conference, Tokyo

PM Tojo : His Majesty and dear members of the Diet, we reached the most important phase of our holy war. India was brought under our control. War against Bolsheviks is going well. We are advancing slowly but we hope to gain momentum once Germans in the West defeat Red Army. Now, we will inflict the last blow to Americans and force them to sue for peace. Military plans for the invasion of United States were prepared and we are ready to initiate these plans. We transferred most of Indian Expeditionary Army to Anchorage. We gathered 18 divisions in Anchorage. General Yamashita was appointed as the commander of newly formed America Army. 2nd Battle Fleet of Admiral Mikawa will provide naval support to amphibious operations. 2nd Carrier Fleet of Admiral Nagano currently based at Pearl Harbor. He may also provide naval support. Invasion Fleet consists of 12 transport ships. We merged 1st and 2nd transport fleets into one big fleet. We plan to make landing at San Francisco. Once we take control of the city, we will send fighter and bomber wings to airbases there. Now His Majesty, all our soldiers await your permission for the invasion of United States.

6LAh5.jpg

Emperor Hirohito : Good General, American people will understand the true meaning of war now.

Last edited:
A splendid Asian empire. Two of the most populous countries on Earth are now under Japan's control. Will you puppet India, or keep it occupied? Does it count as a colonial region where no partisan dissent occurs?

On the other hand, Japan could have easily exploited the anti-British nationalist sentiment among the Indians, promising them "independence" if they aid it in the process of "liberation". Losing India would be a major blow to the British morale I think, even though the real military and economic impacts on the British war effort in Europe would be minimal.

I will grant India independence after the conclusion of war with United States. I want to be remembered as the liberator of India from British oppressors :)

Hm, Japan joined the Axis formally now. I assume it is possible to join another alliance, if you are a leader of a minor alliance...?

The Soviets took the bait, but again, Japan can only hope the plan doesn't work too well ;) Invasion of America (proper) is about to begin, while the situation in New Guinea is worrying, it will be hard to dislodge so many Australians with the limited forces Japan has available in that region. Too bad Australia hadn't been neutralized before the invasion of the USSR and USA.

BTW:

March, 1943
Americans landed at Qingdao.

Why the hell is the AI doing things like this? :rolleyes: All these pointless invasions that have nowhere near the strength and naval backing to actually matter, in which the AI squanders its forces. It's absurd that the US AI is invading China (with one division) when Hawaii is under Japanese occupation. I think the AI needs some sort of a priorities list - when the key bases in the Pacific are under Japanese control, US AI should focus on retaking and garrisoning them. Only then should it move forward to Philippines, Okinawa, Formosa, etc.

Also, how can it do that? Do AI naval units have unlimited range like in standard HoI2? That has always irked me :mad:

---

Anyway, I am impatiently awaiting the next update :)

Hm, Japan joined the Axis formally now. I assume it is possible to join another alliance, if you are a leader of a minor alliance...?

The Soviets took the bait, but again, Japan can only hope the plan doesn't work too well ;) Invasion of America (proper) is about to begin, while the situation in New Guinea is worrying, it will be hard to dislodge so many Australians with the limited forces Japan has available in that region. Too bad Australia hadn't been neutralized before the invasion of the USSR and USA.

BTW:

Why the hell is the AI doing things like this? :rolleyes: All these pointless invasions that have nowhere near the strength and naval backing to actually matter, in which the AI squanders its forces. It's absurd that the US AI is invading China (with one division) when Hawaii is under Japanese occupation. I think the AI needs some sort of a priorities list - when the key bases in the Pacific are under Japanese control, US AI should focus on retaking and garrisoning them. Only then should it move forward to Philippines, Okinawa, Formosa, etc.

Also, how can it do that? Do AI naval units have unlimited range like in standard HoI2? That has always irked me :mad:

---

Anyway, I am impatiently awaiting the next update :)

Believe me, Qingdao landing is nothing compared to other stupidities AI is making in this AAR. I don't think there is unlimited range anymore. But with replenishment tech, it is quite possible to have 6000 km for transport ships. Also, Americans control Guadalcanal and Kavieng islands near New Guinea. I think this single panzer division came from there.

How are the Germans doing now that some forces have moved to east asia?

It is still stalemate. But weather conditions have recently improved. I still hope they will manage to create breakthrough. Otherwise, I will have to prepare for a long war against Soviets.

PART LV: INVASION OF UNITED STATES

67g5K.jpg

Japanese soldiers advancing towards the beach

April, 1943

Admiral Yamamoto sank 2 Australian destroyers near Torres Strait.

0rdOj.jpg

5th Submarine Hunter Fleet sank 1 submarine near the coast of Attu Island.

tIR5g.jpg

Battle of Elban

UR68C.jpg

May, 1943

Landing at Santa Barbara has begun.

TVf8Z.jpg

Our forces captured Santa Barbara. Advance towards Los Angeles and Fresno has begun.

NCSJO.jpg

Admiral Nagano spotted American Carrier Fleet near the coast of San Francisco. Carrier USS Hornet and battleship USS New Mexico were sunk.

quZkG.jpg

1st Naval Bomber Wing sank heavily damaged carrier USS Wasp near San Francisco.

Yzpvg.jpg

American Fleet at San Francisco is trying to escape from blockade of Admiral Nagano.

8E85t.jpg

American Battleship Fleet managed to get close to Admiral Nagano's carrier fleet. Carrier IJN Akagi and 1 transport ship were sunk by American battleships.

OpFHO.jpg

Battle of San Francisco has begun. Admiral Nagano is returning to Pearl Harbor to have extensive repairs to damaged warships. Admiral Yamamoto's 1st Carrier Fleet was ordered to go to the West Coast.

2UsuU.jpg

Technological Researches

STXYA.jpg

Situation in Europe

Wehrmacht finally managed to break stalemate in the Eastern Front and began to advance towards Ukraine.

T0WGZ.jpg

Elban was captured. Battle of Ekimchan has begun.

6f9Tk.jpg

Battle of San Francisco continues. 2nd Battle Fleet of Admiral Mikawa is preparing for encounter with American Fleet based at San Francisco port.

DyIFt.jpg

San Francisco was captured. Admiral Mikawa attacked American Fleet leaving San Francisco. Light Cruiser USS Detroit was sunk.

vqrhc.jpg

Overall advance in United States :

5rtvB.jpg

Nooo, Akagi!! :eek: Level an American city in retaliation!

Anyway, two questions - why didn't you try to encircle San Francisco, and do you have enough troops to actually establish a continuous front in America?

(if you want to really PO the Yanks, you could capture the Panama Canal and start raiding the East Coast - land, wreak havoc, leave, repeat :D )

Gosh, this feels so wrong. Japan would be crushed like a bug. The US economic and manpower potential was so great that any direct invasion on the US Coast would be short-lived, although personally I doubt that anyone would attempt to do it.

Good to know that the Germans are advancing in Europe.

And what do you plan to do next? Attack the East Coast? :p

Nooo, Akagi!! :eek: Level an American city in retaliation!

Anyway, two questions - why didn't you try to encircle San Francisco, and do you have enough troops to actually establish a continuous front in America?

(if you want to really PO the Yanks, you could capture the Panama Canal and start raiding the East Coast - land, wreak havoc, leave, repeat :D )

I had only 3 divisions to cut the rear of San Francisco and they had 3 divisions defending the region. There is also river between Sacramento and Santa Rosa. I couldn't have captured Santa Rosa without heavy air support which I lack currently.

I will go for Panama and then land at the East Coast. I am just waiting for newest replenishment tech to solve range problem of my transports. I can't advance much in the mountanious regions of the West. But when I land at the East Coast, war will be over.

For continuous frontline, yes I think I can handle them. They lost many divisions in transports and they sent many divisions to European Theatre. They should also have manpower problems too. With some more mobility, I could defeat them.

Gosh, this feels so wrong. Japan would be crushed like a bug. The US economic and manpower potential was so great that any direct invasion on the US Coast would be short-lived, although personally I doubt that anyone would attempt to do it.

And what do you plan to do next? Attack the East Coast? :p

Yeah, AI is really stupid and killed all entertainment. Defeating United States is actually easier than defeating China. American AI should be improved quite a bit.

Whos that American Admiral with a mustache who has constantly lost those naval engagements against the japanese. I mean jeese why havent they sacked him already.

Also great AAR by the way. Been reading for quite some time. Keep It up! Washington or Bust.

holy shit, as i said no risk, no fun, i didn´t thought that you would run into an war with the SU and the US
now this AAR got even more intresting,
good luck man, i somehow fear, that you will need it now.

aside of this, again great updates
keep it up man, your fans are waiting for your updates

Well, this is a game. And potential is the key word, when the war was about to break out in Europe, Czechoslovakia had a bigger army than the US :D It took years to efficiently mobilize the US industrial and manpower for an all-out war.

Now, Japan has defeated the US Navy in the Pacific, which is at least plausible. It has conquered Hawaii and Alaska and thus dealt a major blow to the US morale. West Coast is, logistically speaking, pretty "isolated" from the rest of the US, so if Japan had landed there in strength and established a reasonable defence line at the Rockies, it would have taken a lot of time and effort to dislodge them, especially if the Japanese fought as tenaciously as they did historically. And don't forget that this Japan has the full weight of China and India behind it and now when Germany will supply modern technology and know how, Japan might even produce planes that don't catch fire when the American pilots so much as look at them, and maybe even a decent infantry rifle :D

I still think they would have on their own. It probably took them some time to develop better doctrines and upgrade their forces.

Yeah, AI is really stupid and killed all entertainment. Defeating United States is actually easier than defeating China. American AI should be improved quite a bit.

Don't say hop before you jump. I bet the Americans have a lot of troops assembled on the East Coast for transport to Europe. It has probably started redeploying them to the West Coast now.

If not, then the US AI is really broken.

I say, add some events to buff the US! Like, spawning a couple of TAC and FTR squadrons, and a bunch of MOT so they can hold the line...

The US hardly needs any boosts of that sort. From what I see, it just needs a better AI that could better react to what the player is doing. I know it is difficult to make such an AI, but WiF was very close to that - I mean I really feared what the US was going to do next...

It took years to efficiently mobilize the US industrial and manpower for an all-out war.
Sure. However, the USA never unleashed its full wartime potential - it just never had to. An invasion of the US mainland would not only greatly speed the process up, but also increase the total US capacity. Remember that it was a 170 million country with the biggest industry on the Earth. Japan, on the other hand, was an aspiring major, but still rather regional power.

Now, Japan has defeated the US Navy in the Pacific, which is at least plausible. It has conquered Hawaii and Alaska and thus dealt a major blow to the US morale. West Coast is, logistically speaking, pretty "isolated" from the rest of the US, so if Japan had landed there in strength and established a reasonable defence line at the Rockies, it would have taken a lot of time and effort to dislodge them, especially if the Japanese fought as tenaciously as they did historically.
I can imagine that if Japan beat the US Navy in the Pacific, its position would be much stronger. Who knows, maybe they would even be able to take Hawaii, especially that in case of this AAR China is already beaten. However, if that happened, the USA would be greatly alarmed. The population would be mobilised for war and countless soldiers, aircraft and tanks would be stationed in the US West Coast. There would be initial panic which would be transformed into ferocity and determination, just as in case of Pearl Harbour. Realistically speaking, even with naval supremacy the Japanese would have never been able to provide enough logistical support to the forces which could potentially be sufficient to attack the West Coast effectively. Of course, in our case, the AI didn't even guard the coastline properly...

Let's face it, the US mainland was never in danger in the 1930s and 1940s. IMO the Japanese best chance was to win several Midways, take some US islands, establish their planned defence perimeter and hope that the USA would sue for peace eventually. It's an unlikely possibility, but it's nothing like WC or other nonsense, so for game purposes it should be possible to achieve that. No US annexations etc., though.

I agree that most of the problems come from AI weaknesses, but the game's logistical system is too forgiving, too.

I can imagine that if Japan beat the US Navy in the Pacific, its position would be much stronger. Who knows, maybe they would even be able to take Hawaii, especially that in case of this AAR China is already beaten. However, if that happened, the USA would be greatly alarmed. The population would be mobilised for war and countless soldiers, aircraft and tanks would be stationed in the US West Coast. There would be initial panic which would be transformed into ferocity and determination, just as in case of Pearl Harbour. Realistically speaking, even with naval supremacy the Japanese would have never been able to provide enough logistical support to the forces which could potentially be sufficient to attack the West Coast effectively. Of course, in our case, the AI didn't even guard the coastline properly...

Let's face it, the US mainland was never in danger in the 1930s and 1940s. IMO the Japanese best chance was to win several Midways, take some US islands, establish their planned defence perimeter and hope that the USA would sue for peace eventually. It's an unlikely possibility, but it's nothing like WC or other nonsense, so for game purposes it should be possible to achieve that. No US annexations etc., though.

I agree that most of the problems come from AI weaknesses, but the game's logistical system is too forgiving, too.

(without derailing the AAR further)

I agree, mostly. There was a brief panic in the US that the Japanese would land on the West Coast. Maybe if they had done that immediately after Pearl Harbour (if it had been possible, I mean), the Americans wouldn't have had much to defend it with. It would have been a nice diversion too - if San Francisco had been occupied, who would have given a damn about Asia or some islands in the Pacific nobody had ever heard of? But once the US started mobilizing, there was no chance Japan could get anywhere in North America, except perhaps Alaska. Even if the US Navy was non-existent, the air force and a huge disparity in land forces would have prevented Japan (or anybody else, for that matter) to maintain a beachhead in North America.

Game wise, I totally agree, it should be possible to make peace with America (and the Allies) if it fails to retake some key points in Pacific (Guam, Hawaii, the Philippines) by, say, 1946, and/or if Australia and India fall to Japan. This would be semi-historical, the American public wouldn't have supported an endless war which it kept losing.

The Americans are getting gobbled up! And the Soviets are cracking under the pressure of too much Axis divisions. Regarding America being invaded: could happen, but the different nationalities and ethnicities would have to be turned into the fifth column. In game, it could require having many spies in the US, which would enable events for staged riots of Hispano and Afro-Americans, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.