• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(190046)

Recruit
1 Badges
Jan 10, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron III
I built a bunch of nukes for missile silo launch but I can't find where they went (autodeploy off, did try it on still nothing) or see them in missile control (shows everything but missile launch). I just want to know how to load and fire nukes from my silos.

Silo launches are only done during a "Strategic Pool" nuclear launch. You will need to bring up the Strategic Pool screen (button to the right of the Defcon bar at the top), and then you'll see a list of your missiles, you need to move the ones you want to the Strategic Pool. On this screen you'll also see a count of the number of Silos you have. When you engage in a Strategic launch, Silos are used automatically if there are silo-capable missiles in your pool.

Silo launches are only done during a "Strategic Pool" nuclear launch. You will need to bring up the Strategic Pool screen (button to the right of the Defcon bar at the top), and then you'll see a list of your missiles, you need to move the ones you want to the Strategic Pool. On this screen you'll also see a count of the number of Silos you have. When you engage in a Strategic launch, Silos are used automatically if there are silo-capable missiles in your pool.

This makes silos "USA/USSR only", at least for use.

That is true, and also historically valid as well. Though one thing to note is that most silo-launched missiles also have an alternate launch method available, such as land launchers, or sub launches.

Is there a large technical hurdle to opening up The Big Red Button to other region than USA/USSR?

That is true, and also historically valid as well. Though one thing to note is that most silo-launched missiles also have an alternate launch method available, such as land launchers, or sub launches.

I still don't get it why you can't just let other nations research silo's as well if they have the time money and tech. I remember SR: 2020 also having this dumb limitation where crucial techs could only be researched by some nations and not others regardless of wealth and power and it did not make even a shred of sense. Its lame that this also appears to be the case in Cold War.

I honestly don't understand what you mean. It is only limited in that silos are for the Strategic Pool and the Strategic Pool is a campaign element for the two superpowers. We've been clear all along that this is a "Cold War" game, focused on the superpowers. The Sandbox remains but that was not the focus for all the new features. Also, the tech tree has never been limited by region. There were some regions who did not have much variety of units to use those technologies but the technologies where there and we worked constantly to expand those lists. We have thousands of units in the game, something few others games can boast.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was discussion about whether to make the "Strategic Pool" available to all regions... in some other cases (such as the Space Race), we did do this, and allowed third-party sandbox regions to "win" or otherwise take advantage of the feature.

But for the Strategic Pool it just made more sense to limit it to the historical superpowers. While there are some very occasional examples of Silos outside of US/USSR, these were never anything substantial, and mobile land/air/sub launchers remain the platforms of choice for the rest of the world.

There was discussion about whether to make the "Strategic Pool" available to all regions... in some other cases (such as the Space Race), we did do this, and allowed third-party sandbox regions to "win" or otherwise take advantage of the feature.

But for the Strategic Pool it just made more sense to limit it to the historical superpowers. While there are some very occasional examples of Silos outside of US/USSR, these were never anything substantial, and mobile land/air/sub launchers remain the platforms of choice for the rest of the world.

The interface for The Big Red Button is just so cool and slick (two clicks, target everything, no need for micro) that it should be obvious why it would appeal to any aspiring nuclear power. Please consider patching it into sandbox for everyone, if there's not some huge technical hurdle (like scripted targetting) preventing you from doing so. The biggest challenge I see is, say, India developing nukes, then who do you target with the strike? You'd need a UI element to specify whom the target is.

We can consider this for future updates, certainly in the Supreme Ruler series we've never been a fan of "artificial limitations". Two of the bigger changes would be the fact that, as you point out, you may need some form of interface to select a "primary target" .... also the question of staging locations. The Strat Pool between US / USSR had some common attack points - flights over the poles, subs in the North Atlantic and North Pacific. Obviously India taking on Australia would have a different set of staging locations :)

So at the moment there is no way to choose or to tell where a nuke launch will target?

You can manually position launchers, and manually target and fire nukes. The problem is, if you want to engage in some good old fashion Armageddon, and you aren't the USA or USSR, you could be talking hundreds, thousands, or even tens of thousands of clicks.

I'd rather just select "Pakistan" from a drop-down box, and click The Big Red Button.

I'd rather just select "Pakistan" from a drop-down box, and click The Big Red Button.

:( I have not much interest in the game otherwise, but this feature alone is (or would be) so awesome that I need to seriously contemplate buying it...

Sorry to bump up 2 year old thread, but this is not right. I built missile silos as North Korea plus developed silo-launch nukes.... and I can't launch them? This makes no sense!

Sorry to bump up 2 year old thread, but this is not right. I built missile silos as North Korea plus developed silo-launch nukes.... and I can't launch them? This makes no sense!

That's an excellent question.

As a new player of both 2020 Gold and Cold War I'd like to see a response to the implied query also.

Silo launched missiles don't exist in SR2020. In SRCW, only the two superpowers can engage in strategic nuclear warfare. Tactical is still available (land launched ICBMs).

Then why are countries that can't use them allowed to research and build them thus wasting resources that not a few smaller countries could better spend elsewhere? Might be OKAY if players knew they couldn't be used and chose to build them anyway. I just read the entire CW manual cover to cover and don't remember seeing that in the manual anywhere.