• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it seems that majority supports war with Soviets. I will immediately begin preparations in Manchuria. War will start in January, 1943 at the latest.

Vladivostok has 39 IC. Even taking just this province will be major blow to Soviet war effort. I don't plan to advance deep into Siberia and Turkestan. I can't do this either. My aim will be to take Vladivostok and to attract as many Soviet divisions as possible. Soviets will declare war on me anyway after the defeat of Germany. So, I will just have taken the initiative with this move.

Americans occupied most of Norway, Finland got smashed by Soviets and North Africa is under Allied control. Without my support, German will eventually lose. If they lose, British-Soviet-American combined force will come for me.

Of course, now invasion of USA plan will not be possible. I can't launch full scale invasion but I will try to obtain a foothold on United States.

Last edited:
The USSR isn't worth it at this point...if Germany isn't winning, you'll be forced to fight all the way as far as Turkestan and get bogged down. It'll take literally millions of men that you don't have ready, with no real end in sight. I say finish off the US, make use of the IC you gain, neutralise the nations in East Asia (The Raj, Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet), Australia, New Zealand, and possibly create a staging area in Afghanistan and do what the Germans are clearly failing at. The German/Japanese alliance was an contradictory one anyway, and was never going to work out.

You are right but Soviets will eventually declare war on me. And they will probably do this when they have 10+ divisions on each Manchurian border province. My entire Army consists of 51 INF, 3 MTN, 3 MOT, 6 CAV and 6 MAR divisions. I can't stop Russians with this force.

Last edited:
First, let me congratulate you to the massive progress you've made in the past three updates. Looks like the Americans were forced into a naval battle of annihilation near Hawaii and lost. This went better than I expected it would :)

I think this is the key issue. In my opinion, you need to focus on the US while they're still comparably weak. If you delay the invasion, you'll face a much stronger opposition. The Germans are not likely to lose in a few months. The front will probably remain relatively stable for at least a year or two, which should give you time to defeat the US (if you think you can). Then you can think of helping Germany.

It's a risk, but I'd rather face marginally stronger Soviets than a fully mobilized US capable of harassing me everywhere. I vote for kicking the US out of the war first.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget to take the Panama Canal to make it even harder for the US to send reinforcements to the Pacific.

Germans will not lose within a year or two but they will lose the initiative. Early strike from me could put everything in order. Swift collapse of Soviet Union would also bring swift collapse of United States. I want to land at United States so badly but Soviets will be probably at my gate 2 years later. I don't want my hardly conquered China to fall into Communist hands :)

Of course, if the distraction doesn't work (or works too well), then you're toast ;) At least try and grab the Panama Canal.

Defending Manchuria is rather easy, as the Soviets will march three weeks into a province, been thrown out rigth after, need three weeks to escape back to Soviet territory, regain org, come back, repeat.

Japan has no chance against the Allies on its own. When you are playing as Germany, your potential is large enough that after France you can manage very well pretty much on your own. Japan has no such power and cannot hope to overcome both the Allies and the Soviets if Germany is dead. At least not in 1940-1944. You could do some IC-whoring to increase your potential, but I don't know whether you have enough resources to do that. Still, Germany will not survive that long.

Japan has no chance against the Allies on its own. When you are playing as Germany, your potential is large enough that after France you can manage very well pretty much on your own. Japan has no such power and cannot hope to overcome both the Allies and the Soviets if Germany is dead. At least not in 1940-1944. You could do some IC-whoring to increase your potential, but I don't know whether you have enough resources to do that. Still, Germany will not survive that long.

He's human. I estimate that's worth about 500 IC, 10000 MP, +30% ORG, and 150% research speed :D

Well I hope it goes well. The initial takings will be huge, as Siberia has been built up and is hardly defended. I suggest creating a defensive line across Turkestan and holding it until the Germans push through...Liberate as many countries as possible (or at least Kazakhstan), because if the Soviet surrender is the same as HOI2, you'll lose a heck of a lot of your gains. The puppet states should decrease the size and power of the post bitter peace USSR, so you can commit to a second war to annex the rest.

Will be interesting to see what you do with Outer Manchuria, as traditionally Manchukuo had claims on it. Do they deserve that big chunk of IC?

Last edited:
I vote attack the communists.. As i see it, you really have no choice, because if Germany falls, you are toast. Just taking Vladivostok and establishing a defenseline would really divert manpower and take away a lot of IC.

As i see it, Germany must have anticipated some sort of intervention in the east for such a risky late attack on the Soviets. :D

Last edited:
There is a US-Germany cold war even that triggers sometime around 1944 or onwards if the US does not advance enough. If you ally with germany, the resulting WP and NAP will also extend to you:)

Guess this AAR is worth an post out of lurking status, and i have to say your dedication to your updates and the aar till now is just bombastic, keep on the great work.
However this AAR showed me that i do some things wrong when i play an naval power like japan so thank you for this great learning experience.

On an side note, i know the desicion is allready made, but i would have gone for the US, no risk, no fun. And an anexed US would have given you enough IC to stand the SU, even if you would loose the asian-mainland.
however, its your game, your AAR, i enjoyed it till now and i´m sure that i will enjoy it in the future.
Go on an show those americans what real dedication to your homeland is.

PART LI:MEETING WITH RIBBENTROP

jRCaz.jpg

Foreign Minister Matsuoka with Ribbentrop in Tokyo

August, 1942

Situation in Europe :

German Army managed to advance only few provinces into Soviet territory. Americans landed at Norway and Soviets invaded most of Finland.

mBEbJ.jpg

German Foreign Minister Joachim Von Ribbentrop arrived at Tokyo today with his special aircraft. Ribbentrop followed the route of Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan and China to reach Japanese controlled areas. Foreign Minister Matsuoka met Ribbentrop in Tokyo.

Special Meeting between Ribbentrop and Matsuoka

Ribbentrop : Mr. Matsuoka, First of all, I want to congratulate Empire of Japan for their great victories everywhere on Asia on the behalf of my Fuhrer. German Nation supports the Japanese war against the Western Imperialists from the heart. Mr. Matsuoka, let me explain you the reason of my special visit to Tokyo. As you know, Wehrmacht commenced the greatest land operation ever launched against Bolsheviks in April. We couldn't tolerate Bolshevik threats anymore and Fuhrer decided to resolve the problem by destroying Bolshevism once and for all. Our Armed forces are well prepared and technologically advanced. However, Bolsheviks prepared their country solely for war more than 20 years. All resources were put into armament program in Soviet Union. Stalin's barbarous rule that doesn't think anything but war, created the largest Army on Earth. Russians forces are inferior but their numbers compensate this. I will be completely honest to you as your ally, We are struggling against Russian hordes because, we have to fight against Americans and British as well in the West. Our offensive in the East almost came to halt. Fuhrer sent me here to want Japanese support against Bolshevism. If Germany fails to destroy Bolshevism, Japan will have to face it, this is just a matter of time. If Germany is destroyed, without doubt, Bolsheviks and their Anglo-Saxon friends will attack Japan. But if Germany and Japan wipe off Bolshevism together then Britain and United States couldn't stand against combined force of Japan and Germany. Fuhrer wanted me to tell you that Germany has no any insterest in the Asia and Germany recognizes entire Asia in the Japanese Sphere of Influence. Fuhrer wants our ally Japanese Empire to launch operations against Bolsheviks in Manchuria.

Matsuoka : Mr. Ribbentrop, I very well understood your points and agree with you. Prime Minister Tojo is also aware of Bolshevik threat against Empire of Japan.But there are some problems, Japan is fighting in India, Burma and New Guinea and in addition to this there are many possessions that Empire of Japan has to protect against Americans. Empire of Japan couldn't launch major offensive in Manchuria at the moment because of lack of necessary forces. Also, Further operations against United States that will require most of our forces, are under way.

Ribbentrop : I understand Mr. Matsuoka. But the situation in the East does not just concern Germany but also Empire of Japan. Japan is winning major victories against United States right now, we know that and we thank god for this but if Germany fails then Empire of Japan will face much stronger enemy at his back. This is inevitable. Fuhrer is well aware of Japanese responsibilities in the Great Pacific Front. Due to this, he didn't request full scale operations from Japan but limited offensives in Manchuria. Soviest has already sent bulk of their forces to the West, so forces in Manchuria is small. Still, German Armies will be responsible to destroy main Armies of Soviets, we want Empire of Japan to pull as many Soviet divisions possible to Manchuria. This way, we will be able to inflict fatal blow to Bolshevism. Even smallest Japanese operations in Manchuria will ease the burden on Wehrmacht quite a bit. Fuhrer also considered the post-war situation of Soviet Union. Fuhrer accepts Japanese control to the East of Balkhash Lake. This will be valid, even if Japan makes only small offensives.

Matsuoka : Mr. Ribbentrop, I agree with your points in general. I will pass your points to Prime Minister Tojo at the earliest possible time. I also promise you that I will speak to him on the behalf of your proposals.

Imperial Conference, Tokyo

PM Tojo : His Majesty and dear ministers, This meeting was called in order to discuss recent visit of German Foreign Minister Ribbentrop to Tokyo and his proposals. Minister Matsuoka told proposals to me, he will also explain to His Majesty and to you.

Matsuoka : His majesty and dear members of the cabinet, two days ago, I met with German Foreign Minister Joachim Von Ribbentrop. He explained the situation of Germany in the Eastern Front in a detailed way. Apparently, German crusade against Soviet Union turned into stalemate. Bolsheviks managed to stop German Armies few hundred kms inside Soviet territory. Also, Finland was invaded by Red Army and Amerians landed at Norway. Soviet Union relocated their entire Manchurian Army to the West. According to Ribbentrop, Germany cannot win without second front against Soviet Union. He wants us to launch offensive in Manchuria. Aim of this offensive will be mainly to divert as many Soviet divisions as possible to the East to make German advance continue again.

Emperor Hirohito : Minister Matsuoka, How could we afford to open another huge front while we are at war with the Allies ?

Matsuoka : His Majesty, Soviets sent most of their forces to the west to counter German offensive. Soviet Manchurian Army is very weak for now. We could handle them with relatively small force.

PM Tojo :His Majesty, Ribbentrop is right about one thing, if Germany is defeated, we will eventually face Soviets in Manchuria. We know that Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin is cooperating against the Axis Powers. If Germany is defeated, the hands of Soviet Union will be free to launch full scale invasion against Manchuria and possibly China. But we don't have enough forces to counter massive Soviet Army alone in Manchuria. But If we hit them now while they are weak, Germany and Empire of Japan could remove Soviet threat for good. Furthermore, Hitler recognizes Siberia as Japanese sphere of influence. So, We could obtain huge amount of territory in Siberia with only minor efforts.

Emperor Hirohito : But Prime Minister Tojo, what if Germans fail in spite of our operations against Soviets ?

PM Tojo : His Majesty, even if this happens, we will have defensive positions in the Soviet territory. But If we don't act, Soviets will have the initiative after Germany is defeated.

Emperor Hirohito : Well Prime Minister, do you believe that we could defeat Soviets while we are still busy with Americans ? And What will be return of operations against Soviets in the short run ?

PM Tojo : Yes, His Majesty, with 15 fresh divisions we could invade Siberia easily. We could capture industrial center of Vladivostok in the beginning of operations. Also, our operation will bring Northern Sakhalin back to Empire of Japan. There are oil wells in the Northern Sakhalin.

bS60W.jpg

Emperor Hirohito : General, what will be the effect of diversion of 15 divisions to Manchuria on the war against United States. Are plans for the invasion of United States still valid ?

PM Tojo : His Majesty, we still plan to make landing at the West coast but we will have to postpone the full scale invasion to a later date if we declare war on Soviet Union.

Emperor Hirohito : Well General Tojo. You have proved yourself correct for about the war with Americans. I trust you for this, but I want all preparations to be presented to me before I make declaration of war.

PM Tojo : Thanks His Majesty, I will call General Higashikuni immediately to gather an Army in Manchuria as soon as possible. He is the general that could handle Soviets. Once preparations are complete, I will explain you every detail before you give your final decision.

In India, 1st Cavalry Corps attacked Bhubanesbar garrison.

TTpO9.jpg

Unit Deployment

3 light cruisers and 1 garrison division are ready for deployment.

QcJed.jpg

Nagano's 2nd Carrier Fleet spotted US Fleet at Kauai. With the support of 1st Naval Bomber Wing from Pearl Harbor, Battleships USS Arkansas and USS New York and heavy cruiser USS Augusta were sunk.

hMOIi.jpg

In New Guinea, 11th and 6th Infantry Corps landed at Kiunga to trap Australian forces in Birab.

E0HvP.jpg

Kauai was captured. 2nd Carrier Fleet and then 1st Naval Bomber Wing attacked US Fleet leaving Kauai. 2 heavy cruisers, USS Pensacola and USS Tuscaloosa were sunk. With the fall of Kauai, American Fleet was thrown out of the Pacific.

PSDSe.jpg

In order to destroy remaining US Fleet in one more decisive battle, Admiral Ozawa's 1st Battle Fleet intercepted US Fleet in Clarion Fracture Zone. 2 heavy cruisers, USS Chester and USS Portland were sunk.

iQdkr.jpg

Admiral Ozawa intercepted US Battleship Fleet in Clarion Fracture Zone at 23 km. Battleship USS Pennsylvania, heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis and light cruiser USS Trenton were sunk. We didn't lose any ships but Battleship Musashi and Yamashiro was damaged badly. Also, three light cruisers took critical damages.

oCL1l.jpg

September, 1942

Situation in India :

zUmPc.jpg

Situation in the invasion of Soviet Union :

6t8QI.jpg

Australian forces retreating from Birab captured Wamena region.We are advancing to Birab and Wamena. Americans brought 4 divisions to Kavieng Island.

N1EWq.jpg

After losing 30 merchant ships last week, 5th Submarine Hunter Fleet was sent to Attu Island to eliminate enemy submarines in the region. 6 American submarines were detected near Attu Island. Minor damages were inflicted on 2 submarines. PM Tojo ordered the capture of Attu Island to prevent further enemy submarine operations in the region.

d3ui8.jpg

In India except for the resistance in the North, Our forces are advancing unopposed. British forces are unable to form new frontline. We expect India to fall within few months.

wOWRJ.jpg

Armament Program

After the decision to go to war against Soviets, PM Tojo ordered creation of new divisions to have priority in the Armament Program. For this purpose, construction of aircraft carriers were delayed.

rYssL.jpg

Guess this AAR is worth an post out of lurking status, and i have to say your dedication to your updates and the aar till now is just bombastic, keep on the great work.
However this AAR showed me that i do some things wrong when i play an naval power like japan so thank you for this great learning experience.

On an side note, i know the desicion is allready made, but i would have gone for the US, no risk, no fun. And an anexed US would have given you enough IC to stand the SU, even if you would loose the asian-mainland.
however, its your game, your AAR, i enjoyed it till now and i´m sure that i will enjoy it in the future.
Go on an show those americans what real dedication to your homeland is.

Thanks for your kind response :)

For Soviet war, I think this is better choice because I guess Americans will not be able to recover for 3 years. Within this time interval, Germany and Japan could destroy Soviet Union. Then, I could launch full scale invasion of US Mainland.

Germany really didn't get far with Barbarossa and Finland is almost gone. Hopefully you'll finish off India quickly so that your forces are ready for the operation Whatisitsname against the Soviets. The American Navy may be gone for the moment, but their land forces will increase quickly.

I wonder what will Makif do if the Soviet AI decides to suddenly redeploy 40 divisions, ten of them armoured, from Europe to Siberia. And sends half of its air force there :D

Germany really didn't get far with Barbarossa and Finland is almost gone. Hopefully you'll finish off India quickly so that your forces are ready for the operation Whatisitsname against the Soviets. The American Navy may be gone for the moment, but their land forces will increase quickly.

In fact, I began to deploy necessary forces to Manchuria. I won't shift any more troops to Soviet border from India. 18 divisions will be ready within a month. I may even send 3 more. If weather conditions become good, I will attack before 1943.

This is a potential Pearl Harbour 2! I'd suggest moving the bulk of your bombers to the Manchukuo and Mengjian regions to soften targets before they reach Japanese lines. In terms of doctrines, I think Japanese infantry is superior at this time...if you can secure every route to the Sea Of Japan (Outer Manchuria), that would be enough. Also, uniting Mengkukuo with Outer Mongolia and Tuva could pave the way for the state being able to cater for its own defence in a few years time. I wouldn't move past these lines...the Mongolian provinces are quite large and cover a lot of land. Also, a Soviet victory in Mongolia would result in them having a long journey to the attacked province...making it easy to push them out again.

If you're feeling ambitious though, Kazakhstan is a nice nation to liberate. I would puppet Sinkiang too.

Status
Not open for further replies.