+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Map - Europa Imperialis (WIP)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Europa Imperialis Map Mod (WIP)

Update July 25th!

Massive thanks to Comontorios, RHKINC, Vanin and anyone else who has contributed so far. This wouldn't be possible without you guys!

The majority of the map is completed, but I'm currently working on adding sea provinces. Once that has been done and the localization has been added, we will be ready for our first alpha release

We are currently recruiting! I'm in dire need of anyone who can help with some of the legwork with any of the following:
    • Historical research
    • Coding (history files in particular)
    • Graphical editing

If you feel that you can contribute to any of the above, drop me a line and I'll add you to the team

Old first post:
    Hello world!

Time to introduce my new (ish) labour of love: Europa Imperialis. This will be a fairly ambitious project, but for now I want to start with baby steps.

By which I mean a brand new map, built entirely from scratch.

Provinces map (these provinces are only temporary to give me a rough idea of what the overall map will look like!):

Europe (yes, I know Greece is a little malformed...ignore that):

Middle East:

India and the Himalayas:

Map data was sourced from NASA, though I had to change the projection to Braun Stereographic to give a better (IMHO) representation of the map with less distortion.

The map is currently 2700*1478px (a little smaller than the maximum size allowed by the game). By comparison, vanilla is only 1960*1228px.

And there you have it, the map as it stands! I'll keep this thread updated with my progress as I go.

All comments and criticism are welcome
    Last edited by Cheexsta; 25-07-2012 at 18:05.
    EU: Rome, the way it should have been.
    Europa Imperialis Map Mod v0.1d

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Awaiting Pre-Roman Aboriginals, Incas etc. If you're going to make true whole world map
    My modding stuff:
    Wave's modding guide:
    a tutorial for adding countries to EU: Rome, works with EU3 too!
    Wave's modding guide #2: Understanding and creating events

Ongoing AARs:
    Letters from wAAR - An experimental Rome AAR with Epigoni Mod
    Winner of the Best character writer of the week award 1/6/12
    This is SPARTA! Can the world be dominated by squads of 300 men swinging spears and crying the name of their home country?

Legions of Rome! RISE and show them all our might!

Omg, Rome II is released. Great work and good luck with further modding.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Thanks fellas

Quote Originally Posted by Wave View Post
    Awaiting Pre-Roman Aboriginals, Incas etc. If you're going to make true whole world map
    It should be made clear that, despite the name ("Imperial Europe", which I just picked because it sounded good), this mod will only focus on what you see on the maps above. Ideally, it would have been something more like Imperia Europae ("Empires of Europe"), but I wanted the name to follow the Europa Universalis pattern.

In other news, I've fixed up Greece so it looks a little prettier and less deformed and have started populating Hispania with provinces.

Looks great Cheexsta, especially the topography that looks excellent - just look at the Dead Sea.

Some of the straits look really tight, most probably accurate - Bosphorus and Hellespont.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardradi View Post
    Looks great Cheexsta, especially the topography that looks excellent - just look at the Dead Sea.

Some of the straits look really tight, most probably accurate - Bosphorus and Hellespont.
    Thanks, the topography files are awesome for this. I'm really glad NASA had the foresight to make something so useful They're possibly a bit too bright around the coastlines (all the coasts look like cliffs!), but the mountains all look suitable dramatic

The straits haven't been separated yet I've fixed them since taking this pic (when I fixed Greece as well), they're now about 2-3 pixels wide.

Are you going to incorporate the Balearian Islands and Malta into the main Carthage province? That could solve a lot of Carthage Civil-War issues.

Also, will Britain & Ireland be included?

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Looks good.
    God's protection is better than the strongest armor or the tallest tower.
    Fan of the Week: 4/25/10 Was a recipient of one of King_Richard_XI's birthday cookies:
    Nationality: American (Dixie), Religion: Southern Baptist, Ideology: Reactionary, Issues: Jingoism
    billy bob's opinion of Mississippi
    My first AAR: Etruria: Forging an Empire (a disaster, but completed)
    My second AAR: Confessions to a Boatman: An Ottoman AAR (dead)

This is really interesting - and great work so far. Do you mind if I ask you what your plans are for adding nations etc? What time period will you be focussing on and how will the eventual geopolitical layout differ from firstly, vanilla, and secondly, the Magna Terra mod?

This is exciting stuff though. I look forward to further updates.
    PUBLICA INFERIOR: A Republic of Etruria AAR
    My first attempt at an AAR. A fledging north-Italian Republic struggles for survival in the shadow of mighty Rome.

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldLost Empire - ImmortalsPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 Beta
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Beautiful. That topology makes me cry.
    Terra Universalis II
    For EU IV
    Another kind of whole world mod
    Magna Terra
    For EU Rome VV
    The way to be Imperator of all the Old World
    Umbra Spherae
    For Crusader Kings II
    Expand your faith and realm into all the Old World

Duke of North Texas Lord Rellik's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome Gold
    Sengoku500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Wow, thats awesome. Cant wait to play on it.

While I like the idea of this, I'm not understanding the need for some 15 provinces in the Arabian desert. Hopefully that amount will be lowered, significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheexsta View Post
    Thanks, the topography files are awesome for this. I'm really glad NASA had the foresight to make something so useful They're possibly a bit too bright around the coastlines (all the coasts look like cliffs!), but the mountains all look suitable dramatic

The straits haven't been separated yet I've fixed them since taking this pic (when I fixed Greece as well), they're now about 2-3 pixels wide.
    Dropping the NASA terrain map over the top would probably look great as well.

I also think I have figured out a way to get the rivers to look better in the mountain regions. You just need to drop a transparent image with black coloured rivers onto the topography file and it will flatten out rivers valleys for you. I havent tried it yet but I am sure it will work.

@Everyone: thanks again for all the comments I'm more or less done adding provinces to Hispania and will post the results when I get the running in-game.

@Borne2Run: I hadn't considered that, actually. I'll keep the idea in mind, but in the long run I plan to change civil wars completely. And yes, Britain and Ireland will be included; the game just doesn't like islands with no water connecting them, and I haven't even started working on the water yet.

@inertiatic: for the moment, this map will just have vanilla starting dates and countries, but will certainly expand after that. I do have other plans for the timeline, though

@Camara: the topology map is the main reason I wanted to make this mod

@Gabeed: the provinces are very much temporary (I thought the wonky borders would be a dead giveaway on that); I wanted to see what the topology looked like, but the game doesn't like provinces that are too big. I'm still debating about whether to make the Arabian desert into PTI or just make them nigh-unconquerable provinces, though.

@Hardradi: that's a pretty good idea, I'll look into it when I start working on rivers

Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the Arcane

Looks good. As for Arabian desert, having it as PTI is probably the best way, since even if you do everything you can to make them hard to conquer, it will not really make the ai less likely to try (and waste lots of resources for no real gain).
    Still playing EU:Rome? Might check out my litte Rome mod

wow that looks amazing

Incredible! I hope you'll make a lot of provinces to play around.

Will you also improve gameplay in your mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
    Will you also improve gameplay in your mod?
    Eventually; I'll release the map on its own when it's done, but I have a lot of plans for the final mod

That's good since the EUR mod community is becoming more and more quiet! Any particular plan for the romans?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast